Naruto - Back to Basics - OOC

And due to the nigh-unanimous agreement. I will put up another sub-section for feedback and playtesting.

Character gen

Not much needs to said about char gen other than like 3 things

1. Char gen is pretty much unchanged in its steps and stuff
  2. Only things changed would be archetypes since some don't really mesh; which doesn't mean you can't take their associated secret art save the priest one and maybe scholar. Also chi and the elemental flavors are gonna have their prices rejiggered so that elemental chis are a bit easier to get.
  3. Hold off on char gen until I got the above done. And then if you need it Ill help with char gen and also the creation of custom loresheets

Secret arts

Secret arts are one the most difficult concepts to get. If only because of the sudden exposition of taoist mysticism and the elemental wheel. But basically all it is a system for buffs/debuffs tied to the theme of the Secret art.The discovery roll is rather meta in that you make like an justification and then receive from me a difficulty rating, and then you make the skill check and if successful the condition is created.

You also have several options pertaining to the afflictions you can inflict. First off is the ability to soothe/inflame conditions which either increases or lowers the penalty or bonus being affected.

elemental progression technique which is weird and I'm just gonna eyeball, but mechanically it just changes the non-mechanical nature of the condition.

Then you got Internal-External technique which is liked the book said really more of the Priest's thing which uses an existing condition to make a new condition.

Then you got paired condition which is similar to the above but it creates TWO new! condition one penalty and one bonus. You pick one and I do the other and together create a sort If then statement with the bonus/penalty

Then you got Yin-Yang technique which reverses a condition into its opposite so Penalty to Bonus or Bonus to Penalty.

Okay so char gen stuff!

Yeah you just get a free 2 points of elemental chi that act as your "potential" when you get around to learning your elemental release in-game. Disregard the increasing cost multiplier for opposing elements should you acquire another element later.

Vanilla Chi is gonna cost the same since it's gonna be the bulk energy for most of your stuff and too much adds to your threshold making you pretty tanky.

Anyway in regards to archetypes Im thinking you can choose: Warrior, Courtier, and Doctor. Iffy on scholar cuz of their prediction gimmick being an oddity and Priest is weird with their curses and stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you read the secret arts of Scholar and priest. You'd know that scholar makes predictions which are a bit odd but not terribly out of place. Compared to priests which make curses and influences which vaguely are vaguely supernatural and very much steeped in mysticism.

However if you can tell me how that would fit with your ninja dude I'd allow it.

Also I changed the Burn energy effect to: Burn attacks no longer penalize an opponent's Toughness. Instead they boil away and dry up an opponent's River. Or in other words it's like freeze but it causes action penalties instead of breath penalties

Character gen now open. Ask for help if you need it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for Priest, you could possibly say it's some sorta Genjutsu, as I'd see it. Though it would require tweaks and such yes.

And interesting change to Burn.

Well I already made Genjutsu as its own highly compacted Secret Art.

Plus unlike other SA's it can only do penalties

Also burn kinda sucks since toughness is one of the weaker stats and also making Burn the action penalty version of freezing keeps it inline mechanically. As shock is the action penalty version of poison

No not yet! I haven't even looked at the updated sheet yet e.e But once I do, I should be able to handle it

Looks alright.

All that it needs as a finishing touch is the distribution of your free 3 Joss points into whatever you like

The destiny portion. I get the modifiers and all that to the dice rolls. But I'm missing how to actually start picking and choosing what I want

I can explain that okay so you get 20 kungfu bux to buy various stuff.

However before getting to that let's talk about your freebies. First you get to pick an external and then you record it's stat block, then you get a free internal which nets you the first level technique for free.

Then don't forget about your free weapon of choice which if you want can be made special and therby combine two tags for like 2 destiny I believe. And also you get a free light armor which can be upgraded if you wanted to.

Also I hope you remembered about the free 2 points of elemental chi of your choice.

Anyway once done with that you can spend your 20 kung-fu bux on Kung-fu obviously furthering your list of internal techniques or buying techniques in your external which upgrade the stats and grants abilities.

Also you can buy into lores and custom stuff should be asked to me but you could buy into other stuff like the generic friends,family, and love interests which are in the book. Or you can use destiny to buy up skills and secret arts related stuff.

There's a chart of costs on page 25 on the book

Page 25?? You know what it is. I've been looking at your notes the whole time. I actually can't open the link to the Rulebook -.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back