Captive, Kidnapped by a Pirate [Inactive]

Adelaide didn't know it was addictive, Daniel hadn't warned her about the side effects. She frowned, knowing that he had given her something so powerful without warning her at all of it's properties. Later, she'd have to go back and make sure she understood just what Nightshade was. She stopped playing with the cork and examined the vial in her hands. It was half empty at this point, the dark liquid moving lightly through it's clear container.

"I hadn't slept for two days. Couldn't sleep." Adelaide explained, she set the vial down and removed her eyes from the substance. Addictive, Christopher had said. "When I did sleep, I had nightmares. Daniel didn't tell me it was addictive."

"He's probably too worried about the baby to think about anything. Shiva's due any day now." Christopher took a long drag from his pipe and released it, turning to the princess and offering it to her. "Do you smoke?"

Adelaide was wary about her sleep solution now. She wasn't sure if she would be able to stop so suddenly. Sleep was important, and she wouldn't do very well without it. She needed the Nightshade, but, if it was addictive she would stop.

"Not really, but, if you don't mind..." She rose from her spot at the table and leisurely walked towards Christopher with the pipe in hand. Adelaide took it, soft lips taking the inhale before exhaling a thin line of smoke from her mouth. "Thank you."

Christopher was oddly surprised that she wanted to smoke, but he didn't tell her she couldn't. He handed her the pipe and watched her lips more closely than he ought to before turning away and clearing his throat.

"Mm. It's good tobacco."

"As rich as my tastes are, I can't tell with tobacco." Adelaide laughed with the pipe rested in her hand, she took another small drag and once more blew the smoke from her mouth. In Caister, she only smoked in the company of others, as a sort of social activity. It was much more pleasant in private but she wouldn't tell Christopher that.

She held the pipe out to him, balanced delicately on her pale hand. "Here."

"Thanks." He took the pipe from her and took a deep inhale, feeling it burn his lungs pleasantly.

"Probably because you don't know what shitty tobacco tastes like."

Suddenly, Adelaide snickered, and then she was actually laughing. She held her stomach with one hand and smiled wide as she giggled. "It's so true, that's terrible isn't it?"

Bad tastes, poor quality, those things didn't exist in her world. Even things considered good could be bad, and she wondered what would happen if she ate something too low below her standards.

"I was too spoiled." She shook her head. "God damn...I was just." Again, she shook her head. Spoiled didn't cover it.

Her sudden laughter made him chuckle. "'Course you were spoiled, you were royalty. Are royalty. Would prefer it if we spoiled you here?" Christopher teased lightly. "Over my dead body, we would."

"No, I don't need to be spoiled, Christopher. I like it here, just the way it is." Adelaide admitted, a slight blush lit up on her pale face. She hadn't meant to say it, but now that the words were out, she was glad she did.

"I do, however, miss reading, I miss the wine." She sighed, and leaned against the nearest closed window, the glass sent shivers up her spine from the cold. "But, I think I can survive without it."

"Good." Christopher chuckled, but as she mentioned the things she missed he looked at her in shock. "You miss reading?" he scoffed, almost offended. "And wine? There's a bookshelf right bloody behind you, and enough wine to satisfy your needs for years."

But why do I care about what she wants?

Adelaide looked sheepishly towards the door at the entrance to the cabin. "I didn't want to disturb what wasn't mine." She fiddled with her hands in front of her, the normally polished tips were worn and chipped. Normally, this would have been an issue to be taken care of, but here? She couldn't have cared less.

She went to the bookshelf and traced her hand along the spines of several different titles. Many described different places in Valhalla, others for navigating the sea, but one caught her eye more than the others. A worn novel that brought back memories of her childhood.

"The Adventures of Johnny the Pirate." She almost laughed. Adelaide ran a hand over the cover, tracing the faint letters with her middle finger. "Now why in the world is this here? I used to love this book though, I wrote my name on the inside so no one would take it." She mumbled to herself and moved a hand to open to the first page.

"N--" He dove for the book in a sudden leap, knocking it from her hands. "No, don't! I mean, you don't want to read that book, it's for children."

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

The pirate snatched the book from the ground and hid his face from the princess.

Adelaide stood in shock, her eyes wide, and her hands held up defensively, absolutely terrified from the sudden outburst. "Christopher?" She put her hand on his shoulder and tried to reach around him to grasp at the book.

"Oh come on! I lost my copy, I just want to skim it."

"No, it's old and I don't want you to rip it." Christopher shrugged her from his shoulders and clutched the book to his bare chest, scoffing. "There are other books, you don't need this one."

"I'll be careful." Adelaide pleaded. "I've read older books than that, royal, remember?"

She clasped her hands together and looked sadly at his back as he clutched the book. Again, those scars brought out unwanted emotions. It made her feel terrible and sick to her stomach.

"I said no." Christopher's kind demeanor had vanished, and he took the book away only to throw it in his nightstand drawer.

"There are other books," he said with a deep sigh. "Use them."

"Alright. Sorry." Adelaide stood in front of the bookcase once more, but had no interest any more. He was so forceful in hiding the book, it only made her curious.

Don't pry, Addy.

She picked a book at random, The Sea and Stars, it looked to be a guide to navigation. Adelaide didn't intend to read it, but she didn't want him to see the shock on her face. Christopher must have had something important in that book, at least, to have denied her reading it so forcefully.

"N-Navigation," he stuttered, pouring himself an awfully large glass of wine and guzzling it quickly.

She is ruining me.

"Forgive me. I'd like to be left alone."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Adelaide apologized again, quickly putting the book back on the shelf. She scurried towards the door and opened it, only turning to make an awkward half curtsy before she headed out. "Please excuse me then."

Outside, she was surprised to run into Mrs. Newman, but she said a polite hello and continued to below deck. It was about time she checked on Ana, anyway. She was an older sister now in the girl's eyes.

Still, she worried for Christopher in the back of her mind.

What's just happened?

Christopher remained in his cabin until the sun dipped below the horizon, and he drank until he slept, deep in dreams of better times and places, curled up in his scarlet sheets. No one had dared disturb him thus far. Uati had contemplated waking his captain lest he sleep too much, but given the queen's upset disposition he thought it best not to tamper with an already fragile situation.

The night passed horribly for Adelaide, unable to sleep without her Nightshade. Christopher had said it was addictive, but she refused to believe it was true. There wasn't any other way she found comfort in sleep without it. If she couldn't have the simple pleasure of Nightshade, she'd be in for another problem.

She stumbled to find Mrs. Newman. Of all the people on board, she was the one who talked to everyone. It's what she had said when they met, a pirate therapist. She knocked on the old woman's door and waited to be accepted in.

"Mrs. Newman?" She asked quietly after rapping her knuckles against the door. "Can I come in?"

The old woman had just laid in her bed for the night, when she heard a small knock on the door. She recognized the voice as Adelaide's and let a groan slip through her lips.

"Damn you, child. Come in."

Adelaide opened the door and saw the old woman, just near her bed. She gasped, and shut the door quickly behind her. "I'm sorry, I forgot how late it was."

She took a few steps in and stood awkwardly between the older woman and the door, fumbling with her fingers again in the absence of the vial of Nightshade. Christopher was asleep in the cabin, but she didn't dare enter, not until he came out first.

"Mrs. Newman. I just, I really wanted to talk to someone." Adelaide blurted. "But, you're about to sleep, I apologize."

"No, no. It's quite alright." Mrs. Newman pushed herself up and waved the girl closer, gesturing towards a chair. "Sit."

Adelaide did as she was told and pressed the torn dress against her legs. Ever since she'd ripped it free during her fight with the Captain, it had frayed and split in many places. The added mobility was nice, not as restricting as a formal ball gown.

Getting right down to the point she blurted out, her eyebrows knit in confusion and worry. "Christopher worked in Caister, as a slave. And the other night, at the bonfire, you said you met him. How old was he?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back