[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

cyl said:
There is contradictory information between the core and other supplements about sailing speeds, but it doesn't matter.
I am not after long term travel. I am after covering as much distance as can be in as little time as possible.

I checked the corebook last night and realized that river sailing is significantly slower than sea sailing, hence my interest for tireless rowing.
Well, it matters to me. :-P That's a two charm opportunity cost if he wants to pick something like that up. At 3m per "scene" it could be feasible for him to keep that up for a long trip, but it would depend on how often he has to trigger it and when he finds this manse he's looking for. It certainly may be worth it, but it may be better to pick up charms that would help with fighting, training, keeping troops alive, etc.. Its an option though, and one that I wouldn't mind putting to use if it seems worthwhile. OTOH if Malek wants a sailing charm for that purpose that also seems like a good idea if he's going for the diplomat role.

There's a pretty good chance we're going to have to just buy a ship also. Last time Argis managed to convince some people that were contacts to make the run by fronting a lot of cash for the operation. Given their hardships its unlikely we're going to find someone else willing to make the trip. (not that buying a ship is a problem, heck we can probably get some really choice prices, but just as a heads up)

cyl said:
And finally nothing stops us from setting up a trap and fixing the labs, we have Scenes and Projects for that specific reason.
That was my point earlier. :-P

Oh, check out Immortal Captain's Advantages (ink monkey's). That with a custom speed charm would be pretty sweet. You wouldn't have to worry about the sailing stuffs eating all your combat essence.

Ooooh good idea ink monkeys !

I ask for ST's confirmation but Perfect Reckoning Technique could work:

Perfect Reckoning Technique

Cost: 4m; Mins: Sail 3, Essence 1; Type: Simple (Dramatic Action)

Keywords: Combo-OK

Duration: Instant

Prerequisite Charms: Any Sail Excellency

The Lawgivers find their way through the most terrible seas. This Charm is a dramatic action to guide the ship toward its destination. The Solar must be on board and authorized to navigate. The ship travels on course at its maximum speed until something—sleep, combat or the need to focus on other matters—distracts the character and causes her to take another action. The Solar’s player automatically succeeds at any valid Sail roll made for the character to find her way around known hazards to a given destination—though she must have enough information to make this a valid roll.
It's no tireless rowing but if I get max speed like 20mph, it means Nathir - Mirunda in a few days.

Oh, here you go cyl, there is a solar counterpart to the DB charm storm-outrunning technique.

Fleet-Out-running-Flagship it has infinite duration (instead of just a scene), requires any sail ex as a prereq, and does not require any extra sail rolls to traverse dangerous waters (I'm assuming per the intent of storm-outrunning technique rather than making you proof from error).

Bam, that will totally do what you need.

Here is the text of the DB charm with errata:

cost: 3m, sail 3, ess 2, type simple

keywords: none, duration: one scene

For the duration of a scene the DB can double his ship's rate of movement. While not a long term aid to travel, this charm can make sure that one ship beats another into port or that the ship can outrun bad weather or pirates. If the ship is forced to take a path through dangerous waters at accelerated speed, Sail rolls may be required to maintain control of the ship and keep it from running aground. This charm has absolutely no effect if the ship is totally becalmed.

errata: charm can enhance any sail vehicle, doubling the speed of its propulsion. Vehicles lacking propulsion receive no benefit.

2.5 really needs a gigantic PDF of everything with final versions of charms and none of this checking 5 books to see if more charms exist. >.<

It has only one fatal flaw: means of propulsion.

When you go against the current you're sloooow.

I'll work on a custom charm soon.

How is that a fatal flaw? Take whatever method you were going to use to move up the river anyway and make it twice as effective... that's not a flaw. I mean, if you were planning to just sit on the boat and hope it went the way you wanted it to it would be a flaw. But with sails or rowers the charm is just fine. (I mean slow is slow and twice slow is not fast.. but it is still twice as fast as you would otherwise be going.)

One of the methods to bring a boat against the current is to have beasts of burden pull it from the shore.

Ink Monkeys are canon and, besides a few horrors, I have no problems with it.

Yes, I hate myself having to check 5 different sources every time I need a Charm, especially now that the Wiki is dead.

Fuck you WW.

If you use any exotic Charm, please please PLEASE quote the full text in your charsheet or at least a link to the online resource.

I'm cautiously optimistic about 3rd ed, but only if they finally getting around to fixing lunars. That mess has been on their radar for freaking ever and lunars are an awesome concept that deserves a better set of charms and anima based form lock getting dumped right out the window.

LUNARS! You are the bane of my existence. I love you so much! But you're so broken. Argh!

Yes, but, if 3E isn't good, I'm going to start modifying my own 1E or 2E crap and break away. Or home-brew. I've been holding off because of the 3E announcement.

I'm kinda pissed because it feels like paying for their mess.

Still there is a lot of good work behind it.

I am optimistic for 3ed myself, but if it does not deliver I am soooo forking... I have already the ideas for the free online charm database.

xarvh said:
I'm kinda pissed because it feels like paying for their mess.
Still there is a lot of good work behind it.

I am optimistic for 3ed myself, but if it does not deliver I am soooo forking... I have already the ideas for the free online charm database.
This!

Eh, I don't mind paying as long as it is good. I was happy that 2.5 happened as smoothly as it did and that ink monkeys was permitted and what not. I think its at least encouraging that they are still working on it. When a system looses that authoritative input pockets like rpdom will probably be fine, but it gets harder to bring people into it and far fewer are introduced to the system.

But holy crap fix lunars already. >.< So, nothing against the dawn solution, because it was nice, but I got so pissed off that that came out before the big lunar rework. I was like really, you guys are making solars even harder to play with lunars? Grar.

So, for scene 10 do you need any more inputs from us on the tracking side xarvh?

Not really, I just need to know whether you are chasing the Legion or nor, and who is going.

What are the specific issues with Lunars?

The Dawn Solution was a step in the right direction, but still a rather patched and clumsy one.

Tracking her can make us loose precious time (especially for Siham who has more pressing things to do), but we can probably learn from her from following her tracks (where she comes from, the route she takes to come back to it etc etc).

Well, Argis will follow for a few hours, but I think we are waiting on input from Arynne as she's the one with the trail.

In other news, I believe all our current scenes are ready to be closed.

I for one would be happy to move ahead.

Unless at the last moment you fuck up badly with Tirana, you will get a Project Post each for the deal.

After we close, Cross will have two seasons of respite, giving you another Project Post each.

I will open a "Prevent famine in Cross" Project, worth likely 3 dots, where Argis and Malek can work their asses off to feed the community.

Other characters may contribute with my approval.

Also, you may want to start planning your next moves (beyond the Projects).

Okay soooo. Let's sum things up. For now we have

• farmers to move
  • hungry mouths to feed
  • Sanctuarians coming our way (10 of them need training) and they'll be carrying bows
  • musical instruments to make
  • to set up a trap for Legion

Am I forgetting something ?

I don't think we have to make instruments anymore since we are training people.

I'm planning to use one of my project posts to complete the trade census since I think that will be a big help moving forward. The second is probably going to end up helping with food stuffs, but could alternately be to keep training the civil defense force.

Xarvh, I'll have Argis talk with both rhapsody and keyneya once he gets back to cross.

I'm guessing Argis can't pick up the manse hunt from here in scene 10?

Making instruments shouldn't cost us much, and it will make her happy. We'll get points for good will... I guess.

@Feantari: consider the Manse found, I'll see how to handle it.

We'll have a Scene where you can talk with Big K and another in (loose) Empire Time or something, am still not sure how to organize the whole thing.

I'd like to help with the feeding once I get my people tools and have them working.

Also, I'd like to perform for Tirana once we have instruments made. Namely, play guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back