[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

Argis really is ideal. I'm new, but I did read all the IC threads (took a while!) to catch up, and Argis really comes across as a calm, level-headed person who isn't an ideologue.

Also he's not a DeathKnight. ;)

Well as the plan was to use one exalt in each cities and we will soon have 3 of them I would suggest

Rhapsody in Cross - Argis in Mirunda - Malek (through Melia) in Nathir.

About the executive prerogative... I think a rotation system between those willing to take the reins for a time might be better than just a full delegation.

Malek has had it for 2 years straight and it has made him pretty miserable even though he's never used his prerogative stamp to impose his views (if he had, Thorns would be covered in grey mushroom shit by now :D ).

Perhaps a yearly or seasonal rotation could be interesting and give space for each character willing to get involved in ruling the lands and give us some interesting developments depending on each situation and each inclination.

guys, primoridials are kinda creepy.. and awesome.. xarvh I fully plan to use this conversation as a scene towards building some sort of intimacy for Keyneya... not sure exactly what just yet

Alien and inhuman! (Nearly typed inhumane, but that works too!)

Had an idea last night -- there's still quite a number of dots worth of Jade artifacts left, right? How about using them to get some of those pair of jade eyes, that let you communicate over long distance? That would be really handy to communicate between Away teams and the Home team.

I forget if they're long distance *enough* -- someone want to check me on this?

IIRC those are one way. But you could be using one consciously as communication. You wouldn't know if someone stole the other end though.

Honestly, its something I think needs to be resolved IC, though I have a plot for explaining things to Malek - both her plan for Tirana and leaving.

About communication: if Argis stays in Mirunda, IIRC he can send word to everyone within a 400miles perimeter which conveniently includes Nathir & Cross if I'm not mistaking.

Gathering resources or exalts is much more problematic because not all of them are able to move fast.

AFAIK the only people able to take the Circle or at least part of it at great speeds inland are Fangs & Malek, but we for the moment we have no way of moving larger groups.

The top on foot speed is 20 miles per day with that Survival Charm Malek has, which is not bad considering a day's ride is worth 30 miles with a horse.

I think that we should include this in our plans and make sure that every "city" has what it takes to defend itself.

Fortunately for us, we do have 3 trainers. :)

CrazyIvan said:
Honestly, its something I think needs to be resolved IC, though I have a plot for explaining things to Malek - both her plan for Tirana and leaving.
Okay, I'm all for it !

Perhpas Flicker should come to, you know, to make sure Malek knows when to shut up and listen and Fangs doesn't transmogrify him :)

The only flaw in this plan of yours is that Argis has pretty much no interest in Mirunda other than strategic, and a lot of things of interest in Cross (not to mention a sense of duty to it).

It is in my plans to have Argis learn sorcery for a travel spell, a communication spell (last on the priority list because WCWT), and utilitarian purposes (walls, anti-scrying/spying, etc). That is likely to be a ways off in the future yet though so I wouldn't plan around it.

True about Argis - but having a backup way of communicating would free Argis up to move, since he's also one of the main diplomats/traders. We have enough PCs that we need more than one communication relay. I'd be happy if Malek learned Argis's charm & we had a set of the jade eyes, because it's clear that poor communication is screwing up diplomacy.

If Fangs had had one of the eyes, and Malek the other, then likely the current debacle with Tirana would have been avoided.

EDIT: cross-posted with Feantari, but adding this to say we really need to have more than one person who can relay information long distance. Someone else getting a long distance communication charm/spell, and/or getting some artifacts. I mentioned the Jade Eyes because there's a lot of Jade artifact dots sitting around unclaimed.

Can you point me to these jade eyes you are thinking of? I was apparently thinking of The Hound's Eyes from Oadenal's, but those are not necessarily jade and have a distance limit of 10 miles.

Damn - I will have recheck my books when I get home. There's a distinct possibility I'm remembering a 1e artifact. :(

On the other hand, as the artifact I remember duplicates a DB charm, it shouldn't be too horribly expensive in artifact points if Xarvh allows.

Either way - right we're trying to coordinate a several hundred mile empire and only one person has a working cellphone that can send information. Everyone else can "hear" but has to reply by post and hope the postman doesn't get eaten. We should OOC figure out what we can do to improve communications so everyone can send information in a fast & reliable fashion.

I'm keen on the idea of having a network of trees communication posts via Spoke the Wooden Face. We can keep them manned by relays so that urgent messages are always heard. ^_^

Maybe we can do some sort of crazy craft genesis project to create a tree with natural connections with its seeds and then we can grow trees of whispers that can transmit and receive messages via a network of each other. Then mortals would be able to use the system as well. Maybe they would need to have a simple artifact or something.. idk.. is idea.

What's the gist of the charm? Would Didee be able to help set it up? --the craft genesis project is cool, but will take a long time to do. I'm hoping we can find some short-term solutions, even if incomplete, to help. Malek learning Wind Carried Words from Argis would be a great start, although up to Cyl if he wants to spend the exp!

What else needs to be covered regarding the current IC topic? Kalek's people need leadership (who?), can plant but need seeds (need seeds & transport for seeds), and need guarding (Bloom only protects against undead, not demon armies, mortals, Immaculates, etc, etc).

What have I missed?

Either way - right we're trying to coordinate a several hundred mile empire and only one person has a working cellphone that can send information.
And it's not even a cell phone it's more like a one way telegraph... you can't answer.

Malek could indeed learn WCWT, but I'm not sure it would not be a "waste" of 16xp.

I was thinking Lookshy probably has some military grade long range communication devices Malek could buy / steal / get his hands on.

But as I said, to me, communication is not the greatest problem, it's moving loads and groups of people faster than the other powers that can give us a significant advantage over them.

EDIT: just to be clear, if there is no other way, Malek will obviously learn WCWT... or perhaps start on Sorcery.

If we want to avoid huge extremely not discrete flying artifact ships... it's kinda like the only option for moving loads / groups fast.

cyl said:
EDIT: just to be clear, if there is no other way, Malek will obviously learn WCWT... or perhaps start on Sorcery.

If we want to avoid huge extremely not discrete flying artifact ships... it's kinda like the only option for moving loads / groups fast.
Because lord knows sorcery's transport options are subtle ;)

That also renders the Cross dependent on Malek being around for goods transport. You just mentioned him taking on too much and feeling stretched thin, now he's also going to be the postman?

Also, it should be noted that Fangs has sorcery-based fast communication, she just rarely uses it.

Arynne said:
Well, the possibility of inventing dirigibles has been discussed before...
If Mirror was a member of the Lookshy military, she might have heard about the League's airboats...

Also: using Lunar Charms and Genesis Arts to create our own san- or even ata-beasts. Why not a postal service of intelligent carrier pigeons?

(As it is, the military patrols guarding Cross's borders already have a handful of semi-intelligent mospids to deliver messages quickly.)

CrazyIvan said:
Because lord knows sorcery's transport options are subtle ;)
That also renders the Cross dependent on Malek being around for goods transport. You just mentioned him taking on too much and feeling stretched thin, now he's also going to be the postman?

Also, it should be noted that Fangs has sorcery-based fast communication, she just rarely uses it.
No that's just a tactical option I'm considering.

And Malek and Argis are the postmen now.

I bought two large boats to make sure we can get enough of what we need.

One thing I had not considered though is that Melia also can have the ability to ride as Malek does, making her a rather efficient messenger.

CrazyIvan said:
Fangs can also carry 800 pounds at 200 MPH.
That means she's the go to girl when we need something moved fast or when we need to gather everyone.

Which is priceless !

800 pounds isn't that bad at all but somehow I can't picture her fetching stuff according to someone else's agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back