The Inevitable Music Thread

uh oh

Solfi you missed one.

I merely dislike you on an instictual level.
"Instinctual"

Well!! The other day I was having sex with a nun while arguing the philosophies of the Libertarian polictical party.  Needless to say, I had fun.

:x  :shock:   :x  :shock:   :x  :shock:   :x  :shock:   :x  :shock: mmm mmm, some good humpin'

We were also listening to the soundtrack of Auto Assault, which is the only good part of the game.  It seems that only the bonuses of getting limited/collectors editions these days are worth buying the games.  Like the headphones that came in the box also... and in Guild Wars.

Back on the subject of music' date=' if you don't mind lyrics, try Korpiklaani...they're not half bad, and I think it really fits a Lunar game[/quote']
"Korpiklaani"? "Clan of the wilds"?

PartisanGerm said:
Solfi you missed one.
... I've seen plenty of spelling errors all over the place. But if I started correcting such minutiae, who would keep an eye on the Lesser Gods of Inflexion???

Solfi said:
"Korpiklaani"? "Clan of the wilds"?
They used to be a band called Shaman, but they changed their style a bit and added a new member, and became Korpiklaani. They're from Finland...I'm not sure what kind of music it's defined as, but I've heard it called 'folk metal' alot. It's pretty sweet...find the song "Wooden Pints" from their album "Spirit of the Forest" if you can.

Resurrection!!!

Alrighty, I need some good middle eastern arabian i don't know what the hell to call it type music for a game taking place in the south. Any ideas?

Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ has some really cool stuff that sounds Middle Eastern/Arabian. If you don't want the electronic feel to the music, there's a "sources" album where the sources he used for the album are used. That's pure Middle Eastern.

If you don't mind your Middle Eastern music with a little but of surf mixed in, try Secret Chiefs 3.

Along similar lines (for a couple of reasons), check out Desert Search for Techno Allah by Mr. Bungle.

Useful sound tracks:

Hellraiser – danger

Terminator 2 – Autochthon combat

Elizabeth – sneaky, combat, dance

1492 – journeys, nice for Aztec barbarians

The Epic Film Music of Miklos Roza – epic, marches, love themes

Cinema Choral Classics – spiritual, combat, exaltation music.

I use music for all our games, I could list about 100 cds.

Nine inch Nails instrumentals from Still, and the Fragile are excellent moody tracks.

I also use Insomnium to get jazzed up. Same for workouts.

Apocalyptica is great.

I really want the Halo 3 soundtrack, and Half Life 2 had some dynamic music in it as well. Heroic stuff.

This post had no structure.

The original quake game could be played in a cd machine, and was excellent mood music.

jademonkeytechnique said:
Nine inch Nails instrumentals from Still, and the Fragile are excellent moody tracks.
I also use Insomnium to get jazzed up. Same for workouts.

Apocalyptica is great.

I really want the Halo 3 soundtrack, and Half Life 2 had some dynamic music in it as well. Heroic stuff.

This post had no structure.

I love having music in the background, but I hate it if it has vocals as it can be distracting.

I feel I am too picky sometimes, because there are a *lot* of songs i hear, that the music would be fantastic, but has vocals (and hence, would annoy me in a game). I have always, always, wondered if there was a way to use some kind of sound editor to *rip* the voice lyrics out, and keep the rest of the song.

Probably beyond my ken however, with my craft(computer) being a measly 1.

if you have a computer that can run pro tools, most of NIN songs are available to rip and remix LEGALLY. This is because Reznor wants to encourage more people being creative with music, even if its his.

If you want good music without vocals, I like to fall back on the classics with Mozart, Bach, and Holst.

jademonkeytechnique said:
if you have a computer that can run pro tools, most of NIN songs are available to rip and remix LEGALLY. This is because Reznor wants to encourage more people being creative with music, even if its his.
Thanks, I've never heard of pro tools but i'll check it out.

I use the soundtracks the following movies and games and CDs, exclusively, for all my needs in Exalted:  ( Sorry for repeats, they are here for the completeness )

Movies:

The Last Samurai

Curse of the Golden Flower

House of Flying Daggers

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Hero

Fearless

Games:

Jade Empire

Civilization 4 ( For the Harborhead soundtracks. I use the ancient melodies )

CD-collection:

Masters of Zen

I could never use any classic music or music with vocals from a modern setting, it would feel extremely odd. Sometimes I accept vocals, but then they have to be of in japanese, chinese or some other language that works well with the region we are in. I always work with region-specific music so that when returning to the Empire after a long time gone, everyone can lean back, listen to the music that tells them that they are home and go "Finally, civilization!"

If you want something instrumental, fast paced and somewhat exotic (well, flamenco-esque) I recommend Rodrigo Y Gabriela.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPhVpIlc1vs

and for the Metallica fans amongst us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7c2cHA5aNc

They're Mexican, but we Irish sort of like to adopt them since they were living and busking in Dublin when they made the album and it came out here first. It's pretty impressive considering there's no instrumentation on the album except for their guitars (and a guest violin player at one point).

Damn you, Chaka! Now I may have to go out and buy the Rodrigo and Gabriela cd! And me without money!

Seriously, though, that song they did on Lettermen friggin' cranked. Thanks for that.

Thought I might throw in my input.

Unless noted otherwise everyone of these recommendations have no words, so as not to ruin the ambiance during the game.~

-Bands

-Cradle of Filth --- Always a good for the Underworld or a really evil place.

-Bitter Suites to Succubi

-Sin Deep My Wicked Angel

-Dinner at Deviant's Palace

-Cruelty and the Beast

-Once Upon Atrocity

-Venus in Fear ~ This is a good one however I HIGHLY recommend listening to this whole track before using it, you'll hear why.

-Portrait of the Dead Countess

-Dusk and Her Embrace

-Humana Inspired to Nightmare

-The Graveyard By Moonlight

-Camilla's Masque

-Lovecraft & Witch Hearts (first disk of the two)

-Creatures That Kissed in Cold Mirrors

-Midian

-At the Gates of Midian ~ The ONLY bad part of this one is that it's the intro for Cthulhu Dawn, so it would abruptly stop if played by itself.

-Satanic Mantra ~ Not a song but a short 1 minute chant, would be good for... well whatever you think of.

-Nymphetamine

-Satyriasis ~ Music with some "dark prophecy" in the back ground for a few seconds.

-Painting Flowers White Never Suited My Palette

-Dragonlord

-Rapture

-Vals de la Muerte [instrumental] ~ Very good dark ballroom feeling.

-Graveworm

-As The Angels Reach The Beauty

-Ceremonial Requiem ~ Very, very good instrumental song.  Feels like funeral or the like (hence the name).

-Pandemonium ~ Good tribal feeling.

-Engraved in Black

-Thorns of Desolation ~ Has a Celtic "marching off to war" feel.

-Apparition of Sorrow

-[N]utopia

-Deep Inside ~ Good feel if inside Autochthonia.

-Scourge of Malice

-Dreaded Time

-Ars Diaboli ~ Good for a cathedral feel.

-Midnight Syndicate --- This almost every album from this band is very dark except for the D&D one, which varies in nature.

-The 13th Hour

-Born of the Night

-Dungeons & Dragons: Official Roleplaying Soundtrack

-Gates of Delirium

-Realm of Shadows

-Vampyres: Symphonies From the Crypt

-Neurosis ~ Most of Neurosis's instrumental (and some intro and outro songs) music has a very tribal drum feeling to it.

-Sovereign

-Flood

-Through Silver In Blood

-Sustenace ~ You need the import version (I got mine from Japan) for this song.

-Nox Arcana --- From the only Cd I have I would say this band is very similar to Midnight Syndicate, but very good none-the-less.

-Darklore Manor

-Summoning ~ If you can use the program jademonkeytechnique was talking about with the NIN songs then you would have yourself a HUGE array of background music that would fit most any game.

GAME, MOVIE AND ANIME SOUNDTRACKS:

-Movie ~ Movie soundtracks are a love/hate thing for me, and it's really hard for me to really like a soundtrack... +7 difficulty with only 5 dice to roll would be an accurate way to describe it in Exalted terms.

-Resident Evil: Music From and Inspired By the Motion Picture ~ The list below has the actual music played in the movie.

-Track 1- Red Queen ~ Good for telling your group hell's about to break loose.

-Track 17- Resident Evil (Main Title Theme)

-Track 18- Seizure of Power ~ I LOVE this track.  Great for a fighting scene (or a workout track if you need one ^.^)!

-Track 19- Reunion

-Track 20- Cleansing

-Anime ~

-Akira Symphonic Suite OST

-Elfen Lied OST[/b] ~ The first and last songs which are Lilium (opening version) and Lilium (saint version), they're both sung in Latin and the first by a woman with music and the second is a cappella by what sounds like monks.

-Wolf's Rain OST ~ Except for tracks 1, 3, 8, 9, 13, 14, 19 & 20.

-Game ~ First off, anything scored by Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears Etc.), he's brilliant when it comes to music.

-Assassin's Creed ~ Great soundtrack!  Tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 8 & 9 are free from the Ubisoft A.C. website: http://assassinscreed.us.ubi.com/soundtrack/ (the password is Target).

-Final Fantasy VII OST ~ 4 disks for a great versatile list of songs.

-Quake I ~ I got a demo disk a LONG time ago when the first Quake was about to come out.  It turned out tracks 2-11 were music which was scored by Trent Reznor.  Great dark soundtrack for Autochthonia or whatever you come up with.

-Classical ~ You can't be the original masters of music.

Hope this helps some of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back