First time player, questions both mechanical and referencial

Re: First time player, questions both mechanical and referen

wordman said:
So Grapples tend to be problematic in 2e? ;)

Captain Hesperus
As I understand it, grappling is problematic in everything.
(Warning, link leads to the Site That None Can Leave)

Got it, grapple if I want to stall for time.

vinom said:
Got it, grapple if I want to stall for time.
But not if you have other unengaged opponents. They will stab you to death quite easily.

Captain Hesperus

I mean stall for time as everyone looks up the rules.

Is there a martial arts school that grants perfect attack or perfect defense?

Is there a dice cap on damage?

vinom said:
Crane Style contains a perfect parry, and Water Dragon a perfect soak. The latter is quite borked.

Not really.

vinom said:
As PoH says, Crane or Water Dragon have PDs. There's not one that offers perfect attacks. Yet. Although Tiger Style allows a dice pool buff that is compatable with the Third Excellency.

vinom said:
The size of your hands? The number of dice you own?

Captain Hesperus

There's not one that offers perfect attacks.
Actually, not true. Both Falling Blossom and The Art of Relentless Persuastion (Conviction Style) have perfect attacks. In addition to Crane and Water Dragon, The Art of Meditative Discussion (Temperance Style) also has a perfect defense.

I'm also sure that Sidereal Styles have some perfect effects, but I don't get into those, myself.

Lets assume I don't have access to the make me explode sidereal charms at character creation.

Is there any good character creation program, something to help my put down my thoughts and work them over without much erasing?

vinom said:
Is there any good character creation program, something to help my put down my thoughts and work them over without much erasing?
There is two actually. Anathema and Ed Exalted but I don't have their links though I think a google search can handle that. If you are doing something other than solar I suggest Ed Exalted though.

Greenstalker said:
There is two actually. Anathema and Ed Exalted but I don't have their links though I think a google search can handle that. If you are doing something other than solar I suggest Ed Exalted though.
Anathema works great for terrestrials too. And for mortals, as long as they're not god-bloods or sorcerers or martial artist or thaumaturges...but who'd want to do those things?

Honestly, I like it more. It's got some nice charm cascades even if you don't use it for character creation.

Quick question for you guys. Say there is a DB that knows Terrestrial circle sorcery. The DB then goes on to later learn either a Celestial or Immaculate Martial Art. Would that DB be able to then learn Celestial circle sorcery without having to go through all the normal rituals?

Daifuku said:
Quick question for you guys. Say there is a DB that knows Terrestrial circle sorcery. The DB then goes on to later learn either a Celestial or Immaculate Martial Art. Would that DB be able to then learn Celestial circle sorcery without having to go through all the normal rituals?
By default, no Terrestrial can achieve Celestial sorcery, regardless of their Martial Arts enlightenment.

Daifuku said:
By default, no Terrestrial can achieve Celestial sorcery, regardless of their Martial Arts enlightenment.
I brought up the artifact that lets exalts cast sorcery one level higher than normal. Now we're wondering what would happen if a Solar used it :P

Daifuku said:
Regardless of Martial Arts Enlightenement true. They instead have to either have the Mantle of Bridget, or a similar NA level Artifact...or sell their soul to the Yozi's and become an Akuma.

Does DV PDV, Soak or Hardness suffer from a dice cap, or something similar?

In 1st Edition Power Combat (/shudder), armour soaks were capped at 12 with anything over that becoming Hardness.

2nd Edition has overcome that and now you can have any combination of armours, armour-applicable Soak Charms and so forth. Note however, there are few Charms that supplement armour Hardness, most (such as Durability of Oak Meditation) set a default amount which is used instead of armour Hardness.

As for DV's, I don't know. My group uses rolled defences and we don't use DVs.

Captain Hesperus

no cap for soak or hardness I know of. If you go with the DV are unrolled pools then the normal excellency cap would apply.

Hm... question. If you make your sacrifice to learn sorcery, and then somehow UNmake said sacrifice, what happens?

Example would be cutting off your finger, and then growing it back with magic/artifacts/Lunar regeneration.

Hm... question. If you make your sacrifice to learn sorcery, and then somehow UNmake said sacrifice, what happens?
Example would be cutting off your finger, and then growing it back with magic/artifacts/Lunar regeneration.
I've always ruled that if your sacrifice is restored, you suddenly find yourself unable to use the <insert level> Circle Sorcery Charm until you have made a new sacrifice. Also I make it, a new sacrifice has to be even more life-changing and irrevokable. Just to indicate the displeasure of the Salinian Working...

Captain Hesperus

What's a useful 5 dots worth of artifacts for a martial artist?

vinom said:
What's a useful 5 dots worth of artifacts for a martial artist?
What style?

Obviously, if you use a style that permits armour, take it. If not, then Silken Armor or Discrete Essence Armor.

Hearthstone Bracers are a handy thing. As are Perfected Kata Bracers.

Form weapons?

Captain Hesperus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back