Other Unpopular Opinions

Mallow leaves.. are my least favorite Mediterranean dish smells so pungent.

you should (if there is one) read the book before you watch the show/movie if it is on going get caught up on it

Last edited:
If you are complaining about later Nintendo games being "not as good" as they once were, then you have become too old for Nintendo games and what needs to happen more is coming to this realization and to not demand that Nintendo needs to change their formula.

Because Nintendo isn't going to change their formula it's still doing pretty good sales wise. And demanding maturity in games aimed at kids and tweens, teens at the latest is more a you problem than it is a brand problem. Man up and get into FromSoft games. Or get into Blasphemous

Not every character needs to be a well-written, well-thought out, complex, layered, realistic individual. Writing characters who are simplistic and whose base personality boils down to a single trope can be perfectly acceptably fun to read and write (as long as this fits with the type of story being told).

Is anybody saying anything else?

I know I've seen some people object to to using the term literate to describe more advanced writers, but I've never seen anyone who's against the concept of those labels entirely.

You aren't wrong about it mostly being centered around the term literate, but I suspect that the dislike isn't only because it doesn't follow the dictionary definition of "can read and write." Moreso, I think people's dislike is been based on these terms being elitist or a denigration of their skill level/writing style. I could be misinterpreting people's motivations but I get the feeling this would still exist even if new terms caught on.

You aren't wrong about it mostly being centered around the term literate, but I suspect that the dislike isn't only because it doesn't follow the dictionary definition of "can read and write." Moreso, I think people's dislike is been based on these terms being elitist or a denigration of their skill level/writing style. I could be misinterpreting people's motivations but I get the feeling this would still exist even if new terms caught on.
I never saw it as elitist tbh. I more so see it as categorizing different RP styles since obviously not everyone has the same style. Some prefer the shorter and quicker posts that are strictly there to move the plot along while others prefer the lengthier posts that add more background information, worldbuilding, etc.

You aren't wrong about it mostly being centered around the term literate, but I suspect that the dislike isn't only because it doesn't follow the dictionary definition of "can read and write." Moreso, I think people's dislike is been based on these terms being elitist or a denigration of their skill level/writing style.
Are those two separate though?

You can't really use the term "literate", which as you point out most often means "the ability to read or write", to describe more advanced writers and then be surprised that people who are then considered to be "non-literate" find the term somewhat elitist.

I can almost guarantee that if you switched to another term, one with less connotations, then people would no longer care.

Edit: I also want to stress that I don't think most people care either way. If the idea that using different terms to denote writing levels really was unpopular, it'd be nowhere as prevalent as it is.

Last edited:
Are those two separate though?

You can't really use the term "literate", which as you point out most often mean "the ability to read or write", to describe more advanced writers and then be surprised that people who are then considered to be "non-literate" find the term somewhat elitist.

I can almost guarantee that if you switched to another term, one with less connotations, then people would no longer care.

I suppose then my actual unpopular opinion then is that I disagree that it's anymore elitist than anything else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back