[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

I'm having a hard time not writing responses with my caps lock on.

I'm saying as a player, look at what you are a doing to the game (and another persons character) with your character and evaluate if it is worth it and and if your character would even really act that way. If you want to have him go all limit break and freak out then fine, do it and be done. But acting like a dick to someone else for years and years and expecting them to take everything you say to heart is ridiculous and we all know it.

(Also, the once upon a time someone with blue shoes stepped on my toe and I hate blue shoes excuse doesn't work in situations like this)

As a player, I am playing an intense and angry character.

He doesn't like violence and never killed anyone, believing that death is final blah blah blah...

In the current situation, considering all the elements (his background, his curse, why Berek died, what Mirror is saying she wants to do) I see no other way for him to react if I want to stay true to him.

Fangs appears to be supporting the idea of Mirror's payback and that is something he clearly has a problem with, even more considering he doesn't know Mirror. For now she's just a deathknight... so not really someone he trusts.And then she speaks of revenge.

Walker died because he did a "bad thing" and instead of discouraging her mate to seek revenge, Fangs supports her in her quest.

The situation (see how well the DK recieved Walker when we were there) this revenge has great SNAFU potential, and may even get the couple killed (Dragon Kings Elders are not helpless and they can know sorcery too, not celestial circle but still enough to be dangerous foes).

He fears that they will become even more destructive together and acts on it passionately.

@CI: I hope you know that I am not playing Malek the way I do to piss you off or shut Fangs down at every turn.

I really like what you do with Fangs and I enjoy our regular disagreements as players, it's good to have someone who forces you to think things through and challenges your opinions.

I just don't see Malek as being okay with the whole concept of revenge generally, and even more specifically applied to Mirror's case.

Challenging angrily Fangs is just his way of asking her "what the hell are you doing ?" because he does not understand why she is going along with that.

Now... if some feel really uncomfortable with that character and the way I am playing him I can totally switch to another with a less intense personality a much less dramatic background and a softer temper.

Melia could easily do.

It's been a while since I haven't played the little minx, she has a different personality with none of her brother's flaws and she's not completely new, so that's still something.

I have no problem with that at all if it causes less stress for everyone myself included (it's a tiring exercise being Malek).

I enjoy our regular disagreements as players, it's good to have someone who forces you to think things through and challenges your opinions.
I think the main thing here is this. ^

Regular disagreements shouting matches are kinda getting old and seem to be severely impacting the character of Cunning Fangs. Not to mention making almost every group meeting into an argument between the them. A lot of that I put on Malek because he's typically the one that ratchets things up a notch and keeps ignoring her feelings/interests/expertise, etc.

If you'd rather we staged in intervention IC we can attempt such a thing. Its annoying because I think many people in the room would agree with Malek, at least in part, but who wants to stand up and agree with sir rantsalot? He makes his statements so broad and inflammatory that there is little room to work with them.

I'm going to make this brief because I'm working tonight. The problem I have is two-fold:

1. "Regular disagreements" are becoming way too regular. It's becoming tiresome to write, which is why I'm having Fangs leave. I simply don't want to deal with it anymore with the frequency it's coming up.

2. The problem is that, unless Fangs wholly agrees with Malek, he'll go on a rant that immediately paints her into a corner. There's never a suggestion that doesn't come paired with an accusation, etc. Even "I oppose revenge" gets met with "Your priorities aren't in line, you should be doing *this* instead" - when she's already doing that. His comments are, as folks have noted, negatively productive. Fangs is more likely to do something now, not less, and her leaving has gone from a polite fiction to make everyone feel good to a genuine separation.

My problem is playing Fangs at all seems to be reduced to two choices. Either fight with Malek going around around in circles, which is a position I don't like being put in, or just cave. I'm not particularly interested in either, so I'm trying a third approach.

I agree with Feantari & Crazy Ivan.

Malek is really frustrating. First, because he doesn't listen - or if he listens, he doesn't acknowledge that the other person might have a valid point.

Second, Malek doesn't learn. He repeats the same behavior again that caused Fangs to leave last time. Flicker even asked him to stop earlier in this meeting, and here he is doing the same thing again.

Making this worse - Cyl, you continue Malek's arguments in the OOC thread, pretty much as Malek. There's no "hey, we're actually all friends, lets discuss this in a way that isn't a rabid black/white rant." That makes it frustrating Out-Of-Character in addition to In Character. Please don't mix the two together, or if you want to continue the discussion, please don't frame it in absolutes.

I do separate IC / OOC, I'm certainly not angry at CI and I sure hope he's not angry at me. At least not that much.

IC:the fatigue and stress haven't magically gone away, we're still in the same scene, and I am really sorry to have made him such a burden to bear.

I am planning for him to change his ways as I said before, without loosing too much of his line of thought but sweetening its expression (raising Manipulation sounds like a plan).

If you feel the character's ideas and views and the way he hammers them on people is seriously problematic and doesn't give much room for alternative thoughts (normally that's the Zenith's job ! :rolleyes:), then I can switch to a more carefree light-hearted character without problem, I'm enjoying the game with you guys not just one character who's being a jerky bully because every one dies around him and he hates that.

Now, to move forward.

He spoke his mind and gave all his arguments to the exception of one he keeps up his sleeve (the one I mentioned above).

Now it's time for the others to shine. No more rant from him this chapter, promise ! :)

I skimmed over the posts a bit.

I don't want to enter in the merit of the discussion, but since most people seem to side against Malek, I just find more practical to change him rather than all the rest.

I am kinda tired of all this mess.

If Malek and Fangs are to be frenemies, at least make it fun.

So, cyl, you are an awesome player, far experienced than me, and this game owes you a lot.

I would like you to trigger Malek's Limit Break, go violent if the case, and then have Malek realize that the way he's doing things now is not working, or something to that effect.

Malek is pragmatic enough to realize when he's just headbutting a wall too hard for his head.

This said, I just wanted to tell you guys that a huge plot device may soon fall on Siham, which is the reason why I temporarily interrupted my slumber.

No need for flowers if I'm doing something wrong ;)

I'd like to leave some room for the others who haven't posted yet to do so though.

Now Fangs gone, the only one to go berserk on would be Mirror, but he would only go that far if after all that has been said she says something that makes him think that she'll go and avenge Walker.

The prospect of a "city filled with innocents" under the threat of an abyssal is clearly something that could drive him nuts (I mean even more).

Playing the crazy angry solar to the end could be fun and luckily for Mirror, he ain't much of a fighter and he doesn't kill either.

Anyone putting himself between him and the abyssal would clearly make him realize there is something wrong... could also lead him on more introspection and talks with big K.

You always deserve flowers cyl.

And even if sometimes I feel like slapping you in the face brutally and repeatedly, I think it is also important to let you know tha you are appreciated.

An another very important note, JayTee may join the game, likely as crafter/savant.

Check his profile here: http://www.rpdom.com/members/jaytee.16788/

On my part, he seems to be a teamplayer and a honest and reliable player.

With him (or someone else) in, I don't plan to recruit anyone for a good long while.

If you have any reason against adding JayTee in particular or any other player in general, PM me 'cause I won't be reading much the threads.

Salutations, all. If you'll have me, I look forward to finally playing a mad scientist Twilight for you.

If not, hope you still enjoy your game! :D

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm going to be going on an archive binge tomorrow, any threads or posts I should pay special interest to?

Yay for JayTee!!!!

You'll fit very well here, I think.

And holy shit, guys. I go to a wedding over the weekend and this get's crazier. Just reading now...

Hooh, boy. The most important ones are the info ones on the Cross, its people and its Big Forgotten First Age Secret.

Also the recent ones, since they involve our main concerns right now: the Deathlords, Sanctuary and the First Fundamentalist Church of the UCS run by the Dragon Kings of Ankss.

Oops - just posted, WlfSamurai. :(

Do your post, and I'll edit/delete my post, and respond to yours.

OK, this is gonna be a problem. I'm going to have to edit my posts in the other thread.

After this, Flicker will have to go back to the Valley.

Arynne said:
Hooh, boy. The most important ones are the info ones on the Cross, its people and its Big Forgotten First Age Secret.
Also the recent ones, since they involve our main concerns right now: the Deathlords, Sanctuary and the First Fundamentalist Church of the UCS run by the Dragon Kings of Ankss.
Got it, thanks :)

Thing is, Mirror likes Flicker!

Sorry, Arynne!

Mirror is planning to wait on Ankss - Flicker should have time to prepare, if Argis still wants to do recon with Mirror and Fangs. (Crazy Ivan & I agreed we'd do recon first, then deal with Ankss, for various reasons.)

If Argis wants nothing to do with Mirror after this, however - that I understand, too. :(

We'll work it out.

You're giving her an existential crisis. Not your fault. She's prone to them. It's why she's called 'Flickering Claw', remember. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back