[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

WlfSamurai said:
I've been trying to get a post in for the last couple days. Things have heated up again and in worried I might not get one in before the weekend. @xarvh, can you puppet Rhapsody until then? I just don't want to fall behind again.
I'll admit I was kind of dragging my feet on a reply for you or Fet.

I'm not going to interfere if it's apart of the narrative Ivan has chosen, It's just not a narrative that I see often.

Well it's not a solo act either.

Norts and now Kacie are part of that particular story arc, and I have absolutely no idea how that's going to work out, but I'm really interested in seeing where this is all going to go.

One thing though, IIRC this particular abyssal isn't exactly like the others... we may want to look into that before we (as in the players who are involved with that particular arc) let Fangs go on a quest that will end in tears.

JayTee said:
@CrazyIvan: are you really serious about having fangs literally sacrifice herself to redeem Mirror?
I don't mind folks asking :) In short: Yep.

Basically, the reasoning goes like this:

The Exaltation criteria for a Lunar is a little fuzzy - the book essentially goes with "Like a Solar, but different". So, based on their charms, I decided there's really two 'heroic' responses to an event that the Solars don't cover as much: Adaptability, or sheer, dogged persistence.

Basically: Solars win, Lunars survive.

Combine that with Solar Bond, which is the most interesting single element of the Lunars to me (your mileage may vary), and you get the building blocks of most of my Lunar characters.

When EoTFS started, I was in another long-term PbP experimenting with the "Highly adaptable Lunar keeping his mate on the right track by reminding her of her better nature" Lunar arc, so I decided to try something different. I had also been playing a Sidereal who was very unapologetic about the Circle going to kill him in all likelihood, so I decided to play around with another somewhat fatalistic character.

And because Luna is a huge jerk, we get Cunning Fangs, who is throughly convinced that the nature of her Exaltation is to protect creation primarily through blood, screaming and tears - a great deal of all of those her own. When Walker was around, she was determined to find a way to free him, and when he died and Mirror showed up it cemented her fear - her mate's Exaltation is perma-corrupted, and isn't going to fix itself. It has to be fixed.

Cunning Fangs literally cannot picture a "Good End" for herself. And her base of power, the only way she can help save her mate is sorcery. Beyond the practical aspects of it, there's also a philosophical assertion: Charms are Creation's rule set. Sorcery is how you rewrite Creation's rules. Someone has clearly changed the rules for Solar Exaltations, and now they need to be changed back.

But this means Adamant/Solar Circle Sorcery. Which has its own station of sacrifice and is almost certainly going to demand a high price for her stuffing that much power into something that wasn't meant to carry it. Her hope is to buy enough time to use it to free Mirror before she lays her burdens down for the last time.

That's why she's picked Gaia and becoming an Akuma as her theoretical path to power (though she doesn't know it will work). She figures Gaia is one of the few beings in Creation both powerful enough and apt to understand "I have to save my love" and give her time to do it before she collects on what's owed.

TL;DR: "Heroic" doesn't mean a happy ending.

The role player in me (By rule of "your character, your story) thinks that the heroic sacrifice is an awesome story that doesn't get nearly the love it should, and that you've planned it out very nicely :)

The powergamer in me (by rule of "preserve the party at all costs") wants to know if I should have Siham puzzle out that Abyssals can be redeemed in other ways, keeping Fangs from dying. ;)

JayTee said:
The role player in me (By rule of "your character, your story) thinks that the heroic sacrifice is an awesome story that doesn't get nearly the love it should, and that you've planned it out very nicely :)
The powergamer in me (by rule of "preserve the party at all costs") wants to know if I should have Siham puzzle out that Abyssals can be redeemed in other ways, keeping Fangs from dying. ;)
There's always the next Exaltation ;)

Well CI & Kacie must be waiting on Arynne & I to finish what we're starting in Ankss...

There's many things to do around:

- the demon summoners who took down HAM (that looked dangerous enough)

- extracting the Widow from Juggernaut

- finding out more about the guys we love to hate (Words - Void Heart - Legion)

- getting a feel of what WitD has been up to & identifying the abyssals he got from the MoW

- invading the Underworld

- conquering Thorns

cyl said:
- the demon summoners who took down HAM (that looked dangerous enough)
Flicker was planning to ask Cunning Fangs about it, figuring a sorcerer might have more luck there...before she rescued Malek. Now she feels so much in Fangs' debt already that she hesitates to ask for her help again.

Malek would point out that getting revenge for a beaten lunar and taking care of what seems to be a big bad threat ain't exactly a favor.

It's just another day at work.

Arynne said:
Flicker was planning to ask Cunning Fangs about it, figuring a sorcerer might have more luck there...before she rescued Malek. Now she feels so much in Fangs' debt already that she hesitates to ask for her help again.
Cunning Fangs has, in that scene, expressed several times that she wishes she was closer to Flicker.

*Lunar Guilt*. Here I sit all day in my tower, you don't call, you don't write...

CrazyIvan said:
Burning Ankss to the ground, salting the earth, building a great pyre out of the bones of mine enemies, and distributing the spoils of war to my most worthy retainers.
Or something to that effect.
Good thing about losing Compassion dots... now I can totally agree and participate ! :D

I remember us talking about what the Five Elemental Dragons are (gods, souls of Gaia, etc). A dev recently commented on them over here

It seems the Elemental Dragons are unique entities unto themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back