Fate/Crossed Souls

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Well, I suppose I can be considered half 'armless now. Don't suppose you could give me a hand with that?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“...Eh?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Your Servant’s expression briefly snaps to one of confusion as you speak. At the very least, it’s gotten his attention, though his gaze lingers on the clearly artificial replacement you’re now sporting. Clearing your throat, you begin to speak once more.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“I knew the risks of fighting this war Berserker. And you warned me about this beforehand. What’s done is done and I’ve lost an arm. But I’m not dead and neither are you.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]You offer him your hand and he’s initially hesitant. But sure enough, the black knight grabs your hand and stands. You can feel the hardened skin, the callouses of a well-trained swordsman’s palm. Yet, there’s also a distinct warmth - even if he is a Heroic Spirit, he’s still something human. He’s still frowning slightly, but you respond with a small and rare smile of your own. It’s actually somewhat difficult to muster up a genuine grin on command after years of stone-faced stoicism. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“I know. But you wouldn’t have lived without Caster’s help. The only thing I can do is kill for others…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Did you say Caster?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Ah, yeah. A Servant in a black coat suddenly showed up and told me he was going to save your life. I mean, with those kinds of abilities there was no way that he was any other Class. He was definitely a Servant.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“...Interesting.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Though you trust Berserker far more than you expected you would, losing another limb in a skirmish is something you’d like to avoid. There’s quite a bit lined up on your schedule and you have Berserker change into his street clothes in the hotel room as you do a quick check on the Bounded Fields. A brief survey of the area also yields no traces of that Enforcer’s hounds. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]When Berserker comes out in his usual attire you finally come to a consensus. You’re three days into the Holy Grail War and you still don’t know Berserker’s True Name or his Noble Phantasms. Getting to know him may be conducive to your war efforts and may help cheer him up. Of course, you can always put that off and contact Kun. Perhaps she’s uncovered more information about the other Masters - discussing your dream-like encounter with the apparent Caster would also help out her investigation. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px][ROUTE SPLIT][/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Go on a date with Berserker.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Contact Kun.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]So about that previous choice. Had you chosen 2 or 3, Sheila wouldn’t have lost an arm during the previous Episode’s ending. Sort of like Schrodinger’s Cat, choosing the puppet arm facilitated the lose of her left arm. 3 would have yielded no reward but he would have provided more information and hints to both his identity and Sheila’s true nature. As for this Route Split, it isn't as major as the one that comes further down the line. Though it will affect your Servant. [/SIZE]

1. Date with Berserker. As they always say you learn a lot about the other person from a date. 

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]You’ve done your research on the Master-Servant aspects of Holy Grail Wars, it’s not particularly uncommon for a magus and their Heroic Spirit to form an emotional bond. Hell, you’ve even heard of some Masters who have joined subcategory wars simply to (attempt) to romance legendary heroes. You glance at your Servant as he exits the room.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“...Berserker. How about we go out? Perhaps a little downtime might be necessary.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Eh? You’re still Sheila right? You seriously want to spend some time on somethinh other than this damn war?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“...I’m starting to regret asking you on a date.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“W-Wait, date? W-W-What are you talking about? I mean, I cut off your arm and now you’re c-courting me?!”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]His reaction is just as you expected and you remain stone-faced as his face is dyed a soft crimson. There certainly is something amusing about turning a battle-hardened warrior into a shy, stuttering mess. As far as you’re concerned, this is simply a way to cheer Berserker up. You step forward and ruffle his messy black hair before starting down the hall.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Perhaps. You can be dependable at times, let’s just see how this day goes.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]A measured, careful response from you that goads him forward. In all honesty, romance was never your strong suit, though manipulating others has become a rather useful talent for you. You catch yourself smiling, however, when you catch a glimpse of the small, uncharacteristic smile that spreads on Berserker’s face. It’s a stark contrast from last night.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The ride to Mayhunt’s Downtown area is silent, though for some reason you’ve grown more aware of the warmth emanating from Berserker’s tightly wrapped arms around your waist. It’s not uncomfortable, but you find yourself somewhat distracted during the cruise. On the way there, you caught sight of a Star Rock Cafe. With Berserker’s attire, he shouldn’t stick out there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]After parking at a nearby parking garage, you and Berserker begin your short trek to the music-themed restaurant. Berserker walking just behind you and keeps a short distance. Perhaps he’s nervous? It almost seems for a second that he’s begun to mope again. Sighing slightly, you slow down and approach Berserker. There’s only a brief glance shared between you before you take hold of his hand with your right.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“H-Hey… J-Just what do you think you’re doing? T-This is i-inappropriate…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Heroic Spirit of Madness struggles to speak as his face reddens and his gaze is pointed squarely at his feet. His palms have become rather sweaty and you begin to wonder whether he’s inexperienced or just simply from a more conservative time period. You take it a step further and intertwine your fingers with his, eliciting a yelp from your Servant.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“You looked distracted. Just try and enjoy yourself Berserker. Look, we’re almost there.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Y-Y-You’re a pervert! A deviant! This is just way too lewd…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]You brush off his silent protests as you narrow your eyes and glance around. As far as you can tell, there isn’t anything out of the ordinary here. Some robots are milling about and interacting with people or simply standing at attention and you don’t spot any flashes from nearby building windows. The Freeshooter definitely has you on edge though you’re holding onto a man with A Rank Endurance.[/SIZE]

hard-rock-cafe-interior-design_6933_950_555.jpg

Rock and Roll

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Star Rock Cafe’s interior is designed to look like a stage, and indeed there is a spot for a band to perform. However, it seems that you’ve come in while the performers are on their break. A shame, but perhaps they’ll return during your meal. There’s no one with orange hair lurking about with a harem of girls here so you let out a sigh and sink into the booth’s leather seating. Berserker brings the menu up in front of his face as you settle on the restaurant’s macaroni and cheese dish. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“...You know Twain, my first love was my cousin.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Oh? It’s rather uncouth of you to talk about former flames in front of your [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]date[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]. But I suppose I shouldn’t have expected anything less from you.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Tch, quit your damn teasing for a sec. My cousin was cute. Like, really fucking cute. I guess it was love at first sight for me - though I was pretty young. Didn’t know what love was, y’know?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“So you’re a European monarch of some sort then? I had already suspected your heritage, but the incest defini-”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Hahaha. No, nothing came out of that crush. I remember one summer when I visited her with a bouquet of followers and a ring I nabbed from my mother’s stash. I had this whole confession ready and I pretty much nailed the execution. And then she said yes. And then I learned that ‘she’ was a he.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]You snigger as you imagine the young Berserker’s face as a trap is sprung on him. Though immediately after, you bring a hand to your mouth and curse your own lack of control. Berserker lowers his menu, sporting not an embarrassed expression but one of bemusement. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Heh, I knew that’d make you laugh. I’m not the only one who’s gotta lighten up.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The server arrives and you place your orders. Berserker, as you’ve come to expect, has ordered an appetizer and the Star Rock Cafe’s (in)famous burger. You recall that the only reason he has such an appetite is because of the strange circumstances of his incarnation. You root around your pocket and feel the sharp edges of the golden card. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The appetizer arrives first and Berserker chows down on the wings like a man possessed. You’re certain that the mac and cheese will suffice so you turn your attention to him once more. Perhaps initiating some small talk will reveal more about him. Once more, you scout out the area. Your eyes briefly fall upon the distinct, bright hair of Ghyslain Richelieu who seems to be sharing a meal with an older man in similar vestments. At another table is what appears to be a young couple = a young man wrapped in black and dark blue clothing sitting across from a similarly aged woman wearing a red cloak. For now, it doesn’t seem like these people of interest are plotting anything against you so you begin to converse.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Berserker, tell me about your friends. I’m curious as to what kind of person would willingly keep you company.”[/SIZE]

2. [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Judging by your swordsmanship, you could have easily qualified as a Saber. I’m curious, tell me about your life - maybe a major battle perhaps?”[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=14.666666666666666px][WRITE-IN][/SIZE]

3. "Berserker tell me a story." 

(My gut is telling me to write this in as an option if it's too vague let me know >.<)

[SIZE= 1.3rem]2. "Judging by your swordsmanship, you could have easily qualified as a Saber. I'm curious, tell me about your life - maybe a major battle perhaps?"[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Berserker tell me a story.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]The food arrives, but Berserker isn’t stuffing his face with the appetizers. Rather, it seems that he’s fixated by your request. Perhaps he’s trying to sort out his own memories in that muddled mind of his? Even if he can function normally with a D Rank, the Class Skill must have surely impacted much of his own cognitive processes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]Finally, he moves to grab a a wing and tears into it with those sharp fangs. You can’t help but wince once more at the sight of his teeth, but as soon as he finishes he clears his throat and takes a deep sip from the complementary glass of water. His face scrunches up slightly before he begins to speak.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“A story? Tch, that’s too vague. But I guess I can try or somethin’.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Something else about you, if you would. I feel that asking for your name would be too forthright, learning a little something about you is more interesting.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“And here I took you for a pragmatist. I won’t lie, expected you to just try and Command me into telling you my True Name.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“I am. But I suppose that once in awhile it’s nice to succumb to the romance [/SIZE][SIZE= 14.6667px]of the situation. After all, you are a legendary hero brought back from the clutches of death to fight with others in the same situation.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Romance eh? I guess it all goes back to that.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]Certainly, there was something simply enamoring about the concept of the Holy Grail War besides the ultimate reward of a wish being granted. And, for some strange reason, you find yourself actually simply being unable to understand just why you joined. While you’re aware of the circumstances of your father’s death and the grudge you bear against Lord Sophia-Ri. A strange, almost alien feeling overwhelms you for a moment and it almost feels as if everything is beginning to shake. Red characters begin to peel off your skin an-[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Oi, Twain, don’t just conk out on me.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Eh? Ah, right. My apologies Berserker.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Well, anyways. Long ago, there was a princess. She was beautiful and the envy of every eye - no man alive wouldn’t have fallen in love with her at first sight.  She was purer than fresh snow and finer than erm, China? In a fucked up world where people tended to die real horribly for one thing or another, she was a rare sorta existence. ”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“...Were you that prin-”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“No, shut up, I just knew you were going to say that shit too. Where was I? Well, there was a tournament going on in a foreign land so that princess and her brother travelled there to participate. All the knights had already fallen in love with this foreign beauty and so she announced that she’d marry whoever managed to beat her brother. Now that I think about it, I guess they fell in love with her because she was something romantic[/SIZE][SIZE= 14.6667px].”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]He pauses to eat another one of the wings as you blink. You recall something peculiar happening just a few minutes ago, but why is it that you can’t actually remember that enigmatic feeling? When you recall the burning hatred you conceal under your cold front you find everything to be in line. The power you wished to obtain and the comeuppance you desired to deliver were logically, meaningless gestures to achieve a sense of closure through the subjective concept of justice. Humans truly ar-[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]Berserker snaps his fingers as you find your mind drifting off to God knows where again. He grimaces before wiping his mouth with a napkin and folding his arms.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Jeez, what’s up with you today? That Caster didn’t curse you or something, did he?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“It’s probably nothing to worry about. Just keep going.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Alright then… As luck would have it, someone did manage to kill her monster of a brother. But this only frightened the princess, who reneged on her proclamation, turned tail, and ran. Course, the knights who were in love with her chased her as she fled. And uh, I think there was a war going on or something? But like, as the story goes, one thing led to another and one man continued to chase her endlessly.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“And that’s you then?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“...Anyways, this man was the strongest of the King’s warriors and someone trusted with a powerful relic. Regardless of the loyalty he swore, the love he held for that princess was greater. Like I said before, she didn’t fit in with the story or something. An embodiment of ideals and the stuff o’ dreams? He chased after her endlessly, never stopping to rest nor looking back. But, that princess eventually fell for someone - a wounded warrior. When that man heard about that, he lost all of his wits. In his despair, he became a monster who tore through the world with his blade. A happy ending, right?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]He smiles bitterly, though the strange miasma that leaked from him the previous night hasn’t started to reappear. His Mad Enhancement Rank has risen to D+, however. It seems like even confronting these memories are enough to cause his madness to flare up. Not wanting to lose another limb (and perhaps feeling sympathetic), you reach out and place your hand over Berserker’s when he clenches it into a fist on the table. A slight blush spreads on the young knight's face though it's mixed in with a slight frown as he retracts his hand.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“But, thanks to his faithful comrade, this knight was brought back from the edge of madness. Apparently, they went on this fantastical journey to the moon or something. Then the knight remembered his duties, went to war, and killed the enemy king. That’s pretty much it.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“So… how did this particular knight die?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“...He got caught in an ambush and fucking died. That’s pretty much it.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Wonderful.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]It seems for a while that an awkward silence will fill the void once the main courses are brought in. As you consume the cheese-covered pasta with the grilled chicken Berserker clears his throat after finishing off the last bite of his burger. You can only wonder how he manages to eat so quickly. Or how he manages not to bite his tongue with that speed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“I guess, what I’m getting at is that love itself is pure madness. It ruins kingdoms and lives. But, even so, I-I guess that I want to truly experience it. Even though it’s burned me bad, I just want a chance to fall in love and find that far-off peace that I could never grasp.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“...That’s surprisingly pure, especially coming you Berserker.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Don’t give me that crap, there’s just no merit to a life full of fighting if you’ve basically got no place in times of peace. In the end, I was just someone who never got to do anything but kill. No better than a broken blade.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“Still, you managed to become renowned enough to become a Heroic Spirit, didn’t you? If you hadn’t fought as hard as you did back then, I would have never been able to meet you.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]“...Guess so.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14.6667px]He smiles softly as you receive the check and pay it off. Based on the thinly-veiled story that Berserker gave, you can hazard a guess. You also gaze over at Richelieu and his older companion. This seemed like a worthwhile chance to learn more about the Overseer and the Church. Though, it seems like that other strange pair has already left the restaurant. [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= 14.6667px]“Berserker, you’re [WRITE-IN GUESS], aren’t you?”[/SIZE]

2. [SIZE= 14.6667px]Approach Ghyslain Richelieu and possibly inquire about the various happenings of the Holy Grail War.[/SIZE]

3. [SIZE= 14.6667px][???] [/SIZE][SIZE= 14.6667px]“Come to me, wayward fragment.”[/SIZE]

I agree, 3's looking mighty dangerous right about now.

1. "Berserker, you're Orlando, aren't you?"

2. Approach Ghyslain Richelieu and possibly inquire about the various happenings of the Holy Grail War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back