• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

In the Dojo (O.O.C. Chat - Session Zero)

Would it be (in my case) only be able to communicate with elephants, or all animals?

Also, I am thinking of dropping my Thick Skin mutation for the +25 SDC to go with Full Human Speech. If I’m trying to impersonate a voice on the phone, having the full speech advantage is a good thing.
All animals. But not insects/arachnids etc. Sherwood Sherwood

As I think about it, I’m posting more about the language and communication thing. I would say it should be species specific. Why would I be able to speak to a dog, or a rabbit?
Because I'm the GM and I said so. Just Kidding! That's not exactly an argument, is it? =)

Spoken language is a human invention. Animals don't use spoken language unless taught by humans (like Koko the gorilla).

Instead, animals communicate via what we call body language. They also use sounds which indicate tone and emotion, and depending on the species, smell - this is why dogs sniff butts (dogs can learn your general health and emotional state with a single sniff). That's just for starters.

They, like we, are all connected. Take three different animals from three different parts of the world and I think chances are good they can basically figure out each other's emotional states, and if they are a threat to each other, or if they're friendly. This is communication.

Take three humans who don't share a common language and you'll get the same thing.

Author Barry Lopez, best known for Of Wolves and Men, calls this initial communication "the Conversation of Death." Animals don't just hunt each other; they read each other first. They size the other up, and when they meet each other, they certainly have a form of communication where our human spoken language plays no part. It isn't necessary.

I feel an elephant meeting a falcon meeting a dog are going to be able to communicate; it's us humans who have divided ourselves with languages.

Now, as far as my take on Other Strangeness is concerned, the act of speaking is a different story! Will your Mutanimal characters actually chat with other creatures? Well, I say if you can get them to talk, I think that would be fun!

I put it that way because animals come in introvert and extrovert too. =)

Purr Purr i am feeling that the speech to animals ability might be a thing we can buy with bio-e or is species specific.
It is, Psychie Psychie , and I can't bring myself to like it! =)

It's so very limited! Although I do like the part where your animal cousins think you're just a messed-up version of one of them! Ha ha!

I have given the Yokai the automatic ability to speak with spirits because they are spirits. Why wouldn't they be able to talk to one another? I think the same should be said of Mutanimals. They have always been animals; why wouldn't they know? =)

But ultimately, I want this because I think it'll be a lot of fun! =)

Well, who am I to go against having fun? Seriously, it seems like you have considered the options enough to be able to offer to a cogent and expressive explanation as to your thinking, so I have no objection.

In still considering my mutation options because the more I think about it, the more I want to have the Full Human Speech.

Thanks, Bud! Of course, if anyone else here finds something wrong with it, or doesn't find the idea to be fun, I would like to know! =)

What's your take on Mutanimals being able to communicate with all animals?
Broad reading of body language and intentions? Sure! Actual speaking feels, to me, more like it should be restricted to our and related species. That, or it's limited by complexity of the topic. It feels like a bird would have no reason to be able to understand more complex communication like pack tactics etc when all it ever has to do is fly overhead and not get involved.

It feels like a bird would have no reason to be able to understand more complex communication like pack tactics etc when all it ever has to do is fly overhead and not get involved.
I don't mean to imply that every animal knows how every other animal lives; your analogy of a bird understanding pack tactics is a perfect example of that.

All I mean to say is that many different animals can and do get along. To do that, I feel communication of some deep kind is required.

"Falcon and Dog best friends. Falcon Feeds Dog"

Even better than many humans if you ask me. =)

Speaking of humans and animals, pets and their owners often show their love for each other without a word required between the two. Actions take the place of words; I think the emotion produced is the same if not more. =)

Last edited:
Broad reading of body language and intentions? Sure! Actual speaking feels, to me, more like it should be restricted to our and related species. That, or it's limited by complexity of the topic. It feels like a bird would have no reason to be able to understand more complex communication like pack tactics etc when all it ever has to do is fly overhead and not get involved.

They might not understand group tactics in the way a wolf would, but some species of birds do take action as a group at need. Or just to change direction in flight, like a flock of starlings: How a Flock of Birds Can Fly and Move Together

Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon
Now, if the majority of you want it this way let me know it complicates things a little on my sude, but I can do it if enough of you would like it. Let me know? =)

Make It So Star Trek GIF

To be honest, I just want to enjoy the game with everyone. I had not planned on being able to talk with animals or spirits when I made Haoyu, so anything on that department is a bonus.

To be honest, I just want to enjoy the game with everyone. I had not planned on being able to talk with animals or spirits when I made Haoyu, so anything on that department is a bonus.
Yeah. Haoyu and Kiseko have your spirits covered... while Moyo, Alya, and Toby be supplyin' mad representation in da animal 'hood wit' dat wild behavior, yo! =)

Ha ha ha!

Honestly - just do what's best for the game. It's a choice that matters for Alya, but in a way where either option works equally well. If you think it's best to have all animals in one big group of mutual understanding, go for it - sure makes a few things easier.

My thought's mostly that animals are (in many cases) too complex creatures to be easily understood by others. But maybe mutants have enough insight into the human and animal world to communicate...

My thought's mostly that animals are (in many cases) too complex creatures to be easily understood by others.
Silanon Silanon Yeah! Oh, I think you're right on, Sil. I am convinced that being able to communicate with, and being able to know and understand another creature are two different things.

Upon first meeting, a bird and a dog are only able to communicate in my world; they know nothing of each other's habits, lifestyles, or instincts. Of these matters, each is clueless of the other... in the beginning of their relationship. =)

Like the dog and the falcon in the video above, I imagine that once these two creatures realized they were not a threat to one another (thereby having had Lopez's Conversation of Death, if you will), there came the opportunity to go from a relationship of neutrality to, eventually, a true and lasting friendship.

All I mean to provide is the means to communicate; the rest is up to the individuals involved. =)

Purr Purr I am going to go ahead and lower Moyo’s Size to a 10 and get the Full Speech and the Enhanced Extra Limb: Trunk to give him more tactile ability with his schnozz.

Advanced Prehensile Trunk (special) - 15
At the end of the trunk are the equivalent of three strong fingers, two on top, one on the bottom. The bottom finger functions as a "thumb," which means the end of the trunk works as a full Hand. Retains its P.S.
Waitaminnit. Isn't that part only for Indian elephants? Moyo is African.

Waitaminnit. Isn't that part only for Indian elephants? Moyo is African.

It didn’t seem to have any kind of restriction on it that I saw. I’ll double check in the book once I get home. If not, I’ll think of something to do with those points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back