[Occam's Razor] [Occam's Razor] Occam's Razor: The Colorado Incident

Nidelia looks at him. "I don't care if he helps, but he dies if he lays one hand on any woman here without their consent. Or kills anyone," she says looking him in the eye. Why couldn't she get mad at him?

What was it about him? She didn't know, but it was making her mad at herself. She didn't like being attracted to him, when, at least she felt, it was obvious he wasn't interested in her.

"Well merry Christmas mister Devontess... You've just won a secret." Jace let out a dreadful sigh. Not that he expected the other male to sense the shift in his own thoughts, but he actually had a more serious expression on his face. "Have you ever seen one of those lizard-like dog things... With a back that looked like a porcupine? Like a REALLY big one? The one with a big long hole in its left forearm? I did... Kind of reminded me of Popeye a little bit. It was the one behind the one I crushed with the ceiling. I think it's still trapped down there." He let go of the button, going back over to the three dimensional map in the middle of the panel. "Once I get that gun, I'll help you with that big oaf." Of course this last part was said more to himself than to portray his interest in exterminating it back to Malcom.

Malcom froze, Everything had just changed, "Jace! Repeat that! What did you say about it's left foreleg!" He had gone white, and was clutching the comm like he would someone's shoulders. Malcom's visage changed, from controlled to terrified, He remembered back to when the beasts had chased them that morning, the creature had lost its foreleg to the hydraulic door, "What do you mean a hole?!" The beast had stalked him, from one end of the facility to the other, it had been sniffing him out, It had only turned it's attention to Jace when he had attacked it with the cave in.

Jace paused, not yet really responding yet as if he were trying to connect some dots that simply weren't there. After pressing the button, he 'asked' what he had just said before. "Yeah... There's one still trapped below. It had a long tear in its left front leg? Honestly, I thought they were tougher than that. Guess it was just an overgrown retard of the species." He'd let off a series of chuckles at his own taunt of the creature. "But why do you sound so worried? You have history with that thing or something?"

Malcom shuddered, "That thing... was the size of a man earlier today, it was only as tall as I am... It got it's arm cut clean off in a hydralic door... Back then... it didnt have any spikes Jace... Back then, It was missing two feet of it's body, Two feet of it's body it now has back. If it's the one from the hallway, that beast was stalking ME..." He sat down on the edge of the cryo tank nearest to him, holding his head in his hands, "Dear god... what have we done..." He muttered over the comm.

Jace let out a confused set of "Woah, woah, wooooaaah"s followed by a "Slow down there sarge. We'll just go down there and blow its brains out. Or I'll go find something to blow its ass to kingdom come. If you'd like, we could use.... you as bait, even~." Of course this was a joke meant to prod at him. "And uh... this isn't the same creature. Can't be. This thing was half as tall as the wall. About three fourth's as wide as an entire hallway. There's no way it's the same one. It's damn shadow stretched over the entire corridor it came from. Hell, it would have to be twelve foot tall minimum. Eight foot wide. There isn't enough food here for something to get THAT fat that quickly. Hell, not even enough corpses."

Nidelia looks at Malcolm. What he was talking about must have happened before shed woken up. She walked over to Malcolm and placed a hand on his shoulder

"Easy Malcolm," she says kneeling in front of him and looking into his eyes. "What happened exactly? Are you saying these things are actively evolving?" She asks connecting the dots in her head of what they each had said.

Malcom nodded, muttering, "We... saw it in the field... in Russia... We... Oh god... Then that means..." He couldn't believe it, He looked to her, shaking his head, "We locked that thing in there with enough food to let it evolve to the size of godzilla." He said, his comm open, "They're cannibalistic, we saw them change in the field once, my commander just told us to kill them but... There was a time... we found one flailing around, though it was dieing... but it... it grew armored plates six inches thick. Back then, they generally didn't survive that process... but give the planet two hundred years of uninterrupted hyper evolution... two hundred years of natural selection... and what do you get?"

She gasps. "So our going into stasisnto outlive them was for naight," she said slumping to her knees. "Of course a creature that actively evolves would survive. Did they really think we would outlive them?" She asks looking at Malcolm. She actually had tears in her eyes.

Something had struck her. How were they going to survive something they had already gone into stasis to avoid... no... the key... the key was how the creatures got in here in the first place. "Malcolm, did you ever search the records for how the things got in here?" She asks.

"As I pointed out before there would have been no need to open the doors to check the outside world for those things. They could have sent out a drone," she says.

"I have a theory that very few of those things survived outside, after two hundred years, where as these creatures got inside twenty years or so after we were put in stasis. These ones had a food supply to last them," she says looking at him confidently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jace went over to the bed's half folded up matress, sitting down on it with what seemed to be a semi-content sigh. Not for what he was hearing, of course. But the fact that he could finally sit on something 'soft'. He pressed the button on the comm system again. "Let me get this straight... Humanity.. All of what's left of it, adults as well as CHILDREN, were sent to sleep to try and outlive a new kind of creature that... Changes... really fast to become bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, harder to kill... whatever. And to top it all off, you two still have no idea how they even got in here in the first place?" He'd ask this in layman's terms, displaying just how stupid all of it sounded. "What the hell is wrong with you people? Is it so obvious that you can't see it? We have been screwed by the entire ordeal. The ones in charge had no bit of common sense. Why make us sleep if you can't keep them out? And if you can't figure out how they 'busted in'... Then how did they friggen GET HERE then? They had to come from somewhere, right? It's not like they magically appeared. Let's just go down there and make that one disappear."

Malcom closed his eyes for a moment, his hands covering his face, "We made them... It was... an attempt to cure the flu I think... Some... Crackpot made this vicious countervirus... it mutated... and started spreading. It took two years before we were losing... I saw it evolve, At first it was a couple of supression missions, supress a mob here or there... kill some militant civilians if they pose a threat, grunt work... but then... our leaders figured out how fast it was spreading, we couldnt control it. I guess the media was really good at keeping people in the dark... because those things... we made them... Operation Clean Slate... that's what we were a part of... and now, were in The Long Walk Scenario..." He sighed and continued after a moment of gathering his thoughts, "There was a scientist, another crackpot, made a gas bomb, it worked on the creatures better then fire. They just melted... But it was toxic to humans... and it had a ten year half life... It was deployed into the upper atmosphere..." He motioned to the stasis pods, "Hence why we were asleep while it happened... check after twenty years, we have the planet to ourselves... or that was the plan... The creatures must have been immune..." He covered his face and shook his head, and sighed, "So now were all screwed..."

Nidelia looked at the floor shaking her head. "Malcolm, we've come too far to just give up. Let's kill the last one and get it over with," she says standing up and pulling on of the hand guns of her waist band out and checking the ammo.

"Guess I'm going to have to learn to use these whether I want to or not. Did you pull up my file when you were in there?" She asks Malcolm curiously. Her file would have told about the killing of her father and her being raped.

Malcom shook his head at her, "You, dont understand. These things are babies. This isn't a Last One. This is the first one were going to encounter, of billions... When we sealed colorado... here, where we are, there were so many of them that I lost half of my unit suppressing them. We were one of sixty units that held the line, We were closest to the door... And we were the last one's in the door."

He looked at Nidelia, "No, I didn't Just mine and Jace's. Honestly..." he sighed and rubbed his head, "I think we'll need doctors more at this point..."

Jace's hand went to the speaker, pressing the button down fairly hard. "And what the hell does that have to do with my and your current predicaments? It seems pretty clear to me that you're being a little P.U.S.S.Y! Let's just kill the damn thing you're so afraid of so you and the misses can do your work in expanding this little shindig and do your science-y stuff to take back what we left behind. I'm sure the ones who lacked common sense when monster-proofing this place are overly complicated enough to have some sort of physicists or something lined up to be awakened, right? Hell, I'd seen more of those white coats stripped to pieces then I did actual people."

He stood up, giving a pained groan as he kept the button held. "And all of your complaining has yet to prove useful in getting me out of here." And truthfully, he was itching for that gun right about now. If not to just get his hands on it, then to use it on that beast.

Nidelia looks at him. "I won't argue that, but right now I'm going to do the best I can to be a Doctor and keep the rest of these sleeping people safe Malcolm. I'm going to follow my Hippocratic oath until the day I die," she says watching him.

"Now, are we going to kill this thing or not?" She asked sternly.

Malcom sighed, and nodded, "Yeah." He tapped the controls on his remote, "Jace, You have power again. With the core back online, the teleports should be up and running too." He was joking, but he wanted to see if anyone would fall for it, so he kept as straight a face as he could. Tapping several other points, he unlocked the path between himself and the armory, then looked to Emerson, and Len, "Boys if you'll exscuse us." He took Nidelia by the hand and started to stride away, "With his free hand he looked over the data pad, and tapped several point's on it after he released her hand, "Come with me, I find myself in need of a concious." He tapped a point on the remote, and was rewarded with a lit path that would lead Emerson and Len to the mess hall, he called back to them, "Go pull something out of the freezers, one of you better be able to cook, And no funny shit with the computers Greenie!" He looked back to Nidelia, having switched off his comm, he said, "This... Will be bad."

Nidelia faced him and took both his hands in each of hers and nods. "I know. I saw the damage these things do," she said. "But Malcolm, if anyone is going to keep these people safe it's going to be you. But I'm also not going to let you try it alone," she says hugging him. Alone... with him Herr, she just couldn't fight the fact she liked him.

She also wasn't going to let him try this alone with that criminal. For all they knew the criminal would help kill the beast then kill Malcolm right after. "I'm also not going to let you be in a room alone with that man. He's a murderer and for all we know, he'll use you to help kill the beast, then try to kill you afterwards," she says looking up into his eyes.

Malcom shrugged slightly, and smiled at her lightly, "Yeah I know... That's why were going to the armory first. We found a couple of things were effective against the big ones... Key word here is Were... I don't know if they still will be though..." He had paused at the hug, not knowing if he should return the affection. He had no idea if he would be alive by the end of the day. With a sigh, Malcom made his way towards the armory, "There is very little that actually hurt them besides .50 Caliber armaments. But... We had a portable stinger rocket... We put it in it's own stasis container... Crazy technology... I just hope it still operates."

Jace made an almost disappointed look away from the speaker as he heard the word 'teleports' and shook his head, knowing full well that if they could teleport, the monsters would be either no problems what-so ever, or they would have already found them by now or escaped due to being able to do so themselves. He simply chalked that up to common sense again. As soon as the other door was deemed 'safe' and another route to some weaponry was secured, Jace dared to leave the room. His hesitance was there alright, but he treaded forward with another roll of his shoulder and a grip of his fist. His eyes seemed focused and was a stark contrast with the aches he still had in his muscles already from practically climbing the entire bottom half of the complex. Of course this would not stop him from walking with purpose in his short little journey to finally see the man he spoke to... face to face.

Nidelia frowned watching him start walking without hugging her back. She figured it was time to assume he wasn't interested in her at all. She sighed and followed after him, watching their surroundings nervously.

Meanwhile back on the other side of the complex the Cryo stasis tube holding Rys Rinnel released.

Rys hit the floor gasping at the air and looking around. At first it was black, but her vision was coming back rather quickly. Nausea! She was then puking all over the floor in front of her. All the amino nutrients the tube had been feeding her were being pumped back out of her system.

She coughed and sat back against the wall. Where was she? Oh yeah... she had just gone into Cryo. The creatures she was briefed on... they had been killed by a toxic chemical that they had to hide from.

She sighed and rubbed her face to wake up. Apparently it was finally twenty years later since they were waking up. But wait, something was wrong. Where were the scientists who were supposed to help them when they woke up?

She finally stood up and opened her eyes again and looked around. She gasped and covered her mouth backing up against the wall in horror. All the pods had been savagely torn open and all the occupants dead. Oh god, she wasn't the only one left?! No way! She couldn't be. Her legs began to shake and she slumped to the floor.

Bianca followed Malcom's directions and found her way to the other Cryotubes. Walking for a while, she saw someone standing not far from her. She quickly ran until she reached the person standing in front of her, who was actually a woman. "Hey, hey. Look, I'm real. I'm human." She said, trying to calm the woman down. "Look.. I know this is a shock but we need to get moving." She added, rubbing her upper arm, and shaking her. "I'm Bianca. Do you have your stuff with you know?" She asked, turning her head left and right, looking for the woman's locker.

She looked at the woman. "Oh thank god!" She says standing up shakily. Sher southern accent was thick as molasses. She then walked over to her locker and pulled everything out.

"I'm so glad to see yah sweetpeach, I was so scared there for a moment," she says facing the girl with an armful of stuff. "I'm guessin' I'll be changin' in an assigned room?" She asks smiling. She was calmer. On the outside. Inside she was freaking out.

Who is this girl?! What happened to everyone here?! Was there still danger lurking?! She didn't look it, but her heart was also racing.

Within minutes, Malcom made his way to the armory, and the first thing he noticed was the retinal scanner was already active. It was a huge orb that sat in the center of the room a laser scanning the room. He stepped forward and stared directly at it, letting it scan him. It took a moment, before a subdued female voice echoed out, "Welcome Liuetant Corporal Devontess. The Armory is at your disposal." He sighed and relaxed. He moved to the body armor first, and within a minute, he was suited up in full armor. He grabbed up one of the newest innovations before the freeze, a combat HUD visor. He slid the device on and felt the bite as it dug into his skin, sending a monitor into him, he looked about and whistled, "Damn I forgot how col this thing was... Like playing a video game." Malcom let it go through its boot sequence as he started grabbing up weapons he felt he would need, loading each one carefully. The armory had been sealed as a single unit, and when he had opened the door, it had broken that seal. He could smell the oil from the last time the firearms in here had been serviced. He nodded to Nidelia, "Go ahead and grab something, It'll recognize my authority." He had an experimental fifty caliber revolver in slid into his waistband. The weapon was massive, and he had loaded it even before he started heading to the Stinger Missile. Malcom looked it over, and sighed, nodding. "Alright... " He went to work rearming the device, opening it's shell he started reconnecting the internal wiring.

"Where should you change..? Well er.. We just changed right here on the spot.." Bianca murmured, looking rather flushed on the cheeks. She quickly turned around, her back facing the woman. "I won't peek!" She told her, not daring to intrude on her privacy. Bianca fumbled, around looking for the remote that was in her pocket. She keyed into the comm on her remote. "Hey Mal. Found another girl. She's here right now.. Kinda uh.. busy." she said, then pulled the remote away. "Uh.. hey. Ma'am? You uh.. done yet?" she asked her.

Nidelia nodded to him. She found a female armor and put it on. Then grabbed a couple more hand guns and one machine gun. She frowned. "Remind me," she stopped. There, there's the bows and arrows. She put the machine gun back and walked over to them.

She pulled a bow off the wall and picked up an arrow examining it. They had been made to pack as much of a punch as bullets from a gun. The tips were sharper than any normal arrow used to shoot down an animal. They had been experimental and had been said it would penetrate through the thick skin of the beasts, but it was never tested before it was too late.

Rys quickly got changed into her clothes. (The same ones as in her pic). Once she was done she turned around.

"There's others?!" She asked excitedly upon seeing the girl speak into her comms unit. This was good news. Hopefully one of them was a guy. Whether she wanted to amit it or not, from the looks of things... they would have to restart from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back