Mythology/Gods style RP?

We need a god of war and a goddess of love, or possibly a goddess who represents both love and war, like the Babylonian goddess Ishtar or Egyptian Anat.

I'd like to play a trickster type..Perhaps the patron of magic? I like grey morality. Is that cool with everyone?

[QUOTE="The Pooka]Tricksters. How I do love them. They're my favourites all around. I used to be Huehuecoyotl, after all.

[/QUOTE]
What role would you prefer, Pooka?

I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind creating the life-death-rebirth god. A Tammuz/Adonis archetype, a male version of Persephone, who is contested by both the nature goddess and the goddess of the dead, and so must spend a portion of time on the earth with the former, and a portion in the underworld with the latter, thus creating the cycle of seasons.

We may end up playing multiple characters ^^" 

[QUOTE="The Pooka]I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind creating the life-death-rebirth god. A Tammuz/Adonis archetype, a male version of Persephone, who is contested by both the nature goddess and the goddess of the dead, and so must spend a portion of time on the earth with the former, and a portion in the underworld with the latter, thus creating the cycle of seasons.

[/QUOTE]
That sounds good to me. Go for it.

Perhaps he could be an ancestor figure too. An explanation for mortality. He is born again in spring, lives through summer, becomes old and withered in autumn, and sleeps the sleep of death in winter. And because of this, his children, mortal mankind, must also live and die.

I don't know how anyone would want Loki around...he's just a general pain in the arse haha if I was Thor I would have smote him.

Nice, nice Pooka!

Maybe that could tie in with the god of underworld, kosmos? 

kosmosnot said:
I don't know how anyone would want Loki around...he's just a general pain in the arse haha if I was Thor I would have smote him.
Don't listen to my bother, he's adopted xD

Well, in Greek mythology, Aphrodite and Persephone both fought over the prince Adonis. And Demeter and Hades both fought over Persephone herself. But the closer comparison would be with the mesopotamian story of Tammuz/Dumuzi, who is lusted after by both Ishtar (the goddess of love and war, who, via her later form Astarte, is probably the inspiration for Aphrodite) and by Ereshkigal, the queen of the dead.

Mythology is always so juicy haha. So many scandals and murders... 
When I get home, I'm going to have to do a document up with all the Gods/creatures we need, and see who wants to fill the blanks.

Indeed. And many recurring mythemes, which we could tackle ourselves, with our own twists. An example would be the conflict between a younger and older generation of gods (olympians vs titans, aesir vs vanir, asuras vs daevas, tuatha de danann vs fomoirians, anunnaki vs igigi and so on)

Cthulhos said:
Remember, I'm supposed to be the god of magic. :/
Hm.. . .

What shall we do?
Ahh my bad I lost track of all of the posts and yours got caught up in the mix. Yes of course, um I will think of something else then! No worries c:

In Greek mythology, there was a race of gods called the Protogenoi. . . Manifestations of phenomenon like the sky, etcetera. They gave birth to the Titans. Titans gave birth to the gods/Gaia gave birth to the gods. . .

I suggest that our deities are like titans/gods who tamed Protogenoi, and became deified because of it.

I like mythology. You could say I have a vested interest. I'm willing to lend any insights I might think of. 
The Protogenoi were more or less the components that made up the Greek cosmos. Khaos was the void of space, Ouranos was the upper dome of heaven, Tartaros was the lower dome of Hell, and Gaia was the disc in the centre, encircled by the ocean stream of Pontos. Then you had Aither within Ouranos, the heavenly atmosphere, and Erebos within Tartaros, the gloomy underworld.

[QUOTE="The Pooka]I like mythology. You could say I have a vested interest. I'm willing to lend any insights I might think of. 
The Protogenoi were more or less the components that made up the Greek cosmos. Khaos was the void of space, Ouranos was the upper dome of heaven, Tartaros was the lower dome of Hell, and Gaia was the disc in the centre, encircled by the ocean stream of Pontos. Then you had Aither within Ouranos, the heavenly atmosphere, and Erebos within Tartaros, the gloomy underworld.

[/QUOTE]
If you could conquer such powerful things in some way it would be awesome.

[QUOTE="The Pooka]I like mythology. You could say I have a vested interest. I'm willing to lend any insights I might think of.

[/QUOTE]
Thank you~!

Cthulhos said:
In Greek mythology, there was a race of gods called the Protogenoi. . . Manifestations of phenomenon like the sky, etcetera. They gave birth to the Titans. Titans gave birth to the gods/Gaia gave birth to the gods. . .
I suggest that our deities are like titans/gods who tamed Protogenoi, and became deified because of it.
Also, just a thought, maybe our deities are the lower deities, and perhaps the higher-up's are doing something that could end badly for the rest of the cosmos?

Kowala said:
Thank you~!
Also, just a thought, maybe our deities are the lower deities, and perhaps the higher-up's are doing something that could end badly for the rest of the cosmos?
I was thinking more like that the higher ups are so powerful if they just linger around without being contained it would be bad. If we could lock them up, contain them somehow it would prevent the races and gods from being overwhelmed and destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back