• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Boku no Hero: Peace Sign Academia OOC

7bbcb86b2407d03762b7dbbce569eec6.jpg

It's understandable for some guns to be feared for their usefulness in combat, but it'd be weird to not see them in the RP besides in the hands of villains and the like. They're a staple of law enforcement and riot control. A hero being unable to even have rubber bullets seems a bit odd in a world with quirks that can make hitting someone with anything else near impossible.

Take bolt-action rifles for example. In WWI, it was very common to see soldiers outright not use their rifles in CQB, because it was too big, and too slow to fire to reliably take out an opponent. And since bullets often don't down a charging target immediately, especially the rubber kind, the risk of getting stuck in melee is still there. Rubber bullets do hurt like hell though, and have significant kinetic energy to have a chance of breaking weaker bones in some cases. Generally, I don't think firearms are OP. It all depends on the purpose and usage of them.

A person with a holstered handgun has to draw and then aim, then finally fire at a target. This is assuming they're loaded, and the gun isn't on safe. At quite a few distances, a charging knife wielder can close larger gaps than you think, especially once the whole adrenaline thing kicks in. For a gun wielder, panicking can slow the draw even further. (Not saying they'll always do so.) This is also assuming they're using a handgun. With a bolt-action rifle, they'd have to bring it around to them from their sling, shoulder it and aim, fire, then get another round loaded via the bolt. All the knife wielder has to do is make themselves a tough target and advance.
I understand your concerns, but I do have a few counterpoints.

1. I may have phrased myself poorly earlier, but when I said "destructiveness of the weapon", I meant it's destructive power, which it being a weapon means anything that just outright makes it a better weapon in anything other than durability or pure defense, neither of which are really a thing with gun-type weapons.

2. CQC is a situation in which guns could loose to non-ranged combatants... if it happened at all. If you break what I said about ranged attacks in my answer, which I will get to in a second, then your character would just have to be outright incompetent with a gun for the other person to even have a chance.
Now you do have a point that panic is a big factor and if you use a terrible gun it might take too long in close quarters. But as I already told you, what is or not allowed is based not on what will happen but what on what could or is likely. And the thing about guns is that whole panic and bad weapon scenario is an unlikely niche that as I said would take the person being downright incompetent to happen. And if you are that bad with a gun, and you're in a training course about learning to use your quirk, why would you be using a gun? More on this in the next point.

3. Pro heroes ARE allowed to have guns. But you aren't a pro hero. A normal student in Japan would be lucky to be allowed to carry a kitchen knife around. And this WITHOUT the extra layer of law enforcement coming from the advent of quirks.
In addition, there is a grand total of ONE pro hero using guns in the series. This is not because guns are a bad weapon, as law enforcement does still use it, but because heroes are half about image. In other words, using a gun is a bad decision for any pro hero whose quirk is not directly tied to them in some way. For example, a hero that does use them is the U.A teacher with the homing quirk, whose quirk is literally being able to change the tragetory of bullets. AKA his quirk would potentially be useless without a gun. We see no other hero use one. Even eraser head, who is practically fighting normal fights (no quirks cause they're erased) doesn't so much as carry a gun, despite being an extremely pragmatical man and caring so little about flashiness that people praticallly don't know about him. So, following this logic, it wouldn't make sense allowing guns to people not directly tied to them, and them being such an issue to begin with, why allow them at all?

Now that that's settled, let's get to the more concrete point about non-lethal projectiles and here I will just try to summarize my point: a projectile/any ranged attack is not automatically rejected if when used to it's maximum effectiveness against a regular opponent also doing their best, the latter is still able to retaliate in some way or has an accessible chance of doing so. Any binding ranged attack must have an out, can't take down opponents in one hit, can't be so oppressive that just attacking first can make them too overwhelming to approach, can't bid opponents into being shot several times by a binding shot, and so on. The problem with ranged attacks , while they are not outright banned , is that their biggest strength is something I can't allow: attacking the opponent in a way that doesn't allow any retaliation.

I understand your concerns, but I do have a few counterpoints.

1. I may have phrased myself poorly earlier, but when I said "destructiveness of the weapon", I meant it's destructive power, which it being a weapon means anything that just outright makes it a better weapon in anything other than durability or pure defense, neither of which are really a thing with gun-type weapons.

2. CQC is a situation in which guns could loose to non-ranged combatants... if it happened at all. If you break what I said about ranged attacks in my answer, which I will get to in a second, then your character would just have to be outright incompetent with a gun for the other person to even have a chance.
Now you do have a point that panic is a big factor and if you use a terrible gun it might take too long in close quarters. But as I already told you, what is or not allowed is based not on what will happen but what on what could or is likely. And the thing about guns is that whole panic and bad weapon scenario is an unlikely niche that as I said would take the person being downright incompetent to happen. And if you are that bad with a gun, and you're in a training course about learning to use your quirk, why would you be using a gun? More on this in the next point.

3. Pro heroes ARE allowed to have guns. But you aren't a pro hero. A normal student in Japan would be lucky to be allowed to carry a kitchen knife around. And this WITHOUT the extra layer of law enforcement coming from the advent of quirks.
In addition, there is a grand total of ONE pro hero using guns in the series. This is not because guns are a bad weapon, as law enforcement does still use it, but because heroes are half about image. In other words, using a gun is a bad decision for any pro hero whose quirk is not directly tied to them in some way. For example, a hero that does use them is the U.A teacher with the homing quirk, whose quirk is literally being able to change the tragetory of bullets. AKA his quirk would potentially be useless without a gun. We see no other hero use one. Even eraser head, who is practically fighting normal fights (no quirks cause they're erased) doesn't so much as carry a gun, despite being an extremely pragmatical man and caring so little about flashiness that people praticallly don't know about him. So, following this logic, it wouldn't make sense allowing guns to people not directly tied to them, and them being such an issue to begin with, why allow them at all?

Now that that's settled, let's get to the more concrete point about non-lethal projectiles and here I will just try to summarize my point: a projectile/any ranged attack is not automatically rejected if when used to it's maximum effectiveness against a regular opponent also doing their best, the latter is still able to retaliate in some way or has an accessible chance of doing so. Any binding ranged attack must have an out, can't take down opponents in one hit, can't be so oppressive that just attacking first can make them too overwhelming to approach, can't bid opponents into being shot several times by a binding shot, and so on. The problem with ranged attacks , while they are not outright banned , is that their biggest strength is something I can't allow: attacking the opponent in a way that doesn't allow any retaliation.
Are there no ranged quirks accepted so far besides the bone launcher then? And so basically you're saying that all fights are going to be CQC only because a person can't use their fists to hit someone outside of arms reach? Just asking.

I also want to point out that I never said you have to be good at digging in every scenario. Some quirks are simply not suited for combat in some scenarios. And you might ask: but where's the fairness you talked about?
You might have read or in some cases remember that I insist on people having limits that give even normal people an accessible path to victory. This is why. Because you CAN'T be good in every scenario, but you still deserve at least a chance, even if you're likely to loose in the end of the day.

Are there no ranged quirks accepted so far besides the bone launcher then? And so basically you're saying that all fights are going to be CQC only because a person can't use their fists to hit someone outside of arms reach? Just asking.
I would have to check the full list right now to tell you which ranged quirks there are. There certainly are more quirks with ranged options than the one thingy, simply they all have to follow the rules I mentioned earlier.

Also, no, not all fights are gonna be CQC, quite on the contrary in fact. The powe of the quirk itself will be limited to prevent them from being too oppressive in such fights. Ranged moves will translate more to a first move advantage thing than the traditional headshot.

I also want to point out that I never said you have to be good at digging in every scenario. Some quirks are simply not suited for combat in some scenarios. And you might ask: but where's the fairness you talked about?
You might have read or in some cases remember that I insist on people having limits that give even normal people an accessible path to victory. This is why. Because you CAN'T be good in every scenario, but you still deserve at least a chance, even if you're likely to loose in the end of the day.

I would have to check the full list right now to tell you which ranged quirks there are. There certainly are more quirks with ranged options than the one thingy, simply they all have to follow the rules I mentioned earlier.

Also, no, not all fights are gonna be CQC, quite on the contrary in fact. The powe of the quirk itself will be limited to prevent them from being too oppressive in such fights. Ranged moves will translate more to a first move advantage thing than the traditional headshot.

So basically, I have no idea what to really build for... It's not ranged, it's not CQC...

tumblr_optc3tbJYR1qkafyno1_400.png

Deku: ….And this is my room!
…Yeah, I have a ton of All might Figures, if you want to play with them I don’t mind.
tumblr_inline_optbwqB1ZT1qe8o62_540.png

E: Who is all might?
D: You know, the number one her–(remember all might is not longer a hero)
E: He is not the number one hero.
D: Eh? Why not?
E: Because you are
tumblr_inline_optc0qYael1qe8o62_540.png

tumblr_opghynhFEB1qkafyno1_500.png

Eri: You sure you want to gift me this rare card of Deku?!
Kouta: Yes you can have it, I have that one twice
Eri: OMG thank you!!!

tumblr_optc3tbJYR1qkafyno1_400.png

Deku: ….And this is my room!
…Yeah, I have a ton of All might Figures, if you want to play with them I don’t mind.
tumblr_inline_optbwqB1ZT1qe8o62_540.png

E: Who is all might?
D: You know, the number one her–(remember all might is not longer a hero)
E: He is not the number one hero.
D: Eh? Why not?
E: Because you are
tumblr_inline_optc0qYael1qe8o62_540.png
OMG too cute, I want that so bad!

So basically, I have no idea what to really build for... It's not ranged, it's not CQC...
Combat will mostly be fought in a wide room, in a fighting ring and especially in large arenas with different types of environment within the maze.

But the idea of "building for" is wrong. You shouldn't be thinking like that. Because your character wouldn't know what the school curriculum is like and everything not controlled by your character is IC pretty much left just chance. It would be odd to be specifically perfect for this combat, in fact it'd be nonsensical.

So here's a question... how does Aizawa use his scarf-gauze-thingy?

Also, Idea Idea made another post on the character thread, just wanna make sure you see it. Hopefully it's the last one I have to do.

Also, Idea Idea made another post on the character thread, just wanna make sure you see it. Hopefully it's the last one I have to do.
A cloth that is made from a steel wire alloy woven with carbon nano fibers. He uses his cloth in order to capture and immobilize targets so that he doesn't have to use his Quirk all the time. It is often used in conjunction with his Quirk and it also comes in handy against enemies who are immune to his Quirk.

Combat will mostly be fought in a wide room, in a fighting ring and especially in large arenas with different types of environment within the maze.

But the idea of "building for" is wrong. You shouldn't be thinking like that. Because your character wouldn't know what the school curriculum is like and everything not controlled by your character is IC pretty much left just chance. It would be odd to be specifically perfect for this combat, in fact it'd be nonsensical.
Well, most others have combat useful quirks, so I can't be missing out on that...I just feel like doing a CQB quirk will be a death sentence without some serious benefits to such a limited range.

Well, most others have combat useful quirks, so I can't be missing out on that...I just feel like doing a CQB quirk will be a death sentence without some serious benefits to such a limited range.
Why? Yeah, you should have some benefits, but you don't need such big benefits. Also, I say this and I'll say it again, there's no need to make your character a war machine

The special alloy Shammy mentioned was designed by a friend of Aizawa's as a programmable sort of metal, in a sense. The exact principle behind it is unclear , but it follows rules similar to those of memeory-shape alloys

This idea actually kind of inspired a bit of how my first character's quirk works

And Leovonis Leovonis I definitely can't go around checking scattered characters at this point. Please jam your scattered stuff into a character sheet so I can actually go check it out without having to solve a puzzle for it

No, but they are going to be taking it seriously.
Sure, but as already stated, the rules of the fights will change depending on the class and situation. And the PSA is a brand new academy, so there isn't even anything for your character to go on, they can't prepare for it except by improving their own stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back