• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Empowered - A Superpowers Hosted Project

AllHailDago

Rough Tough Creampuff
@Atom @CJ Mason

I've been plotting this for some time. But never considered it seriously until recently when I received quite the amount of positive feedback. So before I decide to bring it to staff I want to get a public opinion.

Originally it'd start in only one city to make in game timezones less a in game problem. Characters go to bed after living their everyday lives. Whether you be a student, doctor, lawyer, etc. But inexplicably random members (haha) of the general populace will wake up to discover throughout their day that they have new and unbelievable abilities.

People must work out whether to hide it and live their lives as before. Or be in the open. Hero? Villain? That's to be decided as each person tries to test and master their new abilities.

Meanwhile the government is starting a new task force known as the Empowered Humans Response Unit. With a purpose of documenting and defending civilians from the Empowered, they will be both friend and foe at different times. They'll even try recruiting Empowered with strong senses of justice and peacekeeping.

This is the base premise for the start of the rp. But don't fret. At this time 10 arcs are laid out. Which each would be at least several months in length most likely. There will be villains galore. Twists. Intrigue.

As well as possible character death. Hell. Likely character death in some cases. There'll be threads you can't enter unless you accept that you can die. But fret not, the Story tellers and I aren't going to just gank you. Unless you are looking for that? In which case, pm me so we can work out a dramatic death to scare your friends!

Speaking of Storytellers. As you might have noticed in the tags Atom and CJMason have already agreed to be STs for this. Excellent choices, eh? As things expand and become more stable more STs may be accepted. If interested, say so and I'll keep you in mind.

Further details. There will be a couple options for what powers you will have. But keep in mind at the start no one will have them quite yet, so no backstory should involve power use unless your joining after said events.

The powers will be ranked 1-5. Here are the scale examples.

1- Mundane abilities that seem almost useless in many situations, especially battle. Applied correctly these would give you an advantage over a single or maybe a couple of nonpowered people in combat.

Examples: 360 vision, enhanced reflexes, enhanced senses, etc

2- These abilities go beyond human. Clearly you are possessed of an ability that sets you apart. Most abilities here and above have at least some measure of combat application. Only the best of humans could beat you in single combat, but likely you could handle a dozen or so before being pushed.

Examples: Super strength, invisibility, iron skin, etc

3- Well above even other Empowered, these abilities are normally exceptional for battle application. Dangerous and intimidating, often they may take some sort of supernatural form. Likely it would take a concentrated effort of several Empowered or a hundred+ humans to challenge you.

Examples: Intangibility, Teleportation, creating or manipulating a specific element, etc

4(randoms only)- These abilities are highly rare. Immediately warranting fear and awe by even strong Empowered. Battle applications are given. Humans and empowers alike would have to combine their efforts to give you pause. And they still might not.

Examples: Telepathy, Weather Control, Mass Manipulation, etc

5(randoms only, highly moderated as well)- God like abilities beyond or almost beyond understanding. Such abilities can when controlled well, or even when not, lay waste to armies worth of people. Or possibly more.

Examples: Destruction, Molecular Manipulation, Omnilock, etc

As you see 4 and 5 says random only. I was originally gonna make all characters require randomly given powers. But I decided against it. Instead I found a way to allow choice, but emphasize the awesomeness of choosing random.

If you choose your powers you may have a total = to 5 total, split between three total powers ranked 3 or below. Aka 3 1's, or a 2 and two 1's, or a 3 and a 2. Powers will be discussed between you and myself, or a ST. But 4s or 5s will not be accepted under any circumstances for choice pc's.

If you choose random I personally go to powerlisting.wikia.com and random page around to give you your powers. Should you be lucky you will land a 4 or 5. If not you will get random powers below that totaling 6 rather than 5. A bit more enticing then choice in my opinion. But the choice is yours. (Please choose random? :c)

So who finds this an exciting prospect? It may be sooner rather than later. It might be a couple months off. Either way I'd like to take stock of public opinion. Get some of you on board. Tease you with withheld information like I'm doing to my STs. ^w^ Heres looking forward to your opinions.

~0o0~

Last edited by a moderator:
Me! Me! Me! Me! ME! ME! ME!

Before I get too excited, how much will you have to write per post? I don't (*can't) do walls of text.

aAAUUUGHHGHH I CAN HARDLY MAKE ONE

WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE ROLEPLAY I RUN INTO REQUIRE SO MANY WORDS

Hmm......looks interesting, I think I may be able to join this...

2 questions before I join:

Can you give me an exact list of the powers and their tiers?

Where are the following powers ranked?

Sonokinesis

Power negation

Speedster

Thermokinesis

and finally, indomitable will?

(All from the wiki)

[QUOTE="Salt Lord]What would photokinesis be in?

[/QUOTE]
Most likely somewhere between tier 3 or 4. It would be quite powerful to control the transmission of information, but if we put general relativity and string theory into account, the power is simply too uncontrollable.

If I were allowed to choose tier 4 or 5 powers, my personal favorite would be Higgs Field Manipulation...

(A note to op: you shouldn't have omnipotence, telekinesis or any kind of reality manipulation users, it would be too OP(I.e. Reality manipulators may resurrect themselves by thinking that the moment(when the user is about to die) is a dream.)

Yes, I am fully aware of that, just wanted to subtly suggest that information is transmitted through light(if we use the scientific definition)

Really? :o

I've never heard of a case where we used light to transmit information... can you give an example?

In science,

Light = electromagnetic wave

Hence, all digital devices basically use forms of light.

And also your own eyeballs.

Oh, almost forgot, gamma radiation is an electromagnetic wave, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhhh. You mean the simple kind of information.

Can we not get all science-y with this...?

Ya know, there's the almighty molecular manipulation and weather manipulation on just the op's examples, it would be impossible to leave out science when you're talking about molecules...

But... but... D:

Fine. If we're getting all science-y... I know a way to turn a Rank 3 into a Rank 5! > :D

@Thaumaturge

A.) To list every power and their tier would take a very long time

B)Sonokinesis - 3-4 based on how you are trying to use it. Character chosen powers need to be defined well when you are claiming a power. Like super strength could be anything from lifting two people to lifting a book of infinite weight. Two very different levels.

Power negation - 4

Speedster - this is not on powerlisting but if you wan time traveling fast, 5. Super speed is like strength. Define how fast/limits. And the rank changes.

Thermokinesis- 3 or 4 depending

Indomitable will- 4

Photokinesis- 3 or 4 depending

Also please refrain from tangents and linking in the interest check. This is for questions/interests of this rp only.

If you choose photokinesis, can you solidify light? Or is that a little too overpowered?

If you mean like firing laser blasts? Then yes.

If you mean like making a bridge or constructs our of light, it would be too much off the bat. But eventually could be possible for your character. Hello the lasers might be based on the length of time you commit your character to training and actively participating in the Story. And bonus points will frequently be rewarded for creativity and improvisation. Even a person with only a couple level ones could fight the major villains with enough ingenuity. Its be illadvised, but possible.

For those who wish to ask about laws of physics and what not. Rule of cool will be in effect sometimes as by superpowers very nature laws of reality are broken.

Those who choose to random will be my favorite!

It's also way more fun! Cause what's the point of people waking up with powers if they all match personalities and life experience?! That's no fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back