Other Random question of the day

Random question of the day:

Why were so many Flash games we used to play as kids filled with adult jokes that would completely go over our innocent heads?
I think because back in the early 2000s it was just a bunch of 4chan members and guys in their mid-20s making games they thought would be fun to share with their friends. Kids eventually found them and as they say "Game is Game!"

Is it possible to animate a whole episode of an animated series around a Skype conversation much like that one episode of Modern Family?

overpopulation. People wouldn't get enough food and would be hard to control. Regulations on birth would pop up and then we'd start killing babies

Is it possible to animate a whole episode of an animated series around a Skype conversation much like that one episode of Modern Family?
Probably! With shows like Rick and Morty and the amazing world of gumball (even though that isn't running anymore), I find it very easy to believe that they could come up with a good central plot while keeping it entertaining for the kids. I have a feeling that they might have to make it short because of the fact that it might get boring at some point but if you add in some wacky background shenanigans then it would be funny! Although in an adult show like Rick and Morty is where... ideas start to blossom on what could be on someones computer.....

No answers yesterday. What a shame.

What's worse? Underpopulation or overpopulation?
Both would be bad. But underpopulation would mean that pre-existing systems (and by that I most mean people-based infrastructure [so everything from the mail service to like farming]) would start failing because there aren't enough people to replace those who retire and/or die.

First, I would say it depends on degree. A certain degree (small to moderately large) of overpopulation is worse than underpopulation as it is a strain on resources and needs more extreme measures to fix than a similar degree of underpopulation. On other hand, I'd say extreme underpopulation is worse than extreme overpopulation, as not only do you start lacking goods and services not just on the proportion but also categorically (this is particularly true for anything specialized) and while the measures to fix extreme overpopulation are themselves quite extreme, they are ultimately far simpler than those to fix extreme underpopulation, which at a certain point may become outright impossible while the same can't be said for overpopulation.

That being said, one thing I need to note is that while it's not like overpopulation can't happen, historically predictions of overpopulation have proven over and over again to be wrong. Overpopulation predictions have this tendency to massively underestimate human progress and its ability to improve the efficiency with which we convert resources into what we need and what resources we can use in the first place. Indeed mathematically speaking a greater population corresponds to an absolute rise in the probability of great intellectuals, inventors and innovators, and creates greater incentives for them to pursue more specialized roles that make greater use of their talents. Thus humanity's ability to develop new ways to overcome issues of overpopulation rises with its population.

Lastly it appears that birth rates are lowering across the globe, to the point that among many demographics in America and Europe are below replacement rate. Is this a temporary phase born of our current culture that will blow over in a couple generations? Is this a sign of some great issue to come as a society already struggling to keep up its pyramid-scheme-like social programs faces a historical decline in population? Is this a natural, biological, psychological or sociological mechanism to control population? It's likely too soon to tell which ideas about it hold more weight, but it might be worth considering.

Is any resentment we hold towards media executives for poor/dumb decisions made regarding pieces of media justified or should we try to let it go and move on?

Is any resentment we hold towards media executives for poor/dumb decisions made regarding pieces of media justified or should we try to let it go and move on?

I don’t think we should hold resentment towards them, not unless there is something beyond incompetence at play in those decisions.

That being said, to respond to malpractice through what you decided to pursue is a key tenet of markets and of just common sense avoidance of things we don’t want. You don’t need to hold a grudge against a restaurant for persistently making terrible meals, but it’s good to remember that’s how they operate when you’re picking where to eat.

In media in particular it should also be noted that many appear to be outright trying to get you to hold a grudge so you’ll hate-watch the thing. It’s a short-term strategy (because eventually audiences just turn apathetic to them) but it still can give those short-term boosts.

No answers to yesterday's question. What a shame.

Was John Marston from the Red Dead Redemption games a bad person or at worst a flawed person doing his best?

Some butterfly effect shit because they're bound to make a mistake or a slip up, like speak/write perfect English accidentally in ancient Greece.

Theories on this subject can be broadly divided into two categories. Category A basically is like DragonSlayer57 DragonSlayer57 said, time travelers can and do change the past creating some kind of effect. These usually come with some kind of paradox-preventing mechanism, most commonly the creation of a new universe upon time traveling. Category B though says that if it is at all possible to travel through time and interfere with time, that interference is either entirely inconsequential (maybe you carved something in a stone that gets grounded to dust regardless) is somehow causes the very events, meaning it was always part of the original causality (which itself is a paradox). In other words under B time is essentially fixed.

One idea I've come up with that I've wanted to explore in my own stuff is time travel by recreation, basically time travel itself isn't possible, but attempts to do so essentially recreate the universe as it was before, transforming everything into a carbon copy of the past outside of the time traveler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back