• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern OPERATION MAVERICK

sunshineintoveins

That's Rough, Buddy

OPERATION MAVERICK
A futuristic superpower crime roleplay

a996a65b3f6ea8e1880143ca4743dc27.jpg

THE PLAGUE

100 years ago, a deadly plague called the Ryker virus consumed the world killing millions and infecting more with agonizing symptoms. All hope seemed lost until a vaccine named Sirona was developed and cured the sick in a matter of days. The world seemed to be returning to normal until the people who were once sick began developing strange but extraordinary powers. Cases of superpowered humans appeared all over the world and they all had one common factor; the vaccine. The Sinora vaccine cured the virus but caused cells to mutate in ways they never had before. Those who were sick and hungry for power started riots at hospitals and stole the vaccine from medical facilities in order to use it on themselves. Irresponsible people with powers became more frequent and caused chaos and destruction with their new abilities. The remaining vaccines were immediately gathered and destroyed by the government leaving those who still suffered from the plague to die, but those with the side effect lived on to reproduce. Although the government managed to exterminate most traces of the vaccine, rumor has it that some of it still lingers on. Those with powers were named “Mavericks” and segregated into secluded neighborhoods and for those with particularly dangerous powers, were kept in special facilities. Over the next 100 years, Mavericks protested their rights and were slowly let back into society. The specialized hospitals for uncontrollable Mavericks still operate despite the many attempts to get them shut down. Eventually Sinora was available again in limited quantities at a high price through a special pharmacy or obtained illegally through black market trade, but it is still very hard and expensive to obtain.

Timeline

2016 - Ryker plague outbreak

2018 - Sinora vaccine developed

2020 - Emergence of the first Mavericks

2022 - Sinora vaccine no longer available to the public

2023 - Mavericks are segregated from society

2027 - Maverick protests and riots escalate

2030 - Mavericks begin to assimilate back into society

2042 - Maverick restricting laws lifted or amended

2058 - Establishment of the MCB

2059 - Anti-Maverick groups emerge and go public

2061 - Technological revolution and the establishment of Columbia as the new capital

2079 - Sinora available to the public again through the government

2081 - Sinora releases onto the black market

2086 - Mavericks fully assimilate back into society

2114 - Pseudo-Sinora starts infecting humans

2116 - Operation Maverick forms to combat PS

MAVERICK CRIME BUREAU

In the year 2058, a new law enforcement agency, the MCB, was put into place to accommodate for Maverick criminals. Your character will have the choice of being one of these three.

Inspectors

These highly trained detectives are humans who specialized in Maverick related crime. With new technology, Inspectors are able to detect who is a Maverick using a device in their guns but not their specific power. They must go through rigorous training of four years in order to become an Inspector. Their job is to arrest Malefactors and keep the Hounds' powers in check.

Hounds

These detectives are Mavericks who work along side Inspectors and use their powers to arrest Malefactors. They are more restricted than Inspectors and rely on their Inspector due to their possibly destructive nature. They must go through a long series of tests and training that takes five years to complete before they can become a Hound.

Malefactors

Malefactor is the name for a Maverick who commits a high level crime and must be dealt with by the MCB. These criminals use their power to break the law and if arrested are placed in highly secure prison that accommodates for their unique power.

PRESENT DAY

0f342c5c09fd71042335e45507407fc3.jpg

The year is 2116, Mavericks and humans coexist with each other and face little turmoil. After 100 years, Mavericks have been fully assimilated back into society and have regained almost all rights. Mavericks and humans now work alongside each other, go to school together, live in the same neighborhoods, and some are even friends, breaking the discrimination from decades ago. The MCB has managed to keep rogue and dangerous Mavericks under control keeping relative peace. Despite the harmony between species, radical groups want the Mavericks separated from humans and others want Mavericks to rule the humans seeing themselves as the “superior species”, but no one could prepare for such a change in society. Two years ago, Humans began developing powers just like Mavericks, but these powers were erratic and beyond controllable and in extreme cases these humans went deranged and attacked anyone in their path. After extensive research and experimentation was done, it was determined that these humans were affected by a poorly made copy of Sirona called Pseudo-Sirona or PS. This roleplay will take place in 2116 in the fictional city of Columbia, a futuristic metropolis in the USA.

THE ROLEPLAY

THE MISSION

You have been recruited to an elite team that was formed to uncover the creator behind the Pseudo-Sirona and put an end to the deadly attacks it causes. You will either be an Enforcer, a Hound, or a convicted Malefactor released from prison for this mission and you and your team will have to reveal the actual truth behind Pseudo-Sirona. Is it really just a drug made by some junkie who wanted a thrill? Or is it something more? Are you prepared to uncover a sinister conspiracy that will change your way of life forever? Your mission awaits.

THE POWERS

I am currently working on a list of available powers for your character and that will be posted once the thread is up and it will include things like; enhanced strength, invisibility, telepathy, power detector, healing factor, healing, teleportation, force field generation, levitation, intangibility, manipulation of the four basic elements (earth, fire, water, air), etc.

A NOTE ON CHARACTERS

No anime pictures, real people or realistic drawings only for your character.

I will be accepting around 10 characters and set a deadline so this is not first come first serve.

Maximum is two characters per person.

Mavericks were either born with their power from Maverick parent(s) or were given the Sinora vaccine when they were sick with the Ryker virus.

The thread will be up by June 18th if this gains any interest. I wanted to put this out a week earlier to see how many people would be interested in this RP.

Please let me know if you are interested so that I can tag you when the thread is up!

Feel free to ask me any questions in the meantime!

HERE IS THE THREAD
Detailed - OPERATION MAVERICK

Note: this roleplay was inspired by Psycho Pass and the novel Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely interested! This looks killer.

Although I do have one question- you mentioned that "Mavericks were either born with their power from Maverick parent(s) or were given the Sinora vaccine when they were sick with the Ryker virus." But wasn't the virus outbreak a hundred years ago?

Semblance said:
Although I do have one question- you mentioned that "Mavericks were either born with their power from Maverick parent(s) or were given the Sinora vaccine when they were sick with the Ryker virus." But wasn't the virus outbreak a hundred years ago?
I was thinking the same thing~

Semblance said:
Also, about that same sentence. Isn't it possible for our characters to have gotten the vaccine through the special pharmacy or the black market like you mentioned on the first section?

Semblance said:
Yes it was but the Mavericks from 100 years ago still had kids so if one of our characters was a born Maverick, their grandparents or even great grandparents would have had the Ryker virus during the initial outbreak then the vaccine. Also because the government decided to stop mass production of the Sinora vaccine, the virus was never completely wiped out so it is possible for your character to have gotten it through physical contact with someone who was infected. The Ryker virus is about as common as the swine flu.

aranafco said:
Also, about that same sentence. Isn't it possible for our characters to have gotten the vaccine through the special pharmacy or the black market like you mentioned on the first section?
It definitely is! But keep in mind the risks of getting caught with illegal Sinora and getting the vaccine through the government is incredibly expensive and rare. The government distributes Sinora to about 50,000 cases a year out of let's say 500,000 cases a year. They never give it out for free as well.

I hope that clears things up??

Elision of Ecritures] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/35003-sunshineintoveins/ said:
@sunshineintoveins[/URL] What do you believe would be the age range for our characters?
Malefactors: 18+

Hounds: 23+

Inspectors: 22+

But of course, this is flexible so if you have a reasonable explanation for hounds and inspectors, you can make them a year younger.

Also, another question @sunshineintoveins what abput if you were to post a list of the available powers and someone has an idea for a different power which is reasonably made or just not.listed, Explain, its strengths and weaknesses to you via a private conversation as well as it's function and then use it for our own OC. Would this kind of scenario be possible?

@sunshineintoveins[/URL] what abput if you were to post a list of the available powers and someone has an idea for a different power which is reasonably made or just not.listed, Explain, its strengths and weaknesses to you via a private conversation as well as it's function and then use it for our own OC. Would this kind of scenario be possible?
Most definitely. I'm making a fairly extensive list just so that people don't use crazy powerful powers but if you send me a PM of another power that is not listed explaining what it is then I will take it into consideration

sunshineintoveins said:
Most definitely. I'm making a fairly extensive list just so that people don't use crazy powerful powers but if you send me a PM of another power that is not listed explaining what it is then I will take it into consideration
Do you perchance have that list yet?

[QUOTE="The Endergod]Do you perchance have that list yet?

[/QUOTE]
I'm aiming for it to include 30 options, I'm halfway done so hopefully I'll have it done by tomorrow and I can post it here before the thread is up. If anyone has any suggestions or requests for powers let me know in this thread and I will check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back