• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The War Between Wolves

Ranulf01 said:
Relatively slow day it seems. Anyone do anything absolutely fascinatingly interesting?
Nope. Did you do anything absolutely fascinatingly interesting?

Zer0 said:
Nope. Did you do anything absolutely fascinatingly interesting?
I mean. Started my research paper on Artificial Intelligence personhood and machine learning. Mainly just topic proposal stuff though, so it's nothing too neat.

Ranulf01 said:
I mean. Started my research paper on Artificial Intelligence personhood and machine learning. Mainly just topic proposal stuff though, so it's nothing too neat.
Dude, that's really cool. What's AI Personhood and is that really possible?

It's more of a philosophical thing than anything else, although it also has a lot of legal ramifications. AI Personhood is the term I'm using for the idea that, in both a legal and philosophical sense, artificial intelligence will advance to the point where they quite literally are, well, people. It's based on the premise of Strong AI (that is, AI that doesn't just act a certain way due to inputs and outputs, but actually understands what it does. Check out "The Chinese Room" for a bit more on that.) and that our brains are nothing more than organic computers.

Obviously, from a legal standpoint, that means that eventually robots and such will be held accountable for their own autonomous actions. Philosophically, it challenges common perceptions of what makes a "person", considering that a sufficiently advanced computer could, in fact, pass the Turing Test and other conditions that we've established to be a person. That can of course develop into "what is the spark of life/what counts as alive", etc. etc. It's a pretty deep rabbit hole. : P

As far as whether it's possible, in my mind, absolutely. All evidence points to us approaching the so-called "Singularity", wherein technology advances at a staggeringly quick rate to the point where we, as mere humans, won't be able to keep pace. There's development on technologies for cerebral implants, (mainly focusing on prosthesis and such at present), but that can easily be changed into straight up enhancements. I'm especially looking forward to the possibility of essentially being able to digitize ourselves. Our consciousness and brain activity is just a bunch of electrical pulses in our brain, after all. It's not crazy to think that than can be transferred.

@Zer0

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranulf01 said:
It's more of a philosophical thing than anything else, although it also has a lot of legal ramifications. AI Personhood is the term I'm using for the idea that, in both a legal and philosophical sense, artificial intelligence will advance to the point where they quite literally are, well, people. It's based on the premise of Strong AI (that is, AI that doesn't just act a certain way due to inputs and outputs, but actually understands what it does. Check out "The Chinese Room" for a bit more on that.) and that our brains are nothing more than organic computers.
Obviously, from a legal standpoint, that means that eventually robots and such will be held accountable for their own autonomous actions. Philosophically, it challenges common perceptions of what makes a "person", considering that a sufficiently advanced computer could, in fact, pass the Turing Test and other conditions that we've established to be a person. That can of course develop into "what is the spark of life/what counts as alive", etc. etc. It's a pretty deep rabbit hole. : P

As far as whether it's possible, in my mind, absolutely. All evidence points to us approaching the so-called "Singularity", wherein technology advances at a staggeringly quick rate to the point where we, as mere humans, won't be able to keep pace. There's development on technologies for cerebral implants, (mainly focusing on prosthesis and such at present), but that can easily be changed into straight up enhancements. I'm especially looking forward to the possibility of essentially being able to digitize ourselves. Our consciousness and brain activity is just a bunch of electrical pulses in our brain, after all. It's not crazy to think that than can be transferred.

@Zer0
I read about the Chinese Room and also about the singularity theory. Has there ever been an instance where something was meaningfully intelligent, but it wasn't attached to a human?

Raven said:
((I wouldn't do that xD and alrighty is there anything I need to know about her personality?))
Everything you really need to know is in her character sheet. She's pretty much got an iron will and an incredible temper. Of course, she's kind of emotionally unstable at the moment, so once the fight is over, please tell me so I can come back in control.

RedLikeRoses said:
Everything you really need to know is in her character sheet. She's pretty much got an iron will and an incredible temper. Of course, she's kind of emotionally unstable at the moment, so once the fight is over, please tell me so I can come back in control.
Alright will do Cx. I'm tired and just awaiting for the next episode of the 100 to come on. Anyone a fan of the sci fi show? I can't be the only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back