Keychain of Creation

Just to add fuel to the fire, I'm getting the same problem. However, if I hit the 'Back' link and then, from there, hit the 'Forward' link, then everything's hunky dory. At least with the comic. And when I return (like I just did), it doesn't have that problem. The links at the top of the page, though, don't work for me. No Archives, no Links, No Extras, no nothin'. Just so you know......

I also don't get any links from the image map. The map is in the html, but doesn't seem to want to transfer to the document.

When I view the source I see the image tag Flagg gave above, but when I look at the properties the image's url is just "http://keychain.patternspider.net/".

I noticed this block in the source, which looks very suspicious:

<!--[if lt IE 7.]>
<script defer type="text/javascript" src="pngfix.js"></script>

<![endif]-->
Not sure what phgfix.js does, but since the image is a png and the problem is happening with browsers older than IE 7, that's probably the problem.

That script is the thing that allows Internet Explorer to render png transparency. Without it, the comic and the logo would have white behind them.

Aaoooww, I dun wanna have to fix them! >.<

Rrgh. Maybe I'll switch the logo to a different file type. That might fix the links, at least. I still have no idea about the comic's problem, though.

Just to report, I'm an Opera fanboy (all bow to the superior browser) and I never notice any problem while using it.

Jukashi said:
That script is the thing that allows Internet Explorer to render png transparency. Without it, the comic and the logo would have white behind them.
Why not use gifs?

Jukashi said:
That script is the thing that allows Internet Explorer to render png transparency. Without it' date=' the comic and the logo would have white behind them.[/quote']
Why not use gifs?
Because if I use gifs, then on big, colourful comics (like comic 5), some colours will come out either wrong or grainy. Additionally, pngs are smaller in file size.

Jukashi said:
Jukashi said:
That script is the thing that allows Internet Explorer to render png transparency. Without it' date=' the comic and the logo would have white behind them.[/quote']
Why not use gifs?
Because if I use gifs, then on big, colourful comics (like comic 5), some colours will come out either wrong or grainy.
True, I didn't know what sort of pallette you were using.

Additionally, pngs are smaller in file size.
They are? Every png I've ever saved was larger than the equivilent gif, sometimes by a large margin. I haven't fiddled with it recently, though. What editor do you use?

Well, as your site uses no bg image, you could just use jpegs with the background the color of your page.

They are? Every png I've ever saved was larger than the equivilent gif' date=' sometimes by a large margin. I haven't fiddled with it recently, though. What editor do you use?[/quote']
I use the automatic Save to Web option on my graphics programs.

Arthur said:
Well, as your site uses no bg image, you could just use jpegs with the background the color of your page.
The gold stuff is an image, actually.

Oh, indeed, I wasn't looking at the site when I wrote that and I thought the bg for the hq pages was that green thing in the back.

Basically, all of these problems boil down to the fact that IE <7.0 is a total piece of crap that doesn't conform to standards. IE 7+ may well be a steaming turd-pile too, but I don't have enough info to say that definitively.

I know "don't use IE" is not really an acceptable answer in this case, unfortunately, but it is good advice. There are free browsers which are widely regarded as superior.

If anyone can find a fix (similar to the pngfix.js fix that we had to implement), please let me or Jukashi know -- but these should really be regarded as IE bugs, not the fault of the keychain page code.

MSN 9.5 (and earlier variants) depend on the IE on the computer... so it should count as IE (whatever). The firefox portable 2.0 IS worrying.

It looks like we are getting ready for one hell of a catfight between Secret and Marina!  Hehehe!

I haven't had any problems with seeing it.

Also, I say that Secret's underwear was a thong.  Black thong.  With skull lace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back