[The Seven Deadly Sins] OOC Thread

So, I have 35 Unspent EXP... and I, as of taking the Heuristic Logos Shintai with my earlier EXP- Qualify to learn Triumphant Howl of the Devil Tiger. How would we work this, and would having Viktor explain how count as training for the purpose of reduced EXP Cost for a Charm?

I'm pretty sure that "halving my soak" and "External penalty equal to essence" are a keyword effect. Probably Shaping, especially since they seem to be just declaring it without giving me a chance to defend.

EDIT: Also, I get a perception + Awareness check to track the target if he goes back in to stealth

Last edited by a moderator:
External penalty and halving soak carry no normal keywords. The only keyword that they DO carry is an Revolution Keyword, which allows them to do those kind of things to Solars and/or other kings. That keyword is the unique feature of the King-Slaying Revolution Style.

No. No solaroid can learn those charms since the concept is completely foreign to their essence. Lunars may be the only ones to be able to learn it, but that's only with a Sidereal tutor.

JayTee said:
EDIT: Also, I get a perception + Awareness check to track the target if he goes back in to stealth
Go ahead and roll it then. The only way that you won't be able to ROFL stomp my opponents at this essence level is if I pull out thing like this.

First off, shenanigans. If they affect my stats in some way, they carry a keyword that Solar anti-keyword defenses can shut down. These definitely sound like Shaping, at the very least.

Secondly, these charms sound blatantly overpowered and poorly balanced, not to mention out of theme for the game in general. I get that you're trying to provide me a challenge, but this kind of stuff is the wrong way to go about doing it.

JayTee said:
First off, shenanigans. If they affect my stats in some way, they carry a keyword that Solar anti-keyword defenses can shut down. These definitely sound like Shaping, at the very least.
Secondly, these charms sound blatantly overpowered and poorly balanced, not to mention out of theme for the game in general. I get that you're trying to provide me a challenge, but this kind of stuff is the wrong way to go about doing it.
Alright then. I'll just edit it out. What would be a good way to challenge you combat-wise?

Open with a surprise attack, like you did. It'll fail, but I'll be forced to spend the mote to activate the surprise negator and I wont be able to activate Infinite Master without risking myself.

After that, the easiest and most effective way is to break out the flurries with artifact weapons. They have a minimum damage of 2+, which my soak can't negate completely. This'll force me to spend motes on Sprit Strengthens the Skin and Iron Skin Concentration to reduce the post-saok damage. Alternately, charms that add to the post soak are also a good way to do it. Violet Bier of Sorrows has some charms that do that, and I think there are a few in the native DB charmset that add to the post soak damage as well. As a rule though, post soak damage adders are expensive, so it's unlikely that they would go beyond 5-6 dice.

On a meta note, I'd actually be very willing to reboot my character in to something less combat savvy if it means I don't have to enter combat anymore. I already mentioned my unhappiness with the games combat engine, so the more I can avoid that, the happier I'll be.

(Also, sorry if I came off as too harsh before. My bad)

Or use an unarmed Martial Artist, and focus on clinches. I think my duel with Elio demonstrated that that's pretty much the way for a martial artist to screw up a Melee-user.

Very true, but clinches are more poorly calibrated than the rest of the combat engine, so I would advise against them.

The problem that I have is that with Lion's Roar Recovery the Sidereal will run out of motes before you do. You only lost 2-3 motes after your huge destroy everything combo.

On a side note, I may need some help with non-combat stuff too if that's getting too annoying.

That's more or less "working as intended" though. Solars are generally stronger than the other Exalts except when it comes to their areas of focus.

If you want, I can shuffle my charms around to remove some of the bite my combat array has, that should make things easier for you.

I would appreciate that. I'll try to create situations that don't really involve combat. At the very most, the Sin fights will be the only combat scenes from now on.

I wouldn't go that far. I may be a bitchy whiny little shit, but if the others are having fun with the current combat frequency, keep it as is.

Well, my Char... really can't do much more than take hits and live, in a fight against anything powerfull enough to threaten the rest of the party. He's wayy less combative than /everyone/ else.

Well... it did kinda seem like whining- until you brought up nerfing your combat to make it less of a thing, so he wouldn't need ot pulll things.

Then again, I don't really.. I have issues critisizing DM's.

You had valid points of argument. The only thing I can (sorta) complain about is you asking about the charm effects. That's sorta meta-gaming to an uncomfortable level. If you had essence sight up and you rolled for it then it would have been okay.

It's partly my fault. Combat is one of only things that I have a comfortable grasp upon in Exalted. Probably it's because I play too much combat-based games. Overall, the fact that we're playing at such a high level is kind of difficult to GM. I feel like I want to make games challenging. But I can't really do that when you guys are able to beat the enemies without much difficulty.

[QUOTE="Seeker of the End]I would appreciate that. I'll try to create situations that don't really involve combat. At the very most, the Sin fights will be the only combat scenes from now on.

[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't go that far. At the very least, I'd like an army or two to burn after I get Apocalypse Fire-Wyrm Shintai (though that may or may not count as real combat). And on the whole, as clunky as it can be, I do enjoy combat; it takes up a majority of my charms too, after all. As for challenging, I'd say the fight we just had sorta qualifies. At the very least, you made us work for it; I'm damn near tapped out of motes.

JayTee said:
Opening myself up to some criticism: How much of an ass was I about this, @Seeker of the End, @WarDragon, @Sherwood, @SephirothSage @shepsquared ?
Did I detract from your fun in the game? Did I come off as selfish and spoiled? Be honest. I know my flaws and accept criticism based on them readily.
Really... the asking to have the exact text of the Charms, and obstinate insistence that they be something that not only can Solars defend against but that Kyros can defend against (holy crap you really do have all the keyword defenses... never seen someone actually take Unbreakable Warrior's Mastery before) did come off a little bit entitled. Solars are supposed to be the baddest of the badass, theoretically, but they aren't invincible, and in-game, there's no real reason you'd have knowledge of an obscure Sidereal Martial Art, which your opponent seems to be using.

It helps that it's an SMA that was specifically designed to allow the Sidereals to kill the high-essence Solars during the Usurpation. I don't buy the ambush at Calibration miraculously killed all the Solars ONE BIT.

On a separate note...

JayTee said:
Very true, but clinches are more poorly calibrated than the rest of the combat engine, so I would advise against them.
Meh. They're only really super dangerous in a 1-on-1 duel, where the target has no martial arts score of his own. In the arena, yes, it would give an advantage, but in a real fight where you had allies, not necessarily so much of one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back