• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Kind of interested to see how everybody views the strength of The Golden Company honestly. Cause they might only have 10,000 men but those men have also been fighting likely constantly since they joined, I'd say they could take an army quite a bit larger than them. Plus, they have elephants.

TheAncientCenturion said:
Yeah, the Ibbeneese better not cross the Narrow Sea. . .Without the Golden Company.
Don't worry, at the rate these negotiations are going Ibben will have already gone to war alongside the Golden Company before Vance is done talking out terms.

Leusis said:
Kind of interested to see how everybody views the strength of The Golden Company honestly. Cause they might only have 10,000 men but those men have also been fighting likely constantly since they joined, I'd say they could take an army quite a bit larger than them. Plus, they have elephants.
You should not underestimate the golden company, their all Veterans. People fighting in the disputed lands all the time should not be underestimated

It would not be extreme to say they could be a 20000 man army from the reach depending on thier commander. Since they have the most soldiers but the least trained. But 20000 from dorne which is their entire army us very different from 20000 from the reach. Depends on quality of soldier and quality of commanders

Last edited by a moderator:
Akio said:
It would not be extreme to say they could be a 20000 man army from the reach. Since they have the most soldiers but the least trained
That'll really depend on what part of Reach you're talking about honestly. Knight from the Shield Islands won't be the same as the Knight from the Arbor or the Knight from Highgarden.

They did basically conquer the Dornish forestland, islands, parts of the Stepstones, after a storm separated them. They are fast, skilled, experienced, and brutal. At parity, and maybe this is my bias, but they would beat any Westerosi army in neutral conditions. Maybe even with a slight disadvantage.

Elendithas said:
Don't worry, at the rate these negotiations are going Ibben will have already gone to war alongside the Golden Company before Vance is done talking out terms.
I mean, what would you do if you heard this ominous shadow king sudden wants to fund you with thousands of soldiers? Shit man, he shoulda pulled a Barristen/Artisan.

20,000 is really not likely, unless they are being commanded by Mace Tyrell.
Not really, most of the drafties from the bigger nations are craftsman and and farmers, not soldiers. Each of the golden company able to take two such men us not impossible

Honestly just having elephants would do a lot for them in Westeros. Very few people have likely seen an elephant and I admitted earlier that if Roland Wilds (a veteran knight of many battles) saw an elephant in the enemies army he'd look like this if Tiber asked him to charge it.

n3RGs0O.gif

They did basically conquer the Dornish forestland, islands, parts of the Stepstones, after a storm separated them. They are fast, skilled, experienced, and brutal. At parity, and maybe this is my bias, but they would beat any Westerosi army in neutral conditions. Maybe even with a slight disadvantage.
I mean, what would you do if you heard this ominous shadow king sudden wants to fund you with thousands of soldiers? Shit man, he shoulda pulled a Barristen/Artisan.
Honestly, as far as Deanna knows, she's already been given to him by Kuvira. He would be within his rights to just grab her up and bring her to Ibben forcefully.

@Akio

If the Reach fought them with 20,000 The Golden Company would lose because its a lot harder to dodge or block 2 weapons at the same time than it is one. Not to mention the Reach has a copious amount of mounted knights.

Elendithas said:
Honestly, as far as Deanna knows, she's already been given to him by Kuvira. He would be within his rights to just grab her up and bring her to Ibben forcefully.
heh, not a particularly advisable course of action, but you know, if you have the Ib guys go that route...

giphy.gif

Akio said:
Not really, most of the drafties from the bigger nations are craftsman and and farmers, not soldiers. Each of the golden company able to take two such men us not impossible
That's the core of all Westerosi feudal armies, though. You have some knights scattered around, but a majority of everyone in them are levies and serfs that owe their strength to their liege lord, who in turn owes it to theirs, and so on and so forth. The problem is that you still train a majority of them, and if you have 20,000 soldiers, the enemy has to kill two people per man, or kill enough to force them to route BEFORE they lose too many in the battle. Incredibly difficult. Unless it's a very inexperienced commander, or the other person is a strategic jesus, you'd be in a pickle.

Especially if it's open fielded combat, where you can out flank your opponent easier, though I suppose a Westerosi army might not go for such ways as often, wanting to keep reserves and a tight core.

Leusis said:
Honestly just having elephants would do a lot for them in Westeros. Very few people have likely seen an elephant and I admitted earlier that if Roland Wilds (a veteran knight of many battles) saw an elephant in the enemies army he'd look like this if Tiber asked him to charge it.
n3RGs0O.gif
Yeaah, elephants to a culture that doesn't fight them is a big culture shock. It never goes well in the first battle, but they had only 40 or 80 of them, right? Not a super big problem.

Elendithas said:
Uh, that probably is a bad idea.

Elendithas said:
Except i dont think he has any confirmation yet, just that the offer been made

Leusis said:
n3RGs0O.gif
Cayden would try to wheel around and hit them with archers. No way would he let his melee line anywhere near them. But hes also fought them before.

Leusis said:
@Akio
If the Reach fought them with 20,000 The Golden Company would lose because its a lot harder to dodge or block 2 weapons at the same time than it is one. Not to mention the Reach has a copious amount of mounted knights.
Thats true. They probably have the best Calvary or at least the most calvary

Never claimed it was a good idea, just that it would be possible to do with little, if any, backlash from Westeros. Sure, the handful of people following her would be angry, but if she was actually captured, there would be a good chance all of those people died trying to protect her.

I just realized with the 400 knights Roland has on Fair Isle right now he could train all 2,000 of his levies by having each knight train 5 men each. That training would be on such a personal level that it'd likely go suuuuuper fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the core of all Westerosi feudal armies, though. You have some knights scattered around, but a majority of everyone in them are levies and serfs that owe their strength to their liege lord, who in turn owes it to theirs, and so on and so forth. The problem is that you still train a majority of them, and if you have 20,000 soldiers, the enemy has to kill two people per man, or kill enough to force them to route BEFORE they lose too many in the battle. Incredibly difficult. Unless it's a very inexperienced commander, or the other person is a strategic jesus, you'd be in a pickle.
Especially if it's open fielded combat, where you can out flank your opponent easier, though I suppose a Westerosi army might not go for such ways as often, wanting to keep reserves and a tight core.

Yeaah, elephants to a culture that doesn't fight them is a big culture shock. It never goes well in the first battle, but they had only 40 or 80 of them, right? Not a super big problem.

Uh, that probably is a bad idea.
"Strategic Jesus"

For some reason reminded me of this:

passion_of_the_christ_2.jpg

Also, you know: Ser Goodman and House Twenty. Just saying.

Just wondering but will the nations of Essos eventually be added to that list of armies in the overview?

Leusis said:
I just realized with the 400 knights Roland has on Fair Isle right now he could train all 2,000 of his levies by having each knight train 5 men each. That training would be on such a personal level that it'd likely go suuuuuper fast.
So Fair Isle now will not produce ANYTHING but Warriors. Sparta tried this, they needed a huge slave population to help it work out. . You do have the Riverlands not a stones throw away. They make great salt wivesslaves.

So Fair Isle now will not produce ANYTHING but Warriors. Sparta tried this, they needed a huge slave population to help it work out. . You do have the Riverlands not a stones throw away. They make great salt wivesslaves.
Lovely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back