[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

The problem with the "Watchmen logic" is that the Manse can be destroyed.

Unless of course you stay on point to make sure it's protected (limiting your ability to do stuff outside of Ankss) or you summon an army of demons to protect it (which will inevitably draw unwanted attention to Ankss).

Leaving them on site as they are is a recipe for disaster IMHO. If they can't make you budge by themselves, they will find someone who can chase the invaders away from their home, causing even more trouble.

Eviction, relocation and rehabilitation could be arranged though, especially considering Flicker's connections... but it's going to hard to get to that after the duel if we haven't taken the right steps prior to the duel.

Your negotiations will need to include all DKs.
Does that mean that the Manse is out of the terms of the duel ?

I mean that you will have to negotiate with the DKs as a whole, not with Z alone.

The Manse survived centuries. Unless the DKs go for burned ground, it will survive.

I mean that you will have to negotiate with the DKs as a whole, not with Z alone.
We should leave * "Nice swamp you have here. It would be a pity if it was ravaged by a horde of demons..." and* Reform/liberation of Ankss humans?* out of the duel then... because unlike the rest (which is owned, even the Manse, I just checked), those are terms that go well beyond their personal sphere of influence.

Which is precisely my point... how are we going to negotiate "peace" with a hostile community after their leader has been slain ?

They can decide to entrust the thing to Z's victory, so that he'll officially represent Ankss in the duel.

Well if they do, they're just plain dumb... or very sure of Z's powers (which isn't a good sign for Flicker).

cyl said:
Well if they do, they're just plain dumb... or very sure of Z's powers (which isn't a good sign for Flicker).
Dude.

If they don't you have left both a major policy objective (free the humans of Ankss) and an avenue for putting that policy into place (Shocking amounts of bloodshed) in place. Forcing everything to be bound to personal concepts of ownership means, if nothing else, Fangs is entirely free to act on her own.

They have to. As I said previously, not accepting those terms is weapons-grade stupid.

If they don't you have left both a major policy objective (free the humans of Ankss) and an avenue for putting that policy into place (Shocking amounts of bloodshed) in place. Forcing everything to be bound to personal concepts of ownership means, if nothing else, Fangs is entirely free to act on her own.
Leaving the duel to personal matters doesn't mean we can't approach them on matters that concern the community.

The argument "free the humans or we destroy you" is a point we can make independantly of the duel.

They have to. As I said previously, not accepting those terms is weapons-grade stupid.
This is precisely why they met with Two Wolrds... to find allies to help them have the guts to say "no, we don't have to" and make others regret trying to make a move on them.

It's an insurance policy.

Cyl, you're supposed to worry about Two Worlds, and CI, Arynne, and I are supposed to worry about the DKs.

Please stop bringing up this stuff ad nauseam.

A Hidden Judge would be a perfect mediator, actually -- someone who can ascertain what is actually, objectively just in this arrangement, and whose opinion both sides would respect.

Flicker would prefer to negotiate with all the DKs...but she still doesn't know what their power structure is, and that worries her. Zeesalth is respected enough to negotiate for them with visiting Exalted, but who's really in charge? Who is this "He Who Basks in the Sun" character, and how did the Dragons' theology become so weird? That's one of the things that they need to find out, or it will bite them in the ass the way so many other things have. An honest middleman would help there, too.

Cyl, relax. I know you're worried because we've all botched so many things already. :P But please try to remember it's only a game. We win some, we lose some.

Arynne, is there any reason to not challenge "Whoever is in charge and makes the rules" ? A mediator should be able to determine that, and set up the duel accordingly.

True. And if Fangs suggests a Hidden Judge -- I'm not sure Flickering Claw knows about that spell -- Flicker will agree that's the most efficient way.

@cyl, what Kacie said.

Cyl, with all the love I have for you, you are being obnoxious.

I understand you care for the game and want to cover every possible angle, but this is a just game: we can afford to fuck up in the most spectacular, dumb way and it will still be fun.

Please give your fellow players the space to make mistakes their own way.

xarvh said:
we can afford to fuck up in the most spectacular, dumb way and it will still be fun.
As a player of mine in a Blue Planet game once said: "Screwing up means we get to shoot our way out."

Arynne said:
True. And if Fangs suggests a Hidden Judge -- I'm not sure Flickering Claw knows about that spell -- Flicker will agree that's the most efficient way.
Yeah, my thought is that Flicker asks for something, and Fangs comes up with using a Hidden Judge.

xarvh said:
@cyl, what Kacie said.
Cyl, with all the love I have for you, you are being obnoxious.

I understand you care for the game and want to cover every possible angle, but this is a just game: we can afford to fuck up in the most spectacular, dumb way and it will still be fun.

Please give your fellow players the space to make mistakes their own way.
Fine... apologies... again.... would like to promise it won't happen in the future, but that would be unrealistic. :P

We know it will happen again, and we'll slap you again once it happens. =P

But we really appreciate your self awareness and good intentions. =)

CrazyIvan said:
But how will you spy on the tenure committee of the academy or whatever it is without stealth charms?
#appliedacademia
By Presence-ing my way in to a position where I get to decide who gets Tenure > :)

So a Hidden Judge will negotiate on behalf of Flicker:

Flicker loses:

* Her heart

* The eggs

* The swamp people refugees

* Her artifacts

* "Nice swamp you have here. It would be a pity if it was ravaged by a horde of demons..."

Zeesalth loses:

* His heart

* "His" daiklave and Berek's bow.

* The Manse of Ankss

* Liberation of Ankss humans

Not sure the Judge will appreciate the threat though.

At the same time, conquering someone is considered legitimate business...

Well, we could also add "Nice Cross you have here -- it would be a pity if it was ravaged by a horde of swamp fighters armed with steampunk weapons" to the things the DKs would have to give up...

xarvh said:
Not sure the Judge will appreciate the threat though.

At the same time, conquering someone is considered legitimate business...
It's a lawful dual, and as far as the Judge is concerned, as I understand it, as long as it doesn't break Creation's laws, it's fair game - and expressly not their problem.

It would be *so much easier* if 'Defying the will of the Exalted' was still a crime. Frakking Solars.

As much as it pains me to do so, I must, at least for now, put down the mantle of Rhapsody. Too much is going on for me now and I can't keep up with the (amazing) depth of story and play. Rather than continue the frustration and anxiety of trying to fit it in, I'm going to instead step back. I'm hoping, sooner rather than later, I can come back in earnest and take part, if there's still a spot open.

For now, I want to take the time to point out that I really appreciate what little (in comparison to others who have played here for years) time I've played in this game. It truly is an unmatched experience with a depth that I've never seen before. And, the players, you guys. Holy crap. Trying not to sound like I'm patronizing you, you're a rare bunch. Dedicated, creative, fair, passionate, and talented.

I really looked up to you all before I started playing here. I considered you the elite of the Pattern Spider/RPdom boards and aspired to what you guys do. All that still holds true.

The short version of what I'm trying to say is thank you. It's meant a lot to me. And thank you, xarvh, for the patience.

All right, I'll stop with the mushy stuff.

Keep up the fun. I'll be lurking.

Last edited by a moderator:
WlfSamurai said:
As much as it pains me to do so, I must, at least for now, put down the mantle of Rhapsody. Too much is going on for me now and I can't keep up with the (amazing) depth of story and play. Rather than continue the frustration and anxiety of trying to fit it in, I'm going to instead step back. I'm hoping, sooner rather than later, I can come back in earnest and take part, if there's still a spot open.
For now, I want to take the time to point out that I really appreciate what little (in comparison to others who have played here for years) time I've played in this game. It truly is an unmatched experience with a depth that I've never seen before. And, the players, you guys. Holy crap. Trying not to sound like I'm patronizing you, you're a rare bunch. Dedicated, creative, fair, passionate, and talented.

I really looked up to you all before I started playing here. I considered you the elite of the Pattern Spider/RPdom boards and aspired what you guys do. All still holds true.

The short version of what I'm trying to say is thank you. It's meant a lot to me. And thank you, xarvh, for the patience.

All right, I'll stop with the mushy stuff.

Keep up the fun. I'll be lurking.
You'll be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back