The Queen's Madness - OOC

Idea said:
light is not a CLASSICAL element, but it is an element
I may not have expressed myself correctly when I said "sect" since I didn´t mean a religious cult of any sort, but a segment, a faction
I disagree with you on Light being an element, since I don't think it counts as part of something that's abstract, like Nature, but simply power gifted to beings through the Gods.

Unless Gods count as something abstract, which would mean that Gods aren't proven to exist in the Lore.

Also, a sect is indeed a religious group that have different beliefs than most of their kind, so just use the word faction next time.

The Lost Dwarves don't necessarily count as one faction, since there are many groups of Lost Dwarves. They're a segment of dwarves, though.

The Forsaken can sort of count as a faction.

"A part or aspect of something abstract, especially one that is essential or characteristic." - Element definition.

Water, Fire, Earth, Air, all that counts as elemental/elements since it's a part of Nature.

The Light itself, as I think of it, is channeling through the Gods, which aren't very abstract when compared to something like Nature, which doesn't physically exist, rather being a generalization of different powers found naturally.

KillThemAll said:
I disagree with you on Light being an element, since I don't think it counts as part of something that's abstract, like Nature, but simply power gifted to beings through the Gods.
1. Light is part of nature.

2. If light is not the light of nature, then it is holy

3. If it is holy, you not only have to suppose these gods exist as gods (which in turn would most likely need to agreement of every other roleplayer, since that would make the highborn´s religion the actual true religion in this world, thus making all others inherently false)

KillThemAll said:
A part or aspect of something abstract, especially one that is essential or characteristic."
4. Light is neither part nor aspect of any god

5. the actual things that amount to this "light" can only be agrouped on an abstract level

Therefore, light is an element.

ianbabyyy said:
I saw them and now I'm pretending I didn't see them because I'm lazy and eating a brownie.
Well.. you know... figured you would miss doing stuff. (^U^)

Idea said:
1. Light is part of nature.
2. If light is not the light of nature, then it is holy

3. If it is holy, you not only have to suppose these gods exist as gods (which in turn would most likely need to agreement of every other roleplayer, since that would make the highborn´s religion the actual true religion in this world, thus making all others inherently false)

4. Light is neither part nor aspect of any god

5. the actual things that amount to this "light" can only be agrouped on an abstract level

Therefore, light is an element.
The Highborne don't have their own religion, they channel the power of the Light, as in Holy Power. The other pantheons don't have to be disproven, as each mortal society's idea of the Gods is different and therefore they could just be entirely different.

No, Light is not an element, considering that (presumably) some form of an Immortal exists and that is where the Light comes from, at least for the Highborne.

What amounts to the Light is pure Holy Energy, which is physically seen and therefore not abstract. If a God exists, the Light can too, because the Highborne just siphon the powers of an immortal and dispense it as the Holy Light. Their religion and their abilities are different things.

KillThemAll said:
No, Light is not an element, considering that (presumably) some form of an Immortal exists and that is where the Light comes from, at least for the Highborne.
having origin on something is different from being part of it or "aspect" of it.

KillThemAll said:
What amounts to the Light is pure Holy Energy, which is physically seen and therefore not abstract
This "pure holy energy" is, if anything, a lot MORE abstract than say fire, earth, water and wind.

For example,

A paladin of Odin strolls into a town. He proclaims that there is one true god: Odin.

However, a priest, another being that can call upon godly intervention, this one of Nostros, comes and says their god is the one true god by showing off their abilities.

A warlock worshiping a demon or Old God does the same.

The Highborne draw their power from, presumably, the Gods they worship. It doesn't mean that those Gods, specifically, are granting them that power. In theory, it could be any God or even just some entity that they call out to that identifies itself as more than one god. Or, it could be an entire pantheon of Gods, since the Highborne can worship anyone and still draw on the Light. Highborne worshiping evil entities therefore being "Anti Paladin", etc.

If you think Light is an element, go ahead and believe that, but I disagree.

The Light is not a part of something, it's the physical manifestation of a God's power, and therefore I don't believe it's an element.

Maybe if you think of it by different definitions, sure.

This is another definition of element that I commonly think of.

• any of the four substances (earth, water, air, and fire) regarded as the fundamental constituents of the world in ancient and medieval philosophy.
  • one of the four substances (earth, water, air, or fire) considered as a person's or animal's natural environment.
    "for the islanders, the sea is their kingdom, water their element"
  • the weather, especially strong winds, heavy rain, and other kinds of bad weather.
    plural noun: the elements
    "there was no barrier against the elements"
    synonyms: weather, climate, meteorological conditions, atmospheric conditions; More

The classic pillars of the world. They are all a part of Nature, but the Light isn't a part of anything, it's just a manifestation of godly power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back