Keychain #281-285

Misho is making way too big a deal about this. The Yozi Sorcerery Initiations are awesome. :mrgreen:

The discussion on internet memes caused me to think this:

Demon: Can I has Exalted now? K Thks Bye.

Oof, sacrifice. Misho does not look particularly comfortable, which gives me a bad feeling about what's coming. Considering the sacrifice has to be significant... eesh. Can't think of what will happen, but it's definitely going to be rather... defining, I suspect.

Marena could give up home-wrecking :) Of course, that might not be a popular decision.

Did anyone else notice the horse in the second panel? I think it's a spy.

Yes, I also get an ominous feeling, and I vote we have a lynchin' if Misho selects poorly... either that or I hope Marena doesn't bother with the sorcery.. fine the way she is!

For the Exalted, Sacrifice could be as simple as buying a repeatable-purchase Charm and giving it up; like buying an Ox-Body purchase.

ShadowDragon8685 said:
For the Exalted, Sacrifice could be as simple as buying a repeatable-purchase Charm and giving it up; like buying an Ox-Body purchase.
Yes, but it seems implied that Misho is expecting Marena to sacrifice something she already has...and I doubt that he'll want to make it something that wouldn't be a genuinely difficult sacrifice.

I fear...

Not buying Ox-Body isn't really in theme for the Sacrifice.Giving up meaningless sex? Now that would be a sacrifice for Manena.

FluffySquirrel said:
Yes, I also get an ominous feeling, and I vote we have a lynchin' if Misho selects poorly... either that or I hope Marena doesn't bother with the sorcery.. fine the way she is!
She could sacrifice everything she learned from the other trials =D bye bye humility!

Well, it's not like Karen's really done anything in the story so far....
What?
Nooo!

A thought - would reconciling with her mother count as sacrificing her pride?

merle said:
What?
Nooo!

Probably, although I think her mother might make that difficult ^.^ There's a lot of good opportunity here tbh, I'm sure Jukashi will delight us.

Tsuranis said:
merle said:
What?
Nooo!

Probably, although I think her mother might make that difficult ^.^ There's a lot of good opportunity here tbh, I'm sure Jukashi will delight us.
Or cut away to somebody else doing something else to further the plot, and not so we suspect that they have something to do with her sacrifice. No, sir. Not at all.

jeriausx said:
Not buying Ox-Body isn't really in theme for the Sacrifice.Giving up meaningless sex? Now that would be a sacrifice for Manena.
No no, you misunderstood me.

I meant, pay the experiance points, put in the training time, actually purchase a purchase of Ox-Body, and then have it vanish on you - even if you later buy Ox-Body again, it will ever be limited to one less than your normal total maximum, thanks to the purchase you sacrificed for sorcery - health and vitality, both real and implied, as well as experiance points and time, gone.

Remember, they're Exalted. Kicking cosmic truisms like "you must sacrifice something that really matters in the testicles and forcing them out the cosmos' throat is what they kriffing do.

It's a real sacrifice, it counts. Those XP can never be refunded - you can get more, sure, but the ones spent buying that Ox-Body can't be refunded - nor can the time you spent training.

I would think that the sacrifice needs to be something tangible, like Secret's weapon or a body part. Beside, if Marena reconciles, she becomes Countess, or Duchy, or whatever the title would be.

I would think that the sacrifice needs to be something tangible' date=' like Secret's weapon or a body part.[/quote']
It does not need to be so. Cannonical sacrifices include a person's insecurities, one person's resistance to the memories of her previous incarnation, and love for one person. Listed sacrifices include various relationships.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that Exalted can learn one-or-two spells without having to undergo the trials, right?

No. You have to complete the Trials to learn Sorcery charms. You need the charm to learn spells.

jeriausx said:
No. You have to complete the Trials to learn Sorcery charms. You need the charm to learn spells.
Yes, but the thing is that people tend to make a Big Deal out of the Trials - especially the Sacrifice trial.

I think that's wrong. It's entirely in-theme for the Exalted to kick such cosmic truisms as sacrifice in the balls by sacrficing something real but petty, and relatively easily replaced (by their standards.)

Such as, say, sacrificing their health levels by having a friend beat them within a health box of their life, only to have another friend Solar Medicine them back to hale and hearty in a few hours.

I think those kind of sacrifices do work, but they'll come back to bite you somehow. The Five Trials are supposed to have lessons that they teach, aside their metaphysical transformation whoosit: if you "cheat the test", then you'll assuredly pass, but later on you'll find you're missing something important.

Sacrifice, for example, gives something value. The more you give up, the more importance you'll attach to what you go in return. If you lost something big, then you'll dedicate yourself more to learning the sorcery you got in exchange, and become a better sorcerer.

I would think that the sacrifice needs to be something tangible' date=' like Secret's weapon or a body part. Beside, if Marena reconciles, she becomes Countess, or [b']Duchy[/b], or whatever the title would be.
GRAMMAR NAZI ATTACK!
Duchy is the land ran by a Duke or Duchess.

Now back to our regularly scheduled mayhem.

/rant

I would think that the sacrifice needs to be something tangible' date=' like Secret's weapon or a body part. Beside, if Marena reconciles, she becomes Countess, or [b']Duchy[/b], or whatever the title would be.
GRAMMAR NAZI ATTACK!
Duchy is the land ran by a Duke or Duchess.

Now back to our regularly scheduled mayhem.

/rant
So only an Alchemical can become a duchy? :P

Jukashi said:
I think those kind of sacrifices do work, but they'll come back to bite you somehow. The Five Trials are supposed to have lessons that they teach, aside their metaphysical transformation whoosit: if you "cheat the test", then you'll assuredly pass, but later on you'll find you're missing something important.
Sacrifice, for example, gives something value. The more you give up, the more importance you'll attach to what you go in return. If you lost something big, then you'll dedicate yourself more to learning the sorcery you got in exchange, and become a better sorcerer.
Any "coming back to bite you" is purely the ST throwing complications at you/being an out-and-out dick.

And let's face it, Celestial Exalted literally cannot take a bath without complications arising. So there'll be complications arising no matter what - no need to sacrfice something you can't replace, like your sense of innocence or your access to your Dodge charm tree (or Charms altogether!!!) when you can sacrifice something that costs you but is in the grand scheme of things not irreplacable - sacrificing a three-dot artifact to the God of Sorcery, or buying without recieving a dot of Ox-Body, one's vitality capacity permanently sacrificed on the alter of sorcery.

And if the ST is being an out-and-out dick, tell him off for it.

Besides, most people only want Pretend this gigantic flock of refugees is an army and zoom them across the landscape and Swiss Army Knife of the First Circle anyway, possibly Make ration petals fall from the sky - dabblers. They just want the stuff that covers the glaringly obvious holes in their charm sets, not to delve the mysteries of the cosmos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back