• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

World war 2 alternate world political/war RP

What tech level are we looking at too? Looking at the sheets its 1940 up to 1944 era equipment but combined with doctrines that appear to be from the 1930s.

especially the naval numbers seem like a weird one to me.

Then again a carrier can be allot of things, it could be a bunch of seaplane tenders and double decked 1920s carriers.

What tech level are we looking at too? Looking at the sheets its 1940 up to 1944 era equipment but combined with doctrines that appear to be from the 1930s.

especially the naval numbers seem like a weird one to me.

Then again a carrier can be allot of things, it could be a bunch of seaplane tenders and double decked 1920s carriers.

We're going for 1940 ish tech, but just like in ww2 old equipment may be used.

We're going for 1940 ish tech, but just like in ww2 old equipment may be used.

You see, this statement isn't really correct seeing as how most sheets that are referencing ww2 equipment have late war weaponry like the jagdpanther, the tiger the focke wulf.

I'm seeing jet fighter craft mentioned,

Heck even mentioning jagdpanthers and panzer IIs as up to date equipment within the same OOB is borderline heresy to any true wehraboo.

Jokes aside though either that statement is not 100% correct or sheets are in need of tweaking.

You see, this statement isn't really correct seeing as how most sheets that are referencing ww2 equipment have late war weaponry like the jagdpanther, the tiger the focke wulf.

I'm seeing jet fighter craft mentioned,

Heck even mentioning jagdpanthers and panzer IIs as up to date equipment within the same OOB is borderline heresy to any true wehraboo.

Jokes aside though either that statement is not 100% correct or sheets are in need of tweaking.

I'm not an expert, but I see no problem with having vehicles like the Jagdpanther, it's within the time frame I can imagine this world is in tech wise. Since this is fictional this war might start a slightly different year than the real one, it will have different battles different people and different tech at different points. We're not following something exactly, but wer’e simply basing of this era.

Now i'm no expert when it comes to jets, so I wouldn't know how that fronts supposed to look. All I know is that there were jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ask me about the spelling in the post above...

I just.. I have no idea what happaned righ there....

See the thing is... 4 years is when comparing to history in general nothing you're right.

But when you're saying 4 years in ww2 terms it's light and day.

A good example would be the aforementioned jagdpanther and the panzer II.
One is a tank armed with a 20mm autocannon, paper for armor and was not even actually intended to be used in the war.

The other is a tank destroyer based on the chassis of a tank that atleast attempted to merge the best of soviet and german tank design and while terribly flawed in its earlier designs by the time of the jagdpanther was a relatively reliable well armored speedy well equiped vehicle.

You could with no effort destroy a 1940 german tank regiment with a jagdpanther company because there would not be a single weapon within that regiments arsenal to actually knock out the jagdpanthers... except for maybe a lucky 75mm hit.

But seeing as how its alt history i guess names are not indicative of ingame capabilities, fair nuff.

The problem is that it creates a huge power disparity. The differences in weaponry, tactics, combat theory, doctrine and training between 1939 and 1945 are massive. In 1939 the Soviets thought they had a pretty neat new heavy tank with the KV-1, in 1945 they were putting IS-3s into service. The T-54/55, the most widely produced tank in the world, a tank that led to a complete overhaul of western anti-tank warfare tactics out of fear of it, which to this day is still in service in many places, had its first prototype completed in 1945. To say nothing of the advancements in air forces and naval capabilities, between jet engines, radar, the switch from Battleships to Carriers, torpedo advancements, nuclear bombs, it's difficult to express just how considerable the gap between prewar and postwar technology is.

If we're transplanting real world designs into this world then I would advocate for a very clear expectation of relative technological power levels. Conversely if we're going to be creating our own designs the capabilities of those designs would need to be very clearly established in order to prevent one side from simply rolfstomping the other.

Without a clear understanding of who is capable of what conflict ingame would likely get very complicated and confusing very quickly, especially if the GM or whomever is mediating the battles is unfamiliar with the era.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that it creates a huge power disparity. The differences in weaponry, tactics, combat theory, doctrine and training between 1939 and 1945 are massive. In 1939 the Soviets thought they had a pretty neat new heavy tank with the KV-1, in 1945 they were putting IS-3s into service. The T-54/55, the most widely produced tank in the world, a tank that led to a complete overhaul of western anti-tank warfare tactics out of fear of it, which to this day is still in service in many places, had its first prototype completed in 1945. To say nothing of the advancements in air forces and naval capabilities, between jet engines, radar, the switch from Battleships to Carriers, torpedo advancements, nuclear bombs, it's difficult to express just how considerable the gap between prewar and postwar technology is.

If we're transplanting real world designs into this world then I would advocate for a very clear expectation of relative technological power levels. Conversely if we're going to be creating our own designs the capabilities of those designs would need to be very clearly established in order to prevent one side from simply rolfstomping the other.

Without a clear understanding of who is capable of what conflict ingame would likely get very complicated and confusing very quickly.

So what would you prefer, fixing the transplanted designs or making new ones?

So what would you prefer, fixing the transplanted designs or making new ones?

Personally I would be happy with allowing people to do either as it suits them, copy/pasting existing real world designs into a fictional setting is a quick and easy way of overcoming what can be a considerable barrier to entry. Not everyone has the patience to design a military from the ground up like Addy over there does. My suggestion would be to limit designs to approximately early 1942 at the latest in order to keep a hard cap on how powerful its possible to be at the start of the game.

I am of course open to other people's ideas however.

Personally I would be happy with allowing people to do either as it suits them, copy/pasting existing real world designs into a fictional setting is a quick and easy way of overcoming what can be a considerable barrier to entry. Not everyone has the patience to design a military from the ground up like Addy over there does. My suggestion would be to limit designs to approximately early 1942 at the latest in order to keep a hard cap on how powerful its possible to be at the start of the game.

I am of course open to other people's ideas however.

This sounds perfectly fine to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back