First VS Second

wich do you you prefer please don't vote if you have only seen one

• First

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Perhaps an explanation is in order. "Twinking" is disliked because those who twink generally take actions that allow them to "win" over those that create an interesting story or that make things the most fun for everyone concerned. As such, they interfere with the true purpose of the game.

"Powergaming" is different; powergaming is to play an awesomely powerful character, generally in order to enjoy abilities, skills and victories that one cannot obtain in real life. As such, it is arguable that "powergaming" is one of the main factors of enjoyment in Exalted, due to the nature of the setting.

There's a difference between the two.

I know I'm a bloody twink' date=' I build my chars to live and play them to live, so twink isn't an insult neither in powergamer, or rules Lawyer.[/quote']
I didn't say it to offend.  I was merely pointing out a flaw in 1E that 2E has resolved quite well.

alohahaha said:
I know I'm a bloody twink' date=' I build my chars to live and play them to live, so twink isn't an insult neither in powergamer, or rules Lawyer.[/quote']
I didn't say it to offend.  I was merely pointing out a flaw in 1E that 2E has resolved quite well.
Sorry I took that way then.

I was did mean it as an isult.  It's lame.  It misses the point of the story.  It's not survival, it's just an excuse for poor imagination...

I was did mean it as an isult.  It's lame.  It misses the point of the story.  It's not survival' date=' it's just an excuse for poor imagination...[/quote']
It is pure survival why should I hafe to change my system because they fucked it up.

How did they fuck it up? Seriously man, because no you actually think on your feet like in a real brawl? Why is it inheriently fucked up? Because you can't simply stand and deliver anymore really?

What's fucked up is he's only read it, and from the sounds of it, more likely merely glanced at it, instead of actually trying it for a session or two...

Speaking of which I need to sit for a session or two, doing it online anymore isn't quenching the need for gaming *veils attempt to game as learning system* Sure..learning, even though I've read it all >.>

To throw my own argument in, then.

I was did mean it as an isult.  It's lame.  It misses the point of the story.  It's not survival' date=' it's just an excuse for poor imagination...[/quote']
It is pure survival why should I hafe to change my system because they fucked it up.
It's the Second Edition, mate.  Second.  Edition.  I'm not saying you have to play it, but what in the hell possessed you to expect (or assert, as it seems to be) that your tactics wouldn't/shouldn't have to change?  I dunno if you have much experience with gaming in general (and it seems you might not), but game systems have this odd tendency to change between editions.  It's pretty much the point of the whole thing.

Well, as a lot of folks here are converting to 2E--I've got a fair sized submission coming up that's based on 2E already in the works, and I suspect a few folks do as well--it only means that EM's protestations about it messing with his system will just fall off, since he will be further and further away from it.

Of course, that probably won't stop him kvetching about it, but it becomes less and less an issue.  I know that I've had an illustration that I would never have EM at my table.  I want folks who are there to create a great story, not just survive or "win".

The game isn't about pure survival--that's perhaps best left to the folks at Games Workshop and their tabletop wargames--it's about creating stories, about participating in great stories.  The less we can get bogged down in rolling of dice, and better the flow of the story, is a plus in my book.  

If EM is interested in "surviving" an experience, perhaps video games or tabletop wargames might be more up his alley...

Savageblitzer said:
To throw my own argument in, then.
It's the Second Edition, mate.  Second.  Edition.  I'm not saying you have to play it, but what in the hell possessed you to expect (or assert, as it seems to be) that your tactics wouldn't/shouldn't have to change?  I dunno if you have much experience with gaming in general (and it seems you might not), but game systems have this odd tendency to change between editions.  It's pretty much the point of the whole thing.
I'm 28 been gaming sence I was 10, and I know rules change between edtions thats why we have house rules, when we play the world of darkness the rules are a mixure of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and for battle we use Exalted 1st.

Now as for altering system thry didn't they threww the old one out the window and started over, well it at least it seems that way.

Well, as a lot of folks here are converting to 2E--I've got a fair sized submission coming up that's based on 2E already in the works, and I suspect a few folks do as well--it only means that EM's protestations about it messing with his system will just fall off, since he will be further and further away from it.
Of course, that probably won't stop him kvetching about it, but it becomes less and less an issue.  I know that I've had an illustration that I would never have EM at my table.  I want folks who are there to create a great story, not just survive or "win".

The game isn't about pure survival--that's perhaps best left to the folks at Games Workshop and their tabletop wargames--it's about creating stories, about participating in great stories.  The less we can get bogged down in rolling of dice, and better the flow of the story, is a plus in my book.  

If EM is interested in "surviving" an experience, perhaps video games or tabletop wargames might be more up his alley...
I [lay video games all the time, war games aren't personal enough and we do have great storys

Now as for altering system thry didn't they threww the old one out the window and started over' date=' well it at least it seems that way.[/quote']
They changed rounds to ticks, and made defense an unrolled value. Everything else is nearly identical.

-S

Yes, but the tick system means he can't hold his action until the end of the round, playing turtle.  So sad. So bad.  The system improves to end this sort of twinking, and he doesn't like it.  Awwwww.  Somebody get EM a picture of a big eyed kitten, STAT.

Somebody get EM a picture of a big eyed kitten' date=' STAT.[/quote']
You mean like this one?

cyclops_narrowweb__300x375,0.jpg

-S

Hey, you said, "big eyed kitten", and that kitten has a big fucking eye. :D

-S

Stillborn said:
Now as for altering system thry didn't they threww the old one out the window and started over' date=' well it at least it seems that way.[/quote']
They changed rounds to ticks, and made defense an unrolled value. Everything else is nearly identical.

-S
What Still said.  "They thew the old one out the window" is pure rubbish.

The destruction of your favourite tactic is hardly massive, anyway.  Even in 1e, action-delaying was a less efficient tactic once persistents started getting used, and even less of one when the game reached the stacked-persistent stage; the only use of it then was hoping that your enemy would blow their Charm for the turn on an attack you could defend against mundanely, letting you unload whupass on your turn.  And that was something a wise opponent was hardly likely to do.

Beides, your "system" was pinpointed as a common problem by WW - players would all delay their actions to go last, and thus destroy the flow of combat - so they introduced a counter in Power Combat; the penalty for action delays.  Really, since it already got nerfed in 1e, it's probably no real surprise that 2e works around it.

It seemed to me that not much has changed. And do we have anything on conversion out tere in h threads or officially?

I've posted my conversion methods on another thread. It's retardedly simple.

-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back