• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Tales of the Dragoon

Beowulf said:
Sorry, brain went dead there for a second. Alright? I have it all picked out. Should I just make a small, seperate part on my character sheet for Buras? And also, what is an appropriate size dragon for what I want him to carry? Mostly just a tent and a few smaller knick-knacks. And some food, never forget food.
The largest Dragons in captivity are around 12' at the shoulder (not counting the neck and head) and are up to around 50' from nose to tail. I'd recommend that yours be at least 7' at the shoulder and around 40' long.

Done... And thank you for editing. Also added something to get the basics of Buras.

@DergTheDergon and @Moonstruck you guys have been chosen to make a character. So stop staring at this thread and do it.

Oh, and one more question that may or may not be important. Do dragon master dragons wear armor at all? It might be needed in the future, you never know. Or is their skin tough enough to be their armor?

Beowulf said:
Done... And thank you for editing. Also added something to get the basics of Buras.

@DergTheDergon and @Moonstruck you guys have been chosen to make a character. So stop staring at this thread and do it.

Oh, and one more question that may or may not be important. Do dragon master dragons wear armor at all? It might be needed in the future, you never know. Or is their skin tough enough to be their armor?
The Dragon's scales are their armor. No weapons made by humanoids, save for those using special materials, can pierce them.

zCrookedz said:
Im outnumbered by elves now. -.- greeeaaaaat. lol awsome CS @Beowulf. How many people are we waiting for to start @Kyero?
Sadly it doesn't look like anyone else who expressed interest has chosen to join, so we will not wait for them. We will begin the RP tomorrow once I have had a chance to do a final glossing over of the RP's mechanics and such to make sure everything is in order, and we can start.

Hate it when that happens. I had an interest thread up and people were interested. But when I made the actual rp, no one signed up. Nearly had to shut it down and try again. Luckily I nagged enough people, ones that I knew and the ones that were interested, into joining and some randoms joined so I was good to start it.

Beowulf said:
Hate it when that happens. I had an interest thread up and people were interested. But when I made the actual rp, no one signed up. Nearly had to shut it down and try again. Luckily I nagged enough people, ones that I knew and the ones that were interested, into joining and some randoms joined so I was good to start it.
That's happened quite a few times for me, sadly.

From my experience the only thing this site really lacks is a method for keeping the role-players engaged when they aren't part of role-plays. They have access to everything they need, but no incentive other than "There are role-plays here in these threads! Come and join some!" As a role-player, I need more than just the promise of a role-play, know what I mean? I need the promise of something more, but the Interest Check can only do so much and sometimes the role-plays themselves just aren't up to my standards so I pass them by.

I kind of wish there was a stronger advertising method for the role-plays such as a "Role-play of the week" to keep the most promising ones in the spotlight for a time long enough to gain people's interest. People are more inclined to join a role-play when they know that either the GM has clout, or the role-play itself is acknowledged by people of importance such as the staff of the site. The "Role-play of the month" is nice, but it doesn't come around often enough for people to really appreciate the RP's worth. They see, "Oh, rp of the month eh? Nice." And then they keep moving. Maybe they check it out, maybe they don't. Keeping a stronger advertising method going and having it more often is a better method for acquiring attention for new and promising role-plays in my opinion.

But oh well.

Beowulf said:
I might know of a sight that is what you are looking for. I can pm you about it.
I know of a few sites which do it, one of which I'm a member of. Still, I think it would be a good policy to adopt for this site.

Ok, I won't be on much tomorrow. Unless you play Planetside 2 and live in America or Austrailia, you would not understand. But I'd be happy to explain if you ask.

Time to look at the characters one more time.

Cam you put a list of the names of all thing Kings, Queens, and the Dragon Master Chief? From what I've read of your edit of the third or fourth paragraph says that the elven King and Queen set up a meeting with the Chief and Tyr. Now, I could have read that wrong, but still. We're going to meet with royalty eventually.

Beowulf said:
Time to look at the characters one more time.

Cam you put a list of the names of all thing Kings, Queens, and the Dragon Master Chief? From what I've read of your edit of the third or fourth paragraph says that the elven King and Queen set up a meeting with the Chief and Tyr. Now, I could have read that wrong, but still. We're going to meet with royalty eventually.
@Beowulf

EDIT: The King and Queen of the Nation your character receives his Dragon mount from is up to you at this point. There are too many options in this RP for me to list them off, especially with Fallen Gods demanding similar (if not the same) information. So go ahead and create their names for yourself.

The Dragonmaster Chief is only the Dragonmaster Chief of the nation your character is in, and is not the Dragonmaster Chief of all Dragonmasters. Every continent has multiple Dragonmaster Academies and training grounds in various nations. So the name of your particular Dragonmaster is up to you.

Aaaaaand the intro post is up!!

That was fun!

So for those who are wondering, this incident took place in a city called Dunmetaal. It's a city located within the boundaries of the Kingdom of Foresah, the Mother Kingdom named after the continent itself. The city is a human city, and is around a three week trip by horseback from the northern coast.

My character, Elena, is now walking the North bound paths in hopes of finding a good port city and a shipmaster brave enough to take her to Dragon's Cove so that she might find the legendary Gateway to the Higher Plane which the Dragons are believed to guard with their lives. Not something most would be willing to do.

If you want to meet up with Elena, the best thing to do is to have had your character located in Dunmetaal for business or pleasure, whichever trikes your fancy, and witness the event with Era and the dark being. Keep your distance long enough for Era to have said goodbye to her friends and sent her message, and now that she's walking alone along the path it's a better time to talk to her.

But that's only if you want to take the direct approach. If you want to meet up some other way, contact me and we'll figure something out.

Let me get my post ready. Three paragraphs with five sentences each, yeah? Good thing I have a dragon to talk to.

zCrookedz said:
My post seemed to have changed a bit with the layout, hmmmmmm >.>
Separating the giant bundle of content into bits was my doing. You're welcome!

The reason being is it's easier to read. A giant wall of text is hard on the eyes and tedious to read as it sends a psychological message that "I have A LOT to take in here," and that's not good for readers. Best to separate complete ideas into bits rather than bunch them all together.

So for example:

"He continued to glance around at the different shops that lined the main road as he ate his breakfast. The melted honey butter on the top of each roll had seeped down into the bread and created a delightful taste that reminded Brogden of his mother’s cooking. He savored each roll before, until after a short time he was down to his last one. He shifted it in the pack and decided that he would save that one for later and continued to look around the shops. Brogden would try to avoid the other dwarven folks, including their shops, when at all possible. The less amount of chances that he gave for his people to stare and mock him the better he would feel about his situation. Only until he made it to a human blacksmith shop did he stop to actually look. It was a simple forge, nothing spectacular like that of the dwarven forges back home, but it served its purpose as far as he could tell. He was just about to brandish a small dagger that was placed for viewing of the public when the sky began to darken unexpectedly. Brogden placed the dagger back on the counter and watched the sky as many others were as the clouds began to shift and part from what appeared to be a rip in the sky. Brogden was awe struck as he watched something emerge from the rip and land behind a wall of houses. He wasted no time, being as short as he was in an otherwise taller place, he darted in-between legs and under carts until he made it to an alleyway. He zipped between buildings until finally he came out on the other side of a home behind the creature that had fallen from the sky. Brogden glanced around as a crowd began to form in front of him. "OY!! I cannot see ya baw bags!!" The crowd ignored his colorful language and he knew he would have to find another way. Looking around he spied a stack of boxes that towered over the crowd by a good five feet. Scrambling as fast as he could, Brogden grabbed his pickax from his duster and jumped high as he could into the air. Barely landing above a normal man’s chest when he sunk the tip of his pickaxe into the box, he stuck his left hand out of his duster pocket and latched onto the boxes with pointed fingers. After only a few moments of climbing he reached the top of the boxes and gazed across the crowed at the monster."

That's a lot of text, and nobody who looks at that is going to actually want to read it all the way through. Psychologically, it's just too much of a chore to read a giant hunk of words like that.

So what I'd like you to start doing with your posts is separating key ideas/events into bits, so that giant lumps of words like this are done away with.

The first paragraph is about what he's seeing around the city as he walks the streets. The second paragraph, beginning with "He was just about to brandish a small dagger" is what starts the event with the sky darkening. Dialogue should be separated from narrative, as it's very easy to miss it completely when it's buried in a giant wall of words. But back on topic, the two ideas are completely separate ideas and events which should not be lumped together. Does that make sense? Window shopping/walking the streets is one event/idea, and the darkening and tearing of the skies to make way for the dark figure is another event/idea. It would be best to separate them (and the dialogue) like so:

"He continued to glance around at the different shops that lined the main road as he ate his breakfast. The melted honey butter on the top of each roll had seeped down into the bread and created a delightful taste that reminded Brogden of his mother’s cooking. He savored each roll before, until after a short time he was down to his last one. He shifted it in the pack and decided that he would save that one for later and continued to look around the shops. Brogden would try to avoid the other dwarven folks, including their shops, when at all possible. The less amount of chances that he gave for his people to stare and mock him the better he would feel about his situation. Only until he made it to a human blacksmith shop did he stop to actually look. It was a simple forge, nothing spectacular like that of the dwarven forges back home, but it served its purpose as far as he could tell.

He was just about to brandish a small dagger that was placed for viewing of the public when the sky began to darken unexpectedly. Brogden placed the dagger back on the counter and watched the sky as many others were as the clouds began to shift and part from what appeared to be a rip in the sky. Brogden was awe struck as he watched something emerge from the rip and land behind a wall of houses. He wasted no time, being as short as he was in an otherwise taller place, he darted in-between legs and under carts until he made it to an alleyway. He zipped between buildings until finally he came out on the other side of a home behind the creature that had fallen from the sky. Brogden glanced around as a crowd began to form in front of him.

"OY!! I cannot see ya baw bags!!" The crowd ignored his colorful language and he knew he would have to find another way.

Looking around he spied a stack of boxes that towered over the crowd by a good five feet. Scrambling as fast as he could, Brogden grabbed his pickax from his duster and jumped high as he could into the air. Barely landing above a normal man’s chest when he sunk the tip of his pickaxe into the box, he stuck his left hand out of his duster pocket and latched onto the boxes with pointed fingers. After only a few moments of climbing he reached the top of the boxes and gazed across the crowed at the monster.
"

This format and method of separating dialogue and narrative into their key components and ideas makes reading it much easier and much more enjoyable for everyone. Giant walls of text are daunting and tedious, so do take care to watch your format and make sure to keep singular ideas and activities separate from one another. If, for instance, your character is buying something and talking with the store owner, then walks to an inn to rent a night's stay, then goes out for a bite to eat, make all of those events their own paragraph and separate all dialogue as necessary to keep it smooth and flowing so that your readers can look forward to the advancement of what you have provided them.

phew, now that was alot to take in. but i see your point, Ill have to modify my writting style when i type here to fit that a little better. thanks for the input, always happy to learn something new about writting.

Beowulf said:
Someone, give me a reason for why Tyr is there in the first place. I can take it from there.
Business. Pleasure. Vacation. Answering the call to a duel. Anything really that explains why he'd be there even if only meant to be there for a single day.

Continue as you were. Don't know how to respond to that, simply because he would have to do a complete 180 to investigate. He'll just chalk it up as another thing he'll have to report. He'll be waiting in the port.

Beowulf said:
Continue as you were. Don't know how to respond to that, simply because he would have to do a complete 180 to investigate. He'll just chalk it up as another thing he'll have to report. He'll be waiting in the port.
A bolt of lightning from the heavens on a bright and clear sunny day is just another thing to report? The appearance of a physical being he can do something about (or think he can do something about anyway) isn't cause to stop and check things out? For all he knows this is the being he missed earlier come to physical form.

I think he has reason to check it out.

Plus, his Dragon will sense the presence of a real Dragoon and inform him that's what just landed here. There's no way a Dragonmaster will be able to resist meeting a real Dragoon, as that's the being which their entire corps was founded to aspire to be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back