Keychain #323-328

Should Karen maybe be more muscley in the limb area? That daiklaive can't be easy to lift.

Also, there's totally a laughtrack playing at that last line.

Brickwall said:
Should Karen maybe be more muscley in the limb area? That daiklaive can't be easy to lift.
Also, there's totally a laughtrack playing at that last line.
I don't know. Marena can toss really big rocks at people and she's already thinner than Karen.

Ribus, your excerpt has helped me realize that Karen's caste mark morphed into Cross Popping Veins (see TVTropes) in that last panel. Another sign of Jukashi's awesomeness.

SomeoneInCreation said:
Ribus, your excerpt has helped me realize that Karen's caste mark morphed into Cross Popping Veins (see TVTropes) in that last panel. Another sign of Jukashi's awesomeness.
Oh wow, I never would have noticed that! Great little punchline there.

And yeah, how about them demons, huh?

SomeoneInCreation said:
Actually, when you go back to the comic and check, you notice that Jukashi himself didn't do that, it was all Ribus. Credit where credit is due.

Not that Jukashi isn't awesome, of course.

Arrghus said:
SomeoneInCreation said:
Actually, when you go back to the comic and check, you notice that Jukashi himself didn't do that, it was all Ribus. Credit where credit is due.

Not that Jukashi isn't awesome, of course.
...hm. Credit to both Jukashi and Ribus, then, for a great comic and a neat joke added to it.

See, the last three panels here exemplify the things I love about Exalted. I'm assuming that Karen is around Essence 3, so by game standards, she's still "low level." In other RPGs, a low level character coming up against a demon equals rending, tearing, mauling, and bloody, bloody death of the character at the hands of the demon. In Exalted, a low level Solar, (especially a Dawn Caste,) comes up against a demon, it's a minor scuffle, (for the Exalt,) followed by a bloody decapitation of the aforementioned demon at the hands of the reborn God-King.

Aasharu said:
See, the last three panels here exemplify the things I love about Exalted. I'm assuming that Karen is around Essence 3, so by game standards, she's still "low level." In other RPGs, a low level character coming up against a demon equals rending, tearing, mauling, and bloody, bloody death of the character at the hands of the demon. In Exalted, a low level Solar, (especially a Dawn Caste,) comes up against a demon, it's a minor scuffle, (for the Exalt,) followed by a bloody decapitation of the aforementioned demon at the hands of the reborn God-King.
While your point certainly stands, we know her sister, who Exalted only slightly before Karen did, was Essence 4 at the beginning of the comic. I wouldn't put Essence 4 past Karen. Although it probably depends largely on how she spent her bonus points what she was up to before she entered the comic.

*Don't go off on a tangent about how few PCs you've seen actually start at Essence 2, don't go off on a tangent, don't go off on a tangent...*

Ascension said:
*Don't go off on a tangent about how few PCs you've seen actually start at Essence 2, don't go off on a tangent, don't go off on a tangent...*
I've seen a ton start at Essence 2. You get so much more milage if you wait and spend your bonus points on Charms or Abilities.

Kyeudo said:
Ascension said:
I've seen a ton start at Essence 2. You get so much more milage if you wait and spend your bonus points on Charms or Abilities.
Mileage doesn't help you much if you don't have the horsepower and torque to outrun the ravening hordes behind you at the start.

It's like the question of starting as a Wizard or a Fighter in a D&D game. If you're starting at first level, you're nuts to be a Wizard, since a housecat can kill you if it ambushes you. If you're starting around level 10 or so, good luck convincing anybody to play the beef unless they're using a Clericzilla build where they can go around all day with their uberbuffs up.

In Exalted, it's a question of which will serve you better: the fact that starting at Essence 2 optimizes your experience expenditure later in the game by letting you start with more abilities (and even attributes) high, or the fact that starting at Essence 3 gives you a decent chance of surviving a fight with an Immaculate Master if you dump everything into combat.

I always go for the latter. If you come Loaded for Chung, you can blunder through non-Chung. If you come "realistic" and not Loaded for Chung and get Chung, you just got Chunged.

Which is probably why I've seen so many STs award 20 bonus experience at chargen--just enough to have your cake and eat it too.

ShadowDragon8685 said:
Mileage doesn't help you much if you don't have the horsepower and torque to outrun the ravening hordes behind you at the start.

It's like the question of starting as a Wizard or a Fighter in a D&D game. If you're starting at first level, you're nuts to be a Wizard, since a housecat can kill you if it ambushes you. If you're starting around level 10 or so, good luck convincing anybody to play the beef unless they're using a Clericzilla build where they can go around all day with their uberbuffs up.
You've never seen what low level wizards can do if you let an optimizer have at them. I run a pvp arena over on the GitP forums and I've seen some crazy stuff. DC 17-18 Color Sprays, no-save-just-die spells, 40 damage nuke spells, 30 Strength wizards, and other absurdities. You'd be surprised what a first level character can do.

In Exalted, it's a question of which will serve you better: the fact that starting at Essence 2 optimizes your experience expenditure later in the game by letting you start with more abilities (and even attributes) high, or the fact that starting at Essence 3 gives you a decent chance of surviving a fight with an Immaculate Master if you dump everything into combat.

I always go for the latter. If you come Loaded for Chung, you can blunder through non-Chung. If you come "realistic" and not Loaded for Chung and get Chung, you just got Chunged.
For me, coming Loaded for Chung is taking Seven Shadows Evasion and comboing it with Hungry Tiger Technique and the Second Melee Excellency. Costs me 3 bonus points and Immaculate Masters can just eat my Grand Daiklave. Immaculate Masters don't have perfect defenses.

IanPrice said:
Kyeudo said:
Immaculate Masters don't have perfect defenses.
Unless they, you know, have dodge charms. Or Water Dragon Style.
Take a look at Terrestrial Dodge Charms, and weep quietly (Except safety amongst enemies which is the best charm ever)

I'm really not sure why Unassailable Body of (Element) Defense would make me weep. Perhaps tears of joy for such a well written, flavorful charm, which gives both the user and his enemy a good reason to stunt to get around its elemental flaw?

IanPrice said:
I'm really not sure why Unassailable Body of (Element) Defense would make me weep. Perhaps tears of joy for such a well written, flavorful charm, which gives both the user and his enemy a good reason to stunt to get around its elemental flaw?
It has a flaw the size of a mack truck. I have a Grand Daiklave that is considerably smaller. Put the two together and you have Immaculate Master Shishkabob.

Water Dragon Style's perfect, on the other hand, has no flaw in its defense, just in its cost. It will kill you if I don't. I will kill you if it doesn't.

IanPrice said:
If your perfect defense can be countered by a bucket of water then it's not very perfect.

If your perfect defense can be countered by moving then by that reasoning it's not very perfect either.

They have flaws, and there's no reason you couldn't buy it with a different aspect to surprise your enemies

FluffySquirrel said:
If your perfect defense can be countered by moving then by that reasoning it's not very perfect either.
You've read the Temperance Flaw backwards. It can always be activated, but then you are unable to move from your location. Not much of a drawback when I've got a Power Bow.

Still can't move if you plan on using it a lot.. it is far from perfect, is the point. None of them are, it's kinda why they're flawed

Thanqol said:
If your perfect defense can be countered by a bucket of water then it's not very perfect.
Good luck getting that bucket of water onto the fire aspect through his anima flux. Come back when you try something epic, like dumping a rooftop water-basin on him - that might suffice to leave him open for one attack.

Besides that, how many warriors do you know who go around carrying buckets of water? Not to mention the fat lot of good it'll do you when the immaculate turns out to be an earth aspect, or air, or water.

IanPrice said:
Besides that, how many warriors do you know who go around carrying buckets of water? Not to mention the fat lot of good it'll do you when the immaculate turns out to be an earth aspect, or air, or water.
Well, it should work on Earth Aspects (my pokeymans tells me so). Wood aspects, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back