• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Tossed Salad - Y2

How would you like your roommates designated?

• Same Sex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opposite Sex

• Completely Random [either same/opposite based on chance]

• Total voters
Jomar listened to Vulcan as he somewhat lectured him about overdoing things but he nodded respectfully and then shook his head.

"It's quite fine! Back in Cebu, Doña Cielo would ask me to make three dishes for breakfast everyday. Soup, viand, and the fruit. Besides, it's common in the Philippines to have two or three different dishes every meal." Jomar explained, stirring his soup with the spoon he brought over and sipping it. The sour broth touched his tongue and he nodded with a sigh of satisfaction that it turned out well. "I also kind of made you my food taster to see if I'm wrong about the dish I made. So doing that really is a big help to me." He explained, not wanting to talk about the part that Doña Cielo had the budget for the ingredients already covered. Both she and him did agree that most ingredients were expensive but fair since they would cost a pretty penny back in his country.

"So...please, try." He said as he looked at him cheerfully with expectant eyes.

@Vulcan

Vulcan replied with a small grimace regarding the fact that Jomar didn't want anything in return but that was quickly replaced by a smile again. "Well, if that's what you are used to doing, then who am I to stop you. And don't you worry one bit about me trying all of this. I can't wait to do so." he said, then turned his attention back to the dishes, the aroma of which was making him more and more eager to actually try them and not talk about them. Seeing Jomar try the soup first, Vulcan too slid the bowl closer to himself and sampled the broth first, then some meat and asparagus with some other greens as well. It was still hot and a bit spicier that he had imagined but it was good. "Mmm... That's good." he said, pointing at the soup with his spoon. "Haven't eaten asparagus in a very long time now and certainly not in this form. This kinda reminds me of a traditional dish we have in Bulgaria as well. It's made with veal instead of chicken but to make it, I'd need a pressure cooker. Have you seen one when you were in the kitchen?" he asked and took another spoonful of soup while waiting for him to answer. @CoconutLeaves

Yuki had arrived a day before. Though she had immediately gone to bed there, because of jet lag and because she did not sleep the two days before she traveled out of excitement. Now, it was Monday and that meant, time to get up for school. Yuki never had trouble to get up, though she wasn't much of a morning person either. She just was able to deal with it. Therefore, she headed to take a shower after she had been woken up by her alarm. After she had showered, dryed and prepared herself by brushing teeth etc, she dressed casually with a white skirt and a greyish-pullover over a pink shirt. Of course, she wore her necklace.

Then she was clueless what to do now. She hadn't looked around at the house yet. And that meant, she had no idea where for example the kitchen was. Irritatedly, she walked around the house, searching the kitchen to get something to eat before heading to school.

Bulgarian Dish...Veal...Pressure Cooker.

Jomar memorized those three key necessities for the creation of the dish. Perhaps he can see how Vulcan would be able to cook the dishes... "There is one, actually. I haven't used it though," he added. When it comes to pressure cookers, he always equated them with the cooking of steaks or tough meats. Beef was somewhat uncommon in his country, well uncommon that you won't find it in the local market, the supermarket may have them but Doña Cielo was often hesitant in purchasing those. She had a strong belief in freshness and for her, the best kind of fresh was when the butcher was still in the process of cutting them. Veal was even more uncommon than beef and Jomar cannot remember ever buying one, depending only on Doña Cielo's friends to procure them, "But since it's here it should be working." He reasoned, sounding somewhat lame.

Pleased though that he liked the food, Jomar could peacefully report to his benefactor could. "I'm happy you like it." He said with relief. He began to eating the torta with delight.

"So, what do you think of Oceane?" He asked with a teasing grin, wondering if the Bulgarian liked the French girl.

@Vulcan

"Good. Then I'll be attempting it either tomorrow or today after school." he said with a nod and took another sip of soup before pushing it back in the background and pulling the omelette like dish closer, imitating what Jomar did. Just as he was cutting a piece that he was about to bring up to his mouth, did Jomar ask him about Oceane. Vulcan put the fork down again and thought for a moment, eventually remembering this was the French girl. "Haven't really gotten to talking to her much so I don't know what I think of her." he said. "Haven't even seen her too much around. I guess she's fine. On the other hand, I think I made friends with Elijah." he finished and quickly ate the piece still stuck to his fork before he was interrupted again. This time however, after taking a bite, he brought his hand to his chin and furrowed his brows. He wasn't sure he liked this one as meat pies had never been a thing he really enjoyed. Still, it wasn't long till his features softened again and he took another bite as to not offend the cook. "How about you, have you struck up some acquaintances those past few days?" he asked in return. @CoconutLeaves

Last edited by a moderator:
"No, no, I was too busy looking around." He answered, and he was. The whole weekend was spent with him strolling around and looking at the stores and taking pictures of the local monuments, sending it to Facebook for his family to see. The rest of the time was Skyping with them and talking to Vulcan as he began to organize his room to his liking. Now the walls were hoisted with pictures of imitation paintings of Fernando Amorsolo works, a poster of Kai Honasan and MYMP placed before his bedpost, and a line of cookbooks that were on the side of the table, piled neatly just waiting for a bookshelf to make it upright. "It would be nice if I can meet the others, but aside from the first day, it's hard meeting the others."

He felt a wave of worry as Vulcan as he ate the torta, "What's wrong. Is it the cheese? or the peppers? did I make it too salty?" He asked but trying to seem like it didn't matter that much too him, even though it was clear he was failing at keeping the stoic composure necessary for that.

@Vulcan

Yuki was distracted by the smell of food. Food meant a kitchen, right? Yuki decided that was how it was and she would follow that smell. It guided her towards a door, which she thought a kitchen would be behind.

Yuki then opened the door, finding no kitchen, but a dorm room. She blushed as she seemed to have distracted two boys who were taking breakfast."Oh... Sorry... I thought this was the kitchen... It... it smelled like food around here...", she said with her squeaky accented voice.

@Vulcan @CoconutLeaves

"What? No!" he exclaimed, somewhat shocked by Jomar's reaction, who was clearly worried and possible offended. "It's just that I'm not a huge fan of meat pies. That's all. Doesn't mean it's bad." he explained, attempting to make the situation a bit better than he felt it was currently. Then suddenly, either by luck or fate, Vulcan heard the door opening and was quick to turn in his seat to look what it was all about. To his surprise there was a clearly Asian looking girl standing in the doorway. Like most foreigners, she had a bit of an accent but it was no big deal understanding what she was saying. Then again, he was sure the same applied to him as well. "No problem. Come in if you like." he offered after gathering his thoughts once again. @Ami the breadling

Oh! Oh. Oh.

Jomar felt a bit relieved but also stung from the comment. Even his food wasn't enough to change his opinion on something he usually disliked. Smiling weakly, he nodded and went back to eating. "Oh, okay then. You don't need to force yourself to eat the torta then." He was a long way from being like Doña Cielo where even her cooking could change the hearts of men. That's how she got married to a very popular man after all.

"So which cla--" He couldn't finish his question as a girl came in and began to apologize. She was beautiful. That's what Jomar thought and he felt a bit flabbergasted at being in front a beautiful girl that it left him speechless for a moment before he began to speak.

"Good morning! It's fine, come eat with us!" He said, standing up and going past her to quickly get some more of the soup. He took a plate and a pair of utensils and went back to his room and placed the soup on the plate. He gave a clear piece of toast that he hadn't touched yet and took two portions of the torta from the main plate and then offered it to her.

"I'm Jomar and this is my friend Vulcan, nice to meet you!" He said with a smile.

@Ami the breadling

Felix woke up, tired and unaware of where he was. He shurggilshy got out of bed, changed clothes, styled his hair, and walked outside. The warm air hit him in the face like a brick.

"Fucking Christ", he said out loud. "This is nothing like Sweden".

He walked back inside to change, he smelt a great assortment of all types of foods, clashing together. He followed his nose, until he ended up in front of a dorm.

Felix walked into the dorm to be greeted by a party of other exchange students.

"H-hej," he said, almost in a whisper "Är det där maten serveras?". Forgetting that most likely nobody here spoke Swedish, he quickly translated.

"Oh, uh.. Sorry. Is this where we eat?"

@Ami the breadling @CoconutLeaves

CoconutLeaves said:
Oh! Oh. Oh.

Jomar felt a bit relieved but also stung from the comment. Even his food wasn't enough to change his opinion on something he usually disliked. Smiling weakly, he nodded and went back to eating. "Oh, okay then. You don't need to force yourself to eat the torta then." He was a long way from being like Doña Cielo where even her cooking could change the hearts of men. That's how she got married to a very popular man after all.

"So which cla--" He couldn't finish his question as a girl came in and began to apologize. She was beautiful. That's what Jomar thought and he felt a bit flabbergasted at being in front a beautiful girl that it left him speechless for a moment before he began to speak.

"Good morning! It's fine, come eat with us!" He said, standing up and going past her to quickly get some more of the soup. He took a plate and a pair of utensils and went back to his room and placed the soup on the plate. He gave a clear piece of toast that he hadn't touched yet and took two portions of the torta from the main plate and then offered it to her.

"I'm Jomar and this is my friend Vulcan, nice to meet you!" He said with a smile.

@Ami the breadling
Vulcan said:
"What? No!" he exclaimed, somewhat shocked by Jomar's reaction, who was clearly worried and possible offended. "It's just that I'm not a huge fan of meat pies. That's all. Doesn't mean it's bad." he explained, attempting to make the situation a bit better than he felt it was currently. Then suddenly, either by luck or fate, Vulcan heard the door opening and was quick to turn in his seat to look what it was all about. To his surprise there was a clearly Asian looking girl standing in the doorway. Like most foreigners, she had a bit of an accent but it was no big deal understanding what she was saying. Then again, he was sure the same applied to him as well. "No problem. Come in if you like." he offered after gathering his thoughts once again. @Ami the breadling
Yuki was flustered by so much kindness, she blushed even more. "I... thanks... I am Yukari...friends call me Yuki.", she said and sat on the bed, taking a plate. "Itadakimasu...", she said and tried it. The food tasted strange, not like something she had eaten before. Though it was good, the soup at least, that was what she had tried. The hunger she had was shown on her face and how grateful she was about something to eat.

"Nice to meet you Yukari. You're Japanese then right?" Jomar asked, quite familiar with those names. With the proliferation of anime and manga in the country, hearing such names obviously brought about images of Japan. Not to mention those going to Oslob for Whaleshark watching were often Japanese, well it was all to clear who it was. He watched her expression and wondered where he went wrong with the ingredients. She seemed to like the soup, but was the torta that bad?

He wanted to ask if the food was disagreeable to her until someone else entered the room. His eyes went up to another tall handsome person, similar to the giant he met two days ago. He felt sorry that he was hungry and wished he made more toast. He probably wouldn't be able to with the time, but there was enough Tinola for two people, and a slice of the torta for this man.

"Hi! Wait right there, I'll get you a plate." He smiled as she passed Felix this time and went down to the kitchen to get a plate, a bowl of soup and untoasted bread and gathered the rest of the marmalade he planned to jar. He went back up and placed the bread near the table and the empty plate with utensils with it. Taking another slice of the torta he placed it on the plate and went to his luggage and took out a bag of biscoccho.

The biscoccho was the Philippine cousin of the biscotti. Larger than the biscotti, it was less fragrant and had a buttery texture. When eaten, it did not have the hardness and subtle flavors of the biscotti, but a crunchy, chewy mix where the taste of butter and sugar begged for coffee to complement it. He opened it and let the smell waft and offered it to the newcomers in a plate.

"My name is Jomar, and this is my roommate Vulcan," He introduced himself and Vulcan to the stranger as he pointed to Vulcan with an open palm to respectfully refer to him, "and she's Yukari."

"I didn't make enough toast, so have some biscoccho with your marmalade if untoasted bread is not your thing." He apologized bashfully. He feared the next person who will pop in might have to go hungry unless he goes back to cooking.

@Ami the breadling @amexFear

Felix watched Jomar hurry around gathering different foods, creating a pallete for him, and felt bad, but he was so hungry he didn't care. Felix listened respectively to Jomar as he explained to him his food choices, but none of it made any sense to Felix, as he was mostly raised on a fish diet. He graciously ate the assortment of food, before realizing he hadn't introduced himself.

Almost forgetting how to speak English in his nervousness, his words came out stuttered and littered with flaws.

"M-my.. name is Felix?" He said, almost questioning himself in his usage and word choice. "It's.. nice to meet you all." His thick Swedish accent was definitely coming out.

amexFear said:
Felix watched Jomar hurry around gathering different foods, creating a pallete for him, and felt bad, but he was so hungry he didn't care. Felix listened respectively to Jomar as he explained to him his food choices, but none of it made any sense to Felix, as he was mostly raised on a fish diet. He graciously ate the assortment of food, before realizing he hadn't introduced himself.
Almost forgetting how to speak English in his nervousness, his words came out stuttered and littered with flaws.

"M-my.. name is Felix?" He said, almost questioning himself in his usage and word choice. "It's.. nice to meet you all." His thick Swedish accent was definitely coming out.

Yukari smiled and ate on. "Indeed i am japanese.", she said. Her accent of course was present too. "What is this soup called? It tastes delicious...", she then said. "I might try to make it myself sometime... If you help me...", she said, a little shy. She played around with the golden heart on her necklace while speaking. Then she turned to the new guy. "And... Where are you from? Id say european, right?", she said and smiled kindly. Though it was visible, that she was a bit embarrassed for her voice. It was really high pitched and alot of people disliked that and found it annoying.

@Vulcan @CoconutLeaves

Hearing the girl beckon towards him, asking his ethnic background, Felix glanced at her.

"European? Yes. From Sweden. Malmö." Felix wasn't particularly awkward around girls, it was just the new environment making him self-conscious about everything he said.

"You're from Japan, I hear." He cleared his throat.

Felix quite liked Yuki's voice.

"What's it like over there?"

@Ami the breadling

amexFear said:
Hearing the girl beckon towards him, asking his ethnic background, Felix glanced at her.
"European? Yes. From Sweden. Malmö." Felix wasn't particularly awkward around girls, it was just the new environment making him self-conscious about everything he said.

"You're from Japan, I hear." He cleared his throat.

Felix quite liked Yuki's voice.

"What's it like over there?"

@Ami the breadling
Yuki shrugged. "Not as great as you would expect. A lot of people only see animes and then want to live in Japan...", she said, her smile not fading. She could not imagine life in Sweden. But she remembered something. "I heard Sweden is the happiest country in the world..."

"One of," Felix corrected her. "Sweden has a high standard of living, which helps. But it's most certainly not the happiest." Felix tried to smile, but remembered home and, even though he'd only been in America for a day, he missed it. A lot.

"I'm sorry. I think I'm going to go to the office early, see if I can get my schedule."

amexFear said:
"One of," Felix corrected her. "Sweden has a high standard of living, which helps. But it's most certainly not the happiest." Felix tried to smile, but remembered home and, even though he'd only been in America for a day, he missed it. A lot.
"I'm sorry. I think I'm going to go to the office early, see if I can get my schedule."
She nodded. Her smile stood, but her eyes got incredibly sad. "It must be great to live in a nice country with high living standards...", she said. She tried to sound like it was a casual thing. But she obviously had gotten sad for some reason.

giphy.gif

"?? ????? ?????"

"Yes, mother, I'll be fine." As much as she loved her mother, Layla Amira Khan needed a break. The plane ride from her small arse village was rather long and had already caused her to feel woozy and jetlagged. The last thing she needed was another lecture from her mother about not carrying pepper spray wherever she went.

"??? ???? ?? ?? ?? ???. ??? ??? ???? ?? ??? ??? ??? ????? ???? ????? ?? ???? ???? ????."

Letting out a scoff, Layla rolled her eyes as she approached the school, looking it up and down, "Mom. I'm not about to call you in case I see a wasp. I'll be fine." She wouldn't be fine. One thing her mother didn't know about her daughter was her wicked personality. No, Layla was not evil. She was more factitious, more disruptive. She would not enter something without an entrance. It was in her blood to do so. Most people in her family always said she was more like her father than she wanted to admit. The way they talked, the way they carried themselves, as if they ruled whatever land they stepped foot on. That was just how Layla was. Drawing the conversation to a close, Layla let out a sigh and finally spoke, "I bet you they won't have any of your spices. I might as well get used to the bland ass food now." Layla didn't wait for her mother to respond and simply said, "love you, I'll call you later." Putting her phone away, the girl opened her bag and popped a pill to subdue the pain in her head. What she needed was food, but what she wanted was sleep. As she rolled her suitcase to her dorm room, she didn't wait to knock, but barged in, not caring whether there was a person or in there or not. Tossing her bag on the floor, she flopped onto the bed and closed her eyes, not before her stomach let out a cry of hunger. She'd have to get food eventually. But that would require talking to people. And as social as Layla was, she didn't want to talk to anyone at this point.

Yuki had finished her meal when she realized something. She lacked her stuff for studies as well as a jacket. SHe quickly got up. "S-Sorry i forgot something in my dorm. See you at school i believe, no?", she said and hurried out. She further had forgotten something else. Something she wanted to keep a secret. A plush of hers, one she had gotten from her mother. It was her treasure and she always took it with her when she was afraid. @amexFear

Yuki ran rowards her dorm and opened the door in hurry. She did not pay attention if someone was inside, because she did not realiye she would have a dorm mate.

@Aato

Figuring no one would come Eli got up with a shrug and began wandering the halls. He wasn't really looking looking for anyone, by which is meant he wasn't actively searching for someone. If he happened to run into someone though he'd probably be grateful. He smelled food and walked in the general direction; where there was food there was people. It led him to a dorm room, that as he approached a girl came rushing out of. She was giving off an anxious vibe, and that made Eli want to call out to her, but he was worried he would sound wrong if he did. He looked in the room to see Vulcan, Jomar, if he remembered his name correctly and a new kid he hadn't met. He gave a small wave to Vulcan and gave a small gesture into the room with a questioning look, signifying he was asking if he could come in. "Mmay I?" he asked slowly, making sure he pronounced the words as best he could. @amexFear @Ami the breadling

Vulcan stood quiet for the most part, listening and occasionally eating what was left in his plates. The morning party in their rather small dorm room was growing as more people came in but he wasn't too bothered by this as eventually, some of them left to prepare for school, something he'd probably focus his attention to soon as well. He was even still wearing his sleepwear and now that he thought about it, it really made him feel uncomfortable being surrounded by all those people he didn't know.

Sure enough, while one left, another joined them. Luckily, this time it was someone Vulcan actually knew. He returned the wave with a hearty smile and made a motion with his hand that he could come in. Every time he had to make such a motion, not having enough time to write down what he was trying to say, Vulcan felt it was really rude. He put a serious mental note to ask Elijah to teach him some sign language. This was a language meant to be rather simple so how hard could be to learn at least the basics.

@Whoever is left in the room, I dunno

"Tinola." Jomar answered to Yuki and then fell silent as she began talking with Felix.The song 'Hahahahasula' played in his mind and he mentally slapped himself for going that far when he just met these people today. He focused on eating once more, trying to get ready for school so that he and Vulcan could get there on time.

"Alright, bye Felix, bye Yukari. If you ever feel like having breakfast, drop by here!" He smiled cheerfully before realizing he forgot to give them souvenirs. Making a mental note to do that after class, he finished his food when someone else began to come in.

"Good Morning, Elijah." He smiled, though reaaally regretting that he didn't cook more for another guest. In his defense, he did not think two people would burst in, and with an additional one, he was out of food even for him. It was time to cheat.

Taking a piece of paper, Jomar wrote 'Good morning, join us for breakfast, please wait' on it and handed it to his good looking neighbor. He went to his luggage and took three things and went to the kitchen. The first thing was an instant ten-in-one instant coffee packet; the flavor of the coffee mixed with mushroom, sugar, cream, and whatever ingredient the packet listed. The second thing was a bottle of Spanish Sardines in corn oil, comfort food for Jomar but right now he will have to apologize to Elijah that this is the only thing he had with him. He placed the instant coffee granules in a mug and put in the piping hot water from a thermos nearby. As for the sardines, he took a plate and began to put a good portion of them in a decorative manner with a good heaping of the corn oil and cut small pieces of bread and inserted them in the middle of the plate to soak up some of the oil. The third item was 'Skyflakes', dry crackers that could be comparable to a saltine. He broke them into smaller squares and arranged them on the rims of the plate and headed back up after stirring the mug one last time.

He came back into the room and put the plate and coffee near the table to Elijah and began to write on another piece of paper.

"I only have Spanish Sardines and Crackers. I'm really sorry, I don't have anything better. The rest of the food was already eaten." He apologized in advance. He didn't know what the others liked to eat, but surely it wasn't what he was going to give out to Elijah. He felt a sense of shame overcome him, and promised himself he had to make extra portion for four people next time.

@Vulcan @PenguinFox

Eli smiled and stepped in. He thanked the two for their hospitality in sign. He knew they wouldn't understand any of it except for 'thank you' if they remembered but he did so anyway. Even if he was speaking, or writing conversations down he would often sign things as well, kind of out of habit. He was surprised when he was handed a piece of paper with writing on it, but grateful he didn't need to get his notebook out. Jomar was offering him breakfast. He frowned slightly when he read it and was going to respond, but he had already left the immediate are for him to respond. Eli was grateful for the offer but he had already eaten, and was a fairly light eater to begin with. He smelled coffee and was relieved that he wouldn't have to turn it entirely down. While he ate light, Eli drank a lot, of everything too. Doesn't really matter what the drink was, if it was a consumable liquid he drank it. He also loved caffeine so that was a bonus. When Jomar returned he wrote on the paper more telling Eli what it was. Eli smiled graciously and took the paper. 'While I really appreciate these, I have already eaten and don't want to be a bother. I thank you for this, and am eager to repay you soon. On a slightly unrelated note who were the others?' he was not used to being in the know, in the deaf community everyone shares pretty much everything. People are always in the know about who was who and what was going on. It is usually expected than when someone new arrives into the community they're introduced to all as soon as possible. @Vulcan @CoconutLeaves

For Cortez, Friday night had ended in a blur. The last thing he remembered was talking to a guy who didn't seem the most pleased by his company at dinner, and then stumbling into bed. He refreshed himself with s shower that following morning and then spent the rest of his Saturday, and Sunday too, catching up on his hobby of painting. He probably should have been mingling with the others, but he was admittedly a little homesick (it was always worst the first few days) and painting would ease his nerves. He had laid down plastic bags in a corner of the room near his bed and set up his easel; similar to his setup at home. He would also spend his time making sure he was packed and prepared for the following school day.

Monday morning had come much more quickly than he expected and before he knew it, he was waking up to the sound of his phone alarm going off at 7:00. He sat up with a groan and muttered something incoherent to himself before rubbing his eyes into focus. Looking around the room, he hiked an eyebrow. The covers of the bed across the room were frazzled. It seemed he went to sleep alone and woke up to a roommate. Well, a missing roommate. He suspected it was a good thing he hadn't gotten around to putting the beds together yet. That would've been an awkward meeting.

Well, it was no true mind to him that his roommate had already gone...somewhere. Perhaps they were eating breakfast. He'd just carry on with his morning, getting ready and such. He rolled himself out of bed, grabbed a couple of things from his dresser, then made his way into the bathroom to wash and such.

About 20 minutes later, he exited, fresh and clean and the aromas he washed with drifted from the bathroom to fill the room. They were spicy scents with a sweet, maybe fruity, undertone. He was clad in a towel secured around his waist while he stood looking in a small mirror on his dresser top, examining his face. His lips soon curved into a pleased smirk before giving an affirmative nod and then moving to change into his clothes. He started with underclothes and then was just pulling on his cargo shorts, getting ready to zip them when the door suddenly swung open.

"Cielos!" He jumped with a bit of surprise. He was used to people barging in; it was a common thing in Cuba, but he hadn't been expecting that from anyone here. He turned to see a girl, thin in frame, soft featured, and pale. She reminded him a bit of a doll as he now noticed her long dark hair coupled with her previously noted attributes. She was East Asian; he could tell that much, but from which country, he could only guess.

So, this was his mystery roommate...

"Hola," he greeted along with a solitary wave and a sheepish smile.

@Ami the breadling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back