OOC Chat

ok, let me make one thing clear.

If you´re gonna dictate something about what other people can do, it´s basic courtesy you either do it from the beginning or stay silent forever. As it stands, this is just dictatorship and if it was not for the fact that I´ve already spent what....two weeks? Three weeks? Working on the character , it´s something I could easily leave the roleplay over. Because, where does it stop? Let me make this straight, you CAN`T balance power levels if the abilities aren´t roughly the same thing. It´s just not possible. The most you can do is assure everyone fills a role in the group, rather than two people doing the same thing. So, if you´re gonna force us to change the powers now over an unnacomplishable goal like that, what´s stopping you from dictating half our actions later in the RP without even giving us a reason?

And this is not to mention how demoralizing it is to have people change their CSs even BEFORE accepting them (I know by experience that a lot of my roleplays fall to this), but AFTER their accepted? It can really break the confidence in a GM, so it better be done in a (excuse the language) f***king emergency, only.

I know I can be a rather confrontational person and one that will speak up about the things I find wrong or unfair. So, I get the temptation to ignore what´s here or to just outright tell me to shut up (whether or not you´re do this is not what I´m saying, just that it may be tempting to). But I´m BEGGING you to take my words, whichever they may be, into account. Because I love this roleplay. I love the effort that was put into it, the consistent of the magic system, the lore, the journals, the characters! It´s truly impressive. So I would hate to see it go down for what I see is your most common mistake, a lack of consideration for the ramifications of your individual actions.

Read the announcement and everything that I said in the last post again. Nowhere did we say to change any powers, you can keep the powers, you can keep how they function. Reading the announcement will give you the specifics, but basically everyone starts out with a weaker version of a greater power. This is not new, this was in the lore, this was not something that we just made up because we love watching you guys suffer, it's just something that we realized was enforced differently for different people, and therefore needs to be leveled out all together.
The only things we made people change about their CSs before they were accepted was that we anted to make sure that everyone followed the announcement thread and read the rules (because we wanted to make sure everyone knew what we expected), and we wanted everyone to have a completely filled out, no-wip CS, which is standard for every roleplay(? I've never heard of an RP that accepted characters without a completed CS, I don't even know how that would work)

Also (this is in bigger font bc it's directed at everyone) don't stress about the science bit. We aren't physicists, we're not scientists, this isn't a scientific journal, don't stress about the powers. Just come up with something with the barest modicum of sciencey legit-ness.

got nothing? as in you didn´t have time to type or you didn´t have time to come up with anything? Maybe I can help, in the latter case?

I have an idea, really serious fire sniper type, (basically his power will be to strike foes with tiny meteors and great accuracy.) 

i just haven't had a lot of time. I'll try and get him up by tomorrow. 

I have an idea, really serious fire sniper type, (basically his power will be to strike foes with tiny meteors and great accuracy.) 

i just haven't had a lot of time. I'll try and get him up by tomorrow. 

I like this. I was wondering how you could pull a hunter character since there's already someone with a bow.

Don't make him a blond pretty boy from Europe we have four of them already we are reaching critical bishounen levels

It was always BS science based, it just may not have been very clear before. We don't need people to fundamentally change their abilities, but they need to fit the new bit in the powers section of the CS. As it stands now, everyone's powers are kind of all over the place and it'll make things more complicated later if we don't iron it out before we start. Like comparing the stuff we accepted near the beginning to the stuff we've accepted now it became clear that the abilities didn't really match up in terms of how powerful they are and how the'll grow over time and we just want people's abilities to be on the same level of effectiveness. Also it won't work plot-wise if its just inexplainable magic. We're nowhere near physicists so just like... make some shit up that sounds like it might be alien tech :P

First off sorry the trouble earlier. I was having a freak out over the powers. :$

Secondly I did edit the cs...I think I did it right. o.O

Thirdly I wanted to know if I could make a villain. :HornsPursedLips:

Don't make him a blond pretty boy from Europe we have four of them already we are reaching critical bishounen levels

I may or may not have spit out my drink reading this and imagining a Star Trek-like situation where someone is like, "Captain, we're reaching critical bishounen levels. The engines can't take much more.  Danger, danger!"

First off sorry the trouble earlier. I was having a freak out over the powers. :$

Secondly I did edit the cs...I think I did it right. o.O

Thirdly I wanted to know if I could make a villain. :HornsPursedLips:

I think you can make a villan, I mean I did. Though, piece of advise, you will want to make the "monster of the week" style of villan. Most likely. 

Read the announcement and everything that I said in the last post again. Nowhere did we say to change any powers, you can keep the powers, you can keep how they function. Reading the announcement will give you the specifics, but basically everyone starts out with a weaker version of a greater power. This is not new, this was in the lore, this was not something that we just made up because we love watching you guys suffer, it's just something that we realized was enforced differently for different people, and therefore needs to be leveled out all together.
The only things we made people change about their CSs before they were accepted was that we anted to make sure that everyone followed the announcement thread and read the rules (because we wanted to make sure everyone knew what we expected), and we wanted everyone to have a completely filled out, no-wip CS, which is standard for every roleplay(? I've never heard of an RP that accepted characters without a completed CS, I don't even know how that would work)

Also (this is in bigger font bc it's directed at everyone) don't stress about the science bit. We aren't physicists, we're not scientists, this isn't a scientific journal, don't stress about the powers. Just come up with something with the barest modicum of sciencey legit-ness.

yeah, you did state everyone starts with a weaker power that grows later on. The power we have now is much weaker than anything we´ll be able to accomplish in the future. The thing you didn´t explain, and that at least appears to be implied in the following:

The problem now is that people seem to be distributed all over this scale, with some having highly controlled, isolated powers and others having broad highly adaptable powers. Though we tried to put increased limitations on some in an attempt to equalize...ultimately we feel that it's better if everyone could modify their power to be on the same starting level in this chart. We are updating the CS (yes, again ;;;; ) to reflect this fact and more visibly breakdown all the aspects of these 'special' powers.

Is that the power on the CS is not our starting power, but our final power and that we need to change it now to accommodate being.

Unless I somehow misunderstood that, in which case I apologize, but the way you worded it in the announcement was quite misleading.

I think you can make a villan, I mean I did. Though, piece of advise, you will want to make the "monster of the week" style of villan. Most likely. 

monster of the week? haha I hope not want her to be a actual villain not some monster of the week. But well I'll just make the character and just see what happens.

Tfw you finish a ginormous outline of your character's power and it's different stages, only to find out that your internet went out right before you submitted the post, and you don't know how much of it was saved before the internet went out <<<<<<<<<<<

IMG_5435.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
monster of the week? haha I hope not want her to be a actual villain not some monster of the week. But well I'll just make the character and just see what happens.

Most villains, other than Oppicus will be monsters do the week. I did make one that wasn't but that means I'll have to wait until the whole first few arcs are over until I can actually introduce the character. 

@Idea 

The problem now is that people seem to be distributed all over this scale, with some having highly controlled, isolated powers and others having broad highly adaptable powers. Though we tried to put increased limitations on some in an attempt to equalize...ultimately we feel that it's better if everyone could modify their power to be on the same starting level in this chart. We are updating the CS (yes, again ;;;; ) to reflect this fact and more visibly breakdown all the aspects of these 'special' powers.

"modify their power to be on the same starting level" means the power should be modified to be at the starting level : P

Last edited by a moderator:
@Idea 

"modify their power to be on the same starting level" means the power should be modified to be at the starting level : P

So....the powers do need to be changed? What do you mean by "starting level" exactly (since I'm assuming by your previous responses that it has little to do with what I think it means)

So....the powers do need to be changed? What do you mean by "starting level" exactly (since I'm assuming by your previous responses that it has little to do with what I think it means)

Like I said before, the way they work doesn't need to be changed, but they have to be weakened so they can get stronger later. Just whatever seems reasonable for a 5-6 turn battle since that's what we'll be starting out with. The announcement also points you to an example. 

Like I said before, the way they work doesn't need to be changed, but they have to be weakened so they can get stronger later. Just whatever seems reasonable for a 5-6 turn battle since that's what we'll be starting out with. The announcement also points you to an example. 

That's what I was saying though: my ability was already, in my view, wired to be the starting out ability

ok, let me make one thing clear.

If you´re gonna dictate something about what other people can do, it´s basic courtesy you either do it from the beginning or stay silent forever. As it stands, this is just dictatorship and if it was not for the fact that I´ve already spent what....two weeks? Three weeks? Working on the character , it´s something I could easily leave the roleplay over. Because, where does it stop? Let me make this straight, you CAN`T balance power levels if the abilities aren´t roughly the same thing. It´s just not possible. The most you can do is assure everyone fills a role in the group, rather than two people doing the same thing. So, if you´re gonna force us to change the powers now over an unnacomplishable goal like that, what´s stopping you from dictating half our actions later in the RP without even giving us a reason?

And this is not to mention how demoralizing it is to have people change their CSs even BEFORE accepting them (I know by experience that a lot of my roleplays fall to this), but AFTER their accepted? It can really break the confidence in a GM, so it better be done in a (excuse the language) f***king emergency, only.

I know I can be a rather confrontational person and one that will speak up about the things I find wrong or unfair. So, I get the temptation to ignore what´s here or to just outright tell me to shut up (whether or not you´re do this is not what I´m saying, just that it may be tempting to). But I´m BEGGING you to take my words, whichever they may be, into account. Because I love this roleplay. I love the effort that was put into it, the consistent of the magic system, the lore, the journals, the characters! It´s truly impressive. So I would hate to see it go down for what I see is your most common mistake, a lack of consideration for the ramifications of your individual actions.

Okay to be honest I'm not 100% sure what your complaint here is, but I'll throw out my two cents.
Just because you're used to thinking of RP in a certain way doesn't mean that's the way it works for this RP. Relationships, characters, powers...they all matter in a big way. Everything will be changing and growing over time. Your CS is a fluid collaborative work to track your character's and the RP's progress. This is why we say this is a 'Detailed' RP. Because yeah, there is extra work involved in reading and writing and developing your character. We defined Detailed to be not about the length of posts but about the work you put into the RP. We made every point to be as clear about this as possible, even including a whole page for it in the Rules. If this is not the right RP for you, you are free to leave at any time with no hard feelings. 

On the other hand, there has been some confusion over the fact that this RP has been in development since I first put up the Interest Check. I didn't want to spend a lot of time working on something no one was interested in. It was just an idea I had that sounded fun at the time. So yeah, there have been kinks to work out along the way. But that's why we have a community where everyone has always had the ability to add input and have their ideas be incorporated. Of course, as we have been working behind the scenes to fill out the plot / lore, the chances for outside player input have begun to diminish. But coming up with a solidified plan was necessary otherwise we would have no direction for the course of the RP.  Also the GMs themselves have not been immune to this fluid nature of the RP, and have had to make the same exact changes and updates as everyone else.

Another source of confusion is the fact that this RP has mystery elements. This is my personal choice because I think starting out clueless is a fun way to be engaged with the RP and those types of RPs are my personal favorite. Like your character, you are practically in the dark and have to discover things for yourself. However, implementing this full stop is impractical for an RP of this nature so of course we've had to reveal some things your character won't automatically know. Because of the need to retain secrecy some ideas might not have come out as clearly the first time, because I'm writing from a place of knowledge to people who shouldn't have that knowledge. Not to mention there have been multiple times where people have read something and then they all interpret differently. In these instances I have done my best to clear things up; that's the main point of recent Announcements. It's not that things are being changed, it's that they were interpreted falsely and got to the point where it seemed like it would be a problem in the RP.

You may think that we just post a bunch of shit because we have no idea what we're doing or want to torture you guys or belittle you or whatever but that is not the case at all. We spend hours on the phone talking about everything for the RP before it's finalized. LITERALLY HOURS of planning has gone into this RP since I first put up the Interest Check. Not to minimize anyone else's participation (because it really has been amazing to see the characters grow and the way you guys have responded to the journals and the updates) but we have spent just as much time working on our own characters as well as thinking about everything else for the RP. And as GMs we make decisions looking at the bigger picture, so while something might not seem fair to someone at the moment, we definitely have our reasons for it which are determined by the underlying logic of the RP that perhaps you just don't understand yet. 
So far the only instances in which we have asked for someone to change something is because it A) Directly conflicts with the written lore (outside of the villains I cannot think of a single case where something was asked to be changed because of "unexplained reasons" or unwritten Lore, and even in the case of the villains we made it clear that the more plot-important ones would come in later precisely so you guys wouldn't have to change much). B) Directly conflicts with someone else's character (if two characters have the same personality / abilities / ect.). Or C) Directly breaks a rule of the RP. We are very open about our reasoning and can readily explain and defend any decision we have made thus far should anyone ever require it.

And while we would never tell a player to just 'shut up' and we do take everything to heart, I will admit it is a bit frustrating to be torn down after every single update when the answer almost always lies in a simple misunderstanding or not reading things through clearly. This RP is supposed to be fun for everyone, including the GMs who are both doing their best. Flipping @wizard nibblers, this RP wasn't even her idea at all, and yet she has graciously been here to help me organize it and come up with ideas because of my busy schedule.

Calling this a 'dictatorship' is harsh and honestly a bit hurtful given how much care we put into making this an RP where everyone has a voice.
If this RP has stopped being fun or engaging for anyone there is nothing forcing them to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back