Other Random question of the day

Probably sounded better than just 'Hen', so people rolled with it.

How is it that Hank can be short for Henry?

Probably the same way 'Peggy' can be short for 'Margaret' and 'Richard' can be shortened to 'Dick' ;P

According to Google, a Smurf is roughly three inches tall while ceilings are around 96 inches tall. Based on the math, the answer would be roughly in the 32 range.

Random question of the day:

What's your favorite banned book?
pretty much every book I read has been banned (all enlightenment lit, most political texts from before the 1960-s when the catholic church just gave up banning books, books about queer people, by queer people, for queer people, books about our society and the flaws in it, the bible), Les Miserables was on the Church's No No List for a while, and I do love Hugo.

Despite her moral conundrum regarding the matter, is it true that the Gaang would have gotten things done quicker if Katara knew how to bloodbend from the beginning in Avatar: The Last Airbender?

I’d say it’s a matter of framing. They are good role models (well, depending on the movie I suppose) if you look at the spirit of what they are doing rather than taking a more face-value literal approach to each action. I think while adults have grown more cynical and aware of various tropes and narrative aspects, and live in an era where subversion is taken as something meritorious in of itself, the almost mythological portrayal in most classics does enable this intuitive understanding to look at what’s behind the action rather than the action itself. A child may not be able to put into words or fully grasp what they are seeing, but they do understand at some level that it’s not about fighting the dragon but the act of bravery. That the turtle and the hare is not about animal racing it’s about continuing to go rather than being lazy. They look at. Cinderella as the idea that they too can hope for better things in life, and sneer at the jealousy of the evil queen in Snow White while cheering her kindness to the dwarves.

I think beyond that it’s the role of parents and educators to help children make that initial understanding into something more firm and concrete. To help turn that feeling they can’t fully define into something they can put to words and hopefully a principle to follow - At least until life confronts them with greater need for nuance.

Is it true that when media companies weren't actively focusing on diversity, any diversity they included into their products felt more genuine?

Wizards or fairies?
Fairies! While I do love me some wizard stuff, the concept of Fairies are so cool! and they can be interpreted in countless different ways! just little human looking things with wings, little lights, or something else entirely? leaves some more to imagination. also the myth and folklore about them! "Dont tell Faeries your name!" "Faeries are souls of lost children!" etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back