Other Roleplay Pet peeves

You see, I heavily stress semantics when writing, and although I don't do fandom crossovers much anymore, it has been my understanding for 14 years that the term "multi-fandom" denotes a crossover. Suddenly, 1x1 searches are cropping up with this tag, sometimes in the wrong interest check category entirely.

These checks are actually egregiously mislabeled. You are not being asked to pick two or more fandoms whose characters will interact for a unified plot; you are picking a single fandom from some list and likely a canon character that will be paired with a character from the same universe. That is not multi-fandom.

I’m not sure if this is a pet peeve or not but after having a couple of people drop you from round makes you question if you are not good at roleplaying anymore or if it’s just not a good fit with you and certain people. Like humans make mistakes right? We are not mind readers able to create the perfect rp post for you.

I’m not sure if this is a pet peeve or not but after having a couple of people drop you from round makes you question if you are not good at roleplaying anymore or if it’s just not a good fit with you and certain people. Like humans make mistakes right? We are not mind readers able to create the perfect rp post for you.
I see this sentiment a lot, and I always think of one particular thread. I think this really changed my own perspective on finding RP partners, and I think it could help you too!

You see, I heavily stress semantics when writing, and although I don't do fandom crossovers much anymore, it has been my understanding for 14 years that the term "multi-fandom" denotes a crossover. Suddenly, 1x1 searches are cropping up with this tag, sometimes in the wrong interest check category entirely.

These checks are actually egregiously mislabeled. You are not being asked to pick two or more fandoms whose characters will interact for a unified plot; you are picking a single fandom from some list and likely a canon character that will be paired with a character from the same universe. That is not multi-fandom.

It seems like a holdover from places like Tumblr, LiveJournal, Twitter, etc where it's used as a way to distinguish between accounts dedicated to a singular fandom or multiple.

To me it's silly to denote that you have multiple interests but especially so in request threads where it would already be expected.

I've seen "panfandom" used in place of crossover but I think that's more of a recent thing.

My actual peeves:
1. When people reduce a historical period down to its aesthetics.
2. Overly long roleplay titles.

I see this sentiment a lot, and I always think of one particular thread. I think this really changed my own perspective on finding RP partners, and I think it could help you too!
Ive been doing all of those already, waiting and waiting and searching for my tribe but they don’t seem to be around here.

Ive been doing all of those already, waiting and waiting and searching for my tribe but they don’t seem to be around here.
I feel like maybe I miscommunicated. The list of tips is a pretty small portion of the thread as a whole. The thing that impacted me the most is the ratio between failed RPs and successful ones. Being ghosted, and RPs flopping, is a pretty normal part of the experience unfortunately - just like in real life, most people you talk to and meet up with are people you won't wind up making long term connections with.

So don't misunderstand, I'm not criticizing your methods. My point is less "you're not doing things right" and more "you're not necessarily doing anything wrong". You seemed to be questioning your own abilities, and I figured it may be heartening to know that the vast, vast majority of RPs don't actually work out for MOST people, not just you. It isn't necessarily a commentary in your skill.

What is it with these thread titles composed entirely of "regional indicator" emojis? I'm talking about the big, usually blue block letters. These emojis are known to combine into one flag emoji when placed consecutively. I feel like I'm standing in front of the UN Headquarters in Geneva. I'd stand a better chance of understanding a lecture in Romansh than deciphering these flag puzzles in a timely fashion—that's for sure! By the time I've pulled up a list of nations' flags, I've already lost interest and cursed someone for not using standard letters at least three times.

Oh! k gots another one:

Int chk goes up. Huge draw. GM has to turn people away at cutoff. OOC opens and CS apps start coming in. Full roster yay!

...then like half the people that made charries up and ghost outta nowhere without even an opening post. like wtf. Then GM goes to bump/ask turnaways to join. Cricket-crickets. RP fails not even 10 posts in due to lack of enthusiasm by GM and RPers. Yeah. k wutevs. Sighsss... *Moves onto next int Chk and hopes the same damned pattern STOPS REPEATING* UGHS!!

Characters that are created by design NOT to get involved in plot.

Like. Why would you do that.

Characters that are created by design NOT to get involved in plot.

Like. Why would you do that.

I still remember someone who did this on purpose. They told me they specifically made characters that wouldn’t get involved in the plot and waited to see how long it would take their partner to call them out on it.

I couldn’t begin to tell you why they did that other than they got off on pissing other people off.

Fortunately I think most people don’t necessarily do it on purpose. They want to make a character that is interesting and they can’t think of a better way than to make the rest of the characters carry them through the plot.

It’s annoying but at least it’s not intended to be.

I hate when people completely disregard their character sheet once the rp starts.

I understand that it's insane to expect characters to match the description given in the character sheet 100%. But I'm talking about people who change core aspects of their characters as soon as the rp starts. Like, their character will be described as an loner who doesn't like the company of others on their character sheet but their first post is about said character cheerfully trying to pick up women.

Why even bother filling in a character sheet if you're just going to ignore it anyway?

As a GM, it's annoying when I present players with a reason for their PCs to be involved in the plot, and they choose to either disregard it entirely or do something that can be disruptive to the plot without first bringing it up to me. An example:

GM: The game starts with a huge party in the city in celebration of the birth of the King and Queen's first child. The day has been declared a holiday, and all in the kingdom are invited to attend the festivities.

Player 1: (PC) stands outside the city walls, a huge army behind him. The King had wronged him, and now (PC) seeks vengeance!

GM: Wait, you never mentioned this when you joined.

Player 2: (PC) woke up in the middle of a forest far from civilization. ... Hey, guys! I'm stuck in the RP because no one is with me and I can't do anything! GM, help!

GM: 😒

Biggest pet peeve right now:

Consistent days of plotting with a new potential partner. Everything is going great, nothing wrong, vibing. Start discussing characters, send over character sheets… everything is still great!

Then out of nowhere nothing. One day, two days, a week… nothing. Not a reaction, not a message, not even a “User has left the PM.” Just straight ignored me lol. Still very much so logging in to RPN. I hate it and I’m tired of it.

Haven't encountered this on this site yet (thankfully) but i have on other sites. I get so annoyed when people message me every. single. day. about the roleplay. I understand people get excited and stuff and I always try to be punctual, But I have a life outside of roleplay. just because I'm online doesn't mean i have the time to write a rp reply, hell i may not even be at the keyboard. I've accidentally left a tab open for an hour before but i wasnt even at the computer. An occasional bump is okay maybe one a week or something but not every single day

Lack of communication! In so many aspects, ghosting included. Even leaving the conversation is a form of communication that tells me the person is no longer interested so why they don't do at least that is beyond me.

I don't mind writing multiple paragraphs/novella type responses. That's not the issue. Sometimes I'm not even aware of how much I write until I'm finished. The problem is don't expect me to write those type of responses every. single. day. That will never happen. For me, longer responses take time and a good way to take me out of writing is to expect it every day.

Or.

My male character is expected to be a toxic, kidnapping, POS because that's what 'love' is all about.

When you're in a Fandom 1x1 roleplay and your actual OCs actions and attempts at an interaction are ignored in favor of turning the cannon characters attention completely on the others OC.
It's even more ridiculous when I'm trying to interact with their OC with mine, like I typically prefer original universe rps so maybe it's typical and I just don't have the experience to know better.
But please just- if you just wanted me to play Fandom characters you should have said so.

My actual peeves:
1. When people reduce a historical period down to its aesthetics.
2. Overly long roleplay titles.

This first one annoys me too. However, I think it mostly stems from people wanting to write in a specific time period, but not wanting to deal with any of the more problematic elements of said time period, such as racism or homophobia. I'd say at that point they might as well just create a fictional setting inspired by the real world time period they like the aesthetics of. In fact, creating a fictional setting is often easier since it involves far less research. Also, for those that don't want to deal with the typical historical attitudes towards things like homosexuality they can just remove those entirely.

... I don't like it when people start a search thread for a role play and say they are literate, yet don't use full sentences.
... And also when they refer to themself as "male" or "female". Instead of "man" or "woman". I don't know why this bothers me but it does.

There are some really good (bad?) peeves mentioned that I can definitely agree with.

The one I experienced recently that really got to me; try. If you're too exhausted from work and life to RP, don't agree to start one and then give nothing to work with.

I'm absolutely good with short posts and fast paced dialogue only, but when you're in the middle of a scene that needs description, put enough effort into it that can be worked with, or ask to put the RP on hold for a time.

... And also when they refer to themself as "male" or "female". Instead of "man" or "woman". I don't know why this bothers me but it does.
To add to this, I actually can't stand seeing someone put 'cis' before their gender most. It's unnecessary.

If you're going to ask for applications for a group RP, and say that you only want 100 words or less for character bio AND personality, and get mad when someone applies because they didn't give "enough detail", I think you might be the problem.

I do actually prefer when I don't have to fill out an entire character sheet for a roleplay. Especially when the groups I've joined are likely to never even get started. 100 words or less is not a lot of room to pitch a character. I'm essentially pitching an archetype and fleshing them out through writing.

"You didn't really give us enough detail." If you want more detail, you need to up your word count cap to 300 or less. And for anyone about to ask "That's where the character sheet comes in right?" The application was the character sheet.

I don't like when people use the word "literate" as a criterion. If you're illiterate, you can't participate in this hobby at all, by definition. Be honest, and say "you can't join this game unless your writing is pretentious enough to impress me" instead.

I don't like when people use the word "literate" as a criterion. If you're illiterate, you can't participate in this hobby at all, by definition. Be honest, and say "you can't join this game unless your writing is pretentious enough to impress me" instead.
i remember seeing this a lot on amino back in the day (like 2016) and my god, i hate it sooooo much.

None of my current partners do this, and I'm sure people have expressed similar sentiments up-thread, but my pet peeve is when I come up with a lot of ideas for the world we're going to rp in, and my partners respond very neutrally, but also don't suggest any ideas themselves. It's fine if they don't like my ideas or they want to do something differently! But if I just have no idea what's working for them and what's not, how can we plan together?

None of my current partners do this, and I'm sure people have expressed similar sentiments up-thread, but my pet peeve is when I come up with a lot of ideas for the world we're going to rp in, and my partners respond very neutrally, but also don't suggest any ideas themselves. It's fine if they don't like my ideas or they want to do something differently! But if I just have no idea what's working for them and what's not, how can we plan together?

I think of those people as “quiet ghosting” a roleplay. Where it’s clear they want to leave because they don’t actually like the roleplay but don’t have the ability to just say it outright.

So I usually make up an excuse and leave the roleplay myself. That way they don’t have to feel like the bad guy and I’m not wasting my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back