• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom I Just Died in Your Arms (Irradiatedwarden)

Naloru breathed a sigh of relief when Sig moved to the bar. At least that meant she was satisfied. But Naloru still couldn't answer her.

"I'I'm really not," she said weakly. She was about to reach her limit. "Look, why don't you help yourself to the kitchen? I'll be right back. I promise!"

Naloru didn't wait–lest Sigdis try and stop her physically–and ran out of the inn, Bartrand on her heels. She ran to the greenhouse, slamming the door behind her and locking it. She breathed in. She breathed out. Then she slumped against the door and willed herself not to cry. By Sithis, she'd cried more in the last three weeks than in her entire life. She didn't want to make a habit of it.

She couldn't avoid the situation forever, but Naloru would be damned if she let Sigdis force her into spilling Grim's secrets. So, she set herself to work on gathering herbs, specifically ones to fight infection and improve the healing process. In a few hours she'd head back to the inn, and maybe by then, Grim would be awake. Or at least, Sigdis would have enough drinks in her to make her amiable again.

Left alone to her own devices Sigdis popped open an ale but couldn't quite make herself get more than halfway done with it before she felt sick with herself. The emotions that had raged through her so quickly all started to settle, leaving her exhausted in more ways than she could count. The bottle was abandoned on the counter as she went to open that door one last time.

Still breathing.

She repeated those words to herself as she pulled her cloak on once more and stomped out of the inn. She didn't bother trying to find Nal and tell her that she was going to Grim's place, that she was looking to rest up for a bit and gather some clothes for him. Nal didn't deserve to know and more than that, she probably didn't even care.

Bitter and tired, she vanished in silence, unaware that Grim had already started to regain consciousness.

Naloru returned to the inn a few hours later to find Sigdis gone, which surprised her, given the nord's earlier reaction. Naloru tried her best to clean up quietly, leaving the mug in the sink rather washing it immediately. She spent some time finalizing a few poultices before she forced herself to stand up.

No more avoiding. She needed to make sure he was okay.

The door creaked as she opened it and she flinched, but it turned out that she needn't have been so quiet. Grim's eyes were open and alert. Most of all, they were human. Naloru breathed in. She could handle that.

If wasn't like Grim was the first she'd ever met. I'm her sanctuary, one of her sisters had lycanthropy. But she'd never witnessed one in action. She'd never seen one rip out a throat. She'd never seen one turn.

She moved quietly toward him, poultice ready in her hands. Without speaking, she sat down beside him and began to peel back the bandages with shaking fingers. She refused to look at him, and let him see her fear, and her guilt.

An hour was wasted drifting in and out of sleep before Grim could finally keep himself alert. He was quiet as he slowly worked to sit up, taking stock of all the wounds he had sustained. They were bandaged and though the work wasn't bad, it wasn't professional either. Nal must have done it herself, which meant she hadn't brought anyone else in. No one else knew. It was a small blessing, all things considered.

The door opened and he turned his head slowly to watch her, letting it rest back against one of the pillows. She didn't talk, didn't look at him, and Grim could hear the small voice in the back of the head that told him he was disgusting.

"How long was I out?" His voice felt alien to his ears, raw and far too quiet.

"Maybe seven or eight hours," Naloru responded with surprisingly soothing words, given her panic attack not a hour earlier. She smoothed out the reapplied bandage beneath her fingers and began to probe the one that held his stomach together. "How are you feeling?"

The more they talked, the calmer Naloru became. His voice, though cracked and warbly, reassured Naloru. He was still the same old Grim. The more they talked, the more she began to forget the images that had haunted her.

"I guess I feel as good as I look...which is, ah, not good at all."

Everything still hurt, making it hard to do as much as breathe. He didn't think he'd be getting up any time soon, which mean he'd miss work, and that meant he'd have to have a good excuse that didn't include turning into a furry wolf man. Great.

He wet his dry, cracked lips, feeling his tongue catch on the skin for a moment. "Thanks. For patching me up."

Grim so rarely expressed gratitude of any sort, and it shocked Naloru enough to make her look up at his face for the first time. The bruises drew her eyes first, but eventually they fell his eyes, sending waves of emotion rushing back at her. She was was foolish for being so scared. So she took his hand between her own.

"Always, Grim," She whispered, an intensity in her own gaze that she rarely displayed. She fingers still quaked, ever so slightly, but it was progress.

"Grim, I–" Her confession was interrupted by the slamming of the front door and the stomping of boots. Sigdis had returned, and Naloru groaned.

"I forgot to mention that Sidis knows about your... state of health."

Last edited by a moderator:
Her hand wrapped around his and Grim wanted to squeeze it, but couldn't find the strength to do much more than let her hold his limp hand, his skin still warm despite it all. She looked so serious and he could feel the soft tremors against his hand, but whatever she was about to say had been cut off by the sound of boots.

"Hm?" He blinked, mind catching up to what she had just said. "Oh, yeah. She's known for a few years."

And just as those words were spoken the blonde in question appeared with a bundle of clothes and blanket in hand.

"You're still kicking? Shit, and here I thought I was about to inherent your house."

"Even if I died the only thing you'd get would be a letter expressing how much I loath you."

And she snorted at that. "Sounds about right. Anyway, I brought you some clothes and that quilt you like, figured you'd like to have them once you stop bleeding all over the place."

"You're so thoughtful it might just melt my frozen heart."

Naloru just kind of gaped them.

"So– So she knows? A-bout the whole..." Naloru couldn't form words. So she got screamed at for nothing. She sighed. Last time she tried to keep a secret for Grim. Instead, she stood up to take the blanket from Sigdis, in order to drape it over over Grim's feet, which stuck out of the blanket.

"I'm sorry for earlier, Sigdis," Naloru murmured, "I didn't know you already knew and I didn't..." She glanced at Grim. "It was his secret to tell. I didn't want to intrude."

"It's fine, it's good to know now that you like lying to me."

"Sigdis." Grim's tone was surprisingly sharp, his eyes narrowing. "Don't do this. Not now. Naloru's done a lot for us."

"A lot for yo-." And she stopped herself. Biting the inside of her cheek, Sigdis held her breath for a long moment before it came rushing out of her nose in a huff. "Whatever, it's fine. But you sound like you tried to deep-throat a rock so I'll go get you some water."

Setting down the pile of folded clothes, Sigdis slipped back out of the room, leaving Grim frowning.

"I'm sorry." His eyes fluttered shut, head lulling back. "You got put in a bad situation."

I, um," By Sithis, did she always stutter this much? Besides, it wasn't as if Sigdis was completely wrong. Naloru lied to everyone. The fact had always tasted bitter on throat, but more so now that she had someone–Grim–to confide in. Or perhaps her conscious just felt guiltier than usual.

"It's okay. It's not like it's your fault. I'm just glad you're alright." Naloru patted his hand before she removed it and stood up. She propped her hands on her hips, and let her mouth twist into a smirk that weakly resembled her usual expression."A-anyway, You'd better rest up and get out of my inn. Can't take your money if you aren't up and drinking my ale."

She slipped out of the room, passing Sigdis at the doorframe as she presented Grim with a glass of water. The nord was determined to stay angry with Nal, and she didn't want to lose a friend, but she couldn't do more than she'd already done. She'd have to let it go, and leave it for another time. For now, she set to cleaning up the inn and preparing for the evening's customers.

It was weird how exhausting it was to just rest in bed for days on end. Grim hated it. He was itching to get up and move, but the simple act of standing was enough to have him collapsing the first day he tried it. With Naloru's help, however, by the end of the week he could walk on his own so long as he took it slow and was careful not to reopen the wounds.

He took his time getting dressed in the morning, slowly packing his things up before he made his way out into the main room of the inn. He liked the place, even without a bustling crowd it seemed so warm, so cozy.

"Nal." The womer in question was wiping a table down. "I think I'm going to try and head home today I-" he paused, his words coming slower, "I just really wanted to thank you again for your help and understanding. You're a good friend."

As the sound of slow trodding feet, Naloru looked up from her table and greeted Grim with a smile, the morning sunshine placing a halo around the loose wisps of her hair. She tossed the rag down and crossed over to him, ready to jump the second he wavered. The past few days had trained her to hover, and she knew that wasn't her most attractive trait. Still, she wanted to be of use, so she poised ready to leap.

But his words brought a blush creeping up her face. Friend. How forthright of him. But Naloru felt the same. Somehow, Grim had transformed from troublesome customer to friend.

You know you're welcome, Grim, but are you sure? It's a ways back to the cabin. And you'll be by yourself..." Her eyebrows scrunched up. "What if you need help?"

Naloru would prefer he stayed where she could keep an eye on him. She knew better than anyone the anxiousness that came with laying in bed all day, but returning to an empty house? Couldn't she just give him some chores to keep him busy?

With a soft sigh, he looked towards the windows, as though contemplating the journey. She was right, it was far, but he couldn't stay huddled up inside. Part of him wanted to tell her that he wouldn't be alone, that Sigdis would be around, but he knew that chances were more than good she'd skipped town again without a word. The other part wanted to argue that he was used to being alone, though that was starting to feel less and less truthful with every passing day.

He settled for giving her a dry half smile.

"I'm flattered you're so worried about me, but I think I'll be okay. I figure if I don't show up after a day or two you'll come looking for me anyway and make sure I haven't gotten myself hurt again."

Naloru chuckled, a sound like tinkling bells filling the air. Naloru still found herself jumping at the memories the werewolf attack, but at least they could laugh like this again. her stomach felt warm and light.

"You're right, heaven forbid I find you passed out on the floor again," she moved a bit closer and propped her fists on her hips. "I could walk you back, if you'd like the company. And I could stand to get some exercise." Apparently an assassin raid and a werewolf attack weren't enough physical exersion. Mostly, Naloru just wanted to hear Grim laugh.

"No, don't answer, I've already made up my mind." She shedded her apron and flipped her hair back from her shoulder. "Let's go! I'll carry your things."

He liked hearing her laugh, there was something so nice about it. He didn't think he could recall her doing it much before, well, not genuinely at least. With their barriers stripped down, everything felt so much more real, so much like he could just reach out and brush the back of his finger against her cheek. The impulsive thought made his hand twitch ever so slightly at his side.

"You know if you just want to spend more time with me that's all you have to say." He let his smile widen, eyes warming as he teased her. Holding out his small pile of things that had all been wrapped in his quilt, he let her take the items without a fight.

Pushing the door open, he held it for her, feeling the crisp, fluffy snow flakes that lazily drifted down from the sky brush against his skin. Without the wind the weather seemed less monstrous and more magical, pretty even. It would be a good day, he decided.

"Keep dreaming," Naloru smirked, taking the things from his hand, "I just need a walk, is all!"

Naloru grinned wide and skipped out the door, Grim's pack of things slung over her shoulder. Though the morning felt crisp against her skin, she certainly didn't feel cold. Her heart swelled, beating blood quickly through her limbs, a surge of energy. But she reined it in, matching Grim's slow and wide strides with a small skip here and there. A few moments of comfortable silence passed, then Naloru spoke.

"I'm thinking of taking a stab at cooking again," she started, her free hand swinging beside Grim. Every once in a while her hand would knock his, causing her to grin and shuffle a couple inches away. "Nethyn's all but moved out, and the fish stew is starting to get old. What do you think?"

"I think that's a good idea. I'm not a particularly skilled cook, but if you want some help with the basics I think I owe you at least that much for putting up with me for as long as you have." He glanced at her, their knuckles accidentally brushing again. Well, he couldn't really call it an accident if he had done it on purpose, could he?

Just as he was about to reach out with his fingers, capture hers within his, ghostly images of people appeared from the snow down the path, their robes long and making the snow dance about their feet as the fabric dusted the ground.

Grim recoiled his hand, shoving it in his pocket as he watched. He wasn't too alert, the town was a small one, yes, but the road they were on was home to many travelers and, well, men in robes weren't the strangest thing he'd ever seen.

Naloru didn't respond to Grim, her eyes locked on to the robed figures moving towards them on the path. Usually the assassins after her had more subtlety than to attack her in such a public place, but she felt like she could never be too careful. Instinctively, she moved ahead of Grim, though her slender frame shielded less than half of him.

One robed figure held out a crystal, about the size of a soul gem. A faint glow emitted from the dull red rock, which grew brighter as they approached. Naloru slowed down, but the figures continued advancing. In the shadows of one person's robe, Naloru caught the glimmer of silver. It was dark, but Naloru's eyes could make out the familiar shape of Stendarr's symbol.

"It looks like a our pleasant stroll is coming to an end," Naloru muttered, loud enough only for Grim to hear. They couldn't fight them, not in the middle of the road. Naloru veered to the left, arm looping around Grim's to pull him along. A she expected, the figures leapt to action, pulling out swords and following them. "By Sithis, Grim," she growled, pulling him faster. Reopening his wounds would be the least of their problems if they were cornered. "It certainly is not your week."

The air around them tensed and as soon as the figure puled a stone, Grim knew what was about to happen.

Nal was right, this really wasn't his week. It had been so long since his lycanthropy had been the heart of so many problems, had been so long since it had controlled his life with an iron grip, and yet, just as he was convincing himself it wasn't a problem, it had become one once more.

It hurt to run, but he did so anyway. There was no choice in the matter, it was either run and deal with the pain, or be killed.

Death didn't seem like such a good option right then.

"It's never my week." He all but growled the words, the sound of the priests shouting filling the previously calm air around them. A flash of pain made him hiss through his teeth as he fought to keep breathing through it. "What do you propose we do?"

Killing the priests seemed to be the only option, but bodies would attract more attention. Attention would mean he'd have to leave.

He couldn't do that. Not now. No, now he had too much to lose.

As they sprinted through the trees, Naloru's eyes flitted left and right, searching desperately for places to hide. Already, Grim's panting weighed on her ears, just as perspiration gathered along his brow. Behind him, the footfalls grew closer. Any options they had were dwindling quickly.

"I don't suppose they take prisoners," She muttered. she didn't need an answer. The glint of sunlight against silver spoke loudly enough. Naloru gritted her teeth.

Up ahead and to their right, a slab of rock jutted out. It offered protection on their flanks, but they'd be cornered. Even as the plan formulated in her mind, she could hear Grim's protests. He never was one for being protected.

"Grim," she said as she leaned against him, encouraging him to veer towards the cliff face, "I know you're not one for sitting out a fight, but won't you leave this one to me?" She could handle the priests, just as soon as she didn't feel the fear of Grim bleeding out. She'd seen enough of that for a lifetime.

The comment about prisoners would have made him laugh, had it not been so dreary, or, rather, had it not meant he was about to be killed.

As she leaned into him, Grim couldn't help but follow her silent instruction, his body being angled to the exact place she wanted him to go. All the while he listened. She was right, he wasn't one for sitting out a fight and if he had been sporting even one less wound, he wouldn't have listened to her. He would have fought tooth and nail because that's what he did. That's what he knew.

No one ever saved him, not until now.

He didn't want her to go, his gut reaction was to pull her closer to him, and yet, he didn't.

Naloru wasn't some damsel in distress, he reminded himself. He'd seen her fight before, he'd seen her win.

She'd be okay.

"Be careful. Please."

He hated the way the last word sounded on his tongue, it was too sharp and short to carry the weight it really needed to. Please was just an easier way of saying that he couldn't afford to lose her. Not now.

With that he released her hand, freeing her to do what she needed to.

With Grim's words echoing in her head, Naloru stepped forward, her feet splayed wide. Already she had her knives in hand, held between each of her fingers for quick draw. The fastest of the priests came into view, barreling towards them with his sword held high. Naloru breathed in slowly, counting the seconds.

Be careful. Please.

When he was close enough, she flicked her wrist. The knife hit his left eye, and he screamed as he went down, writhing in pain before the blood flooded his brain. Just as he went still, another one–a redguard–appeared out of the trees. Naloru didn't wait for her to near the body.

Be careful.

At such a distance, it took two knives, one that caught her neck and another in her heart. Mercifully, her death came swiftly, with only the smallest gurgle as she drowned. Only two more, and Naloru had one throwing knife left.

Please.

But ever since the werewolf attack, she'd started carrying a dagger, strapped discretely to her ankle.When the pair came into view, Naloru sprinted forward, pulled the dagger free as she ran. The knife caught one man in the shoulder, and Naloru silently cursed. He dropped his sword, only to raise his other hand and begin casting magic. But magic took time.

The uninjured priest met her dagger with his sword. His weight bearing down in her, she saw from the corner of her eye the fireball building. She let the other priest push her over, the tip of his sword slicing her cheek. THe flames glided over her, singing the man's cloak. It was enough of a distraction for Naloru to hook her foot around his ankle and send him reeling. Her dagger free, she plunged it into his chest.

Another fireball erupted, and Naloru barely rolled out of its way while dislodging her dagger. She wished for a bow as her back stung from the heat. She counted to three, one second for each word Grim had breathed, then she pushed off the ground into the face of yet another flame spell.

he didn't have the time to cast a third time. Naloru's dagger plunged through the ethereal flames and into the final man's heart, stopping his concentration. She twisted her wrist, and pulled back. He dropped.

Turning around, Naloru's heart calmed when she saw Grim exactly where she'd left him, no less worse for wear. Read had begun to blot his grey shirt, but not with urgency. Naloru returned to his side.

"All done," She murmured with a light smile.

Be careful.

The idea that those were the last words he would ever say to her started to sink in as she all but vanished, running off to engage in a fight that wasn't hers to start with. She could have left, probably should have left, but she hadn't. He was left alone, his thoughts repeating themselves like water rushing over a wheel as the cold started to sink into his skin.

Her. All of his fears were poured into her.

She was a fighter, a killer, but so were the priests and they had come prepared. They had every upper hand.

Any yet, it was Naloru who returned, not unscathed, but alive none the less. He hadn't been that happy to see someone in a long time. Instinct made him step forward, a hand reaching out to draw her close to him before something stopped, as though ice had formed in his muscles and locked his joints.

As quickly as relief came, it was gone.

The priests were dead.

Everyone would know. Everything he had built, for as small as it may have been, was about to be ripped out from under his feet again.

Again.

There was something so dark in his eyes, so heavy with the weight of the world and the knowledge of loss. He couldn't tell if he was angry at this point, or if he was just sad.

"No. There'll be more. People will know about you - me."

He shook his head and moved to step past her, his arm retracting so he could hold the wound that had started to bleed in all of the excitement.

"We have to leave."

For a moment, Grim had looked relieved, the start of a smile crept up on the corners of his mouth. It was when he saw the bodies piled behind her that his features darkened, a tainted mixture of frustration and fear clouding up in his soft green eyes. When his outstretched hand fell, Naloru's eyes followed it, and trained onto a small patch of clovers beside him that fought the still-lingering frost of early spring.

It had been years since Naloru had last felt any sort of pride for killing. Even under more ideal circumstances where she had control, her heart could never escape the painful stab of guilt that would forever dig into her heart. Grim's expression magnified the feeling tenfold, nearly crushing her altogether. She didn't want to be a killer, but she knew no other way to survive. As much as she wanted to defend herself, make excuses, beg for forgiveness, this part of her would never change, no matter how much either of them wished for it.

As a feeble attempt to redeem herself, she wrung her hands, and offered a solution, any solution that would keep him from disappearing altogether.

"I have a friend, in Black Marsh. We could stay with her, for a time. Until things blow over. If... if you don't want to go with me, I can stay behind, and send anybody who shows up onto a different trail." She looked up from the clover patch, but her eyes met with Grim's broad, hunched shoulders. "You don't have to leave for good. We can fix this."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back