Captive, Kidnapped by a Pirate [Inactive]

"I want to go home." Adelaide sobbed, and pulled the blanket over her head. She felt ridiculous, crying in front of a child a third of her age.

Of course Kenway would tell a child he was helping the kidnapped princess. It was happier than the truth. Sorry Ana, but Kenway is selling the precious princess for gold.

She waited for Ana to leave so she could cry again. There would never be any comfort for her here. Not in a child, not in Ana, at least not now. Adelaide wanted to go home to her father, who must have been worried sick about her. She wanted to get away from the pirates.

Where was Evan? Why hadn't he found her yet?

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you think we can really save her?"
Maia leaned on the edge of the boat, a bottle of aged rum in her hands. She took a small sip and passed it back to her captain, who also took a drink.

Christopher sighed. It was a loaded question; he wasn't sure if the whole venture was even worth it, but deep down he knew he had to try. "I don't know. I can't just let it all happen, though."

"Why? Caister was terrible to you. The king tried to have you killed."

"That wasn't her fault, Maia."

"Hmph. I guess." The woman ran slender fingers through thick, dark hair. "I still think you're a mad bastard for doing this. You've managed a loyal crew, sure, but we can't take on the world Kenway. No one is capable of that."

He chuckled. "I am."

"What makes you so sure?"

Bottle in hand, he pointed to the door to his chambers where princess Adelaide was sleeping. "I have her."

"A scared princess who cries because she misses daddy?" Maia scoffed. "Gonna have to do better than that, Captain."

"Perhaps." He sighed and watched gentle waves crash against his vessel, reflecting the stars above. "...perhaps."

How many days had it been, the princess wondered. She slept, she almost never ate, but she was breathing. Ana still came to visit her every day to give her food, and she saw Christopher when he had to sleep. He was right all along, no one was coming for her.

The hammock swayed from side to side, Adelaide aided it along when it got to close to the wall, pressing her shaking fingers against the wooden panels. She didn't get up, didn't have the energy or motivation to leave the cabin after the third day. Evan wasn't coming. Her father wasn't looking.

I'm as good as sold.

At the moment, she didn't even know what time it was. There wasn't a window to let her know. She knew the days passed because Ana was always there at least once, and the door would open to let the light in, but that was it. The sun that shined above the never ending ocean, she still hadn't a clue where they were headed.

"She's not eating. Captain. I'm scared."

Looking down into Ana's bright, worried eyes, anyone would melt. Even the strongest mercenary or a killer of kings. Christopher pushed out a suffering sigh and lifted the little girl up and over his head, resting her on his shoulders; the sounds of her laughter could be heard on the nearest coast, he was sure, with how happy she was.

"The princess is also scared," Kenway stated as he checked his compass for a heading. "But I'll talk to her, if it makes you happy."

"It would. She's really nice. And pretty. But she needs a new dress."

Clothes. He hadn't thought about how to dress the woman in their months of travel. The realization dawned on him, and as quickly as he had moved Anastasia he returned her to the deck, off of his shoulders.

"Gregory," he stated, rushing to the wisened old man. "How far are we from Acomb?"

A deep voice grumbled, sorting through his thoughts. Gregory was a slow mind but a sharp one, and was never known to get directions wrong. "If my calculations are correct," he began, watching the sun in the sky and the directions the waves were moving. "...probably two days, Captain. Why?"

"Set a course. We're going to take Acomb."

The surrounding crew had heard the statement and chattered amongst themselves, wondering if their fearless leader was serious. Acomb? It was a humble city, true, but it was so close to Caister that the risk of being captured was much higher.

"We're taking Acomb!" Christopher reassured, lifting a fist to the air. A series of chants broke out on the deck. "Full sail, men! Make it a day's ride instead of two, or I'll feed all of ya to the depths!"

Hm, he chuckled to himself. All for a dress.

Adelaide heard cheers from outside, and turned her head in response. Someone said a name, -omb? Acomb. She'd heard about the city before, well defended, but not impossible to breach. It was likely the fort would be somewhat empty due to her disappearance, a high priority would be on the ocean. She knew this from listening to her father. He put her life above most else, even his own.

She got off of the hammock and her legs buckled under her. Adelaide jerked forward and crashed to the floor like she had the very first day. The blanket she'd been hugging close fell on top of her back. The girl held it tight around her and pushed herself off the ground with her other hand.

There was some water on the table, she sipped it, and then took a small bite of an apple. It was all she could do before feeling sick.

The door opened behind her, "Ana?" She asked, and turned her head to find who the visitor was.

"Not quite."

Christopher stepped into his quarters calmly, not a single trace of the rage days prior remaining inside him. He took a few steps forward and examined the princess with his eyes, his small grin turning sour.

"You need to eat more, princess. I don't want you dead."

"Then you won't get your reward." She said blankly, her eyes focused on the area in front of her, and yet not at all. The girl was stuck in some other place, hoping, still she prayed that she would be rescued.

Adelaide rested her arms on the table and placed her head on them, what good was she but a pile of gold waiting to be claimed? There was no solace, no light, she felt hopeless.

"No one is coming for me." She stated.

"If your thoughts are to kill yourself and rob me of my payment, you would've made a terrible queen." Christopher pulled up a chair and straddled it, crossing his arms and resting them on the highest point.

"No one is coming for you," he repeated. "At least, no one that can find you. Apple?"

"Yes." She nodded, "A terrible Queen. Captured and alone, all she wants to do is go home. Yet, her people can't seem to find her."

She took the apple from his hand and held it on the table, her head still rested on her arm. It would be too much for her to eat, and she knew it. There was little point in trying.

"I can either be sold to whichever kingdom is paying you, or rob you of your gold." She stated. Adelaide took a small bite of the apple and forcefully swallowed. If there weren't so many crew members outside, she would've jumped ship already.

"No desire for freedom? No cling to hope?" He shook his head. "A terrible queen indeed."

Standing from his chair, the captain retrieved a goblet and filled it with water, placing it in front of her.

"Drink."

"No such thing." She mumbled. "From the day I was born, my life was set for me. To be proper, married, and have many sons. Freedom is a lie. If Evan and my father's ships haven't caught you by, well, days ago, there would've been hope."

Adelaide put the apple down and picked up the goblet in it's place. She sipped it a few drops at a time, wetting her tongue after being dry for half a day. Her body craved for more, and she quickly started to chug the water down. She slammed the goblet on the table and held her stomach. It protested the water, yet at the same time thanked her.

"No freedom if I go back. No freedom if I go forward." Adelaide panted. She felt sick. "At least there's freedom in the choice to jump, that's all I've got left." She wiped at her eyes. Kenway didn't need to see her cry. She'd done enough of that already.

"Pathetic." Christopher shook his head and poured her more water. "You're not going to jump overboard, and if you do, we'll rescue you. You don't have an option." He ran his fingers through blonde hair and sighed; he looked exhausted as if he hadn't slept since they left Caister.

"It's not..." he yawned. "Not...ahhhh, not that bad here. Mm. Apologies." He rubbed his face, the bags under his eyes dominant on his face.

Adelaide had nothing more to say to the man. She left the goblet on the table, but not before drinking it's contents first, and crawled back into the comfort of the hammock she'd claimed as hers.

He looked tired. The bags under his eyes were more like bruises, thick black eyes from a hit to the face instead of a day without sleep. Adelaide figured if he was asleep, she could slip away and try to jump ship.

It's the only way.

If he thought she was joking, he'd be sorry in the morning when his investment was nowhere to be found.

He didn't trust her. But more importantly, he was angry.

This wasn't his Adelaide. The girl he knew was full of laughter and hope and desire, and never would have let the flame of possibility extinguish within her. Watching her curl hopelessly in her hammock struck him in a place he didn't think remained and, with an air of defeat, he crawled onto his massive bed and faced his back to her.

Uati was stationed outside the door, prepared.

Adelaide didn't sleep. She waited for Christopher to drift off, and then she waited until dark. The cabin was lit by nothing more than a single candle on the table. It illuminated the food the princess had been neglecting to eat.

She slipped out of the hammock and kicked off her shoes. Where she wanted to go, she didn't need them. There was no spirit left inside of her, no hope. At least at home, she had the comfort of books and the garden, her cousins came to visit from time to time as well. There was the future of an arranged or quick marriage, no time for love or happiness, and it wouldn't be likely with her awkward nature.

The princess had been holed up inside the castle ever since she was a child. Now that she was on the ship did she think about whether or not going back would be best. Where the ship was headed was no better, but if she went home there would only be a tighter chain around her ankle, and an even smaller cage.

Adelaide quietly opened the door, and saw a dark figure with his back turned to the door. Was that the man from earlier? Anthony? No, she reminded herself it was a false name, Uati. She quietly slipped through and left the door open so as not to make any more noise, and slunk along until she was gripping the side of the ship.

She turned her head to look down into the water, black as night, it reflected the stars above. As quietly as she could, she crawled up onto the railing, and gripped the rope mess to her left.

"Come down from there."

The voice was not that of Uati, but of a woman. "You don't want to be doing that, princess."

Adelaide shook her head, brown locks of hair swayed in the night breeze. There was nothing for her at home, nothing for her in the future, and she refused to be a captive aboard a pirate ship. This is all she could do. All she really wanted to do.

"Yes I do." She said dully. Adelaide let go of the rope and put one foot over the edge. She closed her eyes and let gravity take over and push her body forwards.

Goodbye.

"NO!"

"Shit, Uati!" Maia brought her fingers to her mouth and threw out a high-pitched whistle, alerting all hands on deck.

The First Mate, using the power of his booming voice, shouted with such force that the planks vibrated underneath him. "RELEASE THE ANCHOR. DIVERS AT THE READY, GET OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN BEDS OR I'LL HAVE YOUR GUTS FOR GARTERS."

Hearing the chaos would wake anyone from the deepest slumber. Christopher shot from his bed and didn't spare a glance to the empty hammock on his right; he knew where she had gone, what she had done.

I will tear the throat of whoever beat the will from my Adelaide.

Without consulting any of his crew, the pirate captain dove into the turbulent sea in search of his only hope.

Finally, the girl thought as she sunk into the sea. She didn't fight the current, nor did she try to fight the pressure that filled her lungs. Her last breath rose into the water above her as one last bubble beneath the wave.

Her head felt heavy and her lungs burned as the salty water filled her airways. Drowning wasn't as painful as she thought it would be, but at least she had the courage to take that step in.

Above her, she heard the faint crash in the waves. Had she opened her eyes, above the dark blue ocean she would've seen the figure of Kenway. But no, she would've rather sunk to the bottom.

Strong arms wrapped around her waist and hoisted her from the freezing water. As the crew helped him bring her back aboard the Siren, Daniel Evren rushed to the princess's aid and began pressing on her chest in attempt to retrieve the water from her lungs.

"Save her," Kenway demanded, out of breath. "You'd better save her or consider yourself lost to the sea."

Maia knew Christopher's mouth ran wild when he was angry. She knelt beside her husband all the same and encouraged him to keep pushing despite how physically torturous such an action was.

A warm light enveloped the girl, and she felt her body slip away into a void, she wanted to say it was death calling her. She felt weightless and free until a pair of arms gripped her tight and ripped her out of the light. Her lungs once again were filled with water and she couldn't breathe. Limbs slowed and numb, who was there?

Stop. Let me go.

There was a pressure on her chest. Her eyes fluttered open and she coughed up a fair amount of water which spurt out of her mouth in a sickly sounding gurgle. The princess' eyes closed again, tired. She still reached forward for that light again. It had been so calming, easier than the reality of the ocean.

Why are they trying so hard to keep me alive?

Just let me go.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Blankets, blankets!" Daniel waved little Ana over to him, helping her drape cotton covers over the princess's shivering frame. The surgeon rubbed her back in slow circles, encouraging her to cough up remaining water. "Princess?" he asked. "Adelaide, are you with us? Say something, dear. Let us know you're alright."

Christopher forcefully shoved off any attempt of help from anyone, and began to pace angrily.

Adelaide coughed again and then vomited on deck. Breathing in was like inhaling fire and ice, she shivered and cried. They got her back. She was angry, but she couldn't form the words to express it. The girl didn't want to be sold, she would've rather died, but they plucked her back out of the ocean.

"...why?" She coughed. Adelaide gripped the blankets around her and pulled them closer. She sputtered out the last of the seawater and clenched her stomach. Her whole body ached and screamed at her for jumping into the turbulent waves, and her fingers felt numb and lifeless despite their strong grip on the warm cloth.

"I want to..." She started. Her eyes trailed to the rising waves with longing. I want to die. Why did you save me?

"Shhh, princess," the surgeon soothed as he brushed wet hair from her face. "Do not try to talk. You must conserve your en--"

"Are you a
fucking idiot?!" Christopher's shout startled everyone on deck, but no one dared to cross him. The captain grabbed Adelaide by the arms and shook her.

"What the bloody
hell were you thinking?! Do you really think things are so terrible aboard my ship to the point where you would damn a world of people just to spite a pirate?! If you had been taken by any other ship you would have been raped by at least half of them, tortured, beaten into submission, locked in the brig. We gave you food. We were friendly to you. I even gave you my fucking hammock for God's sake, and this is how we're repaid?!" He scoffed and spit at her feet. "I should have known. You're not the Adelaide I remember at all, and I should never have tried to spare you."

"Lock her in the brig. After we're done with Acomb, I'm putting her to work."

The ship remained in silence. Kenway snatched a bottle of rum from one of the gunners and took a long, continuous drink, locking himself in his quarters with a slam of the door.

Adelaide couldn't unlock the stare on her face, a look of shock and confusion. What did that mean, the Adelaide he remembered? They had never met before her time on the ship. She didn't understand.

The doctor continued to rub her back, and eventually got her to her feet. Kenway's men seemed conflicted as to where they should put the girl. She was very clearly not well, so putting her in the brig seemed harsh for a girl who'd almost drowned, and a princess at that. Some of the crew backed away, knowing they were no longer needed on site. Ana was beside Adelaide the whole time, a wide eyed look on her face that mirrored Adelaide.

"I'm very sorry, princess." The doctor whispered in her ear, and led her off. They headed into the hull of the ship, and much to Adelaide's misfortune, to a cell like area in the back.

"Are you really going to lock me in there?" She asked quietly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back