Keychain #323-328

Body of Element defenses are a fun bunch:

- Earth is beaten by striking with a wood weapon. Hope you have one of the singing staves, or you won't be doing a lot of damage. Wood DBs have it easy, as does anyone attacking with a Wood-Dragon Style charm.

- Water is beaten by subjecting the DB to freezing temperatures. Good luck with that if it's out of season. Air element charms have better chances for most of the year, in most of creation.

- Fire is beaten by water-essence attacks, or being wet. Good thing (Essence) levels of fire damage per tick tend to keep fire-aspects quite dry, for the low low cost of "the essence I was spending anyway."

- Air is beaten by the Overwhelming tag, or earth essence attacks. Air gets the short end of the stick, as a weapon with the Overwhelming tag will certainly be a big one.

- Wood is beaten by fire. This is, perhaps, even shorter, because Firewands hurt.

Nice to see us getting back to the main storyline and finally going to the Isle. Must say I didn't see the secret tunnel coming though (I was kind of looking forward to seeing them trying to sneak in by ship).

Edit: Huh. So its the traditional Chinese destructive Cycle except with Metal removed and Air inserted between Earth and Water? Weird.

IanPrice said:
- Earth is beaten by striking with a wood weapon. Hope you have one of the singing staves, or you won't be doing a lot of damage. Wood DBs have it easy, as does anyone attacking with a Wood-Dragon Style charm.

- Water is beaten by subjecting the DB to freezing temperatures. Good luck with that if it's out of season. Air element charms have better chances for most of the year, in most of creation.

- Fire is beaten by water-essence attacks, or being wet. Good thing (Essence) levels of fire damage per tick tend to keep fire-aspects quite dry, for the low low cost of "the essence I was spending anyway."

- Air is beaten by the Overwhelming tag, or earth essence attacks. Air gets the short end of the stick, as a weapon with the Overwhelming tag will certainly be a big one.

- Wood is beaten by fire. This is, perhaps, even shorter, because Firewands hurt.
Theres always the classic way.

Run them out of motes and willpower.

Had a Lunar get reamed by an experienced Water Aspect in the sea once. It was fine and dandy until the Water guy left him with half his health before fleeing.

veekie said:
IanPrice said:

Theres always the classic way.

Run them out of motes and willpower.

Had a Lunar get reamed by an experienced Water Aspect in the sea once. It was fine and dandy until the Water guy left him with half his health before fleeing.
Just brute-force him to death, you mean?

That's a fun one, though it's difficult to do it stylishly.

merle said:
But you have to be stylish (or at least stunt well enough to have good mote recovery) to pull it off. So that's okay.

merle said:
The best way to do it WAS stylishly, since the lunar was at 3 health levels and the Water Aspect at 2. One ran out of Willpower and the other out of motes.

Many 2 dot stunts were seen.

A dead First Age Solar whose name mysteriously cannot be pronounced? Whatever could that indicate, I wonder? :P

(Fingers crossed for a completely mundane explanation that doesn't involve Deathlords at all :D )

chalicier said:
A dead First Age Solar whose name mysteriously cannot be pronounced? Whatever could that indicate, I wonder? :P
(Fingers crossed for a completely mundane explanation that doesn't involve Deathlords at all :D )
Um, what qualifies as 'mundane' in the situation of cannot actually speak their name?

Thanqol said:
Um, what qualifies as 'mundane' in the situation of cannot actually speak their name?
A First Age effect preventing Misho, specifically, from saying her name? Maybe he was a bit whiny?

A heretofore unknown effect of the Orichalcum Key?

A God that collects pieces of powerful names, snatching them from the Loom just as they're spoken, in order to construct terrible narratives that are then shut into an underground chamber beneath Yu-Shan, only to be revealed at the behest of the Maiden of Secrets?

"M-R-L", huh?

Well, that's...just a wee bit spooky, but I'll chalk it up to coincidence. But...really? MRL?

And so the plot thickens. Again.

How thick is the plot going to be? I'd like to fit it in my room when it's done, please.

Two candidates spring to mind:

- Deathlords, who were all solars, and thus could have known about the road.

- The Scarlet Empress, who was somehow given access to the Solars' Imperial Manse back then... so maybe, somehow, some wacky way, found the road and did something.

That's how "Merela" is written in the in-character materials in DotFA, of course -- she was basically a God-Queen, and First Age Solars had a Charm that let them know anytime spoke or wrote their name, so I think Carl was evoking the practice of spelling "God" as "G-d" as a mark of respect, with added caution; I don't think he ever intended for it to affect how people in the setting actually spoke, and there's a comic in Lands of Creation where the Hierophant calls her "Queen Merela" and it's spelled out properly.

Given that Jukashi had Misho specifically call this out as irrelevant, I'm guessing he's just using it as a gag. But I'm curious if he's doing more with it!

Apropos of none of that, seeing Misho mention an event from my First Age timeline gave me a bit of a jump.

(P.S. It's Merela, not Marela.)

Aasharu said:
But it's pronounced Ma-Re-La. Misho was sounding out the phonetic components of her name.
I've always pronounced it Me-Re-La. But maybe this is a First Age script thing. I never bothered to learn the syllable lists for that.

merle said:
"M-R-L", huh?
Well, that's...just a wee bit spooky, but I'll chalk it up to coincidence. But...really? MRL?
Obviously she has decided her name should only be pronounceable in the Dread and Terrible language of Cats. :)

Dahak said:
merle said:
"M-R-L", huh?
Obviously she has decided her name should only be pronounceable in the Dread and Terrible language of Cats. :)
Heh, of course...

For me it was just that I've made it something of a 'thing' for my characters to have "MRL" in their names - one of my character literally just has those three letters, others are Merle, Marla, Marlene, Marela, Marlowe...

Just a coincidence, but a spooky one.

The name "Queen Merela" actually dates back to the description of the Crown of Thunders in the first edition supplement The Book of 3 Circles, published in 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back