• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Lancelot said:
I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he means to show that a character is a skilled general you would need the knowledge to actually write him as a skilled general.
Hence why all my characters are idiots. a demographic I feel fairly comfortable playing.

Hypnos said:
Hence why all my characters are idiots. a demographic I feel fairly comfortable playing.
I wouldn't really call them idiots, more of a diplomat type. And that still needs knowledge of how to talk with people, how to make deals, allies and put your team in a better position.

But as for the needing knowledge for a character to have knowledge isn't exactly true. For example I know very little of ships, but on the contrary Siegfried would know the in and outs of a ship. This is both good and bad imo because it takes ages for me to write but it also forces me to research. Similarly with a general type character I would try and research different strategies and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Akio said:
By that logic Roland is the most skilled general of all time and we should give him all our troops right?
Thats not what I was saying at all, @Lancelot got it right though so I don't need to explain.

WanderingJester said:
It'll help. I mean yeah, you won't be able to pull up the same applications to real life examples as if you've been studying the subject for years, but I mean, a British Sergeant pretty much summed up Sun Tzu's Art of War in a single sentence lol:
"The key to war lads, is to hit the other guy as hard as you can, as quick as you can, where he doesn't expect you to, where it would hurt the most, cause the most damage and where he can't hit you back before you get your guards back up."
The sentence is also so insanely vague that you get almost nothing from it except common sense. Its thought and proper application that create a great strategy, without one the other is worthless, that sentence doesn't help with either of those things. Honestly the summary is good because it does sum up the art of war, but it also doesn't give you anything in depth and pretty much makes the sentence useless unless you just REALLY didn't understand warfare. This is why the art of war was a book, not a single quote.

Leusis said:
Thats not what I was saying at all, @Lancelot got it right though so I don't need to explain.
The sentence is also so insanely vague that you get almost nothing from it except common sense. Its thought and proper application that create a great strategy, without one the other is worthless, that sentence doesn't help with either of those things. Honestly the summary is good because it does sum up the art of war, but it also doesn't give you anything in depth and pretty much makes the sentence useless unless you just REALLY didn't understand warfare. This is why the art of war was a book, not a single quote.
Oh yeah, that's what I meant by practical applications or something. For that, research must be made considering the particular setting and technology available for war and such. There would be a need for that. But as I said, you can get that from google and such. You might not get as much of a practical application as someone who's been studying the stuff for a while, but it's a good jump point and even the most advance strategies are built off of fundamental pillars of warfare *shrug*

Lancelot said:
I wouldn't really call them idiots, more of a diplomat type. And that still needs knowledge of how to talk with people, how to make deals, allies and put your team in a better position.
But as for the needing knowledge for a character to have knowledge isn't exactly true. For example I know very little of ships, but on the contrary Siegfried would know the in and outs of a ship. This is both good and bad imo because it takes ages for me to write but it also forces me to research. Similarly with a general type character I would try and research different strategies and stuff.
Diplomatic types aren't really my thing, I find it really hard to write them because I'm not the most cunning person. Mildly intelligent, sure, but cunning or shrewd, no. Thats why I'm more at home with military leader or soldier types, because I know strategy and warfare and I know combat.

Also, I'm not saying you NEED to know this stuff, I'm just saying it makes writing certain things a hell of a lot easier because you don't have to spend hours trying to figure out what a double envelopment is.

9rX6Snq.jpg

Leusis said:
A writer needs to know about war to have a character know about war..... So really his ability to doing anything on a battlefield entirely hinges on your knowledge of warfare.
*starts reading sun tzu's art of war* . Soon i shall beat everyone in Rome 2 Total War !!! muhahahahah

TheGreyEminence said:
*starts reading sun tzu's art of war*
Prepare for lines with several different meanings and stuff that contradicts itself, thus why people still debate about stuff in it.

Leusis said:
Prepare for lines with several different meanings and stuff that contradicts itself, thus why people still debate about stuff in it.
I picked up the book in my school library to pass some time today and honestly there wasn't really anything in it that convinced me that this dude sun tzu was a brilliant strategist , i mean like come on everyone knows that "all you've got to do in order to win a war is spam horse archers !!!"

- Quoted from Genghis Khan's personal journal (yes he did keep a journal with feelings and stuff ).

TheGreyEminence said:
I picked up the book in my school library to pass some time today and honestly there wasn't really anything in it that convinced me that this dude sun tzu was a brilliant strategist , i mean like come on everyone knows that all you've got to do in order to win a war is spam horse archers !!!
Horse archers have shorter effective ranges than archers on foot (depending on type and quality of bows). So get some spears, get some decent archers and out range the fuckers until they're all dead. They're on horses so they're bigger targets and don't have shields. The key to beating horse archers is to not chase them, its not like they can siege shit anyway so its not like they're going to take your castle.

Leusis said:
Horse archers have shorter effective ranges than archers on foot (depending on type and quality of bows). So get some spears, get some decent archers and out range the fuckers until they're all dead. They're on horses so they're bigger targets and don't have shields. The key to beating horse archers is to not chase them, its not like they can siege shit anyway so its not like they're going to take your castle.
Tell that to the Muscovite's or the muscovy-ites i don't really know ...

TheGreyEminence said:
Tell that to the Muscovite's or the muscovy-ites i don't really know ...
Pshh, they fought shit general after shit general. If the people they fought would have been somewhat competent they wouldn't have been nearly as successful. Not saying they weren't effective and powerful, just saying that if the people they fought had better strategies they wouldn't have been defeated as easily or at all.

Leusis said:
Pshh, they fought shit general after shit general. If the people they fought would have been somewhat competent they wouldn't have been nearly as successful. Not saying they weren't effective and powerful, just saying that if the people they fought had better strategies they wouldn't have been defeated as easily or at all.
I do get it in hindsight there were many ways in which the mongols could've been beaten but i think the reason they were so effective was not just their military prowess but their ability to play mind games with the enemy , like just imagine yourself as a Russian infantryman in a line formation and you see this sea , ocean of horses coming your way , i don't know about you but if i was that dude i'd probably be shitting my pants .

Although now that i think about it , cayden might just enjoy being in the mist of a sea of horses

#savethewesterosihorses #deportcayden

Wow, I just realized that G-ma and G-pa Lannisters (Gerold and Rohanne) were likely the Bruvira of their generation, perhaps without the hate part. 7 kids, sheesh. (' :| )

WanderingJester said:
Wow, I just realized that G-ma and G-pa Lannisters (Gerold and Rohanne) were likely the Bruvira of their generation, perhaps without the hate part. 7 kids, sheesh. (' :| )
Lord Gerold just knew the importance of sowing his seed.

Hypnos said:
Lord Gerold just knew the importance of sowing his seed.
Well, given the amount of cadet branches of House Lannister, I would say he did correctly :| The seed is strong indeed.

Also, if the legends were to be believed, he got that from Lann himself xD

I don't know much about warfare and combat, aside from the fact that I'm a history fanatic and adore the subjects so I've just pickd up some bits and pieces. Honestly, it wouldn't be a chore for me to "research" in order to properly apply knowledge to roleplay in order to stay true to character.

I'd enjoy every second of it, the only reason I haven't done so yet is because playing Total War: Warhammer and Mount and Blade: Warband, is a considerably more fun pass-time

Archon said:
I don't know much about warfare and combat, aside from the fact that I'm a history fanatic and adore the subjects so I've just pickd up some bits and pieces. Honestly, it wouldn't be a chore for me to "research" in order to properly apply knowledge to roleplay in order to stay true to character.
I'd enjoy every second of it, the only reason I haven't done so yet is because playing Total War: Warhammer and Mount and Blade: Warband, is a considerably more fun pass-time
I have both of those as well sir.

Okay, so how many of us have both of those games? And if its a lot, why have we not played together yet?

Leusis said:
Okay, so how many of us have both of those games? And if its a lot, why have we not played together yet?
Waiting on the day when I log on to steam and Total War Warhammer's 20 bucks, and it's less about me wanting the lowest price possible and more of the fact that they cut the Chaos faction and will be selling it back to me as a DLC. Never tried Mount and Blade tbh, though I've heard very good things about it. Got quite the backlog of games waiting for me at the moment to justify just buying it if it's not like 5 bucks or something *shrug*

I don't have those games..

But I've been in a marathon match of Civ for the past two days...

Fucking French and Greeks are the biggest threats I have right now.

Leusis said:
This is a brilliant question, I too, would like to know.

TheAncientCenturion said:

If you lose to the French we will never let you live this down. Just be aware of that now.

TheAncientCenturion said:

Think it may just be my impatience but Civ games always seem really boring to me. I much prefer total war and Paradox games over them. Not saying they are bad of course, I really enjoy Civ 5 but it always feels not much is going on.

WanderingJester said:
If you lose to the French we will never let you live this down. Just be aware of that now.
I am not losing to the French! But I have the vassalage mod activated, and Napoleon has the Celts and Zulu's as his creatures. . .

Look. It's hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back