• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom I Just Died in Your Arms (Irradiatedwarden)

Grim remained silent as she spoke, not daring to interrupt her or even move as she worked her way through her memories. Slowly he worked to piece together who she was, how she came to be the womer who sat before him right then. Ultimately, she had never had a choice, had she? She had been young when she was taken by them, had been hungry for affection when that Lariul came into her life. She was a victim of her surroundings and even away from it all she wasn't free.

He hoped she would be one day.

Ultimately it didn't matter what she had done, because that wasn't her anymore. She wasn't Nal the assassin, she was Nal the inn keeper, the one opening up to the Nord who had harassed her from day one and he couldn't imagine how hard that had to be for her.

He reached out, his scarred and torn hand gently touching hers.

"Thank you for telling me." He spoke softly, his tone low and deep. "I don't think I can ever understand what it's like but I can try."

When Grim touched her hand, Naloru shifted so that her fingers could wrap around his palm. The connection felt nice, nicer than she'd felt in a long time. "Thank you... for not leaving. You're, uhm, the first person I've ever told all of that." She paused, choosing her next words carefully. "It's definitely refreshing."

She'd told him everything he wanted to know, but they had yet to discuss the true issue, and the events that had just occurred. Naloru braced herself again.

"Grim, about what just happened..." She swallowed. "I'm... really sorry. Are you okay?" She squeezed his hand. "You got hit by a couple arrows..."

He didn't pull away when she made a move to actually hold his hand, rather, he wrapped his fingers around hers and gave a tiny squeeze.

"I'm fine. I'm good at taking a beating." A huff of a chuckle followed his words as he shook his head. Yeah, good at taking a beating, that was one way to put it. He considered telling her why that was, why he healed so damn well and could do things that would kill most others, but now wasn't the time for his issues. This was about her.

"You got hurt worse than me, though. Are you going to be alright?" A pause. "Are they going to come back?"

Naloru rubbed the side of her stomach, feeling the wound ache under her fingers. "I'm okay. My friend Fienlef in Winterhold patched me up pretty well." She yawned. If anything, she was just really, really tired. She laid her head down on the table, closing her eyes while she spoke.

"As for the Brotherhood, they always come back. Maybe I should just leave...?" She sighed, and rubbed her forehead into the table.

"You walked all the way to Winterhold? Naloru you-." He'd just been about to get on to her when he saw just how tired she was. Now wasn't the time for a lecture. Another sigh escaped him.

"Don't leave. at least here you know you can make a stand. I'll help you. Whenever you need me." His hand slipped out of hers and the chair scraped on the floor as he stood. "But right now you need to get some rest and I suppose I need to get out of your hair before you regret talking to me in the first place."

Amongst the responses that floated through her tired mind were, "Don't go", "I'm not tired", or "I won't regret it". Naloru swallowed her tongue before she said something stupid. "Mmm. Yeah, let's call it a night." She smiled up at him without lifting her head. "Thank you again, Grim. I'll see you tomorrow night?"

He rarely felt nervous and after a week of spending time with Nal, he didn't feel nervous around her. But the soft humming of bees made him feel on edge, like if he took one wrong step he might find himself with a dozen stingers embedded in his face. The thought made him scratch his beard as he looked to Naloru, his gaze soft. There was something different about her now though he couldn't quite put a finger on it. He'd rater watch her than the bees, the way her hair moved, how she shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

She seemed happier out there than inside.

"So, bees."

He paused awkwardly, not quite knowing where to go from there.

"How long have you been, you know, growing them?" He blanched. What in Oblivion? "Raising them."

Naloru snorted at Grim's poor attempt to sound interested and bit down the urge to flip her hair out of her face. That never went well with a hand full of bees. Instead, she carefully inspected the fuzzy insects that cuddled with her fingers, checking each one for signs of disease. Once satisfied, she coaxed them back into their hives.

"Hmmm, well," She murmured, removing her gloves and turning around to face Grim, "Only around five years. I began cultivating my first hive in the Sommerset Isles, with my grandmother." She scrunched up her nose. "It's half the reason I chose to settle down in Skyrim. Bees don't particularly like to travel." Few animals did. Bartrand always had a poor habit of refusing to eat after longer trips.

A movement outside of the greenhouse caught her eye, causing her head to turn. She saw nothing but dense forestry, the leafy bushes bursting with life as spring began to roll in, but her ears perked at the sound of Bartrand's far-off growl from the inn's porch. Something was out there.

She tugged at Grim's sleeve as she slipped past him on quick toes. "I think we have a visitor," her tone suggested it wasn't the welcome kind. "I'll go on ahead, will you be sure to close up the greenhouse behind you?" She rushed out the door, whistling for Bartrand.

He was almost thankful for the interruption, it meant he didn't have to worry about talking, about making a fool out of himself for a second time that day. Grim was quick on her heels following her out of the greenhouse pausing only to check to make sure the door was shut firmly behind him.

The air felt colder on his skin in comparison to the green house, fresh and crisp, though Grim wasn't able to linger on the sensation. From the line of trees Grim could hear movement, the smashing of branches and just as he caught scent of what it was, the beast burst through the forest. It was massive and mangy, clumps of fur missing to show raw, powerful muscle that flexed and coiled as it bounded forward.

"Get back! Get inside!" His hand had grabbed Nal and shoved her backwards by her shoulder, voice raw with just how powerful his words had become. There was fear inside of him, something that was all too clear in those simple syllables.

Still, he ran towards the fight rather than away from it. It was larger than he was in either form and in the back of his mind he knew just how outmatched he was, but that wouldn't stop him. What other option did he have?

Naloru saw the creature before Grim did, her body going rigid. It had the appearance of a wolf, but it stood tall and proud on its hind legs, nose pointed towards the wind. If not for the fear for her life, Naloru might've paused to watch the beast in all of its elegant glory. Instead, the minute it met her eyes, she took Grim's advice and back-peddled towards the inn.

But Grim didn't follow her. he ran toward it.

"Are you crazy?" She screamed, her feet stopping. He didn't turn around, though she imagined hearing him scream at her again. Was he planning to fight the thing? Terror forced her limbs to start moving again, though the creature's attention was directed towards Grim now. By Sithis, where were those damned priests when they needed them?

Well, Naloru wasn't about to let Grim fend off a werewolf alone. She dashed into the inn only to grab her bow. She couldn't have taken more than thirty seconds to prepare herself and lock Bartrand in the kitchen. But when she returned to the porch, she found herself facing not one werewolf, but two, with Grim nowhere in sight.

The one chance he had to glance back at her proved that she was gone. Good. That was one less thing to worry about. It was a thought that didn't have time to stick with him as his gaze landed on the colossal werewolf once more, the one that had taken to barreling towards him. It was like something out of a nightmare and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't afraid.

The beast lunged and Grim could feel his bones popping, flesh ripping open wide as his muscles destroyed and rebuilt themselves just in time to meet the force of the attack. They both hit the ground, a writhing mess of teeth and claws, of shredded fur and blood until Grim managed to free himself. Pulling himself up to his full height, something that was still so small compared to the other, Grim bowed his arms back and let out an inhuman sound, something taunting as blood oozed out of thin lines along his chest.

Teeth bared to the world, the other werewolf growled before making another swipe at Grim only to miss by a heartbeat. Grim was already moving, on the retreat towards the woods with the hopes that the monster would follow him. Getting to cover would be his best chance and the Beast inside of him knew that. It was familiar ground, and if he could just keep the monster away from the others, then only he would get hurt.

The beasts tumbled with each other, maws spitting saliva as they viciously snapped towards the other's throat. For a moment, Naloru couldn't decipher one from the other. But eventually it became clear the that the larger of the two–its fur a chocolate brown several shades darker than the smaller one–had the advantage in strength. The smaller one barely avoided getting ripped to shreds through finesse and speed. Eventually they broke away from each other, giving Naloru a chance to aim, but as soon as she lifted her bow, the smaller creature took off running, with the large one on its heels.

With the danger out of her face, Naloru slumped against the pillar of the porch and took a deep breath. Inside, Bartrand howled anxiously, desperate to be a part of the chaos. Naloru ignored him. He would have to deal with the safety of his imprisonment on his own.

Grim was still nowhere in sight. At first, Nal had hardly paid attention to his sudden disappearance, assuming that he had run off to his home or something. But the surrounding forests were quiet; quiet enough that Naloru could hear past the whispering of the breeze. She was alone. Had he been killed? Eaten alive? Captured by the werewolves?

She skirted the inn and found no signs of ripped off limbs, only spatter of blood from the beasts. Either he'd been devoured whole or...

Though her mind couldn't really process it, her instincts propelled her, pushing her to take off running in the direction of the two werewolves.

Broken tree limbs and half crushed bushes marked the trail the two had blazed, bits of fur catching on the tree trunks and spots of blood soaking in to the snow. For Grim, it was all a blur. He led the way, crashing through the underbrush as the larger werewolf trailed behind him until he was close enough for claws to sink in to Grim's shoulder and throw him backwards.

It was then everything seemed to slow down. He could feel every ounce of panic thrumming through his body as he worked to get his feet under him again. Teeth were in his face, claws raking down his back and splitting sinew. He howled, then, in rage, in pain.

Blood matted in his fur as he swiped the beast across the face, claws scratching his eyes to make him recoil long enough for Grim to attack. He threw his weight into the beast and they tumbled down, a symphony of gnashing teeth and snarls following them until grim sun his long, sharp ivories into the thick leathery neck of the larger animal. It screamed and thrashed, clawing and pushing, breaking ribs and destroying all that it could of Grim and yet he never let go.

He tightened his jaw, locking it until he could feel a soft pop under his teeth and the soft strangled sounds of the beast trying to breath. He pulled. Ripping backwards he took the throat with him as his own body gave out from the physical strain he had put on it. The pain he had been blind to hit him all too quickly as he fell backwards, his body popping and joints groaning as the curse started to fade away in an agonizingly slow process. The beast was still alive, its own blood cursing it to continue to struggle as it lay there gaping for air, grasping at the hole in its throat.

The monster would be be dead soon Grim was sure, but the sounds...Grim was sure he'd never forget those sounds of suffering.

Naloru arrived towards the end of the fight, witnessing the scene of the continuing to thrash back and forth. She notched an arrow sent it flying, not particularly aiming for either beast. Nonetheless, she prayed it hit the large black one. Her aim struck true, and gave the smaller creature the opportunity to wrestle itself on top.

They struggled for a moment longer, then the light brown one sank its fangs into the other's throat. It was over. The wolf crunched and yanked, bloody muzzle pulling free. It stepped back to survey its deed, staring as the black beast gurgled. Naloru lifted her bow again, this time with her target determined, and shot. With an arrow embedded in its skull, the beast fell still.

The sound of her shot caught the attention of the other werewolf, and Naloru froze, eyes wide. Was this the end? Would it attack her now–

"...Grim?" She asked, she barely a whisper.

It was the eyes that gave him away. Mossy green with golden flecks, even in such a form. Naloru swallowed and took a step back... Until she saw the blood.

"You're bleeding," she croaked, several emotions caught in her throat at once. She lifted a hand, but suddenly she wasn't she wanted to help. Or even that she could.

"Grim, can you... hear me?"

There she was. He should have heard her coming, but he'd been lost in the moment, had been too busy trying to not have his body ripped in half to focus on anything but the fight. In the still of the moment, pain ebbing through every join in his body, Grim watched her. He could see the fear in her eyes, and then the confusion, the concern. What he didn't see was anger, and that gave him hope.

His vision splintered, cracking as darkness loomed on the edges. He felt light headed then, dizzy as his legs took a half stumbling step towards her. Muscles shaking, Grim slowly brought a hand up to reach out towards her, for help or comfort he wasn't sure, but just as he lifted the grotesque limb that was caught somewhere between man and monster, he felt the world slip away from him and he toppled forward. His head hit the ground, cold sinking in to his skin that slowly replaced the molting fur, bones audibly popping and cracking like firewood as they shrunk back down.

The wounds, however, didn't vanish as easily. Large lacerations covered his already scarred back and arms, dark bruises already forming where his ribs had been broken in the fight.

The creature reached out to her, and she thought it was all over. Eyes squeezed shut, she didn't see Grim faint before her, she only her the painful grunt of the air exhaling from his chest. She opened his eyes. He was human again.

She lifted a quaking hand towards his body, poking him lightly. It was rude, but she couldn't stop the fear inside her very bones. Whens he was sure he was real–and human– she snapped into action. It was no easy chore to drag him through the forest back to the inn, but she managed; Though she felt sure she'd opened his wounds further. She got him into the bed, and went to work.

"Looks like I finally get to pay you back for Bartrand," she whispered to him as she tended his wounds. Her hands still shook, but she found she could ignore everything she knew if she spoke. "I always wondered why you hadn't needed help at that time. I guess now I know," She coughed and placed cool wet cloth on Grim's broken ribs. "I suppose I have no right to be angry with secrets," she chattered away, "But it still hurts, you know."

Her hands balled into fists, and she laid them both upon his chest, bowing her head. "I'm scared, Grim. I'm scared of you. A-and I'm scared that I'll always be scared of you." She sighed and relaxed her fists, letting them slide off of him and onto the bed. She rested her head against the mattress next, and forced her eyes to close, praying that when she awoke next, she shaking of her hands would subside.

Whispers about a fight and strange animals had already made their way around the town and Sigdis had been around long enough to know what that meant. It was early in the morning when she bundled up and hurried towards the tavern, thick heavy clouds blocking out the sun and promising more snow in the days to come.

She didn't waste time trying to knock the snow off her boots when she entered, didn't even break stride when she pulled off her thick coat and tossed it on the nearest table.

"Nal?"

There was a unique twinge of panic in her voice, anxiety still holding her heart tightly. What if he wasn't there either? What if-. No, stop, she couldn't think like that. Entertaining the idea that Grim could be dead wasn't something she would allow herself to do.

"Nal are you in here?"

Naloru had dozed off beside Grim's bed, long enough to be disoriented at the call of her name. She groaned and looked around, taking a moment to identify the speaker. At first she felt relief–If anyone could handle this, it was Sigdis. Then she stopped. If Grim had kept this secret from her... Had he kept it from his best friend as well?

She rushed out of the room, quick to shut the door behind her and block it. "Hello, Sigdis," she greeted, her smile tight, "Welcome back. How was your trip?"

Please don't ask for Grim, please don't ask for Grim.

"Where in Oblivion is Grim?" She had blatantly ignored Naloru's attempt to ask her how she was. Now wasn't the time to spin half truthful stories for their amusement, nor was this the time to act like she had any tact at all.

"Is he here? Nal please tell me he's here." The panic was starting to rise in her words again, leaving her sentences uneven and raw.

Had she been focusing she might have noticed Nal guarding the door or the tight smile, the small ticks that would have usually had Sigdis picking at her until Nal unraveled and spilled what was going on, but it seemed like every second she didn't know where her friend was there was a higher and higher chance he might never show up again.

Gods above she hated him.

"H-he's, ahh," By Sithis, Grim, now would be a great time for you to wake up and explain yourself to the six foot two Nord, "asleep! In the room. Behind me, yes. Maybe we should quiet down, and let him rest?" She shuffled her feet and moved a bit closer to Sig in an effort to get her away from the door. "Hard day at the mines, he told me."

She felt terrible for lying, but she owed Grim a tremendous amount. She had to keep his secret.

"Please," she urged, "Let's go sit down at the bar, and I'll get you a drink."

Sigdis blinked and a strange mixture of emotions washed over her. Grim was there just behind that wall, he had to be alive and safe if Nal was trying to act so normal, and yet there was something about her words that rubbed Sigdis the wrong way. She had been his friend longer, had been the one to deal with this in the past, and there Nal was, barring her from seeing him.

Of course, she knew it wasn't really like that, but the feeling was there none the less.

"Don't lie to me." The panic had worked its way out of her words, bright blue eyes focusing on Naloru instead of the door behind her. "Please don't. I know what's going on and I just....I need to see how bad the damage is this time."

Maybe then she'd be able to calm down and have a drink. Then she'd be able to ask Nal how long she'd know.

"D-damage?" Naloru swallowed. How much longer could she keep this up? Sigdis obviously knew. But, without Grim awake, Naloru could do nothing else but lie. "He's fine, just a few cuts and bruises. No more than usual." At least felt some relief saying that. Grim did get beaten up a lot. Maybe if Sigdis could visualize him, she would let it go.

Naloru decided to change her approach, and stepped away from the door completely, dancing around Sigdis in order to reach the kitchen.

"Come on, Sigdis, let him sleep. Here, I have some ale right here for you. Would you like some stew as well?" Naloru concentrated on keeping her cheeks from twitching as she smiled.

"By Sanguine, Nal, do you understand what's happening?" She couldn't help the way her voice jumped up an octave. "I came back home to check on my friend only to find that he's not in his house and the next thing I know I'm hearing everyone talk about how they saw two monsters fighting on the edge of town? Do you know how gods damn terrified I am right now? And to make things worse there you fucking are lying to me."

Taking it out on Naloru was wrong, but Grim wasn't there to serve as a target dummy for her anger and she'd never been the sort to let it bubble up inside. Her throat tensed, contracting on itself.

"This is bullshit! No I don't want any ale and I don't want your stupid stew either. You know what I want? I want my friend, okay? Its that so much to ask? I just want my friend!"

Tears stung her eyes and she hated herself for it.

Well.

She crossed back over to the door. With care, she opened the door to reveal a sleeping Grim. For the most part, his bandages were still clean, and only one on his arm had bled through. But Naloru would handle that later. For now, she had to calm Sigdis down and do her damnedest to make up a believable excuse.

"I-I can explain," she whispered, her tongue catching on the roof of her mouth, "There were, um, two beasts and... Grim tried to scare them off b-but instead they, um, attacked him? And he tripped and fell down the mountain. Yeah. But he's fine, okay? He's okay, so..." She trailed off. Really, she just didn't want to be yelled at anymore. Really, she just wanted Grim to wake up and deal with it all for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigdis took a step closer to the door but made no move to enter it. Hand resting on the door frame, her gaze softened as she looked at him. He looked bad, worse than she'd ever seen him before. His skin was pale and the number of bandages she could see was bad enough before she remembered that there were likely wounds that she couldn't see as well. A shaky breath escaped her, followed by a sniffle as she tried to keep her tears from actually rolling down her face. He was alive, she could actively see him breathing, could see the small twitches of his eyelashes as he dreamed his pain away. That was what mattered.

And yet, seeing him lying there like that, looking so weak, it felt wrong.

"You're still lying to me." Her voice was soft again, the words still radiating something akin to hurt as she pulled back from the door and made her way over to the bar. Yeah, she needed a drink right then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back