• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Camp Half-Blood: The New Heroes (OOC)

Should this be remade?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pretty much all jokes are immature, firstly! Second, some of y'all are kids, sit down with that immature junk!

Seriously though, I understand where you're coming from. And if you feel like not being amused at particular jokes makes you more mature, laissez-faire.

well that is kinda a lie, not all jokes are immature; also you are reading way to much into what I posted, I didn't say nor mean not laughing/ being amused at a certain joke makes me more mature.

once more I'll state this, but in the most basic of ways.

*Ahem*

People's sense of humor are different.

Drop it and move on please...

Here we are, let's do some productive group theorizing.

Character sheets.

People often throw into their characters personality that their character is "very smart" or something along those lines.

Ever notice how no one ever makes a "stupid" character, or if they do, they are MIGHTY stereotypical and are more for the purpose of comedy relief than for an actually fleshed out character.

What do you guys make of this?

That is actually true Pine.....tho I sorta made an NPC for something and he was so fucking happy that he's stupid....at least to me

well for me personally, I've always wanted to do something like that but it's kinda hard (for me) to act stupid since I'm more of a logical person at heart.

Maybe because it would take a lot of effort to be that stupid?

Interesting to think about in terms of it being something difficult to relate to.

Have you guys ever tried out the """"homicidal maniac"""" trope?

Look at a particular genre and that's extremely common.

The latest character I tried was one who close to balancing on the edge of sanity who had a few disabilities

one of my favorite characters I made was a innocently insane boy named Ace, he wasn't a psycho or serial killer, but definitely was a few cards short of a deck (more like half the deck was missing xD ) ^_^ . I didn't get to use him much as the rp died but it was fun ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never made a character that insane in any sort of way but I think could be fun to do one.

(maybe a yandere type of person if you guys know what that means)

In the oWoD there was a mental disorder that made the sufferer unable to distinguish between human beings and obviously supernatural creatures like ghosts. You could combine it with the innate ability to see spirits for super-wacky fun (or hideously traumatic experiences) for your character.

Edit: Part of the appeal was that your character could be played as perfectly rational and reasonable in his/her responses to things.

Further Edit: In fact, that was the whole point.

[quote="Federoff, post: 3249611, member: 2471

Pine said:
Here we are, let's do some productive group theorizing.
Character sheets.

People often throw into their characters personality that their character is "very smart" or something along those lines.

Ever notice how no one ever makes a "stupid" character, or if they do, they are MIGHTY stereotypical and are more for the purpose of comedy relief than for an actually fleshed out character.

What do you guys make of this?
It's likely exponentially more challenging if you're not innately funny, or at least, what most people would call funny. I find that genuine humor comes naturally for some, and harder for others, regardless of the form. If we don't see a bunch of funny and smart characters, it stems from the fact that it's outside of the comfort zone of many. With you pointing out the above, now I wish I'd have made a somewhat different type of character. As it is now, I feel like three handles might be spreading myself a bit thin. Though, if you count nonhuman animals, then I've got three already.

Edit: I responded in the wrong context.* I replied to why there aren't many funny characters, as opposed to why there aren't any stupid characters. Why aren't there any stupid characters? Being stupid is not the same as being one dimensional, but it can seem like it to some at first glance. Also a comfort zone thing.

Pine said:
Interesting to think about in terms of it being something difficult to relate to.
Have you guys ever tried out the """"homicidal maniac"""" trope?

Look at a particular genre and that's extremely common.
Pine, you make me want to make a bunch of characters. <3

So...do we just sit there and random sigils pop into existence over our heads?

Flash fact: the astronomical symbol for Triton is--

Triton.png

Also--behold this awesome conch shell firework!

images

Well, as for throwing in my two cents on these topics...

I think my first question can be answered in a couple of ways.

I'm a firm believer in different kinds of intelligence.

To not be able to have a well-designed character that is considered "stupid" just seems to further showcase that.

If they don't have school smarts, then they generally have social skills or street smarts, or have some other particular specialty.

This doesn't pertain to role plays, but take for example Flowers for Algernon.

General intelligence had a pretty distinct inverse relationship with social, in a sense.

The other, equally probably possibility is the people themselves and how they want to place their characters.

Unless their character is meant to be comedy relief, as mentioned before, people generally want their characters to do well in some sense.

Just as people will want their character to be the most powerful, others will want that same glory but through being smarter than the rest.

Needless to say, people carelessly tossing the phrase "intelligent" around in character sheets irritates me.

I also think there are certain kinds of character tropes that are rarely tread upon and really, genuinely fleshed out.

Second question was mostly me taking a crack at people finding "homicidal maniacs" to be "relatable."

In any case, the application of this is another thing that often irritates me.

Often leads to black-and-white morality, throwing around psychology terms that are misunderstood by the common populace, and consequently misrepresents them.

Also, just the knowledge that these characters are used for "fun" and oftentimes might be justified by the same sort of backstory...

Personally, my favorite way of approaching things like this is:

- explore the more common percentage of people who have the exact same disabilities/illnesses that manage to function normally in society (without, y'know, murdering people and shit)

- create a character where it's genuinely difficult to tell if they're supposed to be an antagonist or a protagonist

- I had a third point but I forgot

@Arynne so long as your character is unclaimed.

My understanding of the campfire is that it's a tradition where people go to get claimed.

And yeah, symbols should be whatever represents the god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back