Out of Character Trash Here

Might I just say, I am astounded by that opening letter. The names and subjects feel straight out of the Potterverse but are just different enough to account for the difference in culture. (Although the lack of Native American or Hispanic names is a little suspect since Rowling herself accounted for that.)

Which does lead me to a slight concern in that "August Jacobee" kind of pails in comparison to the listed names in the character page. Is that an okay name or would someone be willing to offer some assistance for character?

Actually, that's a perfectly American name. There's like, four of them at my Indiana-n RL school. And the surname is fine, sounds very Britsh-hued. :D

My Irish-flavored character (Brisrad the headmaster) was just trying to point/give a nod to the original Irish beginnings of Ilvermorny. 

Actually, that's a perfectly American name. There's like, four of them at my Indiana-n RL school. And the surname is fine, sounds very Britsh-hued. :D

My Irish-flavored character (Brisrad the headmaster) was just trying to point/give a nod to the original Irish beginnings of Ilvermorny. 

Actually Irish flavored would be more accurate for me since I'm of Irish-German descent. And August is a bit of a recycled name for me since that's the month I was born. Any suggestions for a more Irish sounding last name off the top of your head?

Actually Irish flavored would be more accurate for me since I'm of Irish-German descent. And August is a bit of a recycled name for me since that's the month I was born. Any suggestions for a more Irish sounding last name off the top of your head?

hMMM.

Beacon - small

Baine - Bainbridge 

Calhoun - narrow woods

Conan - Brave/exalted

Daegan - black-haired

Darian - great

Dolan - dark-haired

Donovan - Dark

Evan - young warrior 

Finn - blonde haired & light skinned

Galen - little & lively 

Galvin - sparrow

Garrett - brave spearman 

Kenneth - handsome

Liam - protection 

Lucas - light

Malachi - angel of God/ or of God

Manic - monk

Michael - He who is like god

Niall - champion

Owen - Born to nobility/ young warrior

Pearce - Rock

Ronan - Seal

Ryan - little king

Tain - stream 

Teague - bard/poet

Torin - chief

Trevor - prudent

Troy - foor soldier

Owain- young warrior

William - determined defense

Here's some of my personal favorites :D

hMMM.

Beacon - small

Baine - Bainbridge 

Calhoun - narrow woods

Conan - Brave/exalted

Daegan - black-haired

Darian - great

Dolan - dark-haired

Donovan - Dark

Evan - young warrior 

Finn - blonde haired & light skinned

Galen - little & lively 

Galvin - sparrow

Garrett - brave spearman 

Kenneth - handsome

Liam - protection 

Lucas - light

Malachi - angel of God/ or of God

Manic - monk

Michael - He who is like god

Niall - champion

Owen - Born to nobility/ young warrior

Pearce - Rock

Ronan - Seal

Ryan - little king

Tain - stream 

Teague - bard/poet

Torin - chief

Trevor - prudent

Troy - foor soldier

Owain- young warrior

William - determined defense

Here's some of my personal favorites :D

I was referring to surnames but okay then. Actually I am busy for the moment but I will get back to you. I like the energy I'm seeing.

So when roleplay begins are we going to start as the Harry Potter movies did? Like where the kids are at home and get the letters and go from there?

So when roleplay begins are we going to start as the Harry Potter movies did? Like where the kids are at home and get the letters and go from there?

Yes, the intro posts will be the character receiving the letter and the general home environment of the student reflecting on his or her behavior so we can understand where they are coming from. 

The second half would be the student arriving at Ilvermorny and then being directed to the Feast hall for the opening ceremonies ^^ 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the intro posts will be the character receiving the letter and the general home environment of the student reflecting on his or her behavior so we can understand where they are coming from. 

The second half would be the student arriving at Ilvermorny and then being directed to the Feast hall for the opening ceremonies ^^ 

Can I suggest maybe a few things for the school's interior since we don't really have a source on that yet?

Important message for you btw solis, but anyway I'm actually really excited for this haha and I agree what's the looks of everything haha

Can I suggest maybe a few things for the school's interior since we don't really have a source on that yet?

Of course <3

I was originally going to go with a layout similar to Hogwarts, as the castle Ilvermorny from our map picture (also acting as our background for our logo), it seemed to have that sort of feel and reminded me strongly of the film adaptations. 

Of course <3

I was originally going to go with a layout similar to Hogwarts, as the castle Ilvermorny from our map picture (also acting as our background for our logo), it seemed to have that sort of feel and reminded me strongly of the film adaptations. 

Well I have a 1x1 RP with a Hogwarts transfer student and I got a little creative with the school's interior. By all means keep the layout, this is purely aesthetic ideas.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

He led her down the marble hall, down a path seperate from the other first years. The archways to the central chamber had Greek styled columns supporting the ceiling, said ceiling was filled with symbols of stars and ocean waves dancing, swaying, twinkling, and swirling. Unlike Hogwarts though, this wasn't a reflection of the sky, as if the fact that it was still day out and there were ocean waves up there wasn't enough to indicate that, but an stylistic enchantment. Overall the interior of the school gave off a neo-classical/Greco-Roman feel rather than the more gothic/neo-medieval Hogwarts.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

The entrance was a mural depicting a Wampanoag and European settler wizard magically growing corn one on each side of the cornfield making up the majority of the mural. August pulled something from his robe, a charm in the shape of the Thunderbird house symbol. He placed it on the mural and pushed his arm through the stone like the stalks were actual stalks. He offered his hand so she could take it.

Passing through would be like walking between some heavy curtains. On the other side the dorm room resembled a kind of  explorer's cabin, with a large fire pit roaring in the center of the room and with tall windows overlooking the landscape. Some maps of the wizarding world, a globe, and a telescope also hammered in the wayfinder theme. It was not without creature comforts though, as mentioned the large fire pit was roaring, some Thunderbird students already roasting marshmallows and munching on s'mores. (Which was especially fun with mallow-cream. A container that looked like a no-maj shaving cream squirting magically forming marshmallows on to graham crackers or sticks or hands. Of any size as well depending how long one held down the sprayer for.) There was a bookshelf next to the telescope and globe and the boys and girls bedrooms were on either side of the dorm.

"Welcome to your temporary home." August said.

(Tried to keep the Harry Potter feel as well as the source material from Pottermore while being distinctly of the United States wizarding world.)

Whens the RP starting?

Well, there's like, 12 members - Daaaaayyummmm son - so basically whenever everyone gets their character sheets up

Though I'll do a roll call in a bit. Imma go eat supper now, so k bye bye see you in like a half hour or so

Well, there's like, 12 members - Daaaaayyummmm son - so basically whenever everyone gets their character sheets up

Though I'll do a roll call in a bit. Imma go eat supper now, so k bye bye see you in like a half hour or so

If you need to trim some hedges, I could opt out. Be just a creative consultant.

So do you think that the professors will have anything to do with the plot or will they just be there for the classes?

So do you think that the professors will have anything to do with the plot or will they just be there for the classes?

The teachers will have a legitimate role, however, no one knows what the teachers are doing- aside from things in class. Probably grading with magic, get it all finished, and then go play with three-headed cerberus in the basement. 

But for real, as the only view we get from sort of an adult's point of view is from Harry in the Cursed Child performance/book. 

So, you may proceed with this however you like until we figure out a good rhythm, is this okay? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back