• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

I think Aurther was damn good, but up at the top tier fighters a fight between them more often then not would end up in both of them dead or very injured, because even if one is struck down in the alst moment he may throw a blow disregarding his own life and kill the other guy as well. The battles between top tier unless theirs a huge difference in strength would most likely kill or highly injure both parties

Akio said:
I think Aurther was damn good, but up at the top tier fighters a fight between them more often then not would end up in both of them dead or very injured, because even if one is struck down in the alst moment he may throw a blow disregarding his own life and kill the other guy as well. The battles between top tier unless theirs a huge difference in strength would most likely kill or highly injure both parties
Eh, slightly disagree. Bobby B wasn't fatally injured on the Trident, just so that he needed to rest.

And Rhaegar is in my top 5-8 knights of all(/recent) time. Battles were quick, harsh, unforgiving back then. Striking someone moments before they hit you could end their momentum and leave them vulnerable for a follow up blow. Like, it's a minute-two minute battle, at most.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheAncientCenturion said:
I do think Arthur Dayne is the best knight in recent times. And that knights and figures like Ser Dunk, Aemon, and Daemon Targaryen are only so bloated because of legends and the mentality that they simply cannot be surpassed.
But Robert and a handful of other characters would give Arthur a pretty hard fight. But yeah, based on the information given, I do think he's the top dog. But in reality that doesn't mean you win every fight.

True, he was caught off guard. But he was thrashed so quickly for underestimating his opponent, I don't think it would of made any difference. Jon would be more defensive, yeah, the fight would of been prolonged. But Mance was just so effective in throwing him down. I'm iffy on placing him up there - for a plethora of reasons. But Jon's a skilled fighter, no Jaime or Brienne, but he's pretty good.
Can you imagine the difference it would've been at the Tower of Joy if Ned brought Robert with him? Or better, Robert refused to let Ned go get Lyanna without him? They might have saved her in time.

... Or Robert might have flew into a rage and killed her and Jon, either way, I feel like more people would've survived the fight on Ned's end.

I do think Arthur Dayne is the best knight in recent times. And that knights and figures like Ser Dunk, Aemon, and Daemon Targaryen are only so bloated because of legends and the mentality that they simply cannot be surpassed.
But Robert and a handful of other characters would give Arthur a pretty hard fight. But yeah, based on the information given, I do think he's the top dog. But in reality that doesn't mean you win every fight.

True, he was caught off guard. But he was thrashed so quickly for underestimating his opponent, I don't think it would of made any difference. Jon would be more defensive, yeah, the fight would of been prolonged. But Mance was just so effective in throwing him down. I'm iffy on placing him up there - for a plethora of reasons. But Jon's a skilled fighter, no Jaime or Brienne, but he's pretty good.
Oh he's definitely the best, no doubts there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Aemon was also the best in his time, and Daemon in his. The skill-bar of the best fighters is so small, that any could kill another on a good day, and lose to another on a bad day. Like Jaime vs Arthur, Arthur is definitely better, but there's always the relatively high chance Arthur will lose due to a simple misstep or bad luck.

You want to see any forum involving Arthur Dayne, I think his ability is generally blown up by the ASOIAF community where he's seen as invincible.

I agree about Jon though, he would have lost. But had the fight been prolonged it wouldn't have been the trashing we saw.

Eh, slightly disagree. Bobby B wasn't fatally injured on the Trident, just so that he needed to rest.
And Rhaegar is in my top 5-8 knights of all(/recent) time. Battles were quick, harsh, unforgiving back then.
Rhaegar was really good but even Bastian admitted he was more of a scholar then a warrior and Robert was a pure killing machine that was really ever good at one thing and that was killing and Robert was enraged before the fight began. And even then Robert still could not ride south because of his injuries, it was closer then some give it credit but i dont believe he would have beaten Robert most of the time in that particular situation

Archon said:
Oh he's definitely the best, no doubts there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Aemon was also the best in his time, and daemon in his. The skill-bar of the best fighters is so small, that any could kill another on a good day, and lose to another on a bad day. Like Jaime vs Arthur, Arthur is definitely better, but there's always the relatively high chance Arthur will ose due to a simple misstep or bad luck.
You want to see any forum involving Arthur Dayne, I think his ability is generally blown up by the ASOIAF community where he's seen as invincible.

I agree about Jon though, he would have lost. But had the fight been prolonged it wouldn't have been the trashing we saw.
I'm somewhat aware of the hype around him in the communities, but i largely use r/asoiaf, and that's not as cancerous. Prime Jaime versus Dayne is a very interesting fight. . . I definitely think Prime Jaime is close to Dayne, and surpasses Barry the Bold (at least in the skill department). I'm not sure who I'd favor more often than not.

I still think Jon would of buckled, and once that happened Mance would of came upon him like a crashing wave. Just it'd be after a bit more parring and counter strikes from Jon.

Akio said:
Rhaegar was really good but even Bastian admitted he was more of a scholar then a warrior and Robert was a pure killing machine that was really ever good at one thing and that was killing and Robert was enraged before the fight began. And even then Robert still could not ride south because of his injuries, it was closer then some give it credit but i dont believe he would have beaten Robert most of the time in that particular situation
I don't either, and Rhaegar is, in some ways, the perfect character. He has almost no flaws, everyone likes him, which makes me dubious of this record. We know for a fact he was a great rider and great singer. He unhorsed Barry and made Lyanna weep. So he's a top tier knight, but Robert's just a monster who can tear through people like tissue paper.

WanderingJester said:
Can you imagine the difference it would've been at the Tower of Joy if Ned brought Robert with him? Or better, Robert refused to let Ned go get Lyanna without him? They might have saved her in time.
... Or Robert might have flew into a rage and killed her and Jon, either way, I feel like more people would've survived the fight on Ned's end.
Robert hears Lyanna screaming. Robert enters his berserker state. Robert smashes Whent with a mighty swing of his hammer, but the Lord Commander gets the better of Robert's rear. Robert goes down.

He'd of been a liability, imo. He's too hot headed in a situation like that. If we factor out Lyanna. . He'd probably of helped monumentally. It's hard as fuck fighting someone in plate. yet alone a mammoth like him.

WanderingJester said:
Oh back to the arts stuff. Again, I really want to see a depiction of 1v1 in this RP. Perhaps Roland v Trevir in the bracket melee finals? To the caliber of Dunk the Tall against Lord Baratheon.
Duncan_Lyonel.jpg
Trust me, @Fezzes and I plan to entertain with our fight in the bracket melee.

[QUOTE="Ser Davos Seaworth]Alright, now that I've sufficiently insulted Godry and called Aerea a whore in the process I'm curious how this encounter will end

[/QUOTE]
A knife to Willy's ribs, most likely.

I don't either, and Rhaegar is, in some ways, the perfect character. He has almost no flaws, everyone likes him, which makes me dubious of this record. We know for a fact he was a great rider and great singer. He unhorsed Barry and made Lyanna weep. So he's a top tier knight, but Robert's just a monster who can tear through people like tissue paper.
I think he was better as a rider on foot as well, bit like Trevir. Still a good knight but less capable and the tilt of a joust is far more rule based then combat really is. As far as Rhaegar he reminds me of kind of a jack of all trade like Cayden and a really good fighter, but when compared to some of the other more combat focused people he loses out, and Robert also kind of just ignored armor and went "lol nope." He fucking got drunk and bedded every whore in the whorehouse during the battle of the bells and came out and forced cottingham to flee for his life. He was really a monster, if he was a bit more intelligent he would have been even more terrifying

I'm somewhat aware of the hype around him in the communities, but i largely use r/asoiaf, and that's not as cancerous. Prime Jaime versus Dayne is a very interesting fight. . . I definitely think Prime Jaime is close to Dayne, and surpasses Barry the Bold (at least in the skill department). I'm not sure who I'd favor more often than not.
I still think Jon would of buckled, and once that happened Mance would of came upon him like a crashing wave. Just it'd be after a bit more parring and counter strikes from Jon.

Robert hears Lyanna screaming. Robert enters his berserker state. Robert smashes Whent with a mighty swing of his hammer, but the Lord Commander gets the better of Robert's rear. Robert goes down.

He'd of been a liability, imo. He's too hot headed in a situation like that. If we factor out Lyanna. . He'd probably of helped monumentally. It's hard as fuck fighting someone in plate. yet alone a mammoth like him.
As an obvious Jaime fan, my opinion is slightly tainted similarly to most Arthur fans, but I think he's severely underrated because he's not as "morally good" as Barristan and Arthur. Most best fighter lists usually put Jaime around an overall of fourth or fifth place, but I'd put him at third, it's like you said, at the end of the day people like Aemon the Dragonknight and Daemon Blackfyre are victims of their own reputation - Arthur is to some degree too.

[QUOTE="Ser Davos Seaworth]Alright, now that I've sufficiently insulted Godry and called Aerea a whore in the process I'm curious how this encounter will end

[/QUOTE]
Yessir!

[/QUOTE]
Man....

The story was going so well until the last line!

Until the last line. :P

Archon said:
Man....
The story was going so well until the last line!

Until the last line. :P
Well William knows that the average person would fall for it, but if Godry already recognized her then he'd probably see right through it. So by insulting/threatening him William is probably hoping to scare off anyone not willing to die for no reason.

Archon said:
As an obvious Jaime fan, my opinion is slightly tainted similarly to most Arthur fans, but I think he's severely underrated because he's not as "good" Barristan and Jaime. Most best fighter lists usually put Jaime around an overall of fourth or fifth place, but I'd put him at third, it's likeyou said, at the end of the day people like Aemon the Dragonknight and daemon Blackfyre are victims of their own reputation - Arthur is, to some degree too.
Yessir!
Hrm...

This has me thinking, the best fighters in Westeros from the start of Bobby's Rebellion to the current. .

1. Arthur Dayne
  2. Robert Baratheon (Prime)
  3. Jaime Lannister
  4. Rhaegar Targaryen
  5. Barry the Bold
  6. Sandor Clegane
  7. Gregor Clegane
  8. Oberyn Martell
  9. Gerold Hightower "The White Bull"
  10. GreatJon Umber
  11. Barry the Old
  12. Garlan Tyrell
  13. Mance Rayder
  14. Loras Tyrell
  15. The Blackfysh
  16. Jon Snow
  17. Victarion Greyjoy
  18. Khal Drogo
  19. Syrio Forell
  20. Jorah Mormont

Red said:
Someone remind me what was happening with the joust tourney registration again. :/
You have to go through three tests to be admitted. The first is you have to hit a target three times. The second is you have to hit this moving target in a specific spot, which the a judge will look over, or hit it twice. And then lance a moving ring.

You can read the specifics in @WanderingJester's post.

Red said:
Someone remind me what was happening with the joust tourney registration again. :/
You can be in the joust, registration for that starts during the finals of the bracket melee and goes on until the end of the day.

[QUOTE="Ser Davos Seaworth]Well William knows that the average person would fall for it, but if Godry already recognized her then he'd probably see right through it. So by insulting/threatening him William is probably hoping to scare off anyone not willing to die for no reason.

[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I don't want to force a confrontation so unless you're fine with it unfolding that way, I'll have the patrol move on. It makes sense whichever, both ways suit Godrey's character.

Hrm...
This has me thinking, the best fighters in Westeros from the start of Bobby's Rebellion to the current. .

1. Arthur Dayne
  2. Robert Baratheon (Prime)
  3. Jaime Lannister
  4. Rhaegar Targaryen
  5. Barry the Bold
  6. Sandor Clegane
  7. Gregor Clegane
  8. Oberyn Martell
  9. Gerold Hightower "The White Bull"
  10. GreatJon Umber
  11. Barry the Old
  12. Garlan Tyrell
  13. Mance Rayder
  14. Loras Tyrell
  15. The Blackfysh
  16. Jon Snow
  17. Victarion Greyjoy
  18. Khal Drogo
  19. Syrio Forell
  20. Jorah Mormont
Mance Rayder but no Qhorin? :P

TheFordee14 said:
I still cannot believe they killed him in the show. Barristan is my life. And his chapters near the end of Dance were so great!
It's going to crush me when he dies. I feel like he won't make it back to Westeros alive.

Archon said:
Hmm, I don't want to force a confrontation so unless you're fine with it unfolding that way, I'll have the patrol move on. It makes sense whichever, both ways suit Godrey's character.
The Halfhand came as an after thought. He'd bump everyone down a level, being between Mance and Loras.

Archon said:
I don't mind either way, it was really a scare tactic to show that a group of well armed sell swords was ready and willing to fight your men despite the numbers advantage

It's going to crush me when he dies. I feel like he won't make it back to Westeros alive.
The Halfhand came as an after thought. He'd bump everyone down a level, being between Mance and Loras.
There's a fight I'd love to see.

Mance Rayder vs Qhorin Halfhand

Bonus Round: Qhorin Halfhand and Jon Snow/Alliser Thorne vs Mance Rayder and Tormund Gianstane

[QUOTE="Ser Davos Seaworth]I don't mind either way, it was really a scare tactic to show that a group of well armed sell swords was ready and willing to fight your men despite the numbers advantage

[/QUOTE]
Alrighty, I'll just write whichever comes more naturally.

Archon said:
There's a fight I'd love to see.
Mance Rayder vs Qhorin Halfhand

Bonus Round: Qhorin Halfhand and Jon Snow/Alliser Thorne vs Mance Rayder and Tormund Gianstane
Is Alliser Thorne that good? I thought he was always just the best of an average bunch.

The Night's Watch would probably win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back