• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Elder Tale RP (Log Horizon) - Notes

When you make a character, I advise you to wait until the barrier is being restored to jump in. (A big battle will ensue, thus having all the new character's have a way to slide in)

AnimeLover1116 said:
@Alistair
so umm got any advice on how I jump in here?
Jumping in on the AB-group wouldn't make any sense since the monsters are higher-leveled than your character. My other character, Mairi, is in the main city, so you could join her. Just make sure that you don't walk away after you introduce yourself. Mairi won't have a reason to follow.

AnimeLover1116 said:
I know it may be kinda annoying to you guys, im sorry but can someone give me a brief summary of whats happened till now?
The shield around the city of Akihabara was weakened by an attacking frost giant so Alistair is leading a group to obtain a crystal that will fuel the generator. Mairi is trying to solve the problem without leaving the city just to spite Alistair (the character).

@AnimeLover1116 your character makes me wonder, if someone logged into elder tale before death was imminent or if their body was sick with say cancer, would they still live within the elder tale world? Really interesting to consider from the anime/manga.

Alistair said:
@AnimeLover1116 your character makes me wonder, if someone logged into elder tale before death was imminent or if their body was sick with say cancer, would they still live within the elder tale world? Really interesting to consider from the anime/manga.
Yes, they would live. It's like how Tohya could walk in the game even though he couldn't in real life.

Alistair said:
@Alistair Yeah my BF and I did a SAO like RP and I had a character who had a brain tumor in the game (the original SAO helmets covered the head) so she BECAME a mind trapped in the game, or like data. Basically like how Rundlehouse became an adventurer, I thought IF she died, she would be the same. One of the people of the land with adventurer status
of course this is all in my head, idk where its going to actually go but I'm happy to go in that direction later on

From my currently knowledge of both Log Horizon and Sword Art Online, I would have to agree that while you remained in the game world you would stay alive. However, should things progress to the point where return is possible or forced on the players, the person whose body has died on the other end of the connection would also die upon being logged out or forced back to the "real" world since they would not have a functioning body to return to with their consciousness.

So you are saying, if my character is "Deceased" in the real world. However their spirit or psych are trapped in the game.

They will continue living until their conscious reaches reality again, since there will be nothing to return to?

Just making sure I got this right.

It all sounds fucking fantastic to be honest..... I'm tempted for my character or my next character if i have one, to be suffering from a similar case.

Shineko said:
From my currently knowledge of both Log Horizon and Sword Art Online, I would have to agree that while you remained in the game world you would stay alive. However, should things progress to the point where return is possible or forced on the players, the person whose body has died on the other end of the connection would also die upon being logged out or forced back to the "real" world since they would not have a functioning body to return to with their consciousness.
ishnorb said:
So you are saying, if my character is "Deceased" in the real world. However their spirit or psych are trapped in the game.
They will continue living until their conscious reaches reality again, since there will be nothing to return to?

Just making sure I got this right.

It all sounds fucking fantastic to be honest..... I'm tempted for my character or my next character if i have one, to be suffering from a similar case.
Yeah so my character never wants to return to the real world...yup thats what I wanted lol and I was going to have her real body die so that happened.

Wait didn't that guy in SAO like download his mind into the computer system?

Based on my current knowledge of the both Log Horizon and SAO (Sword Art Online), this would hold true. That is because your "spirit/psych/consciousness" is now trapped inside the game with a new body. However, leaving the game would return that element of who you are back to the body in reality causing 1 of the 2 parts needed for life/existence to be missing and therefore death would follow.

During the original arc of SAO, you ran into several characters that were completely imbedded into the game world. However, in SAO (believe it was 2nd season), a player did have their body die and so they did not continue in the artificial world. However, at that time, the game system was no longer hijacked and the full dive gear was working properly meaning your entire essence was not being pulled completely into the game. But this could be used as a counter argument as to why you might still randomly die should your body die in reality. Since there is not currently an incident in canon, we would have to give the ultimate decision to the game master's interpretation of the world.

I'm not sure if applying SAO logic to Log Horizon is a good way to go. In SAO, everyone is in a game. In Log Horizon, everyone is in a world that uses a game's mechanics.

Thesmashbro said:
I'm not sure if applying SAO logic to Log Horizon is a good way to go. In SAO, everyone is in a game. In Log Horizon, everyone is in a world that uses a game's mechanics.
Ur right and thats y I figured my character would be one of the people of the land. Like how...uhh Rundlehouse (I think?) did

AnimeLover1116 said:
Ur right and thats y I figured my character would be one of the people of the land. Like how...uhh Rundlehouse (I think?) did
Rundelhous Kode, just like all People of the Land, only exists in Elder Tale. They are the residents ever since it was a just game. They're NPCs. Are you sure you want your character to be one?

Rundlehouse is actually a bad example because he was truly a person of the land, he wasn't a consciousness transferred into the game.

A better example would be the kid who was in a wheelchair in reality but in-game can walk and move normally. This indicates that the players are not actually in their normal bodies but a fully working copy of those bodies that their consciousness was transferred into (creating a similar situation to SAO). However, the method of this transference into this new world and details are unknown at the time so it would be hard to create a completely accurate assessment on what the effects would be. It could be that the bodies are copies but instead their original bodies completed healed and restored. However, there are elements in the 2 seasons so far of Log Horizon that make me think this is more likely to be a consciousness transfer instead of original body being healed. With a complete consciousness transfer, the system in place could still create your body based on your minds knowledge of yourself for physical features (looks). With this scenario, the body could be treated as nothing more than image data so skills/effects/tech that allows you to transport/teleport across servers would be able to do so without having to create a new body and leave an old body behind. To me, this method would make more sense than the whole body transference and it healing your body upon entering the world for situations like the scythe that went out of control and sent the guild leader to a new server and the resulting issue with his assistant guild leader's hand not regenerating since all the data stayed intact, just on different servers.

*** Quick Note ***

I actually think the idea of playing a person of the land could be quite amusing and fun. If a similar contract deal is struck with your character and someone like Shiroe, you could become a full true adventurer. However, until the time that happened, your life would literally be in danger should you ever be killed since you will not respawn like other adventurers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thesmashbro said:
Rundelhous Kode, just like all People of the Land, only exists in Elder Tale. They are the residents ever since it was a just game. They're NPCs. Are you sure you want your character to be one?
Shineko said:
Rundlehouse is actually a bad example because he was truly a person of the land, he wasn't a consciousness transferred into the game.
A better example would be the kid who was in a wheelchair in reality but in-game can walk and move normally. This indicates that the players are not actually in their normal bodies but a fully working copy of those bodies that their consciousness was transferred into (creating a similar situation to SAO). However, the method of this transference into this new world and details are unknown at the time so it would be hard to create a completely accurate assessment on what the effects would be. It could be that the bodies are copies but instead their original bodies completed healed and restored. However, there are elements in the 2 seasons so far of Log Horizon that make me think this is more likely to be a consciousness transfer instead of original body being healed. With a complete consciousness transfer, the system in place could still create your body based on your minds knowledge of yourself for physical features (looks). With this scenario, the body could be treated as nothing more than image data so skills/effects/tech that allows you to transport/teleport across servers would be able to do so without having to create a new body and leave an old body behind. To me, this method would make more sense than the whole body transference and it healing your body upon entering the world for situations like the scythe that went out of control and sent the guild leader to a new server and the resulting issue with his assistant guild leader's hand not regenerating since all the data stayed intact, just on different servers.
Ok ture bad example...Ill say this then...it will work as character development when she talked about the cnacer and having to figure out if shes actually dead, or if she will if they ever go back

Regardless, I think the idea is wonderful. Going for a normal adventurer style character and not an NPC, I think it would probably be best to leave it as you were sick before entering log horizon and what has happened to your body since then is unknown. We could easily get a ton of mileage off of things left like that and could hope that with more new episodes and info that the answer to this would eventually present itself

Shineko said:
Regardless, I think the idea is wonderful. Going for a normal adventurer style character and not an NPC, I think it would probably be best to leave it as you were sick before entering log horizon and what has happened to your body since then is unknown. We could easily get a ton of mileage off of things left like that and could hope that with more new episodes and info that the answer to this would eventually present itself
Yay! agreed

Happy New Year everyone. Hope everyone had a great holiday season and will be returning soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back