[OOC Thread] [The Resurgent]

Also, I only have 5 of needed 7 votes over in the poll. I have a fair guess as to one of the missing ones, but don't know who the other is. If you're reading this, go check that you re-voted.

It does if you wish to use it's effects here. You will 'appear inhumanly fast' (so it's like the Obvious tag). I'll let you retcon this activation (and you can just say things like 'I want to use the effect this scene' so you don't have to note it every action). Edit your re-establishing Stealth post with a mechanics note and I'll edit the tick post, and you can post your next action.

I kind of assumed I had my weapons already out due to the costume being a guard carrying a pole arm.

If this is not the case I'd still rather draw, wait, then attack.

Also I didn't see any stunt dice mentioned, could we have them always explicitly declared even if they are zero so we know it wasn't forgotten?

Sorry, please take two stunt dice for all actions in the flurry (but only one stunt reward for the action). If I don't mention them I have forgotten them, thank you for reminding me.

As for your swords, the everyman armor is able to disguise your physical look and your dress (the scabbards), but when you draw them they are blazing bright gold orichalcum that scream "Anathema". You won't always look like you have two swords on you, but when you draw them (from seemingly inexplicable positions) they become what they are. When a weapon is part of your disguise you may look as if you are using it but it has no bonus stats - you attack as if unarmed.

For this combat, I'll let you retcon drawing them in a flurry with the re-establishing stealth action (without taking the penalty one normally would, because I don't care to go back in time).

Re-reading Act 4, keep in mind that the less clear you are in Social Combat attack resolution the less clear NPCs will be in attack resolution. When a truth-finding attack lands I plan to pretty much put it all on the table - there is no difference in the margin of success for social attacks.

Also, don't add the dice right now since we've already rolled, but I have 2 more damage from bracers normally.

Kalarix said:
Will be on vacation for the whole next week (through the 29th).
BTW everyone, Kalarix didn't leave me plans for Rillard, so we'll see his action Monday.

1e Core has some insight in the Bureaucracy systems. Determining the worth of an item is detailed on page 255 of 1e Core. Bribes and maneuvering can be found on page 256 of 1e Core. Haggling is interesting and I want to expand on it.

Haggling: Creation has a custom when purchasing goods that is widely practiced. If one were to refuse the terms of haggling that person would get a bad reputation among merchants and find them even harder than normal to buy things from and sell things to. The ritual is this: buyer and seller decide they are going to trade money for goods. The haggling contest is a cumulative roll done 3 times, at different difficulties per each participant that vary depending on the situation. After these rolls determine who has more threshold successes than the other.

If the buyer has more successes price = (worth)/(1+1/5*success difference)

If the seller has more successes price = (worth)*(1+1/5*success difference)

If there is a tie price = worth

(i.e. at 5 successes you can double or half the price of the item)

Example.

Bob the fish seller is a southern fish cook and stall-owner and The Unconquerable Mercenary of the West is a Solar who's hungry. Bob has a cooked fish dish for 5 hits of Resources 0, it's a specialty that lowly peasants cannot afford (5 hits of Resources 0 can feed a peasant for half a season). Bob serves this dish mainly to the middle to upper class that can spend such a sum on one meal. It's the only thing Bob has ready to eat, the uncooked fish Bob also sells don't look as interesting to our Solar.

No prices are listed at Bob's stall. Merc walks up to Bob and assesses his dish (Perception+Bureaucracy) and gets 3 successes which is enough to know the dish is worth 5 hits of Resources 0. He has 1 hit of Resources 2 in cowrie shells from his last job, so he walks up to Bob and begins haggling.

Now, Bob the fish seller is a southern man and respects Guild Silver and Realm Jade Script much more than measly cowrie shells. This bumps up the difficulty for Mercenary to 2 (ST discretion). Mercenary is hungry, so his position is a bit weaker, his difficulty is 1 (ST discretion).

(The above paragraph can be read as: Bob has a reason not to sell, Merc doesn't have a reason not to buy. Different difficulties.)

Rolls:

Bob: 3

Mercenary: 3

Bob: 1

Mercenary: 4

Bob: 0 (no botch)

Mercenary: 2

On the first roll Bob gets 2 threshold successes, Merc gets 1. Round 2 Bob gets 0 (total remains 2), Merc gets 2 (total is now 3). Round 3 Bob again gets 0 (total remains 2), Merc gets 0 (total remains 3). Buyer (Merc) wins with 1 success difference! Buyer buys the fish dish for 5/(1+2/5*1)=4.17 hits of Resources 0! 4.17 gets rounded to 4 because Merc is Exalted. (Exalts round in their favor, mortals round against their favor, winner determines rounding). Merc hands over the shells and eats his fish dish, now 4 hits of Resources 0 poorer.

Botches, like any extended roll, reduce the accumulated threshold successes by half.

What is the attribute for the actual haggling? It seems like Charisma (if honest) or Manipulation (if not).

kaliket said:
What is the attribute for the actual haggling? It seems like Charisma (if honest) or Manipulation (if not).
Both Charisma and Manipulation are valid attributes, character's choice. This interacts with Frugal Merchant Method p230 of 2e Core.

Hoping to retcon to just let my flurry finish and kill the guy. Although I would argue that rolling and getting a hit on compassion is all that should have been required to have a conversation with the guy. It makes sense in my mind to see if I'm compassionate enough to keep someone alive. There's nothing particularly valorous about killing a defeated foe and since I planned on finishing him after the questions(which would lead me to more people who need killing thus fulfilling my motivations) conviction seemed irrelevant as well.

rcuhljr said:
Hoping to retcon to just let my flurry finish and kill the guy. Although I would argue that rolling and getting a hit on compassion is all that should have been required to have a conversation with the guy. It makes sense in my mind to see if I'm compassionate enough to keep someone alive. There's nothing particularly valorous about killing a defeated foe and since I planned on finishing him after the questions(which would lead me to more people who need killing thus fulfilling my motivations) conviction seemed irrelevant as well.
This Valor/Compassion reasoning makes sense to me.

However, he believes you're demons and must be stopped. A Conviction roll is in your future. Edited the posts.

Mkay. well let me know how we are editing the thread since I'm just letting my initial attack kill him.

Re-reading I can only give you limit if you suppress your primary Virtue. I'll have to make sure that's on everybody's sheets.

As for the retcon, I was hoping to retcon the rolls, not the aborted flurry. You have your sword to his neck, so as soon as you want to stop talking you can kill him. It is your turn in the tickless Social Combat, so you can do that right now if you wish.

Letting him go completely, that would be a Conviction roll since he plans to counter your Motivation (which is what I thought you might do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back