First time player, questions both mechanical and referencial

Re: First time player, questions both mechanical and referen

vinom said:
If I have a suplemental charm with a one-scene duration in a combo, but it's already active, do I still have to pay the motes while using the combo?
I believe so. The rules for Combos are quite strict on the use of Supplemental Charm. If it supplements an action in the Combo, then it must be used. Conversely, there's nothing stopping you having two almost identical Combos, one with the Charm and one without. The tactic would be to activate the scene-long Supplemental-included Combo first, then the variant thereafter.

Captain Hesperus

vinom said:
Also' date=' what are the likelyhood of Mela being willing to empower my character, in addition to his second breathe?[/quote']
Mela? No-one's really sure if any of the Immaculate Dragons actually exist or if they were a fabrication by the Bronze Faction. There's only the Greater Elemental Dragons, of which only the Kukla, the Black Cloud of An-Teng, Oo-Tahn and Gardullis are even mentioned in name, if not in full detail.

Captain Hesperus
They way they're refered in Parad's Profile made me believe they were real... which means my plan to get the 'Mandate to Rule' from the five of them might be out of the window.

vinom said:
They way they're refered in Parad's Profile made me believe they were real... which means my plan to get the 'Mandate to Rule' from the five of them might be out of the window.
As the setting is currently presented in the books, they most definitely are real. But they are five souls of Gaia, who likely have nothing, or almost nothing, to do with the Immaculate Philosophy and less to do with the Immaculate Order.

The charm Mantle of Elemental Fusion from Lord of Creation:

1) Can I used that on a summoned elemental?

2) Can I use it multiple times at once?

3) Are the motes committed or just expended?

vinom said:
The charm Mantle of Elemental Fusion from Lord of Creation:
1) Can I used that on a summoned elemental?
Yes. Bound properly, it will cooperate and make use of the Charm easier.

2) Can I use it multiple times at once?
It's not Stackable; its effect can't cumulate.

3) Are the motes committed or just expended?
The mote cost of a Charm is always committed until its effect lapses, unless indicated otherwise by a keyword (such as Sorcerous) or otherwise explicitly stated. Charms lapse when their Duration completes or when you withdraw the committed motes early.

If I use Mantle of Elemental Fusion on a Storm Serpent, what intimacies are likely to slide over to me?

Would it be possible for a sorcerer to have multiple of the (Element) Dragon's Claw spells active at the same time, if so how would that work?

Are there any charms/merits that lower the XP cost on anything?

If I use Mantle of Elemental Fusion on a Storm Serpent, what intimacies are likely to slide over to me?
A hatred of tall buildings and enjoying killing innocent bunny rabbits. Unless the storm serpent is a long term version that don't build much in the way of none destructive intimacies.

Would it be possible for a sorcerer to have multiple of the (Element) Dragon's Claw spells active at the same time, if so how would that work?
I would allow you to have 2 active as long as you take the off hand penalty for one of them. You could set the statistics separately for each claw to take advantage of having two weapons.

Are there any charms/merits that lower the XP cost on anything?
merits - prodigy reduces cost to raise one ability to rating x1

There's a celestial martial art charm that reduces the cost to learn terrestrial martial in half. Can't remember which book it's in though.

Hero said:
There's a celestial martial art charm that reduces the cost to learn terrestrial martial in half. Can't remember which book it's in though.
It's the Solar charm Swallowing the Lotus Root, page 59 in Lords of Creation. Problem being that it explicitly states that only Celestial Exalted (and akuma) can learn it.

Are charms that don't reference the dice cap but add extra successes to a roll(Tiger-and-Bear Unity) subject to the dice cap per the second excellency?

No. Success adders that do not specifically reference such, nor are the 2nd Excellency are NOT capped by such.

This is why people REALLY like getting their mitts on those charms. However, note that success adders on damage the automatic successes are actually soaked first...and the soak subtracts one auto success per point of soak. This...tends to make such be a little...wasteful, in many cases.

No. Success adders that do not specifically reference such, nor are the 2nd Excellency are NOT capped by such.
This is why people REALLY like getting their mitts on those charms. However, note that success adders on damage the automatic successes are actually soaked first...and the soak subtracts one auto success per point of soak. This...tends to make such be a little...wasteful, in many cases.
Yeah, auto damage successes does not equal automatic health level reduction. :(

Captain Hesperus

Besides Manual of Exalted Power - Dragon-Blooded, Ten Thousand Correct actions, Lords of Creation, and the two from Ink monkey, are there any other DB Charms?

vinom said:
Besides Manual of Exalted Power - Dragon-Blooded, Ten Thousand Correct actions, Lords of Creation, and the two from Ink monkey, are there any other DB Charms?
Tiger-Dragon Drill Approach, in Lands of Creation's West chapter, but it relies on service to a Solar.

If there are more, I probably noted them in my indices (linked in my signature).

Urk, late reply.

Revoke said:
(Disclaimer: this is all IIRC).
Technically, you are correct. But, this is one of those things that has got to change to make akuma a thing, instead of just some stupid vestigial organ of the system. When the only way to make akuma is to trick sorely uninformed or entirely idiotic people into a bad deal, stories for akuma become kind of constrained.
This is an excellent point!

No. Success adders that do not specifically reference such' date=' nor are the 2nd Excellency are NOT capped by such.[/quote']
This is certainly the case by RAW, which I suppose means my group uses a house rule. Wouldn't uncapped dice adders be problematic? Uncapped, it makes them seem like incredibly valuable no-brainer charms, rather than the rather nice discounts they are when subject to the cap.

vinom said:
vinom said:
Also' date=' what are the likelyhood of Mela being willing to empower my character, in addition to his second breathe?[/quote']
Mela? No-one's really sure if any of the Immaculate Dragons actually exist or if they were a fabrication by the Bronze Faction. There's only the Greater Elemental Dragons, of which only the Kukla, the Black Cloud of An-Teng, Oo-Tahn and Gardullis are even mentioned in name, if not in full detail.

Captain Hesperus
The write ups for the elemental poles in the Wyld book also mentions the elemental dragons. They don't talk too much about what the dragons are like, though. The immaculate order's legends about the 'Immaculate Dragons' may or may not bear any resemblance.

Where are the rules on a creature being too wyld tainted to function in Creation?

vinom said:
Where are the rules on a creature being too wyld tainted to function in Creation?
Last chapter of Compass: Wyld, near the beginning or end of the section on mutations (I think it's near the end). They're not especially interesting. Some regular interval of aggravated damage depending on how tainted you are.

Are the Virtues capped by 5 or essence, which ever is higher, too?

Also, where could I find the rules for games strategy, like Gateway?

vinom said:
Also' date=' where could I find the rules for games strategy, like Gateway?[/quote']
There are no published rules for stuff like that.
I tend to use Mass Combat rules, starting each player out with a legion.
At least there are rules for it, no matter that they're partially broken.

vinom said:
Are the Virtues capped by 5 or essence' date=' which ever is higher, too?[/quote']
Five.
Unless you use the Paragon of [Virtue] Merit from Scroll of Heroes.

Captain Hesperus

That paragon of [Virtue] must be useful for Lunars...

And it gets abused by players.

One of my ex-players used it until I banned it from him so he could have Compassion 1, Conviction 6.

And it gets abused by players.
One of my ex-players used it until I banned it from him so he could have Compassion 1, Conviction 6.
I'm more contemplating what someone could do with 6 in all four...

I hear something about the creation of magitech 'parts' of one lower rating than the final product to supplement the need for exotic materials, is this accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back