• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy RedStone - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
The intent I had with my character's whim is that he can change the shape (effectively what I referred to as mass), and density of an object. He can't change the properties of it because that would require knowledge of knowing individual atoms and a whole lot of other science that if we went by your character's standards(?); would make my character an actual scientist.

For him, it would be impossible to create something out of thin air, he could turn a piece of grass into maybe the size of a leaf but not the intangible non-physical concept of light that through science is hard to explain what I mean but just think Plato's Theory of Knowledge.

TL'DGAS: Can't make something out of nothing, requires an actual tangible, physical piece of matter to use. (I don't know much about science but I'm hoping you understand what I'm getting at.)
Yeah but it wouldn't require much knowledge to say, get a bit of iron change it's mass to match gold then boom you got gold. Since mass depends on the number of protons and neutrons you could definitely turn something into just about anything. I will accept that you need advanced knowledge of atoms to be able to do crazy stuff like that though. Good on you throwing my own rules back at me.

Yeah but it wouldn't require much knowledge to say, get a bit of iron change it's mass to match gold then boom you got gold. Since mass depends on the number of protons and neutrons you could definitely turn something into just about anything. I will accept that you need advanced knowledge of atoms to be able to do crazy stuff like that though. Good on you throwing my own rules back at me.
I'm no science guy, but I thought it was the material composition itself that was determined by the protons/neutrons of an atom, and the mass of something is just how compact said material happens to be?

Just defending my whim is all.

I'm no science guy, but I thought it was the material composition itself that was determined by the protons/neutrons of an atom, and the mass of something is just how compact said material happens to be?
Mass is usually referred to as weight and many other things. I think what you're thinking of is density.

No mass is based on the number of atoms so changing the number of atoms changes the element itself. His description uses mass but what he is trying to descrip is changing somethings shape not its mass.
Mass is usually referred to as weight and many other things. I think what you're thinking of is density.
Mass is number of atoms what you are thinking of is just weight, also don't worry I am not bashing you just making a distinction

Ah, right. Still, I don't see how changing the weight of something also changes its material
Like I said, many other things. Mass is also determined by protons and neutrons which is just fancy stuff for saying atoms with circles and nucleus and stuff from highschool that I still barely understand.

No mass is based on the number of atoms so changing the number of atoms changes the element itself. His description uses mass but what he is trying to descrip is changing somethings shape not its mass.
Changing the number of atoms...? I'm not sure what you mean. By that logic, I could reach up to the ceiling fan in my living room, tear off a part of it, and it'd be made of something completely different because the object now has a different number of atoms inside it

Changing the number of atoms...? I'm not sure what you mean. By that logic, I could reach up to the ceiling fan in my living room, tear off a part of it, and it'd be made of something completely different because the object now has a different number of atoms inside it
No even if you do that the element the fan is made of still has the same protons and neutrons no matter how much iron you tear off a piece of iron it will still be iron

No even if you do that the element the fan is made of still has the same protons and neutrons no matter how much iron you tear off a piece of iron it will still be iron
But that's protons and neutrons. You said atoms

But my point still holds since somethings mass is the number of protons and neutrons an element has so changing it changes the element

But my point still holds since somethings mass is the number of protons and neutrons an element has so changing it changes the element
Hmm, alright. I didn't know that's how that worked, but I guess that makes sense.

Sorry if I'm asking really obvious questions XD My specialty is in pretend magical forces. And Fairies.

I am a nerd so yeah. Sorry if I got preachy I just feel it's important to know. So Remembrance Remembrance I think you should change Mass to Shape as it would be more accurate and less confusing because based on what I described everyone thinks you can change somethings element which is kinda op

I am a nerd so yeah. Sorry if I got preachy I just feel it's important to know. So Remembrance Remembrance I think you should change Mass to Shape as it would be more accurate and less confusing because based on what I described everyone thinks you can change somethings element which is kinda op
Yeah. Science for me was never my strong suit and apparently I'm just bad at english so words and their synonyms just kinda blend together.

Or density as well. An object can be more dense while preserving its element, right?

Also no problem XD Believe me, I get very much the same way when it comes to fandoms I like and such

Yeah. Science for me was never my strong suit and apparently I'm just bad at english so words and their synonyms just kinda blend together.
Its ok I don't want to talk down to you or make you feel stupid just think of it as learning something new

Or density as well. An object can be more dense while preserving its element, right?

Also no problem XD Believe me, I get very much the same way when it comes to fandoms I like and such
Yes an object can be more dense but maintain its element

Most of the time density stay the same even if you increase the protons and neutrons because they increase at the same rate but density can change with temperature and pressure but the element is maintained. It would just be gas or liquid

Most of the time density stay the same even if you increase the protons and neutrons because they increase at the same rate but density can change with temperature and pressure but the element is maintained. It would just be gas or liquid
But is it possible to compress the atoms themselves further than they would normally be? That's what I'm thinking, here. If not then ignore me and go back to what you were doing XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back