Captive, Kidnapped by a Pirate [Inactive]

A soft exhale escaped him. The pirate gave a small smile as he heard Adelaide wandering the chambers, knowing she had chosen not to drown herself. Yet. "The apples are from Caister," he said weakly. "You'll like them."

What Christopher claimed was true. As Adelaide sunk her teeth into the sweet red fruit, she thought of home, summer, when the apples were at their best. No doubt it was from Caister. Whether or not it was on purpose they were in the room was beyond her, it brought a little happiness back into her life.

Adelaide grabbed a second apple and a small chunk of bread from the table and nervously made her way to the Captain. Surely the doctor would come and check on him later, but she said she'd watch him, too.

"Are you hungry?" She asked, kneeling beside the bed.

Christopher hated being bound to his bed. Sailing the sea was what he lived and breathed for, not moping around beneath the covers and bending to the will of his crew. Assuredly they would all understand his need to save the young girl; they were a band of foul pirates, but good-natured ones at that. Still, he yearned to be among them and give his own messages of encouragement and direction.

Sighing, the captain looked out the window to watch the sea. "A bit," he admitted.

Wordlessly, she tore off a piece of the bread and held it out for him. She thought he might be able to at least move his arm to pick it up, if she had to hand feed a grown adult her face would heat up with embarrassment. That was something nurses did, or lovers at that, and she was certainly neither.

"Here. And I brought you some water." She eyed the goblet once.

Adelaide waited for him to take the food. She was unsure what she was doing. Here she was, a captive, feeding her captor so he wouldn't die. In any other instance of course she would've taken the opportunity to kill the man, she'd be free, but not him. Christopher had been too kind for her, and it piqued her interest. What made her so special that he would save a drowning princess, maybe it really was just a prize, but still. She wanted to know.

The snark settled back in, as if it had never left. "Why are you doing this?" he asked in an almost mocking fashion. "If it's out of pity, don't bother. If it's out of a need to apologize for you little stunt, once again, don't bother. I don't need either. I was fine without them before, and I will be now."

Still, he took the bread gratefully and bit into it, swallowing.

Adelaide sat back on her legs and scowled at Christopher. She hated to admit he was right, but she would. "Because you were right and I was wrong. It's not so bad here, and I was being pathetic." The girl stood up and put her arms on her hips in a sassy manner.

"Besides, would you rather I left the goblet on the table for you to hobble and get?" She raised an eyebrow and reached out with one hand to tap the area next to his bullet wound. "Just..." Adelaide's face fell, her confidence gone now. He had riled her up, he always found a way to get to her. "Just let me help you. I can't do anything else."

You were right and I was wrong. He didn't think those words would be so sweet to hear, but he smiled nonetheless. "Very pathetic," he added.

"Are you saying you would let a wounded king get his own goblet? My, my. What a loving person you turned out to be, aye?" It was clear that Kenway was teasing her, but much like the princess, he was helpless as well and could do only what his limited power allowed.
How ironic. "I'll take that water, then."

"Loving, aye Captain." She said through gritted teeth.

He truly had sparked something inside her. She felt anger, was irritated, but it felt like he'd given her a little of her strength back. Although grateful to feel normal, she was mad he was the one to help her.

Adelaide picked up the goblet and held it out, her pinkie flexed out of habit. "And, you're not a King, you're a Captain. I'm a Princess, and that's that."

A little more respect would be desired.

"I'm the king of my ship. My country. Captain, king, emperor, call it what you will. My subjects are loyal, which is more than you can say for yourself." He took a few sips of the water and wished it was wine, or stronger.

Does she not know?

"Just stop!" She yelled. Adelaide threw her hands in the air and shook her head in anger. "I will not be insulted by a pirate. Where you have maybe 30? 50? loyal subjects, I had to worry about the lives of thousands be attacked by the likes of you. Of course some of them won't be loyal when they see me stuck in my castle, never coming down, with a King who'd kill anyone who lays a hand on his daughter. No one loves the caged Princess of Caister. You'll never understand it, Kenway."

She heaved and panted, furious he would question her subjects loyalty. What an ass! A complete and total- Adelaide pushed her hands through her hair and blinked back frustrated tears before she plopped down at a chair near the table, the profile of her face just visible, illuminated by the same candle she'd left burning on the table.

"Even if I am loyal to them, I'll always be high born. Out of touch."

The captain listened to her monologue, and when she was finished he began to laugh. He laughed with such force that his wound nearly reopened and the crew outside looked at the door with concern.

"Oh, you precious little princess," he mocked with scattered chuckles. "Are you really so oblivious to the things going on outside your castle walls? Perhaps you really are just a doll in a dollhouse." Kenway shook his head and attempted to push himself into a sitting position, a hand on his wound.

"Your people are about as loyal as a flea to a dog. Everyone will be fighting for the crown and each citizen will be supporting their ruling lord or lady. A war, princess. That's what you've been so keen to ignore. A war is on the brink, so while I understand I have less than a hundred men at my call I still count myself luckier than you."

"I am oblivious. My only friend was a servant boy, and I never was allowed to leave." She huffed. "This is my first time even seeing the ocean, even though I live so near to it."

War? Surely he couldn't be serious. Adelaide hadn't heard the slightest whisper of a rumor that there would be a war. It was understandable that now she was gone it could happen, but not any other time. No, it wasn't possible.

"Then what am I doing here, Kenway?" She sighed, defeated. His mocking and general attitude would win out against her dying will. It was only the day before that she'd jumped ship, or two, she couldn't remember. She wasn't at full strength just yet. "You could've left me in my dollhouse, as you put it, and I wouldn't be your problem. The fleas would've eaten the dog, and I wouldn't be a problem, and life goes on."

Such is the life of a royal.

"I thought perhaps you had some sense in you, enough to be spared and placed as queen when the war was over." It was only half a lie. "But I don't think a girl ready to jump ship rather than wait for rescue is much of a bloody queen at all! A peasant would do that kind of shit. You are responsible for the care of thousands but you would have rather died to spite a pirate; pathetic, useless!" He shook his head. "I should never have saved you at all."

He should not have been so harsh on her, he knew. But she was beginning to make old feelings rise, feelings he thought were lost to the depths just like her will. If he was to complete this mission successfully and bring peace to the world, such things could not be allowed to happen. Better to push her away than embrace her.

The pirate struggled to stand, though he managed to do so (miraculously) and he downed an entire bottle of pain medicine in nearly one gulp. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a country to take care of.
Without giving up hope."

Pathetic

Useless

Adelaide felt the words tear at her heart. All for being scared and afraid, what she had done had set an impression in Kenway's mind. She was no queen, and he regretted saving her now.

"You regret saving me, you think I'm a terrible ruler, are you damn sure you don't want me to jump back into the ocean?" She screamed at him angrily. "Just kill me! Take your gold, sell me, pawn me off then if you hate having me here!"

Damn the tears, she struggled to keep them down. The quiet Adelaide, normally a bookworm and a terrible social butterfly, she'd been pushed to be angry and it didn't suit her. The emotions settled in her stomach that she'd yelled, and it only earned her a sick feeling of regret.

She curled up in the hammock like usual and hummed to herself. It was all she could do anymore, sing that silly song. The first line burst through the fog of her mind, a stupid time to do so.

"I'm lonesome since I crossed the hill,

And o'er the moorland sedgy

Such heavy thoughts my heart do fill,

Since parting with my Addy."

Adelaide remembered now. Her named rhymed with the one in the song, Betsy, so the boy replaced it. She mouthed the words again, lest she forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
The captain forced out a shaky sigh and listened to her song, remembering all the words in his head. Two children danced in his mind; one with long, beautiful dark hair and lacy dress, the other with rags and a mop of dirty blonde on his head.

Christopher chuckled and shook his head. "I never want you to die, princess. Otherwise I never would have saved you in the first place."

"Then what do you want?" Adelaide cried. "All you do is tell me what an awful, terrible, Queen I am. I thought I was going to die, I was scared, and all you do is remind me that I can't do anything."

She sat up unsteadily in the hammock and glared at him with tears in her eyes. The girl was furious. There was nothing positive Christopher said to her. For what reasons she were being kept alive were unknown, and he claimed there was a war. What was the point? The game was tiring, and the knowledge just out of her reach.

"You should've let me drown then." She sobbed, not bothering to wipe her face. "Horrible Queen, filthy peasant, useless, talking loot, to you I'm nothing. What do you WANT?" Adelaide lowered her head so her face was covered by her messy brown hair. She hadn't been able to so much as bathe in a week, and she still wore the same, now tattered, white dress from her party.

"What do I want?!" he shouted back, the anger infecting him equally. "I want peace, Addy. I want the world to be safe again, and if I can't have that then at least I can find a distant island and give the people of my ship a decent home, a decent life." His coughs brought blood from his lungs, and he waved her away. "You need to rely on yourself for your answers, princess. The only one who can change your outlook is yourself. I can't teach you, not do I want to. That time is done."

"No one calls me Addy." She said quietly. At the sight of blood she raced to his side, despite his protests. He waved her away, but she wouldn't budge. "Get back in bed, idiot."

It still wasn't the answer she was looking for. These were things he wanted, true, but she wanted to know how she tied into this. What made this pirate come to Caister just for her. The real question she should have been asking was why her? What did Christopher want with the last heir if he didn't intend to use her for the crown or pawn her?

Adelaide forced him towards the bed as best she could, cautious with where she set her hands on his body. "You're being a hypocrite, telling me not to give up, and here you are yelling at me until your lungs bleed. Get in bed." She almost laughed, but she was so angry with him the sound was drowned. "I'm asking the wrong question, but fine. You don't seem to care to answer me anyways."

"Pirate," he said with a chuckle. "If hypocrisy is the only crime you accuse me of, that's a goddamn blessing."

Daniel rushed into the room. "I heard shouting, what's going on?"

"The princess is reopening my wounds," Christopher replied, "by saying things so humorous I can't help but laugh."

"You're awful!" Adelaide screeched before she slapped him across the face and stormed from the cabin. Daniel stared shocked at the princess before turning back towards Christopher.

The girl paced uneasily near the edge of the vessel, every eye on her in case she jumped. She gripped the railing and fought the urge to scream. Why was he so intolerable? He riled the girl up from an otherwise calm state. Adelaide was calm by nature, she loved reading, and couldn't hold a conversation, but Christopher? He was just like that servant boy. Always toggling between jokes and teasing. The only difference was the servant boy was at least kind to her, even though he had to be.

Adelaide didn't know where to turn, unfamiliar with the ship, she headed down and paced towards the brig. Sure, it was rank, but it would be easy enough to find her here if anyone looked.

The captain couldn't help amusement, even as he rubbed his face. There was still a spark in her and he would devote himself to it's full ignition.

Days passed quietly. Christopher never liked the humdrum of superficial sea life. He wanted action, ports to raid, booze to drink and criminals to slaughter. Recruits for his country. Crossings of blades. What he was born for.

Garen's Well was their new destination, including various stops along the way including Orilon, New Castle, and the spatters of islands in the surrounding area. It would take long enough to reach the Well and Christopher was getting impatient. Anxious even, but he would admit it to no one.

At least he had control of his ship again. The captain stood and gripped the wheel in one hand, compass in the other, a cautious Uati standing closely by in case something happened to his fearless leader.

Adelaide had finally been able to change from the graying dress into something fresh. Although it made her look more like a wench than anything else, it would have to do. Mama lent the girl a pair of proper boots so she didn't have to wear the fresh white slippers, the two were actually quite close in age, and Adelaide was starting to find a bit of a friend in the girl.

Now, instead of sticking out in her pale garb, she wore a dress of deep emerald with a leather corset which accentuated her already small frame into one with curves in all the places the princess needed. It wasn't what she would have picked, but it was better than sticking out everywhere she walked on deck, not that it would help much.

Adelaide sat on deck next to Ana, both had small pieces of bread in their hands. They were watching two pirates, supposed to be mopping, pretend to sword fight with the end of their brooms.

"They're doing it wrong." Adelaide smiled. She knew how to fight with a sword, and watching them go at it had given her something of an amusing afternoon. "His stance is terrible." Adelaide laughed and ate the rest of her bread.

"You're doing it wrong!" Christopher shouted from the helm, hopping over the railing and landing like a cat in front of his chambers. "Your stance is terrible."

Ana giggled. "Two minds think alike, right Addy?"

"Don't leave your extremities out in open unless you want them cut off. Bend your knees. Good footwork makes a good swordsman." Christopher drew his sword. "Shall I demonstrate?"

"Ana, please." Adelaide hissed. She didn't want to agree with her, but the man knew his swords.

As Christopher jumped down from the helm, Adelaide stood up and jokingly took the mop out of the pirate's hands. The crew seemed comfortable enough in presence now, and didn't eye her when she got close to the side. Even in the flowing dress, Adelaide planted her feet properly and pointed the stick towards the other pirate.

However, Christopher drew his sword, and a stick was no defense against a sword. She put the mop on the ground, hand on her opposite hip.

"Oh Captain, my Captain, please allow me to do the honor of showing your crew how to fight." Adelaide said in mock honor, bowing with the mop still in her hand.

Christopher had to admit; the sight of Adelaide standing up from the sidelines shocked him enough to consider her offer. But naturally, his only reply was to laugh.

"I didn't save you from the ocean just to kill you," he taunted with a smirk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back