• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom OOC for Earth 17371

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
hmmm not sure if i should say i am currently vibranium or pretend i am in a different area

This is what all the chatter is about, right? Voyager?

Previous portals were like the sling ring and bifrost portals where they could cut people's limbs off by closing them?

more these portals could destabilize reality and store energy from said reality to the point it was fucking with the realm of the one above all

Just a quick side note because I saw this when I was looking for character art:
two-girls-aikido-training-knife-practice-work-74551193.jpg

For all you martial artists out there (I don't practice Aikido), wTF IS THIS ACTUALLY A THING??? Is there a reasonable explanation to use both hands to grab the elbow?? I practice Kali, and I don't see any reason why the knife wielder can't just use her other hand to parry those wrists right off.
There a few variants of this technique. One where you cross your wrist to catch the the blade hand. But yes I am very familiar with the technique.

There a few variants of this technique. One where you cross your wrist to catch the the blade hand. But yes I am very familiar with the technique.
Lol the cross handed block is our fundamental defense in Kali when it comes to normal grip slashes (ice pick grips are more sus cuz of how easy it is to get the wrists cut, outside pass is better). But where are you supposed to go after an elbow catch?? It looks risky AS F. If they just pull their arm back in the cut, rip your hands and forearms. You could try sliding up to a wrist lock, but and what's stopping them from pushing your wrists off with the offhand??? You're still on the inside too!!!

Last edited:
Lol the cross handed block is our fundamental defense in Kali when it comes to normal grip slashes (ice pick grips are more sus cuz of how easy it is to get the wrists cut, outside pass is better). But where are you supposed to go after an elbow catch?? It looks risky AS F. If they just pull their arm back in the cut, rip your hands and forearms, and what's stopping them from pushing your wrists off with the offhand???
I did karate for a number of years. You literally don't stop in the middle of a block. You could easily turn into them and grab the arm and flip them hold the arm in place.

I did karate for a number of years. You literally don't stop in the middle of a block. You could easily turn into them and grab the arm and flip them hold the arm in place.
I think you just described an armbar, but I still don't see what's stopping the person from parrying your block before you can get the throw. It's not impossible but... eh, I think I just disagree with using both hands straight away because of how dangerous it is if you miss (difference in styles).

I think you just described an armbar, but I still don't see what's stopping the person from parrying your block before you can get the throw. It's not impossible but... eh, I think I just disagree with using both hands straight away because of how dangerous it is if you miss (difference in styles).

Aikido uses the idea of the dynamic circle, carrying the momentum of incoming attacks through your space to use it against your attacker. You would never block and pause, you transition right from block to throw/flip/pin. The idea is that you turn their own movements against them before they can rebalance, robbing any secondary hit of striking power.

EDIT: ... I think that's what Mr. Segal says, anyway.

Aikido uses the idea of the dynamic circle, carrying the momentum of incoming attacks through your space to use it against your attacker. You would never block and pause, you transition right from block to throw/flip/pin.
Ok, but the other guy isn't just gonna stare wide-eyed as you catch his knife arm (if trained, and the only good techniques are the ones that also work against trained people imo) when he has an offhand that can work in tandem with his blade. If someone did it to me, I would literally just push the other person's wrists and bring my knife arm down. Even if they hold onto my forearm, I can still switch hands and cut at whichever wrist is closest to me. Personally, I don't wrestle with people who use knives. I'll guide the knife down to their leg by keeping constant pressure on their wrist, I'll get a lock with the blade tip pointed at them and use my body weight to push it in, I'll get on the outside so I can push their face up and hyperextend their elbow, but going to the floor? I just don't see how it's a feasible self defense technique if they teach it as one outside of competition. They could have friends around, if you mess up with an elbow catch then your chances of being screwed are much higher because both wrists (or at least forearms) are in line with the blade, and a throw involves a few motions where they still have the knife in their hand. I just don't see it, really. In competition, fine, but I assume that there's a reason I've never seen this in Kali or IDF school.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back