[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

she needs a dedicated protector - probably a Lunar for the Defend Other Perfect Parry.
And that is a baby-sitting job that no PC should be stuck doing.

I suggest Tirana not be told why the essence went away. She doesn't need to know, and it will only screw over the PCs if she does. All she needs to know is that Lookshy fell when the essence went away.

Not that I think she'll help. I think she'll hole up and prepare her children.

The game seems to be shifting gears into Epic instead of focused on the Cross. I'm okay with this, mainly because 1) I have epic things that need doing that I want to do, and 2) there's nothing my character can do day-to-day to help the Cross.

Also, if we were to hand that job over to Tirana, she would know. Keyneya doesn't really care about those sorts of details as far as we have seen. She's just as likely to tell Tirana all about her wonderful essence dance if Tirana comes asking. But, Tirana is not the only Lunar in creation we could go to.

I suggest Tirana not be told why the essence went away. She doesn't need to know, and it will only screw over the PCs if she does. All she needs to know is that Lookshy fell when the essence went away.
She has the mean to get the information on her own, either from us or Keyneya.

I think the Circle's position will depend highly on what / if Fangs and Mirror communicate with the rest of the Circle.

I mean right now, for our characters, it looks like a fallen half crazy solar controlled by the NB is taking Fangs down with her in a circle of darkness and destruction (considering our previous interactions and the way the crazy couple leave Rhapsody).

Basically we just let the wolf in, it humped us and Creation big time, and it took one of the best sheep with it.

So far Mirror has been nothing but trouble and there is a serious risk that she will lead Fangs to her death because of her solar bond.

Fangs being a friend and a powerful ally, some may want to go to Tirana to ask her to help a sister out because they care about Fangs.

Edit: to be clear, yes, I'm pointing out that you should contact the Circle and not leave things in the dark... because from where our characters stand, it looks seriously fucked up, and at least Fangs would know it does.

But, Tirana is not the only Lunar in creation we could go to.
She's not the only ally we tried... remember what happened to Zenjo's men ?

She's the closest and more powerful, her children are strong. Surely a few dozens of her children could not hurt.

Aside from spirits (demons / gods / elementals), or asking other exalts individually for help, she's our best option if we want to partially delegate K's security.

Problem is, after she realizes how bad we screwed up she's likely to tell us to fuck off and claim the place from us very irresponsible and immature exalts.

Not that I think she'll help. I think she'll hole up and prepare her children.
If she doesn't help, then she's stupid.

What good were 300 DB drained of essence to Lookshy when the Mask attacked ? None.

Of course with her around it might change a bit, but the Mask is not alone, he has an army and he has a Juggernaut, if he comes her way she's fucked. If he comes anyone's way, they're fucked.

The only way to protect a city now is to make very powerful friends... or use the Bloom of course.

The game seems to be shifting gears into Epic instead of focused on the Cross.
It doesn't have to, but it would be logical that it did IMHO, we can't continue to play in our little sandbox when everything's falling apart around us.

The only problem with going to Tirana is it gives her more influence in Cross and such. It seems like it might be a good time for use to send an infallible messenger back to the Silver Pact and see what sort of support they might be willing to provide. That or we stick her inside of a royal warstrider devoted to protecting her. ^_^

Using the bloom is very high on my list right now. Argis is both temperate and compassionate so he isn't your guy for rash action, but the thought of flying around on some spell made fast travel sprinkling bloom spores over shadowlands has crossed my mind more than once.

cyl said:
Oh my bad, english not being my first language, that kind of subtleties tend to elude me.
What's the exact difference between worthy and worth in this context (so I can go to sleep less ignorant tonight) ?
Worth: There's a reason for us to defend her - this is true, as her dying is irksome.

Worthy: She deserves to be protected.

And yes, it's a serious epic burden, but again it's probably a good thing.
Exalts fighting for the survival of a Primordial and Creation instead of killing it is a pretty good theme.
Its a seriously un-epic burden. It's sitting around letting Didee braid your hair 99.9% of the time, combined with an occasional stunt-perfect and a dash action. If demons had perfects, Cunning Fangs could write an algorithm for it while she ate breakfast.

Arynne said:
Well, fuck me. :eek:
Fangs: "I'll bring the Neomah."

Kacie said:
True.

The game seems to be shifting gears into Epic instead of focused on the Cross. I'm okay with this, mainly because 1) I have epic things that need doing that I want to do, and 2) there's nothing my character can do day-to-day to help the Cross.
Trips to the Underworld and the Wyld for Everyone! Speaking of which, since it's going to come up: The thing Fangs was intending to ask Big K was "How do I find Gaia?". If she's gone, Fangs is going to have to do this the old fashioned way.

Feantari said:
Also, if we were to hand that job over to Tirana, she would know. Keyneya doesn't really care about those sorts of details as far as we have seen. She's just as likely to tell Tirana all about her wonderful essence dance if Tirana comes asking. But, Tirana is not the only Lunar in creation we could go to.
If we hand that job over to Tirana, she's going to eat Keyneya. Crunchy, delicious primordial kabob.

cyl said:
I think the Circle's position will depend highly on what / if Fangs and Mirror communicate with the rest of the Circle.

I mean right now, for our characters, it looks like a fallen half crazy solar controlled by the NB is taking Fangs down with her in a circle of darkness and destruction (considering our previous interactions and the way the crazy couple leave Rhapsody).

Basically we just let the wolf in, it humped us and Creation big time, and it took one of the best sheep with it.

So far Mirror has been nothing but trouble and there is a serious risk that she will lead Fangs to her death because of her solar bond.

Fangs being a friend and a powerful ally, some may want to go to Tirana to ask her to help a sister out because they care about Fangs.

Edit: to be clear, yes, I'm pointing out that you should contact the Circle and not leave things in the dark... because from where our characters stand, it looks seriously fucked up.
She may or may not contact the Circle. Though I will not it is also in the Circle's power to contact her.

cyl said:
If she doesn't help, then she's stupid.
Tirana's help, like Fangs', can be summarized by Oscar Wilde: "When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers."

I don't know what Tirana knows about K so far, but I have a feeling that if she does know and realizes what happened, she will most likely leave us no choice.

It's our interest to keep her in the dark, but I doubt that we have someone able to do that without raising suspicions. (a socialite could lie through his teeth with a socialize excellency... but it's using essence in front of an elder lunar who can probably see if essence is spent).

As for contacting Fangs, how would we do that ? Did the crazy couple go to her manse ? The one guarded by an army of demons ?

Argis is probably making the trip soon so I'll show you how. :-P Busy at work today, but maybe I'll get to it.

Ironically, Fangs has the social chops to do alright with Tirana (the Lunar SexBomb combo is really mote efficient) and is talented at lying with out lying. "I haven't even begun to figure out what happened that night Elder" is a true statement.

cyl said:
As for contacting Fangs, how would we do that ? Did the crazy couple go to her manse ? The one guarded by an army of demons ?
Argis has Wind Carried Words Technique, and is likely a message Fangs would pay attention to.

Her Manse isn't guarded by an army of Demons yet - that's in Plans for the Summer. She's in the process of summoning them. Beyond that, every member of the Circle save Malek has an open invitation, none have which have been rescinded. If they come not loaded for war, Cunning Fangs is the type of person to take her obligations as a host very seriously.

Kacie said:

True.
Guys... so far that's exactly what we have been doing.

We did our best to baby sit a few thousands humans and help them survive.

Doing that for Big K only adds more to the logistics... but not that much.

cyl said:
Guys... so far that's exactly what we have been doing.
We did our best to baby sit a few thousands humans and help them survive.

Doing that for Big K only adds more to the logistics... but not that much.
The scope and mechanism with which you have to go about doing it are entirely different. The only similarity is the end goal of "You don't die". Because no, it doesn't add "not that much" to the logistics.

The people in the Cross needs farms and medicine and the rule of law. Big K clearly needs someone always on hand capable of deflecting "Perfect or Die" attacks. That's a world of difference.

Ironically, Fangs has the social chops to do alright with Tirana (the Lunar SexBomb combo is really mote efficient) and is talented at lying with out lying. "I haven't even begun to figure out what happened that night Elder" is a true statement.
If she's satisfied with that answer, then again, she's stupid :D

Argis has Wind Carried Words Technique, and is likely a message Fangs would pay attention to.
Her Manse isn't guarded by an army of Demons yet - that's in Plans for the Summer. She's in the process of summoning them. Beyond that, every member of the Circle save Malek has an open invitation, none have which have been rescinded. If they come not loaded for war, Cunning Fangs is the type of person to take her obligations as a host very seriously.
Argis needs to know where his target is to send the message, it's not as powerful as the Messenger, and I wasn't sure that you would go to your Manse considering we could be going after Mirror and we'd obviously look there first.

The scope and mechanism with which you have to go about doing it are entirely different. The only similarity is the end goal of "You don't die". Because no, it doesn't add "not that much" to the logistics.
The people in the Cross needs farms and medicine and the rule of law. Big K clearly needs someone always on hand capable of deflecting "Perfect or Die" attacks. That's a world of difference.
The people of Cross and now Mirunda need Guardians. There is no way that you can let a city you rule without protection.

So far we have taken turns protecting Cross and moving on our own projects, now we have 2 more points to secure. Mirunda, and K's Lair. I don't think it's that complicated to do with the right "tools" and allies.

cyl said:
Argis needs to know where his target is to send the message, it's not as powerful as the Messenger, and I wasn't sure that you would go to your Manse considering we could be going after Mirror and we'd obviously look there first.
Fangs can't conceive of a better place to be if you're "Going after Mirror". Leaving aside her being nigh positive that Mirror can plow through most of the Circle right now, its likely to be the most defensible place she can find. It is after all the seat of her power.

TL;DR: "Bring it"

cyl said:
The people of Cross and now Mirunda need Guardians. There is no way that you can let a city you rule without protection.
So far we have taken turns protecting Cross and moving on our own projects, now we have 2 more points to secure. Mirunda, and K's Lair. I don't think it's that complicated to do with the right "tools" and allies.
There is a difference between summoning armies and acting as a champion of a people and Standing Guard Over A Defenseless Insect With No Sense Of Self-Preservation That Is The Target Of Sudden, Insanely Lethal Assassination Attempts.

Okay then contacting her will be simpler than I thought and indeed Malek will sit this one out.

CrazyIvan said:
There is a difference between summoning armies and acting as a champion of a people and Standing Guard Over A Defenseless Insect With No Sense Of Self-Preservation That Is The Target Of Sudden, Insanely Lethal Assassination Attempts.
Not to me.

They are both helpless creatures who aren't able to defend themselves when facing superior opposition.

I'd say it's even more complicated to protect a thousand people than an insect actually.

EDIT: but the result is the same. You stay on point and stand guard until the enemy comes at your protege.

As with the other locations we need to secure, we can take turns.

Instead of one of us stuck, it has to be three now.

It would have been the case if we had included Nathir in our Empire sooner.

cyl said:
Not to me.
They are both helpless creatures who aren't able to defend themselves when facing superior opposition.

I'd say it's even more complicated to protect a thousand people than an insect actually.
That's part of the thing - and why I suggested that guarding K is a decidedly un-epic achievement. It's something that requires standing there, and responding by rote with a single Charm.

It's possibly the least epic, most boring, most deprotagonizing thing I can think of for an Exalt.

What we need is a little talisman like the one the elder in the corebook has -- crush it, and be instantly transported to K's side.

Well, that or multiple characters with perfect parries, so we can trade off.

I agree with you on some level.

But I don't think it needs to be a burden for the whole group, the player guarding K and the game for several reasons.

- Xarvh can make things interesting for the one keeping guard (even without unleashing assassins, having the opportunity to chat with a Primordial is rather unique !)

- K's security can be delegated to allies (Zenjo or other allies we could meet / create in our background as Feantari suggested)

- Protecting K's doesn't mean automatically excluding a character from a scene that happens in Cross.

But it's an Empire game, like in the army or civil service, it can be rather deprotagonizing stuff.

Doing what needs to be done counts more than what one wants to do in the end.

Just take a look at the way I spent my xp... I think I've spent not even a quarter on Malek's personal power... everything got swallowed by what I could do for the dominion at the time. Not that I'm complaining, I'll keep on doing that.

The trick is mixing the deprotagonizing with the protagonizing.

Using your obligations and turning them to your advantage pretty much like what I'm doing with Nathir.

Arynne said:
What we need is a little talisman like the one the elder in the corebook has -- crush it, and be instantly transported to K's side.
Well, that or multiple characters with perfect parries, so we can trade off.
Fangs is likely picking up one shortly. I've had enough of bad defenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back