• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Beyond the Third Sky

oh and sorry for the lack luster post, i was finding it hard to think of something to write

MsPolite said:
sorry for the lack luster response
Eh it wasn't lackluster. You just forgot about my avatar's interaction with Belluam. He passed right beside her in a flash of light. As he appeared in the battle.

@NeverBetter... i'm having an existential crisis. i have no idea how to write a fight scene. at all. i've written two in my whole life. i lost both of them. can i just... have fia attack indiscriminately and roll for damage...? :')

A Sword of Stone: Grounds- The Combat Guide by IItNeverGetsBetterThanThis (Riki) - Roleplaying - KH13.com Forum[/URL]

I haven't read it in a while so I don't remember if it's good as a tutorial but there was some helpful advice for me.
ah, shucks. i guess i gotta do it the hard way, then. thank you for the information and the guide, though! i really needed it, and im sure it'll prove useful in the future, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @Yuffie Kisaragi that the skyscraper robot suits just seem ABSURDLY big. I mean, do you know how large skyscrapers are? There's no way it could be even close to a fair fight. Maybe apartment complex-sized robots would be defeatable, but come on....that's just ridiculous

I'm just gonna assume most of the robots being challenged right now are the smaller suit ones.

Scrapmaster said:
FUCK YES, GOD XICOR! ANALYZE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM xD
Next up is a hacking attempt...yeah, I honestly don't think they'd expect any hacking attempts from Orens, or from any other faction for that matter, SO its possible that security in their network isn't a big investment, as no one else has the technology right? (or anything remarkably close to it.)

And that will also let Xicor gain more intel about them :D
Ooh hacking...!!

now I see how it is indeed possible for the suits to be defeated

Pashpu said:
Ooh hacking...!!
now I see how it is indeed possible for the suits to be defeated
They don't have Anti-viruses, Xicor's gonna hack the shit out of them and whatever's left will be used for salvage (Reverse engineering technology :D thank fuck Xicor's knowledge is math)

Pashpu said:
WAIT JENNA CAN SPLIT FROM THE RHINO NOW AND SUMMON ANIMALS WTF!!!
:D
Critical successes are a beautiful thing.

And since I introduced Hanz, The avatar of Truth.

I think I should shed some light on the lore of The Avatars (The name of the RP Hanz comes from on another forum...no NB and yuffie it ain't KH13 either.)

A small glimpse, im not spilling the entire Lore :P it will be explained in Hanz's story arc.

*log Start*

Oh but what are "Avatars" other than mirrors? used to reflect upon greatness, of beings long past? Tragedy strikes everywhere, even in a world of gods and demons. Many are corrupt, others purified, others...simply forgotten, but what do you do when an entire era vanishes from existence and no knowledge remains, quickly forgotten by the new generations?

Knowledge,greatness, power. Must never be forgotten, even though how much tragedy they are bound bring...tis a risk that must be taken...

*Log End*

A Sword of Stone: Grounds- The Combat Guide by IItNeverGetsBetterThanThis (Riki) - Page 2 - Roleplaying - KH13.com Forum[/URL]
Eh, im good just winging it... xD

Scrapmaster said:
And since I introduced Hanz, The avatar of Truth.
I think I should shed some light on the lore of The Avatars (The name of the RP Hanz comes from on another forum...no NB and yuffie it ain't KH13 either.)

A small glimpse, im not spilling the entire Lore :P it will be explained in Hanz's story arc.

*log Start*

Oh but what are "Avatars" other than mirrors? used to reflect upon greatness, of beings long past? Tragedy strikes everywhere, even in a world of gods and demons. Many are corrupt, others purified, others...simply forgotten, but what do you do when an entire era vanishes from existence and no knowledge remains, quickly forgotten by the new generations?

Knowledge,greatness, power. Must never be forgotten, even though how much tragedy they are bound bring...tis a risk that must be taken...

*Log End*

Gotta agree, no one died this time xD

Eh, im good just winging it... xD
TRUE NO DEATH IS VERY VERY GOOD

And nah, read it. It's not some of NB's bs advice, it's good stuff from someone that knows what he's doing.

I was gonna have Tolan make a trap to trip over the armors heading towards where Jah-Rii is, to try and help out someone that respected him. Cuz he's a bro, believe it or not.

But the things are too big TO trip with a mere Rope'n hook. Possibly Xicor can craft a better, more resistant grapple hook later on, still.

Don't worry Jah-Rii, Tolan's coming to help ;)

rusticyawn said:
@NeverBetter... i'm having an existential crisis. i have no idea how to write a fight scene. at all. i've written two in my whole life. i lost both of them. can i just... have fia attack indiscriminately and roll for damage...? :')
NO, IS NOT POSSIBLE! NEGATORY! NIEN! *muffled*NO! *In Boston accent*Uh, no!
...Sorry, playing my TF2 soundbites can be far too entertaining when appropriate. Anyhow, nope. *neck elongates* The only way you're gonna get better at it is experience and help.

A Sword of Stone: Grounds- The Combat Guide by IItNeverGetsBetterThanThis (Riki) - Roleplaying - KH13.com Forum[/URL]

I haven't read it in a while so I don't remember if it's good as a tutorial but there was some helpful advice for me.
That one is tecnically incomplete and kinda sucks .-. But it's as close as I can get. If anyone wants more info on the more open stylistic and writing-skill based combat I like, I'm happy to try and teach. But mind that not everyone is OK with this style, and it depends on how your opponent/the game runs. Mine follows the more open, skill-based because I prefer that, but some games/people prefer a very structured and planned out scene. Keep that in mind.

Pashpu said:
I agree with @Yuffie Kisaragi that the skyscraper robot suits just seem ABSURDLY big. I mean, do you know how large skyscrapers are? There's no way it could be even close to a fair fight. Maybe apartment complex-sized robots would be defeatable, but come on....that's just ridiculous
I'm just gonna assume most of the robots being challenged right now are the smaller suit ones.
Just off of my experience with mechs and combat, it's far from impossible. They're built, for the most part, very slender and tall: tripping them wouldn't be too hard. They have no signs of them being able to fly or evade at all, really, so interrupting it's walk cycle is a good step in the right direction. At that, thinner metals take less to damage, no matter their durability. They're made of metal and electical components, applying multiple element-based attacks would do great damage. Enough force can break through their armor, so on.

If I can, I avoid forcing players into fights they can't win, as I hate the forced loss battle scenario.

Pashpu said:
WAIT JENNA CAN SPLIT FROM THE RHINO NOW AND SUMMON ANIMALS WTF!!!
:D
The crits baby the crits.

[QUOTE="Yuffie Kisaragi]TRUE NO DEATH IS VERY VERY GOOD
And nah, read it. It's not some of NB's bs advice, it's good stuff from someone that knows what he's doing.

[/QUOTE]
For saying that, ten thousand press-ups, NOW.

Scrapmaster said:
I was gonna have Tolan make a trap to trip over the armors heading towards where Jah-Rii is, to try and help out someone that respected him. Cuz he's a bro, believe it or not.
But the things are too big TO trip with a mere Rope'n hook. Possibly Xicor can craft a better, more resistant grapple hook later on, still.

Don't worry Jah-Rii, Tolan's coming to help ;)
Incorrect, hooking the leg and tying it to a certain heavyweight pulling-capable creature of some sort would prove a very useful meathod of dispatching them, as I will confirm now they have no thrust-capable parts on the Frames. Tecnically, the full name is Ghost Frame, and they are basically the sedan of the Republic, just gussied up with weapons.

NeverBetter said:
Incorrect, hooking the leg and tying it to a certain heavyweight pulling-capable creature of some sort would prove a very useful meathod of dispatching them, as I will confirm now they have no thrust-capable parts on the Frames. Tecnically, the full name is Ghost Frame, and they are basically the sedan of the Republic, just gussied up with weapons.
*Tolan intensifies*

Tomorrow...

NeverBetter said:
NO, IS NOT POSSIBLE! NEGATORY! NIEN! *muffled*NO! *In Boston accent*Uh, no!
...Sorry, playing my TF2 soundbites can be far too entertaining when appropriate. Anyhow, nope. *neck elongates* The only way you're gonna get better at it is experience and help.
oh god no neck elongate NB PLZ

i just finished it up and it's... boring and incomprehensible? help i did have to make the attempt by starting somewhere, though. i had... a lot of ideas, but i ended up just leaving at it at that since none of them seemed very... viable. anyone, feel free to lemme know if there's something i can do to alter it for the better - i'd really appreciate it. i might just go back and alter it based on the new information ya laid out here. :0

Its alright Rusti.

Im thinking of how much fun it'l be when I make Tolan's post. I love having him criticize the shit out of people.

And Xenith flying off? Im gonna have a PARTY writting that.

@VioletShadow , permission to use one of your vampire NPCs? I doubt Tolan's welcome, and from previous stares, I think they would try to attack him or something, would just have Tolan counter and humiliate them to see an example :P

Or should I take one unamed Vampire?

rusticyawn said:
oh god no neck elongate NB PLZ
i just finished it up and it's... boring and incomprehensible? help i did have to make the attempt by starting somewhere, though. i had... a lot of ideas, but i ended up just leaving at it at that since none of them seemed very... viable. anyone, feel free to lemme know if there's something i can do to alter it for the better - i'd really appreciate it. i might just go back and alter it based on the new information ya laid out here. :0
Alright, so, after reading it, first things first: You have to keep an open mind with your combat. The advantage of being untrained is that you're unpredictable, and you have the freedom to use moves that normally wouldn't catch an opponent as they merely weren't expecting it. Trained soldiers are naturally stronger, but more predicitable. At that, Fia has the option to create her own unique style of combat. Is she a more up-close-and-personal fighter? Or more stealthy? Kick it back from a range and stay in cover? How does Fia want to fight? Whilst the characters we make are fictional, if we breathe life into them for a moment, they can tell us what they want, in a sense.

To me, with her current skills, I see her as a highly mobile character that uses agility and speed to dodge attack and deal damage as she moves. Not the most powerful offensively, but no one likes to be lightly toasted from behind. She uses the Minisun to form pincing attacks and to flank: as Fia completely controlls it, she can resize and heat or cool it as she so pleases (my use of turning up the heat was sort of an attempt to signify usage of the Minisun would at least be a good idea for the fight, but I try not to butt in directly) but that is how I would play. Maybe Fia is more of the up-front DPS style character, throwing fireballs and keeping the enemy distracted, or maybe your average fire mage style, for examples. Reading up on somewhat-related combatants to the style you wish to use is a good way of learning what they can do.

And don't forget to be creative with it. You have the freedom of perfect fire control and pyrokinisis, and a miniature ball of fire you can move with your desires. Do as you please, as freedom is the most important part of combat.

NeverBetter said:
Alright, so, after reading it, first things first: You have to keep an open mind with your combat. The advantage of being untrained is that you're unpredictable, and you have the freedom to use moves that normally wouldn't catch an opponent as they merely weren't expecting it. Trained soldiers are naturally stronger, but more predicitable. At that, Fia has the option to create her own unique style of combat. Is she a more up-close-and-personal fighter? Or more stealthy? Kick it back from a range and stay in cover? How does Fia want to fight? Whilst the characters we make are fictional, if we breathe life into them for a moment, they can tell us what they want, in a sense.
To me, with her current skills, I see her as a highly mobile character that uses agility and speed to dodge attack and deal damage as she moves. Not the most powerful offensively, but no one likes to be lightly toasted from behind. She uses the Minisun to form pincing attacks and to flank: as Fia completely controlls it, she can resize and heat or cool it as she so pleases (my use of turning up the heat was sort of an attempt to signify usage of the Minisun would at least be a good idea for the fight, but I try not to butt in directly) but that is how I would play. Maybe Fia is more of the up-front DPS style character, throwing fireballs and keeping the enemy distracted, or maybe your average fire mage style, for examples. Reading up on somewhat-related combatants to the style you wish to use is a good way of learning what they can do.

And don't forget to be creative with it. You have the freedom of perfect fire control and pyrokinisis, and a miniature ball of fire you can move with your desires. Do as you please, as freedom is the most important part of combat.
if im honest, i had every intention of having fia doing something more... stylized? but i didn't want to do anything big out of anxiety you'd look at it and go, "uh.... rustic, what the fuck is this" and do a life saving roll or something because i had no idea what was going on and did something really stupid, haha. i even thought about the minisun, since you referenced it directly and sort of hinted at it being possible to do something more with it, but i kinda chickened out and did something to just sort of test the waters instead. thank you for the help and advice. i really needed the perspective, and i will try to be a little more outgoing with it in the future. :3c

rusticyawn said:
if im honest, i had every intention of having fia doing something more... stylized? but i didn't want to do anything big out of anxiety you'd look at it and go, "uh.... rustic, what the fuck is this" and do a life saving roll or something because i had no idea what was going on and did something really stupid, haha. i even thought about the minisun, since you referenced it directly and sort of hinted at it being possible to do something more with it, but i kinda chickened out and did something to just sort of test the waters instead.
Then your golden ball of fiery fire turns about to be like... a controllable atomic bomb or something xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back