• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

TheAncientCenturion said:
He might be able to get a fair trial. . If anyone but Kuvira is sitting on the throne. If she isn't around, I feel like others might see a Baratheon prisoner who has known disputes with the main family, as a valuable thing.
Ah, yes... The problem is, if we lose the siege chances are Kuvira will still be the ruler.

Call it hunch, but I think a fair trial might be out of the option there... she could always ignore a demand for a trial by combat, but where's the fun in that? I don't think Rory would be able to beat Gale Corbray if she picked him as champion.

Archon said:
To be honest, if we lose the siege somehow. I want to have my arc with Rory somehow go all Jaime/Tyrion by becoming a Prisoner of War or something, and I might even give an epic speech and demand trial by combat.
Have fun with that, Kuvira will just make the best queensguard member she has be her champion. And that guy is supposed to be on par with Nagito.

Leusis said:
Have fun with that, Kuvira will just make the best queensguard member she has be her champion. And that guy is supposed to be on par with Nagito.
That's Gale Corbray.

Honestly, I'm really taking this "Nagito-Tier" with several large grains of salt. The best of the best need to be realistic, and I don't see why we have two people arguably above-or-on-par with Arthur Dayne/Daemon Blackfyre/Aemon the Dragonknight. In terms of overall combat prowess the limit should have been Garlan Tyrell, with maybe one Jaime Lannister.

Archon said:
That's Gale Corbray.
Honestly, I'm really taking this "Nagito-Tier" with several large grains of salt. The best of the best need to be realistic, and I don't see why we have two people arguably above-or-on-par with Arthur Dayne/Daemon Blackfyre/Aemon the Dragonknight. In terms of overall combat prowess the limit should have been Garlan Tyrell, with maybe one Jaime Lannister.
I have to disagree, in the world there is always someone better.

Lancelot said:
I have to disagree, in the world there is always someone better.
By that logic, we have no limit. That's when things start becoming overpowered, of course there is always someone better; but for a player character using someone better than "Jaime Lannister" seems a little unfair to me personally, but when you start going above that to Arthur, Daemon, Aemon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Archon said:
That's Gale Corbray.
That probably wouldn't be very realistic. I mean just look how many amazing fighter there were during Roberts Rebellion. Every member of the kingsguard at the time was definitely better than Garlan. Ned was really damn good, Robert was an absolute beast. The Blackfish was really good because he was younger, Oberyn was running around and much younger. In this RP we only have like 6 or 7 PCs that are as good or better than Garlan when during the rebellion there were probably a dozen or more.

Archon said:
By that logic, we have no limit. That's when things start becoming overpowered, of course there is always someone better; but for a player character using someone better than "Jaime Lannister" seems a little unfair to me personally, but when you start going above that to Arthur, Daemon, Aemon...
"Overpowered" is a term that gets thrown around a lot and frankly it is quite annoying. In ASOIAF there is always an abundance of amazing warriors in each generation, so realistically I see no problem with what we have in our RP.

Leusis said:
That probably wouldn't be very realistic. I mean just look how many amazing fighter there were during Roberts Rebellion. Every member of the kingsguard at the time was definitely better than Garlan. Ned was really damn good, Robert was an absolute beast. The Blackfish was really good because he was younger, Oberyn was running around and much younger. In this RP we only have like 6 or 7 PCs that are as good or better than Garlan when during the rebellion there were probably a dozen or more.
I think we just have a different opinin on ability, instead of Garlan is my example, for yours lets imagine Blackfish instead. I was thinking the majority should be a little below Jaime i.e Garlan (who I think is better than the Blackfish) and one or two Jaime tiers.

Lancelot said:
"Overpowered" is a term that gets thrown around a lot and frankly it is quite annoying. In ASOIAF there is always an abundance of amazing warriors in each generation, so realistically I see no problem with what we have in our RP.
It gets thrown around for good reason, nobody likes unfairness in rolepay - and that applies doubly - for combat. People seem to forget that people like Daemon Blackfyre, Aemon the Dragonknight, and even Arthur Dayne are likely victims of their own reputation - and none are probably that invincible. So when people go ahead and use that level of fighter, despite them never appearing in the books, it feels unfair. That's why I use Jaime as my highest marker, he's the best swordsmen we know of as of the start of the books alongside Barristan.

Archon said:
I think we just have a different opinin on ability, instead of Garlan is my example, for yours lets imagine Blackfish instead. I was thinking the majority should be a little below Jaime i.e Garlan (who I think is better than the Blackfish) and one or two Jaime tiers.
It gets thrown around for good reason, nobody likes unfairness in rolepay - and that applies doubly - for combat. People seem to forget that people like Daemon Blackfyre, Aemon the Dragonknight, and even Arthur Dayne are likely victims of their own reputation - and none are probably that invincible. So when people go ahead and use that level of fighter, despite them never appearing in the books, it feels unfair. That's why I use Jaime as my highest marker, he's the best swordsmen we know of as of the start of the books alongside Barristan.
Unfairness is needed, if everything is even then that would be boring IMO.

Personally I don't think any of my characters are on the level that we are speaking of, maybe Siegfried but he is sort of a monstrosity mix of Victarion, Robert, The Mountain and Andrik the Unsmiling.

I guess I understand where you are coming from though.

Archon said:
If you want 2 Jaime's and 1 person slightly worse that's fine. But we only have 1 person who's at that level and that's Nagito. Roland and Martyn would be slightly below Jaime with several others slightly below them, 1 of your characters being one.

We don't have many ridiculously good fighters, really we only have 1 and that's Nagito.

You forget no matter how good one warrior is they're is only so much they can affect an entire battlefield. You don't want to fight Auther Dane? Don't challenge him to single combat and just surround him. Besides of this Nagito teir there is only 2 and one isn't even a pc

Then there is also tactical strength, archery, political, as well as others. Personal fighting strength might be what actually causes the least amount of affect in Westeros, because you have to come up to a character for it to have an affect, even Nagito can only take 20 men alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nagito can't take 20 men if they fill him with arrows or bolts. Melee fighters will always be the most vulnerable to death.

Lancelot said:
Unfairness is needed, if everything is even then that would be boring IMO.
Personally I don't think any of my characters are on the level that we are speaking of, maybe Siegfried but he is sort of a monstrosity mix of Victarion, Robert, The Mountain and Andrik the Unsmiling.

I guess I understand where you are coming from though.
Okay, my bad. I poorly delivered my point, obviously certain unfairness is needed for the sake of realism because not everybody is the same. What I'm saying, is I think Jaime is the fine-line between playing an exceptionally skilled fighter, and playing a battle demigod - since by reputation - the very top tier were just that. I'm mainly speaking of skill as in, who'd win in a duel. I'm not saying I want everyone to be close in skill, it's just my own opinion that nobody should be excelling Jaime's ability in a duel.

Leusis said:
If you want 2 Jaime's and 1 person slightly worse that's fine. But we only have 1 person who's at that level and that's Nagito. Roland and Martyn would be slightly below Jaime with several others slightly below them, 1 of your characters being one.
We don't have many ridiculously good fighters, really we only have 1 and that's Nagito.
Actually, Jester himself has said Nagito - and his equal, Gale Corbray by extension - are apparently considerably better than two-handed Jaime. I believe they are supposed to be the equivalents of Aemon the Dragonknight. If I was to base my characters off of book ones, then I'd say Rory is slightly below Sandor, and mountain Umber loses to anyone with a good combination of skill, and speed. I believe Martyn Lannster is supposed to be as fast as Jaime, and stronger than the Hound.

Akio said:
You forget no matter how good one warrior is they're is only so much they can affect an entire battlefield. You don't want to fight Auther Dane? Don't challenge him to single combat and just surround him. Besides of this Nagito teir there is only 2 and one isn't even a pc
I'm not talking about a warrior's ability to turn the tide of a battle. This is purely in relation to dueling from my pov.

Akio said:
T

Akio said:
Then there is also tactical strength, archery, political, as well as others. Personal fighting strength might be what actually causes the least amount of affect in Westeros, because you have to come up to a character for it to have an affect, even Nagito can only take 20 men alone.
Archon said:
Okay, my bad. I poorly delivered my point, obviously certain unfairness is needed for the sake of realism because not everybody is the same. What I'm saying, is I think Jaime is the fine-line between playing an exceptionally skilled fighter, and playing a battle demigod - since by reputation - the very top tier were just that. I'm mainly speaking of skill as in, who'd win in a duel. I'm not saying I want everyone to be close in skill, it's just my own opinion that nobody should be excelling Jaime's ability in a duel.
Actually, Jester himself has said Nagito - and his equal, Gale Corbray by extension - are apparently considerably better than two-handed Jaime. I believe they are supposed to be the equivalents of Aemon the Dragonknight. If I was to base my characters off of book ones, then I'd say Rory is slightly below Sandor, and mountain Umber loses to anyone with a good combination of skill, and speed. I believe Martyn Lannster is supposed to be as fast as Jaime, and stronger than the Hound.

I'm not talking about a warrior's ability to turn the tide of a battle. This is purely in relation to dueling from my pov.
From a dueling perspective I guess the best of mine would be Bedivere High tower, I would probably say he is Garlan or Loras level but it is up to the GMs really. I wouldn't mind if he was akin to someone like Arys Oakheart.

I honestly never took that whole as fast as Jaime thing with Martyn seriously. I will forever see him as just a quicker and slightly stronger Sandor. Just as I see Roland as a younger Selmy who is still a good distance from his peak. I also took Nagito with a grain of salt because jester has contradicted himself. He says Nagito would fall to 20 men, exactly what it took to capture Jaime, though he says he's better. I go by examples rather than what people say.

I always thought of Garlan as only being a slight step below Jaime, considering he's always training against three guys at once, and he's better than Loras - whose very good in his own right.

Archon said:
I always thought of Garlan as only being a slight step below Jaime, considering he's always training against three guys at once, and he's better than Loras - whose very good in his own right.
Idk, He trains with three guys at once in an emulation of a battlefield. I don't think he would be much better than Lora's if he is better.

Leusis said:
I honestly never took that whole as fast as Jaime thing with Martyn seriously. I will forever see him as just a quicker and slightly stronger Sandor. Just as I see Roland as a younger Selmy who is still a good distance from his peak. I also took Nagito with a grain of salt because jester has contradicted himself. He says Nagito would fall to 20 men, exactly what it took to capture Jaime, though he says he's better. I go by examples rather than what people say.
Leusis, you genius! You have enlightened me, I too, will go by examples. Because it just seems easier.

Lancelot said:
Idk, He trains with three guys at once in an emulation of a battlefield. I don't think he would be much better than Lora's if he is better.
Hmm maybe, it's vague how much better he is. All we know is Garlan is better. Whether it's barely better, or much better is pure speculation.

Archon said:

Dueling will have little affect though, unless Daenna is captured by someone who allows trial by combat Nagito will never see a duel most likely. Your unlikely ever to get a fair trial with Kuriva faction so Gale is unlikely to see a fair trial by combat. In no other situation should there be a duel, how do you even rank that strength anyhow?

There are a lot of factors like armor and Valyrian steel and fighting style that will shift the battle dramatically. Desgran for example is a massive heavily armed monster with a Valyrian steel ax yet he might have an issue with my character who works around pure speed and skill. But the same time he loses to Roland's skill which counters his speed or would have trouble with armored opponents who can keep up with him due to weapon choice that he might beat otherwise. That's not even counting environmental factors or trickery. Strength is so hard to quantify as far as skill that I'm not sure its something we can even properly say and as far as rp wise the number can be kind of meaningless

Archon said:
Leusis, you genius! You have enlightened me, I too, will go by examples. Because it just seems easier.
Hmm maybe, it's vague how much better he is. All we know is Garlan is better. Whether it's barely better, or much better is pure speculation.
How do we know Garlans better? Have I missed something?

Archon said:
I'm almost certain Loras says so himself.
I will take your word for it then, Garlan was awarded Bright water for his performance on the field at the blackwater so he must be damn good.

Lancelot said:
I will take your word for it then, Garlan was awarded Bright water for his performance on the field at the blackwater so he must be damn good.
I could be wrong, but I think Loras states his brother's better with a sword, whilst he is better atop a horse.

Garlan was the one who wore Renly's armor in the battle too, which is extra-respect points. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back