• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom /Detailed] Pokemon: Linked World

Just as a heads up: The roleplay will start on Monday. Get your stuff ready till then, and strap in for an adventure! :)

So, I'm having two thoughts, and I gotta hear what you think, so have some tags. :P

The first is really simple - I figured with the starting date being somewhat important, a tag is in order.

The other is a little more complicated. (And since you so nicely critiqued it @tinkerbell @Ayari @welian @Teh Frixz

Hmmm... In theory, a less evolved Pokemon could hold its own with the proper EV training. However, to include EV in a dice system would be a clusterfuck and a half. I'd suggest dropping the dice system entirely for now.

My feelings won't be hurt no matter what. But the only way I see to offset the evolution thing is with levels. I mean, if my Growlithe is level 54 and I'm fighting a level 35 Charzard. The battle could go either way, but my level gives me a advantage. Not so much that the Charzard will lose, but it probably won't win.

Personally I'd prefer if the dice system stayed, it's really well thought out and I like when RP battles are determined by something other than which player feels like making their char lose. Of course, I'm super interested even if the current battle system is out, just my two cents. :D

As for the evolution issue... How about this: when a pokemon has progressed enough to be able to evolve, it can stay in its unevolved form, but its stats change and from that point on it uses its evolved form's stats? Of course it doesn't completely make it like in anime, where everyone can win, but at least nobody would be forced to evolve their pokemon to be able to match the opponent.

I am always in favor of dice to rule things out when it comes to battles between PCs and such but in a narrative sense its extremely clunky without direct conversation. Maybe a hybrid system instead, rules for PCs and maybe a coin flip between NPCs? Or something to be settled via PM and then acted out for the enjoyment of all?

I like the concept of evolving as we progress. I'm not a huge fan of dice, aside from it enforcing a sense of fairness, so I would scrap the system, I like simplicity, but there's also the issue of bias... It's a tough decision and there's obviously different preferences, but I'd say scrap it and just enforce fairness as I'm sure you're capable of making a decision based on likeliness and skill instead of leaning towards a specific author. Unevolved Elite four teams just sounds ridiculous to me. xD

@Sunbather

Hello Sunbather! I actually don't see the problem with what you've already got. You see, this is what the faces of the die are for. Die faces = chance/unpredictability. That's where the dice are holding what you're looking for. Let me do something so you could see it.

(Gen 6 Stats)

Squirtle has 65 def that falls into 3 dice rolled.

The opposing Blastoise has 83 atk that falls into 4 dice rolled.

If Squirtle rolled 3 dice with 1 face, that would be a problem. But since there's 11 faces, Squirtle's dice range is 3(min) --> 33(max). Blastoise's dice range is 4(min) --> 44(max). This system gives PLENTY of space for the underdog to win.

-We can get even more extreme.

Groudon has 150 atk that falls into 6 dice rolled.

Squirtle's dice range is 3(min) --> 33(max)

Groudon's dice range is 6(min) --> 66(max)

It will be harder than Blastoise, but it is very possible that Squirtle could beat Groudon.

If you're still worried about this, increase the # of faces on your dice. Or you can introduce items IC (steroids) that boosts a Pokemon's stats more easily for base forms than fully evolved ones. Say...

Carbs has a 80% chance of working on Stage 1's

Carbs has a 50% chance of working on Stage 2's

Carbs has a 20% chance of working on Stage 3's

You can make them expensive/hard to find

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sunbather Sun is finished, I can't decide on a theme song, but that'll come later, I'm willing to adjust whatever if necessary, including move sets and her background to better correlate with the thread.

White Masquerade] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/17278-sunbather/ said:
@Sunbather[/URL]
Hello Sunbather! I actually don't see the problem with what you've already got. You see, this is what the faces of the die are for. Die faces = chance/unpredictability. That's where the dice are holding what you're looking for. Let me do something so you could see it.

(Gen 6 Stats)

The opposing Blastoise has 83 atk that falls into 4 dice rolled.

If Squirtle rolled 3 dice with 1 face, that would be a problem. But since there's 11 faces, Squirtle's dice range is 3(min) --> 33(max). Blastoise's dice range is 4(min) --> 44(max). This system gives PLENTY of space for the underdog to win.

-We can get even more extreme.

Groudon has 150 atk that falls into 6 dice rolled.

Squirtle's dice range is 3(min) --> 33(max)

Groudon's dice range is 6(min) --> 66(max)

It will be harder than Blastoise, but it is very possible that Squirtle could beat Groudon.

If you're still worried about this, increase the # of faces on your dice. Or you can introduce items IC (steroids) that boosts a Pokemon's stats more easily for base forms than fully evolved ones. Say...

Carbs has a 80% chance of working on Stage 1's

Carbs has a 50% chance of working on Stage 2's

Carbs has a 20% chance of working on Stage 3's

You can make them expensive/hard to find
I agree with this. You'll be surprised how may times a 1 in dice roll with 11 faces can pop up...and completely mess up a more powerful pokemon's chance of victory. In a pokemon dice rolling game I do with my brothers, we actually give any single one a re-roll for multiplier attacks cause it can completely screw a more powerful pokemon's hyperbeam...in an unrealistic way.. Also, 3 one's rolled = 111 , not 3 and considered a miracle roll=P

My example isn't really relevant cause what my brothers and I play is actually a tabletop rp with self made rules and an experience bar and bonuses for defeating gyms/npcs *shrugs*(more flexibility in terms of being complicated). But my point is that an 11 from a 11-face die, has as much chance of popping up as a 1 from an 11-face die. And 1, 2, and 3 can be killers for add attacks, especially in rows.

Increasing the faces of die actually increases the luck factor, which as white says, can up the chances of a smaller pokemon beating a stronger/higher level one. But I wouldn't recommend it too much because it could destroy the balance of levels.

I'm just here to express interest tho I may not have time to join. We'll see =/

I also suggest collabing all battles(rolls are done over pm) and everything is shown as a battle scene via posting(with the dices shown of course). Otherwise posts will be very confusing and battles will slow the pace of the rp dramatically. It also increases they amount of battles that could be done in an rp. So if a character loses to a gym leader, they can try again much more easily the next day without too much effort. Up to you tho.

@tinkerbell Geez, that artwork is beyon cute. c: I'll accept her as soon as you tone down the movesets. Please start with only level up up to Level 20 OR breeding moves/HM/TM (the latter must be sparse and have to be explained in your bio eg how did she get Pokemon with such moves?)

Sunbather said:
@tinkerbell Geez, that artwork is beyon cute. c: I'll accept her as soon as you tone down the movesets. Please start with only level up up to Level 20 OR breeding moves/HM/TM (the latter must be sparse and have to be explained in your bio eg how did she get Pokemon with such moves?)
I thought so, too!

As I thought, was just getting a feel for the limits. I'll get to explaining one special move for each in her bio, but will def fix it up. Thanks for clarifying!

Sunbather said:
Just as a heads up: The roleplay will start on Monday. Get your stuff ready till then, and strap in for an adventure! :)
Ahh!!! I was just leisurely reading these comments, and then I see that this starts on Monday. Is there still room? @Sunbather

tinkerbell said:
@Cross_Rhodes @Eidolon @DreamBeat @LifeNovel If you're interested, know you all might be busy but I'd love to write with you again(:
Thanks for inviting me! I would love to write with you again~

DreamBeat said:
Ahh!!! I was just leisurely reading these comments, and then I see that this starts on Monday. Is there still room? @Sunbather
Thanks for inviting me! I would love to write with you again~
Yeah, please, if you can finish a character in time, go ahead. :)

I had to laugh when I looked up the movesets of my Pokemon - beyond overpowered! All fixed, and I'll explain Chrom's unique move in the bg. Also, I inserted her battle ID, and realized her appearance isn't writen out, thought I'd done that. So that'll be done once my laptop charges!

I finished her appearance, elaborated on her background (how she came to be, acquire her Pokemon and Chrom's special move). I find it to be a unique avenue, just to clarify no she is not that young and designed a web application. Just experimenting with something developmental she'll finish in a few years - though there are kids much younger with mediocre apps on their resume, honestly.

Let me know if it's alright.

@tinkerbell The app idea is kind of cute. I may pick that up somewhere in the roleplay to give your character her very own path (which you can turn down, of course. :P ) Accepted!

@DreamBeat You're accepted as well - and I like Josiah - but could you please change it so that he didn't reach the Ritual Cave? He could've ended up on the way there and was found by an elder before reaching it, and that made him wanna see it for reals. Just not actually go inside of it.

Sunbather said:
@tinkerbell The app idea is kind of cute. I may pick that up somewhere in the roleplay to give your character her very own path (which you can turn down, of course. :P ) Accepted!
@DreamBeat You're accepted as well - and I like Josiah - but could you please change it so that he didn't reach the Ritual Cave? He could've ended up on the way there and was found by an elder before reaching it, and that made him wanna see it for reals. Just not actually go inside of it.
Trust me, I'm already down. ;D Glad you liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back